X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I misused said word.

Comment

for pete's sake, everyone take a deep breath in. Lets get some facts straight. One they are eliminating only carson and wier, two characters that really don't make up the bunk of SGA, playing side roles that keep the plot moving, If say Shepperd and Ronan were going I would be supporting you guys but i'm not. Carson is going just like Frasier and even through the as a sad moment in SG-1 it didn't stop the series, like getting ride of Hammond. Come to think of its, its excatly the same, both series have replaced their medical officer and Commanding officer and the series didn't die.
      Theres too much momentum in the franchise at the moment and they would be idiots to sink SGA and the new third series. That would be the end coz i wouldn't be interested in star gate anymore. replacing the side role characters brings new life to the series and direction, this is no way to successfully end SGA without a crap ending further displacing fans, whom will move onto other things. SGA is here to stay and some people need to take a step back and follow the instructions at the start of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzylogicman View Post
        for pete's sake, everyone take a deep breath in. Lets get some facts straight. One they are eliminating only carson and wier, two characters that really don't make up the bunk of SGA, playing side roles that keep the plot moving, If say Shepperd and Ronan were going I would be supporting you guys but i'm not. Carson is going just like Frasier and even through the as a sad moment in SG-1 it didn't stop the series, like getting ride of Hammond. Come to think of its, its excatly the same, both series have replaced their medical officer and Commanding officer and the series didn't die.
        Theres too much momentum in the franchise at the moment and they would be idiots to sink SGA and the new third series. That would be the end coz i wouldn't be interested in star gate anymore. replacing the side role characters brings new life to the series and direction, this is no way to successfully end SGA without a crap ending further displacing fans, whom will move onto other things. SGA is here to stay and some people need to take a step back and follow the instructions at the start of this post.
        You're putting down Elizabeth's and Carson's importance to the show yet elevating Ronon's? Your feelings about the character aside, what impact has he had on the show, like, at all? He is mostly reduced to a wallflower nowadays, standing around and looking menacing and fighting when the situation calls for it.

The only real character development he's had for his past year+ on Atlantis was "Sateda" and most of that episode was spent showing him fighting and killing Wraith (IMO they dwelled too much on that, more backstory would've been nice). And he also softened up a little in season 3, most prominently when ("The Tao of Rodney"-spoilers)
        Spoiler:
        he hugged Rodney.

That's pretty much it. Not much for over one entire season. His impact on the show has mostly been occasionally saving random people and by showing animosity and paranoia towards anyone who could be Atlantis' enemies.

Comment

Why aren't you people more open? I don't get it. You're so negative that even if Season 4 is the best Stargate season ever, you won't notice it!
          sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
            You're putting down Elizabeth's and Carson's importance to the show yet elevating Ronon's? Your feelings about the character aside, what impact has he had on the show, like, at all? He is mostly reduced to a wallflower nowadays, standing around and looking menacing and fighting when the situation calls for it.

The only real character development he's had for his past year+ on Atlantis was "Sateda" and most of that episode was spent showing him fighting and killing Wraith (IMO they dwelled too much on that, more backstory would've been nice). And he also softened up a little in season 3, most prominently when ("The Tao of Rodney"-spoilers)
            Spoiler:
            he hugged Rodney.

That's pretty much it. Not much for over one entire season. His impact on the show has mostly been occasionally saving random people and by showing animosity and paranoia towards anyone who could be Atlantis' enemies.
            Yet Ronan's role isn't hampered by the formula like Weir's and Carson's are. On a show that wants to do all these mission based episodes, there's not much room for characters who's primary purpose is to stay back at the base. Sending the leader of the base and the chief surgeon/medical officer off-world to fight monsters is not a logical use of the characters by any means.
            Beckett should never have been made a regular character, and they've obviously realised that their vision for Weir hasn't worked out and she's essentially filling the same role that Hammond/Landry do. An unfortunate truth though, because they could have really made those characters into something.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              Yet Ronan's role isn't hampered by the formula like Weir's and Carson's are. On a show that wants to do all these mission based episodes, there's not much room for characters who's primary purpose is to stay back at the base. Sending the leader of the base and the chief surgeon/medical officer off-world to fight monsters is not a logical use of the characters by any means.
              Beckett should never have been made a regular character, and they've obviously realised that their vision for Weir hasn't worked out and she's essentially filling the same role that Hammond/Landry do. An unfortunate truth though, because they could have really made those characters into something.
              While those are good arguments, they fall flat when you consider who they're effectively replacing both characters with: Jewel Staite and Amanda Tapping.

Jewel Staite will be yet another doctor character (replacing a popular doctor with an unknown one). It's not like she'll have a lot more space to grow than Carson. Heck, she's a woman. And we all know the PTB suck at writing women, so she'll become even less developed than Carson.

Then we have Carter. And while Sam is a soldier, she's also a scientist. And I doubt the PTB would be so stupid as to try to incorporate Sam into Atlantis' flagship team, effectively making it a team of 5. I doubt they'd even do it covertly sneaking her in in, like, every other mission calling her backup or claiming her expertise was needed (despite Rodney's presence).

So Sam will probably stay back at the base, too.

You're comparing Elizabeth's role to that of George's. Yes, they're very much similar. But George was a regular until his leaving the show at the end of season 7 (out of free will might I add). He was never made a recurring character. So why now with Elizabeth?

Comment

While those are good arguments, they fall flat when you consider who they're effectively replacing both characters with: Jewel Staite and Amanda Tapping.

