Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Outcast" Pre-Airing and Speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is from the Comic Con SGA panel:

Question: I know that Joe Flanigan wanted to do more Sheppard backstory, but will fans really see it?

Joe Mallozzi: In fact, actually, that’s what we were talking about on Friday. We’re spinning Sheppard’s backstory, specifically the fact that in “Letters from Pegasus,” he didn’t really seem to have anyone out there and the question is sort of ‘why?’ and it’s something we discussed on Friday and we’ve got something really cool planned which I’m not at liberty to reveal right now, but Joe [Flanigan] came up with a great springboard for a story. We’re going back to Earth-

Joe Flanigan: Was that the one that’s not scrapped? I just wanted..

Joe Mallozzi: You’ll love it, trust me, you’ll love it.
    http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/85558.html

Special thanks to prion for transcribing it for those of us outside the USA. Remember to green her lots!

Comment

*runs around squeeeing madly*

What I love about the comment above is that it not only confirms that the ep will include the backstory and exactly what parts of his backstory (i.e. his family - or lack of?) but it very much sounds like thie ep centers around the backstory - that that is the focus or impetus of the story - which means that, hopefully, we won't end up with another Epiphany where the backstory elements got cut.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        This is from the Comic Con SGA panel:

http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/85558.html

Special thanks to prion for transcribing it for those of us outside the USA. Remember to green her lots!
        Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        *runs around squeeeing madly*

What I love about the comment above is that it not only confirms that the ep will include the backstory and exactly what parts of his backstory (i.e. his family - or lack of?) but it very much sounds like thie ep centers around the backstory - that that is the focus or impetus of the story - which means that, hopefully, we won't end up with another Epiphany where the backstory elements got cut.
        *does squee! dance* Eek! This ep sounds awesome! I totally agree with you Alipeeps, it sounds like backstory is going to be the main focus. Squee! At last we'll get some real backstory for Shep!!
        click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Update:

Finally, we will get around to breaking that Sheppard on Earth story next week along with what we hope will be the season finale.
          http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...st-2-2007.html
          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Now this is odd, since Joe has mentioned a few times in the past (and at Comic Con) how they've already at the spinning stage of this story.

I've got to ask him a few questions...

Comment

Now this is odd, since Joe has mentioned a few times in the past (and at Comic Con) how they've already at the spinning stage of this story.

I've got to ask him a few questions...
              Um.. I think the difference is between spinning and breaking. From my understanding, spinning is them sitting around discussing the story idea and what to do with it and developing it into a plot (which they've already done on this ep) and then breaking it (which they are planning to now do) is actually sitting down and writing the basic plot/storyboard for the episode and actually breaking it down scene by scene as to what will happen and how.
              sigpic

Comment

Hmmm...you might be right there. I just searched Joe's blog and came up with this:

And it turned out to be a good call. We needed the energy as we finally finished breaking Rise of the Googlions Part I today. I’ll be doing the honors, which means I get to work on the outline this weekend.
                http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...ne-8-2007.html

So breaking comes right before Outline-making? Crap...did I just show utter ignorance in front of Joe?! Oh, how can I live with myself now?!

Comment

So breaking comes right before Outline-making? Crap...did I just show utter ignorance in front of Joe?! Oh, how can I live with myself now?!
                  My understanding of the process is:

1. Spinning the story (getting the general idea of setting, events, outcome etc)
                  2. Breaking the story (really taking it apart and breaking it into acts and what will happen when and how)
                  3. Outline (putting together an outline of the story, how it will break down scene by scene with what happens where and when in the story etc)
                  4. Writing the damn script!

P.S. Worry not... compared to half the posters on Joe's blog, you are a shining beacon of intellectual excellence, wit and poise...
                  sigpic

Comment

I rather like that description.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      My understanding of the process is:

1. Spinning the story (getting the general idea of setting, events, outcome etc)
                      2. Breaking the story (really taking it apart and breaking it into acts and what will happen when and how)
                      3. Outline (putting together an outline of the story, how it will break down scene by scene with what happens where and when in the story etc)
                      4. Writing the damn script!

