Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/awards

Share what you're smoking, please. I just ran out. =)
    You said "SG," so I assume they're including SG-1 in their assessment.
    Theoretically spoilerish:
    Spoiler:
    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

BSG is military/character-driven, but it's sci-fi nonetheless. At least in BSG, the characters are not one-sided and they actually change, have flaws and we can relate to more than one of em. In SG? John, the super hero who never fails and who lays every woman in Pegasus, McKay, the super genius who knows everything, Teyla, the warrior woman who is so cliche and who dramatically was born without a personality, and Ronon, who...well...I love Ronon.
      Shep isn't a super hero, and he has failed. He just fails very well. He also doesn't lay every woman in Pegasus, because if he did there'd be a few thousand Shep thunkers breaking down the doors of the SGC.

McKay is a super genius, but obviously doesn't know everything since he blew up 4/5th of a solar system. Also, he couldn't complete the Replicator virus w/o help from Todd.

Teyla isn't cliche, IMHO, and I find her quite personable. She was more of a diplomat between Atlantis and the rest of the PG than Weir ever was. (Sad to say, but it's true.)

I love Ronon too.

As someone who doesn't watch BSG (I've seen three eps overall), comparing the two shows is not relevant, but your opinion of TLM in itself is.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
        You said "SG," so I assume they're including SG-1 in their assessment.
        Hey, good point. I did mean SG:A.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
          Shep isn't a super hero, and he has failed. He just fails very well. He also doesn't lay every woman in Pegasus, because if he did there'd be a few thousand Shep thunkers breaking down the doors of the SGC.

McKay is a super genius, but obviously doesn't know everything since he blew up 4/5th of a solar system. Also, he couldn't complete the Replicator virus w/o help from Todd.

Teyla isn't cliche, IMHO, and I find her quite personable. She was more of a diplomat between Atlantis and the rest of the PG than Weir ever was. (Sad to say, but it's true.)

I love Ronon too.

As someone who doesn't watch BSG (I've seen three eps overall), comparing the two shows is not relevant, but your opinion of TLM in itself is.
          When put in such a nice way, how could I disagree? =)

And btw, in my book, blowing up stars or solar systems is actually cool....well, when they're not unhabited. >.> So McKay got points for that one anyway.

Comment

Atlantis got two Emmy nominations, both for the soundtrack. They got three Saturns nominations, one for best actress, Tori Higginson, and two for best show. The other awards simply don't matter.
            Ah. I stand corrected, then. I don't follow awards, so I was mostly guessing.

As for the whole budget/time thing, I kind of agree. But I thought the writing has been getting worse and worse lately and that's not budget related.
            Oh, I definitely agree there, I just hated seeing the behind-the-scenes technomancers being dissed.

And I fully agree about the ending and how the episode could have been better. Mind you, I did watch it 4 times so I like it quite a bit, but I just watch the Ronon/Todd and Sam's death moments all over again.
            I also think that with a title like The Last Man it would have been far more illustrative to end it with Shep literally seeming to be the last man. And for all that you enjoy watching everyone die over and over again, don't you think it'd have been more effective to watch them as actual events rather than as pseudo-flashbacks? Poor use of resources, IMO. I don't think they approached this from the right angle.

Comment

Oh! I mis-spoke! I didn't mean to say that your viewing or opinion of BSG wasn't important or relevant. It could certainly shape how you view SGA or other programs.

What I meant to say...I think...is that doing a comparison here, for me as a non-BSG viewer, wasn't really relevant because non-BSG viewers can't relate, and since the shows are so different, it's like comparing apples to oranges...or Wraith to Cylons.

Comment

When put in such a nice way, how could I disagree? =)

And btw, in my book, blowing up stars or solar systems is actually cool....well, when they're not unhabited. >.> So McKay got points for that one anyway.
                Yeah, blowing up the Project Arcturus system was pretty cool.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/awards

Share what you're smoking, please. I just ran out. =)
                  You made two mistakes.

First, you only looked at Atlantis nominations. Second, you used presumed IMDb to be a reliable source.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                    Oh! I mis-spoke! I didn't mean to say that your viewing or opinion of BSG wasn't important or relevant. It could certainly shape how you view SGA or other programs.

What I meant to say...I think...is that doing a comparison here, for me as a non-BSG viewer, wasn't really relevant because non-BSG viewers can't relate, and since the shows are so different, it's like comparing apples to oranges...or Wraith to Cylons.
                    Actually, I knew what you meant. And you're right on that. =)

And sure you can compare Wraith to Cylons! But very sadly, Cylons don't have Todd, so...they lose. =( Do hot sexy robotic chicks make up for it though? I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      You made two mistakes.