Jewel Staite will be yet another doctor character (replacing a popular doctor with an unknown one). It's not like she'll have a lot more space to grow than Carson. Heck, she's a woman. And we all know the PTB suck at writing women, so she'll become even less developed than Carson.
                Yes, but if they were to suddenly 'demote' Carson back to being purely an on-base Doctor what would that say? err spoilers for the rest of season 3...
                Spoiler:
                While death is an extreme, it is an effective way to shake things up and 'cover' a change. I like Beckett, I really do, but I've been saying for a while now that his character doesn't fit in with how they're writing him. He really should have stayed a recurring character rather than be bumped to a regular for season 2. And definitely nothing against McGillion, because I think he's great too - but his character as a principle character just doesn't fit with how they are writing teh show

Then we have Carter. And while Sam is a soldier, she's also a scientist. And I doubt the PTB would be so stupid as to try to incorporate Sam into Atlantis' flagship team, effectively making it a team of 5. I doubt they'd even do it covertly sneaking her in in, like, every other mission calling her backup or claiming her expertise was needed (despite Rodney's presence).

So Sam will probably stay back at the base, too.
                No, I highly doubt she'll be 'on the team' - she's still part of SG1 after all. But we're yet to see exactly what her role will. Not every role requires them to stay at base (Like Weir's or Carson's do).

Comment

You're comparing Elizabeth's role to that of George's. Yes, they're very much similar. But George was a regular until his leaving the show at the end of season 7 (out of free will might I add). He was never made a recurring character. So why now with Elizabeth?
                  But keep in mind that SG1 has a much smaller ensemble of characters than Atlantis does. Add to the fact that right from the get go it was clear that while Hammond was a regular character, he definitely wasn't going to be part of the main show. There's just too many main characters in Atlantis for a 43min episode. Something had to go.

Comment

You are all being so negative, how about we wait and see what the producers come up with the new characters and the old ones. Maybe it will work better.
                    But I am worried because they are making a lot of changes simultaneously.
                    4 easy steps how to make people hate you
                    Spoiler:
                    Ignore them
                    Spoiler:
                    talk bad about them behind their backs
                    Spoiler:
                    Use lots of spoiler tags
                    Spoiler:
                    Your name has to be Rihard Gaberšcek

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      SG1 was cancelled 5 years after SciFi bought them.

Geez...I can't believe I'm defending SciFi...Ugh, I feel so dirty.
                      That's gonna need some serious scrubbing to get all that gunk off. Talk about sinking to a new low, defending the SciFi channel?!?!?!
                      Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                      Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

To be honest I can't see the point in the powers that be making all these changes and taking the show in a new direction if they want to stop doing it

Comment

Yes, but if they were to suddenly 'demote' Carson back to being purely an on-base Doctor what would that say? err spoilers for the rest of season 3...
                          Spoiler:
                          While death is an extreme, it is an effective way to shake things up and 'cover' a change. I like Beckett, I really do, but I've been saying for a while now that his character doesn't fit in with how they're writing him. He really should have stayed a recurring character rather than be bumped to a regular for season 2. And definitely nothing against McGillion, because I think he's great too - but his character as a principle character just doesn't fit with how they are writing teh show

No, I highly doubt she'll be 'on the team' - she's still part of SG1 after all. But we're yet to see exactly what her role will. Not every role requires them to stay at base (Like Weir's or Carson's do).
                          But the fact of the matter is that they're getting rid of a doctor to bring in yet another doctor. It's not like they're fundamentally changing the dynamic of the expedition's personell. Jewel Staite's character will still be a doctor, bound by the same things that Carson Beckett was.

Instead of switching them, they could just keep Carson, bump him back to recurring and then write him the way they intend to write Jewel's character. Because what can she do that Carson can't? Unless she's a fighting doctor and therefore eligible to be on, say, Lorne's team, I don't see what difference it'll make besides the fact that she's female.

But keep in mind that SG1 has a much smaller ensemble of characters than Atlantis does. Add to the fact that right from the get go it was clear that while Hammond was a regular character, he definitely wasn't going to be part of the main show. There's just too many main characters in Atlantis for a 43min episode. Something had to go.
                          Yes, but is the way to solve this by bringing in two new recurring characters (one of which will be in 14 episodes)? It doesn't sound like a solution at all. And what's wrong with keeping Elizabeth as a regular and keep her the way she is, a George Hammond-type, one who doesn't get much screentime? Just cut down on the John/Rodney-snark. There's been too much of that as of late.

Comment

I think I heard Brad Wright mentioning Sam will come on her very own ship.But I'm not 100%.

4 easy steps how to make people hate you
                            Spoiler:
                            Ignore them
                            Spoiler:
                            talk bad about them behind their backs
                            Spoiler:
                            Use lots of spoiler tags
                            Spoiler:
                            Your name has to be Rihard Gaberšcek

sigpic

Comment

^^ Yep, that is correct

Regarding the topic:

"Season 4 of SGA? “I’m excited about it for a lot of reasons. First of all, it’s season four. That’s cool. …. “ He went on about the mythology in SG1 and said “we’ve achieved a critical mass of characters and worlds and stories that it is now a ripe source of storytelling and that’s one of the reason I think it could go on for years.”"

It certainly doesn't sound like they want to end it to me, infact it makes it sound like these three seasons have been setting up what is to come.

That makes me happy

Comment

If this is how they handle setting up a long-running show, I shudder to think what OTHER changes will be taking place down the road.

At least with the "they're trying to get the show killed" theory it implies that TPTB are being deliberately incompetent, but if they're trying to keep the show going... Well, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X