Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Vala over to Stargate Atlantis Thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vala is my favourite Stargate character, but moving her to Atlantis would be a big mistake imo.

Mainly because there would be no point, as her contacts are all in the Milky Way, and she delt with the Goa'uld and Ori, not the Ancients.

Perhaps she could do a special apperance if they needed a master thief, or if she went with the SG1 team to face an Goa'uld or Ori threat, but other than that, i see no reason to go there.

I would love to see her in the 3rd series if its set in the MW galaxy
    Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

i would aslso like to see vala in the third spinoff we have only seen about a season and ahalf of her i think she one of stargates funniest charactors and brings something new to the show

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
        I think that before the writers start making any new additions to the show, they need to figure out what to do with the characters they already have.
        I think the problem is that the writers aren't interested in the Atlantis characters or what they have to offer. If they were, they wouldn't keep trying to make the show closer and closer to what SG-1 is/was... and they wouldn't continuously use Atlantis to showcase SG-1. And I think this goes beyond the whole "It's a spinoff so of course it's going to have some crossovers." First because we are past the point of "some" and- with the advent of the coming season- heading into "constant" and second because all of these wonderful crossovers meant to show that both programs operate in the same universe have been decidedly one-sided.

Compare the number of times that SG-1 plots/characters have shown up on Atlantis with the number of times that Atlantis plots/character have shown up on SG-1 and you'll see what I mean. If TPTB were truly interested in knitting the shows together there would have been a more even spread. I think the fact that most of it has been in one direction implies that the writers aren't confident in Atlantis and think they need to add in SG-1 in order to entice people to watch. Possibly it was also an effort to try and lure newbies into watching their sinking flagship show, SG-1, but quite obviously that failed, as well.

Vala is probably one of the most useless characters that could be crossed over from SG-1, but if the writers ever get that pathetically desperate, it'll only underscore what I already believe: they have no idea what they're doing with Atlantis and they're more interested in salvaging SG-1- at any cost.

Comment

I think we dont see any Atlantis people on Sg1 because they wouldnt have a role to play there. Ronon and Teyla dont even have a reason to go to Earth. Atlantis on the other hand would require support from Earth at times, and since SG1 is the lead team, thats why they go. Thats how i reason it anyway...
          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

And why does Atlantis need support from Earth? Because the writers make them pathetic enough to need backup.

There have been a few times now when Earth has been threatened because of things happening in the Pegasus galaxy, yet for the most part that STILL doesn't result in any crossovers to SG-1... but it sure means plenty of leakage over to Atlantis.

And if Teyla and Ronon have no reason to go to Earth, Vala sure as hell has no reason to go to Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              And why does Atlantis need support from Earth? Because the writers make them pathetic enough to need backup.
              They are in a galaxy all by themselves. It would make sense that they would need assistance and supplies often...

I would have prefered it to remain like it was in season 1, as it felt more real with them alone with no way home, but it isnt the way it turned out...

There have been a few times now when Earth has been threatened because of things happening in the Pegasus galaxy, yet for the most part that STILL doesn't result in any crossovers to SG-1... but it sure means plenty of leakage over to Atlantis.
              Problem with Atlantis is that they stop the threat before it leaves the Pegasus galaxy, so they have no reason to go to the MW galaxy...

And if Teyla and Ronon have no reason to go to Earth, Vala sure as hell has no reason to go to Atlantis.
              I agree. There is no reason for her to go.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                They are in a galaxy all by themselves. It would make sense that they would need assistance and supplies often...
                No, not really. The original mission was such that they didn't know if they'd be in touch with Earth ever again. They were self-sufficient for a year, even with the full brunt of Wraithy wrath levered against them, but as soon as they re-established contact with Earth it's as if they can't wipe their noses without needing the SGC to swoop in to the rescue.

Comment

No, not really. The original mission was such that they didn't know if they'd be in touch with Earth ever again. They were self-sufficient for a year, even with the full brunt of Wraithy wrath levered against them, but as soon as they re-established contact with Earth it's as if they can't wipe their noses without needing the SGC to swoop in to the rescue.
                  They would have lost a lot of people from the various attacks and missions, which couldnt have been predicted before arriving at Atlantis and learning of the various enemies.

Now it would seem people are transfered in and out of Atlantis often, just like any other base/station.

It is also important that they communicate with the SGC now due to threats from the Wraith and Asurans, and the SGC communicating back about threats from the Ori and LA.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

So how come we never see the communications with the SGC from the SG-1 side of things? Because it would mess up their precious storylines? Gee, what a surprise. They'll profane Atlantis all they want but gods forbid they should sully SG-1's waters with "superfluous" stuff from Atlantis.