First, you only looked at Atlantis nominations. Second, you used presumed IMDb to be a reliable source.
                      I meant SG:A only. SG-1 is dead and buried.

And perhaps IMDB is not reliable, but the Emmy website probably is and it says the same. =)

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Second, you used presumed IMDb to be a reliable source.
                        Is IMDB actually wrong in this case or are you playing the logical fallacy of tossing the babe out with the bathwater?

Comment

BSG is military/character-driven, but it's sci-fi nonetheless. At least in BSG, the characters are not one-sided and they actually change, have flaws and we can relate to more than one of em. In SG? John, the super hero who never fails and who lays every woman in Pegasus, McKay, the super genius who knows everything, Teyla, the warrior woman who is so cliche and who dramatically was born without a personality, and Ronon, who...well...I love Ronon.
                          And in BSG Baltar get's laid by his mind or a cylon in nearly every ep. BSG is nothing more than a scifi sex drama. They ruined BSG for me. i feel the BSG characters are one sided not SGA's.

Sorry, but. The end was very dramatic? An atrociously poorly made CGI sequence of a building collapsing on top of a team we know will survive for the next season? Oh how dramatic! John flying a nuke-equipped jumper into a hive ship at the end of season one was more dramatic and felt less forced. I know everyone has tastes and all, but here I am seriously questionning yours.
                          Question my tastes all you want but I disagree. I loved this finale.

If you saw the last episode of season one of BSG, when Adama gets shot by Boomer, now THAT was dramatic and left you on the edge of your seat. As did Crossroads Part 2. No matter how you look at it, the ending of TLM was poorly done in every way, story-wise and also visually.
                          Yes it was but the show went downhill very fast after that. Again no I don't see TLM ending being poorly done. Maybe to you it was but not me.

Ever seen SG nominated for an Emmy for anything but music? Didn't think so.
                          Uh yeah I have even a people's choice award.

BSG had nominations for visual effects and also for some of the actors, on top of actually winning one. Oh, and it's the highest rated show on IMBD. So I'm not sure you know what good writing is.

But you'll argue that nothing I said is relevent, so, what's the point?
                          Listen my opinion is as valid as yours and I don't need insults. I like the writing of the show and you don't. I hate BSG you don't that's fine but it's my opinion.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            And in BSG Baltar get's laid by his mind or a cylon in nearly every ep. BSG is nothing more than a scifi sex drama. They ruined BSG for me. i feel the BSG characters are one sided not SGA's.

Question my tastes all you want but I disagree. I loved this finale.

Yes it was but the show went downhill very fast after that. Again no I don't see TLM ending being poorly done. Maybe to you it was but not me.

Uh yeah I have even a people's choice award.

Listen my opinion is as valid as yours and I don't need insults. I like the writing of the show and you don't. I hate BSG you don't that's fine but it's my opinion.
                            I wasn't insulting, I appologize if it sounded like I was. I just really think the ending was anti-climactic, with the bad CGI and all.

As for Baltar and Six, I have to say you're right. I tried not to pay attention to them, and I found myself skipping those scenes to get back to the real story. But in a way, I think it gives the show a human side. You have to admit, sex is a big thing in today's society. It's everywhere and is an easy way to make money. I think the show is realistic (Baltar/Six not included) in the fact that the characters are human, flawed and we can relate to many of them.

As for the awards, I said "Emmy" only, because to me it's one of the two only awards that actually matter in the long list that a sci-fi show can win.

It's the last time I reply to you though, I always have a hard time dealing with fanboys who think their fetish series is perfect. Even I am able to give in to certain points and admit that others can be right in some way even if I kinda disagree with them.

Comment

So this has become a BSG vs SGA thread huh? Well I love both shows for what they are, I feel both shows have dynamic characters. It truly is one's opinion what they think of the show and it's characters.

One person insulted me a few weeks ago on another forum. We were discussing different shows and they said to me "oh obviously you don't watch the show" Well you know what, I wanted to reply with "I was going to say the same thing about you." Did I? Nah, I just said it was messed up what they said. They never replied back.

To attack someone for their opinion is low. People may not agree on things but so Fracking what.
                              sigpic

Comment

I don't think the cliffhanger ending is supposed to be us wondering who survived. Sheppard and co. got to this building early and Rodney set the booby trap off so it's now a pile of rubble. They aren't going to find Michael and Teyla there now so it will be a race against time to learn where she's being taken in this alternate time line. Yes, they altered the future but not in the way they wanted to.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X