What a season finale should truly be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
    Actually, I knew what you meant. And you're right on that. =)

And sure you can compare Wraith to Cylons! But very sadly, Cylons don't have Todd, so...they lose. =( Do hot sexy robotic chicks make up for it though? I wonder.
    I think for many people, hot sexy robotic chicks make up for a LOT!

For me, I can forgive a lot if handsome men are involved, but I find myself being less and less forgiving these days. It's weird, I'm actually expecting some good stories or acting or something!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

BSG is military/character-driven, but it's sci-fi nonetheless. At least in BSG, the characters are not one-sided and they actually change, have flaws and we can relate to more than one of em. In SG? John, the super hero who never fails and who lays every woman in Pegasus, McKay, the super genius who knows everything, Teyla, the warrior woman who is so cliche and who dramatically was born without a personality, and Ronon, who...well...I love Ronon.
      Personally, I can't really relate to any of Galactica's characters, except maybe Tyrol, who seems the most "normal" person (except for how he's a robot now ). They have flaws, but some of them have so many flaws that they shouldn't be able to function as people.
      I can relate much better to the characters of both Stargates. They seem more real to me, although I'll admit that Teyla hasn't been given quite as much attention over the four years as she should have been. I think your descriptions of John and Rodney are kind of exaggerated, as Jill Ion already pointed out.

Sorry, but. The end was very dramatic? An atrociously poorly made CGI sequence of a building collapsing on top of a team we know will survive for the next season? Oh how dramatic! John flying a nuke-equipped jumper into a hive ship at the end of season one was more dramatic and felt less forced. I know everyone has tastes and all, but here I am seriously questionning yours.
      It didn't exactly seem likely that John was going to blow himself up, though? As I and others have mentioned in other threads, we've always known that SG-1 or Shep's team would make it out of the cliffhangers, so why is this year any different?

If you saw the last episode of season one of BSG, when Adama gets shot by Boomer, now THAT was dramatic and left you on the edge of your seat. As did Crossroads Part 2. No matter how you look at it, the ending of TLM was poorly done in every way, story-wise and also visually.
      Kobol's Last Gleaming, I'll give you, but while Starbuck's return was a (unwelcome) surprise, I don't think the rest of the cast are in any real danger.

As for the awards, I said "Emmy" only, because to me it's one of the two only awards that actually matter in the long list that a sci-fi show can win.
      Why do any matter? All awards things - Oscars, Emmys, BAFTAs - are just people's opinions, and I don't see why their panels are better to judge than anyone else.

Comment

There is already an Atlantis vs. BSG thread. Suffice to say, some prefer one to the other and some like both or even neither. But as far as Atlantis's season finale goes, I think this one left a lot to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
          I don't think the cliffhanger ending is supposed to be us wondering who survived. Sheppard and co. got to this building early and Rodney set the booby trap off so it's now a pile of rubble. They aren't going to find Michael and Teyla there now so it will be a race against time to learn where she's being taken in this alternate time line. Yes, they altered the future but not in the way they wanted to.
          That's what I'm saying. Why do such a finale when we know they'll survive? Why not end the season on a real suspense? A cliffhanger doesn't mean you HAVE to have someone who might die.

Comment

A cliffhanger doesn't mean you HAVE to have someone who might die.
            *pats Dem on the head* You must be new here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              *pats Dem on the head* You must be new here.
              Haha. Yes, I am. That's what happens when you injure yourself, and got too much time on your hands...hopefully I'm back on my feet before motorcycle season and then I can stop arguing on here

Comment

Haha. Yes, I am. That's what happens when you injure yourself, and got too much time on your hands...hopefully I'm back on my feet before motorcycle season and then I can stop arguing on here
                Just load up on your pain meds and Atlantis will get a whole lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  Just load up on your pain meds and Atlantis will get a whole lot better.
                  You know, that sounds damn good right now. But sadly, got a club meeting tonight and I gotta drive, so...no pain meds! Besides, can you picture me telling em "hey, I watch sci-fi shows and then I go argue online!"? Kind of hard to look tough after that.

Comment

Maat: Torchwood and Doctor Who babiez!!!! YAY!! So cute, and jack's still flirting with people.
                    --
                    I found the episode itself quite intriguing and engaging, touching events with those great 'stuff blew up!!!' moments re: Sam and her Phoenix and Ronon n Todd.

The building collapse was a bad choice as cliffhanger when the 'stuck 48,000 years in the future' angle would have been far more interesting, and potentially harder to get out of. 'Stuck under rubble' is boring. I know they'll get out, and worse, the potential ways they could get out are as bland as getting stuck there in the first place [secret tunnels, beaming tech, etc.] Unless they're all seriously injured and can't leave sick bay for 3 episodes, I'm bored.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                      Maat: Torchwood and Doctor Who babiez!!!! YAY!! So cute, and jack's still flirting with people.
                      --
                      I found the episode itself quite intriguing and engaging, touching events with those great 'stuff blew up!!!' moments re: Sam and her Phoenix and Ronon n Todd.

The building collapse was a bad choice as cliffhanger when the 'stuck 48,000 years in the future' angle would have been far more interesting, and potentially harder to get out of. 'Stuck under rubble' is boring. I know they'll get out, and worse, the potential ways they could get out are as bland as getting stuck there in the first place [secret tunnels, beaming tech, etc.] Unless they're all seriously injured and can't leave sick bay for 3 episodes, I'm bored.
                      Amen to that.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        It's times like this when I ponder whether to release some spoilers or not.

Hmmm, let's see...you think they get out unscathed do you? Really?

Ok then.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          It's times like this when I ponder whether to release some spoilers or not.

Hmmm, let's see...you think they get out unscathed do you? Really?

Ok then.
                          I really hope they don't, personally. Remember Heroes Part 2? We knew Jack would survive, but he got shot pretty good. Or Sam in Line in the Sand.

If they all get injured at least a bit, then I'll be happy. =P

Comment

For me, the falling building isn't the cliffhanger. It's "Will they find Teyla and Michael in time?" The falling building was just icing on the cake, a bit of over-the-top, hyperbolic, "What else can happen?!" after all we'd been put through watching the potential demise of the Team. I mean OTT and hyperbolic in a good way.

(Taking out the nice Lorne and Looooove moments, and Shep in Danger! moments)

1. Shep gets sent 48k yrs in the future
                            2. Teyla dies
                            3. Ronon dies
                            4. Sam dies
                            5. Woolsey appears
                            6. Keller leaves
                            7. McKay leaves
                            8. Keller dies
                            9. McKay devotes his life to a potentially futile endeavor
                            10. Shep returns!
                            11. They don't find Teyla
                            12. McKay triggers a booby trap

*pause*

13. The building falls down on them.

#13 is a nice period after all of that trauma and drama. It's almost dark, dry British humor that invoked a loud R-rated verbal response from me.

Comment

awesome post Jill_Ion, my thoughts exactly
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                                awesome post Jill_Ion, my thoughts exactly
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X