Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the people who said Keller was too young.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
    No one complained that Carson was a completely unrealistic doctor who had the time to do all kinds of cutting edge research and keep his medical skills up to snuff.
    I did.

Comment

Well, okay then. Cheers!
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by joebags View Post
        I still haven't seen Keller do anything that proves to me she is a competent doctor or surgeon. All I hear come out of her mouth is, "There is nothing I can do" or "I don't kow what else to do." We know one thing, she doesn't do CPR correctly.
        Carson was no better in that situation, and really that is what you are doing right? Comparing?

Well lets compare then... Carson's medical activities directly lead to mass murder... Keller not so much.

Keller for the win \o/

Comment

Originally posted by Emme View Post
          Can you give me the time index of where she does this please. I watched it recently and don't remember her screaming at the top of her lungs...........
          TEYLA!!!!!!!!!

*LOL* OMG - SciFi Channel even has it on their "watch Atlantis" promos. I laugh every time I see that commercial.

Sorry, I'm with the camp that says, "If killer(s) is/are after you, you do not run around screaming. You STFU!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
            TEYLA!!!!!!!!!

*LOL* OMG - SciFi Channel even has it on their "watch Atlantis" promos. I laugh every time I see that commercial.

Sorry, I'm with the camp that says, "If killer(s) is/are after you, you do not run around screaming. You STFU!
            Ahhh so shouting a name not Ahhhhhhhhhhh screaming. I follow ya. I thought you meant something different. Saying that though I would probably call out to find the warrior who could protect me rather than stay alone with the killers who could hunt me down whether I'm screaming or not. Oh and if STFU means what I think it means NOT NICE!!!
            Big meanie

In uk we don't get your promo's we get a rap
            S-T-A-R-G-A-T- TO THE E WOOOOOW

Thought it was quite inventive at first but now it grates on me.

Comment

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
              I see you subscribe to Gottfried Liebniz's best-of-all-possible-worlds philosophy.

Just remember, TBTB aren't really God, they just play them on TV.
              They aren't?

*looks at TPTB altar*

Uh oh.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
              O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                They aren't?*looks at TPTB altar*Uh oh.
                Why aren't you worshipping my alter?
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  hallowed is the almighty jelgate
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Uh...uh...uh...

*replaces TPTB with Jelgate*

What do you mean? Your altar is right here!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                      Well lets compare then... Carson's medical activities directly lead to mass murder... Keller not so much.
                      Jennifer's action directly lead to Elizabeth taking over the Asuran survivors and who knows what she's got in store for us? John's actions lead to the death of Kate Heightmeyer.

Sam's actions in season 8 lead to the deaths of countless people in the Milky Way. Hitler's pediatrician's actions lead to the Holocaust.

You cannot blame people for doing something they believe is for the good and then have it blow back in their face in totally unpredictable ways. Carson was lied to. What is he, psychic?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        Jennifer's action directly lead to Elizabeth taking over the Asuran survivors and who knows what she's got in store for us?
                        We don't actually know if the Weir we saw at the end of BAMSR is our real life weir or a clone repli version.

Comment

I could handle Keller as the #2 doctor; then her age would be almost immaterial. If she'd been introduced as Carson's protege that'd be easy to accept.

As things are, I'm going with the backstory that she *was* supposed to be brought in under Carson, and had had intensive training to be the assistant to the CMO on Atlantis, and (improbable as it may seem) when he died all the other more experienced doctors on the SGC's list just happenned to have personal reasons for not wanting to leave their home galaxy, and so Keller was sent.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that there wasn't a doctor already on Atlantis who was able to take on the job? It means that either Carson was the only doctor, or else Carson's anonymous 2iC (one of the Brightest and Best, as weir said) wasn't up to the job. I suppose that perhaps they died too, but offscreen.

[/ramble]

Madeleine

Comment

I get the impression that Keller didn't just show up to be the doctor after Carson left. I'd always thought she'd been there. We just never saw her.

Comment

I have watched the episode and Jennifer talking about her background was in response to Ronon telling her that when she first arrived on Atlantis that he didn't feel she belonged. She was explaining that for all of her life she has always felt she never belonged.

She has lost her mother in the past so she does understand what it feels like to lose someone you love. Everyones pain is relative to that person and judging her harshly on that is unfair.

Also no-one can say how they would react when facing what Jennifer did in missing. Rodney still carries on when faced with danger but that was not pointed out and he's been going out in the field longer than Jennifer.

In Missing she had to face men who she was told would basically kill her, her fear of heights and vertigo (not an easy thing to deal with regardless of circumstance - I suffer a fear of heights as wells as arachnophobia - it is very difficult to push past no matter the circumstance), perform life saving surgery with practically next to no equipment and eat raw meat which I'm sure would turn everyones stomach at the thought. At the end she wasn't being tactless she was thanking Teyla for keeping her alive and giving her the chance to see her father again which is important to her as she had explained he was all she had.

Also despite her inexperience I do not find her to be immature. She handles medical emergencies well and with confidence.

In the Seer even Carson would have responded in the same way - nothing he could do and he was more experienced. As a health care professional I don't expect the CMO to perform miracles which is the message I am getting from your posts. Not all experienced people want the top job, they are quite happy for someone else to have to deal with all the problems that come with the job.

In Quarantine she was locked in the infirmary. I would not expect hazmat gear to be in that and I believe in the episode where there was a previous contagion and lockdown Carson and his staff had to go and get into the hazmat gear. Also sitting around for as long as she was in hazmat gear is not appropriate - dehaydration , ventilation system not working and as no-one knew where the source was she would already be considered as infectious.

The most I would have expected would be that when patients eventually arrived that she would don gloves, gown, mask and protective eyewear - basically what would happen in hospital environment I suspect that everyone in Atlantis would have been considered infectious until tests prove otherwise. Also I have still to figure out how the staff locked in the infirmary during an outbreak were meant to help people if they couldn't actually get to them with Rodney's updated plan.

I treat the stories in the show for what they are - science fiction so I don't expect any role to be as realistic as in real life - I enjoy them for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazzie View Post
                                In Quarantine she was locked in the infirmary. I would not expect hazmat gear to be in that and I believe in the episode where there was a previous contagion and lockdown Carson and his staff had to go and get into the hazmat gear. Also sitting around for as long as she was in hazmat gear is not appropriate - dehaydration , ventilation system not working and as no-one knew where the source was she would already be considered as infectious.
                                I don't remember that.

There's a very effective cure for dehydration called drinking water. And she could've just put the suit on without sealing it, waiting for the lockdown to clear and the patients to stream in (as she was expecting them to).

Originally posted by Kazzie View Post
                                The most I would have expected would be that when patients eventually arrived that she would don gloves, gown, mask and protective eyewear - basically what would happen in hospital environment I suspect that everyone in Atlantis would have been considered infectious until tests prove otherwise. Also I have still to figure out how the staff locked in the infirmary during an outbreak were meant to help people if they couldn't actually get to them with Rodney's updated plan.
                                You know why she should've put on a hazmat suit? Because it's a lockdown. It's Atlantis. You never know what kind of diseases could come through the gate and smite you. Why should Jennifer have put on a hazmat suit? Why her? Because she's the CMO. Not only will she have to run the infirmary, she's supposedly one of (if not the) their best doctors.

If she were to randomly get infected by the first person to come into the infirmary and then incapacitated, that would be very bad. And since this is Pegasus, they can't just fly off to the nearest hospital. This is why it is imperative for her to take precautions in situations like these, major quarantine lockdowns where Atlantis itself is saying "Something big's going on" (Jennifer believed the outbreak was real).

Comment

Working...
                                X