P.S. Worry not... compared to half the posters on Joe's blog, you are a shining beacon of intellectual excellence, wit and poise...
                      See, what I'm most curious about this ep (besides the fact that we get to learn more about Shep's backstory! squee!) is how they're going to still make it cool and scifi-y. What do you think brings him to Earth? We've mentioned family issues, but what about something to do with his gene? Thoughts?

I rather like that description.

Thanks!
                      It's sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                        See, what I'm most curious about this ep (besides the fact that we get to learn more about Shep's backstory! squee!) is how they're going to still make it cool and scifi-y. What do you think brings him to Earth? We've mentioned family issues, but what about something to do with his gene? Thoughts?

For some reason, I think the sci-fi elements will be a bigger part of the B-plot in this ep. Or maybe there will be issues on the Daedalus, a la "Intruders". Or maybe Shep attempts to hide from his family by hanging out in the SGC labs, helping them with the Ancient tech.

And then his estranged father/mother/sister/brother/cousin/gerbil comes on base to talk to him, and in the middle of an awkward conversation, something he activated goes wonky, and he has to save the day.
                        "You wanted to know about my life? Well this is it!" (attempts to do something heroic and falls flat on his behind. Achieves heroism on second go-round)
                        They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                        Spoiler:
                        Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

News from JM:

PG-15 writes: ...2. You mentioned breaking the Shep-on-Earth story next week, but I thought you guys have already spun it out, or at least broken it already? 3. So, Martin Gero is doing "Harmony"? Wow, so he's writing his "Three's Company" episode, the JF-pitched story, AND Harmony? He's going to be busy.”

Answers: ...2. We started spinning the story but took a break to work on Harmony, then will switch gears again to work on the Sheppard on Earth story next week. 3. Martin was writing the Sheppard on Earth story but, having finished Trio (formerly Three’s Company), he will start on Harmony while Alan McCullough assumes writing duties on the JF-inspired eppy.
                          http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...st-3-2007.html

Comment

News from JM:

<snip>while Alan McCullough assumes writing duties on the JF-inspired eppy.
                            Oh drat. And I was so excited about this one too. Maybe I jinxed it. I know MG can't write everything, but..... *sigh* This is a major disappointment. Gero's done so well with McKay backstory. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with Shep backstory.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starfox View Post
                              For some reason, I think the sci-fi elements will be a bigger part of the B-plot in this ep. Or maybe there will be issues on the Daedalus, a la "Intruders". Or maybe Shep attempts to hide from his family by hanging out in the SGC labs, helping them with the Ancient tech.

And then his estranged father/mother/sister/brother/cousin/gerbil comes on base to talk to him, and in the middle of an awkward conversation, something he activated goes wonky, and he has to save the day.
                              "You wanted to know about my life? Well this is it!" (attempts to do something heroic and falls flat on his behind. Achieves heroism on second go-round
                              )
                              *snort* That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while It's totally something I could see happening.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                              Oh drat. And I was so excited about this one too. Maybe I jinxed it. I know MG can't write everything, but..... *sigh* This is a major disappointment. Gero's done so well with McKay backstory. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with Shep backstory.
                              *joins in the dissapointment* What has Allan written? Just so we can get an idea of what we can expect.

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                                *joins in the dissapointment* What has Allan written? Just so we can get an idea of what we can expect.
                                I'm thinking PG15 will get this answered before I get it posted but....

Prototype
                                Stronghold
                                Off The Grid
                                Arthur's Mantle
                                Insiders
                                Company of Thieves
                                Line in the Sand
                                The Road Not Taken

I think he's also doing Tabula Rasa and The Seer.

I can't say I've been particularly taken with anything he's done so far. I don't hate them (except for Insiders), but they'll probably never go on a favorites list. Arthur's Mantle is probably the one I like the best of the bunch.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X