Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Outcast" Pre-Airing and Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on this episode on Mallozzi's Aug 8 blog:
    Still looking for a title for the Sheppard on Earth story we finished breaking yesterday. To those of you who are using the bio on the Sci Fi website as a guide, stand advised - the reference to his father being a Cold War Colonel is not canon. I’m not even sure where it came from. So, expect some insight into Shep’s past relationships late in season four.
    I always wondered about that when it was first posted about his father before the show even aired.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

There's also this bit:

Anonymous #1 writes: “It does make me wonder if he had not approached you with this plot, would we have gotten any Sheppard back story at all this season?”

Answer: Delving into Sheppard’s backstory was one of the things on our To-Do list at the beginning of the season, and Joe’s idea gives us the perfect scenario in which to do it.

Grey writes: “On the SciFi website, for Sheppard's character it describes him as "the son of a respected Cold War colonel". In the upcoming Sheppard-on-Earth storyline, might we learn anything about said father (ie: dead, alive, disowned) or is that something initially thought of that doesn't fit the character anymore?”

Answer: That didn’t come from us.
      http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...st-8-2007.html

Comment

Hmmm....well that throws a lot of fanfics about Shep's childhood as an Army brat out the window
        click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing. One of the perils of writing fanfiction for an ongoing series.
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
            I was thinking the exact same thing. One of the perils of writing fanfiction for an ongoing series.
            LOL. I wouldn't know, though, because I'm not stupid enough to write a background story without all the facts *tries to cover-up fic about Rodney building the nuke in 6th grade behind her back* Nope. Never. *averts eyes guiltly*

I'm so weird.

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
              LOL. I wouldn't know, though, because I'm not stupid enough to write a background story without all the facts *tries to cover-up fic about Rodney building the nuke in 6th grade behind her back* Nope. Never. *averts eyes guiltly*

I'm so weird.
              Isn't that where the term "getting jossed" came from?
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                Isn't that where the term "getting jossed" came from?
                *snort* LOL! Here's some mental GREEN for you!

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                  Hmmm....well that throws a lot of fanfics about Shep's childhood as an Army brat out the window

A couple of my fics are now "wrong" because what's happened on screen contradicts stuff I've written but it's just fanfic. All fan fiction is essentially one big AU anyway.

I'm now really excited about this episode because it's suddenly become far less predictable and far more fascinating. I never believed the bios were canon anyway so it's nice that we really don't know anything about Sheppard's past going into this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Josie View Post
                    it's nice that we really don't know anything about Sheppard's past going into this episode.
                    Exciting, isn't it?
                    sigpic

Comment

A couple of my fics are now "wrong" because what's happened on screen contradicts stuff I've written but it's just fanfic. All fan fiction is essentially one big AU anyway.

I'm now really excited about this episode because it's suddenly become far less predictable and far more fascinating. I never believed the bios were canon anyway so it's nice that we really don't know anything about Sheppard's past going into this episode.

Not having that bio as canon certainly leaves things a lot more open in what angles they are going to go with this story. Just not knowing how this one is going to be spun..well...SQUEE!! It's going to be great to have an actual surprise episode!
                      sigpic

Comment

It'd be interesting if Sheppard came from a smart family where his parents always wanted him to go to a good college and become a doctor or something, but instead joined the Air Force. Talk about a twist lol.
                        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

^Well I've always said he's more like McKay than he's prepared to admit.

Comment

I've complained before that next to Teyla, John has the least development. He may have tons of screen time but he's closed off, except for the times he's been unguarded with Teyla (predominantly) and Ronon. The man is a mystery; and I don't know about you all, but I've gotten tired of the enigmatic hero. I need more from him, to understand his recklessness, to understand why he's so guarded, to understand why he became a soldier. The daddy idea gave me one aspect, but since that's been tossed I need something more. I want to know what shaped the man. I may not have watched a lot of SG1, but I did see a few eps in S1 and I learned a lot about Jack. For the last 3 years with John---I've learned the most miniscule amount. It's a bit distressing...I like the character more so because I feel he has a lot to offer, hence the reason I adore Teyla and Ronon so much.

It's unfortunate though that I have not heard much on John's backstory for this season and that's a bit worrisome. Maybe what they're doing is dropping a few hints (facts) here and there during the season to develop John rather than one straight backstory. I do think that Doppelganger will surface a few frightening truths for John that I'll be able to eat up. Unfortunately I don't find that to be the same with "Travelers" <--- could be the reason I'm not too excited about the ep overall.

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                            It'd be interesting if Sheppard came from a smart family where his parents always wanted him to go to a good college and become a doctor or something, but instead joined the Air Force. Talk about a twist lol.
                            It would be nice but I don't think that's likely. I think he was raised on the wrong part of the tracks and probably an orphan (probably his mother or father gave him over to the state). He seems to have "abandonment issues"---gives me the impression that he's been left behind and so it's become a motto he doesn't release especially when he's become close to people who are family. Then there's his attitude dating back to LFP when he was a bit, dare I say, "shame-faced" when Weir mentioned family. He shook his head in the negative. A man with a family, even one that he broke ties with would still something back if it proved his demise (ie. McKay's video to his sister). So that solidified the fact he has no one for me.

I get the feeling that after the state knocked him out he joined the military and made his career and life with the military. Developing some friendships that he recognized as family although he's not one to speak on how much they mean to him. Or it could be some guilt because of some accident that happened that took his family away and he lived. Some people act as though they were left behind based on the massive guilt they carry with them, but I don't think that's the case with John---although it might be an alternative.
                            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

^Well I've always said he's more like McKay than he's prepared to admit.
                              That's probably true. Remember his look in M&MM when Rod said that his Sheppard made our Rodney look modest?
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              sigpic

Comment

Big hint from JM:

Anonymous #1 writes: “Will Shep's ex wife be mentioned in the backstory?”

Answer: She will be making an appearance.
                                http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...st-9-2007.html

Comment

Working...
                                X