Sorry, but we're going to have to agree to disagree because nothing will convince me that TPTB aren't deliberately diluting Atlantis with an overabundance of SG-1. And if Vala shows up? That seals it.

Comment

I think the problem is that the writers aren't interested in the Atlantis characters or what they have to offer. If they were, they wouldn't keep trying to make the show closer and closer to what SG-1 is/was... and they wouldn't continuously use Atlantis to showcase SG-1. And I think this goes beyond the whole "It's a spinoff so of course it's going to have some crossovers." First because we are past the point of "some" and- with the advent of the coming season- heading into "constant" and second because all of these wonderful crossovers meant to show that both programs operate in the same universe have been decidedly one-sided.

Compare the number of times that SG-1 plots/characters have shown up on Atlantis with the number of times that Atlantis plots/character have shown up on SG-1 and you'll see what I mean. If TPTB were truly interested in knitting the shows together there would have been a more even spread. I think the fact that most of it has been in one direction implies that the writers aren't confident in Atlantis and think they need to add in SG-1 in order to entice people to watch. Possibly it was also an effort to try and lure newbies into watching their sinking flagship show, SG-1, but quite obviously that failed, as well.

Vala is probably one of the most useless characters that could be crossed over from SG-1, but if the writers ever get that pathetically desperate, it'll only underscore what I already believe: they have no idea what they're doing with Atlantis and they're more interested in salvaging SG-1- at any cost.
                      Sorry I disagree. Vala is not a useless character and it makes no sense to have SGA characters on SG-1 with the exeption of a few. Still I don't want her on SGA.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                        Vala is not a useless character
                        Useless in terms of serving any purpose in Atlantis.

and it makes no sense to have SGA characters on SG-1
                        Exactly. Because the writers MADE it that way. Enough is (or could be) learned in Atlantis to serve a useful purpose to Earth and the war against the Ori, but the writers have made damn sure that Atlantis gets all the weaknesses and thus needs the extra "help" from Earth. But that's digressing. My point is that Vala cannot, in my opinion, serve any useful purpose in Atlantis and her presence there would (again, in my opinion) do nothing but further erode what little credibility Atlantis has left.

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                          I would have prefered it to remain like it was in season 1, as it felt more real with them alone with no way home, but it isnt the way it turned out...

Problem with Atlantis is that they stop the threat before it leaves the Pegasus galaxy, so they have no reason to go to the MW galaxy...

I agree. There is no reason for her to go.
                          So what if they need supplies? Doesn't mean it has to be shown onscreen. let's not make excuses for pointless crossovers.

Let's see... Letters from Pegasus: no real reason to actually show Carter or the SGC

Grace under Pressure: acceptable

Mckay and Mrs. Miller: did Carter have to be in it? Not really, but understandable

The Return pts. 1 and 2: Oneill is always welcome for a couple of episodes

Season Four: Let's just wait to see why Atlantis needs Carter.

and Vala? The SGC doesn't even trust her on her own on Earth? Why would they trust her in Atlantis? She can't contribute anything to them. She hasn't contributed that much on SG-1
                          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

So how come we never see the communications with the SGC from the SG-1 side of things? Because it would mess up their precious storylines? Gee, what a surprise. They'll profane Atlantis all they want but gods forbid they should sully SG-1's waters with "superfluous" stuff from Atlantis.
                            IMHO, it's not Atlantis answering to SG1, it's that they're both answering to Earth. It's just a fact of life that SG1 and Earth are featured on Stargate SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                              and Vala? The SGC doesn't even trust her on her own on Earth? Why would they trust her in Atlantis? She can't contribute anything to them. She hasn't contributed that much on SG-1
                              I agree that Vala would not be trusted to go off on her own, not yet anyhow.

As for her not contributing....what about destroying the supergate, warning them about the impending Ori attack...
                              Spoiler:
                              pestering Daniel to ask Morgan his question DIRECTLY (remember, he didn't think it would work...so he was trying-unsuccessfully-to take a roundabout approach), using her knowledge of a certanin world to help capture one of the Ba'al clones, saving Sam and The Odyssey by using her knowledge of the ships controls, getting them back home in "Bad Guys."

That's not including the amount of times her relationship to Adria has bought them time. I'd say she's not as useless as you seem to think.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

WHY? There is no need for SG-1 characters in SGA. The show has areas it needs to explore so why bring over those from SG-1, the sister series, to SGA. Let's develop the series we have. We've already lost some beloved characters so they don't need to be replaced by SG-1 characters. What would be the use in having two different shows. I want SGA.
                                "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                                'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                                Individuality is freedom lived.
                                'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Working...
                                X