Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe they just want to make a great show, and that's what they're trying to do. I really don't think they take fan opinion that much into consideration, or atleast, not until the material in question has aired. I really doubt they make decisions based on what a few fans protest about, that's the way it should be aswell imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
      Its all abour the benajamins.....Stargate is now one of the most successful franchises in history. Even if SGA only makes it 4 seasons AND the third spinoff one or two, you have syndication money on three shows, the films AND the merch...so what if they tank. I would bet money the dvds will be released for years on end. Special editions, a full series edition, limited editions, I bet they even package a GIANT dvd collection of all of SG1, SGA and maybe even the films (like MASH did). There will be lots of money coming in for years and years no matter how much we moan, there are plenty who will still shell out the cash.
      Sadly that's true. MGM simply see the worldwide currency signs. If they had any real interest in making their SG franchise a continued success. They would have taken notice of these bunch of guys that got SG-1 cancelled. Rather than letting them screw & screw around some more with their only other show that they have on air as of next season.

If that's not unbelieveable enough to comprehend. Then thinking of chucking out an immediate 3rd show, after the main one has been axed. The only other one might be gone before the new one has even premiered is nothing short of ludicrous.

I think MGM will do the same thing with Atlantis. Chuck out a few over priced straight to DVD movies per year. 2 next year for SG-1, bet that's at least doubled come the following year. Then follow in the same suit with Atlantis.

That alone may actually make them more money than they would get from tv networks worldwide.

Show costs around $30 million per year to make for 20 eps (15 houes per season as each ep is less than 45mins in length). Make a couple of cheap dvd movies for a few million apeice each. Sell them worldwide for $20+ in the US while I bet UK will be more expensive. Each fan having to sell out for each movie that comes out. Think of the few million + fans worldwide who buys either the SG-1 or SGA ones. Maybe even both shows together!

Simply put, if somebody puts your 2nd most important franchise down in the gutter. You don't go & put out an immediate brand new show with the same guys at the helm that caused the demise of the other shows.

The only possible way you do that is if you don't actually care about the Stargate franchise itself. Simply how much money it makes you. They'll milk it dry like Highlander, Robocop & all the rest. In the end up, it won't be worth **** because it'd have been bled dry. Still maybe when they've milked it for all it's worth, then can do a 'James Bond ' on it's ass. Hire a new team, then take it from the complete beginning again. Where they can recast all the main characters from SG-1 & re-take new first steps through the gate all over again.

I'm sure that would make them afew extra pennies if their piggy bank starts to run down!

Comment

Originally posted by cajuncayenne View Post
        what's going on with Weir? Can you point to the information?
        thanks sam
        You can find the info here (and there are other links within)

RC Cooper and Brad Wright talk SG1 movies and SGA season 4 (some spoilers)

http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/42845.html

DAVID HEWLETT talks
        about season 4, friends and acting
        (some spoilers for one episode but those are put way at bottom with warnings)

http://wraithfodder.livejournal.com/43062.html

Comment

I truly hope this isnt the end for SGA as I love it as much as SG-1. I'm not upset about the changes and still have faith in TPTB. I am really looking forward to season four and will judge it then instead of getting all worked up about something that could turn out fine.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
            That's the only logical explanation. I can't think that they honestly believe that this is a good move. How can it be good to lose the two most sympathetic characters on the show?

This will end the way SG1 did. One extra season with new characters before it dies a painful death.

You're right, too, that they haven't given the show the time or the opportunity to reach its potential. These actors are a talented bunch. They don't need "stars" from other shows coming in to prop them up.

It's all very, very insulting and disrespectful to the two actors involved.
            I'm sorry but I think you are just looking at worst case scenario and overreacting.

Comment

I'll remind you that you said that when their idea of Torri's recurring role turns out to be the same as Rainbow's recurring role... where's he these days? Disappeared into oblivion.

Regardless, my favourite character's not on the show, I'm not inclined to watch. Simple as that. It's not being petty, it's just a fact of life. And I'm not the only one who feels that way.
              FORD!!!

Yup, your not the only, I will also stop watching and so will all my flist. Sad but SGA sort of killed itself with these changes.
              sigpic
              My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

I'll remind you that you said that when their idea of Torri's recurring role turns out to be the same as Rainbow's recurring role... where's he these days? Disappeared into oblivion.

Regardless, my favourite character's not on the show, I'm not inclined to watch. Simple as that. It's not being petty, it's just a fact of life. And I'm not the only one who feels that way.
                Uh when did I say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                  FORD!!!

Yup, your not the only, I will also stop watching and so will all my flist. Sad but SGA sort of killed itself with these changes.
                  Well I'm sorry you feel that way as I don't share your opinion.

Comment

Once again, remember that Beckett was also recurring in Season 1, and look how much screentime he got.

Comment

Exactly. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        Once again, remember that Beckett was also recurring in Season 1, and look how much screentime he got.
                        Yes, but Carson and Elizabeth were both regulars for seasons 2 and 3 and look at how little screentime they got!

Comment

Exactly, so when they become recurring, they'll get more screentime!

Hooray!

Comment

Exactly, so when they become recurring, they'll get more screentime!

Hooray!
                            (Major "Sunday"-spoiler)
                            Spoiler:
                            David Hewlett let it slip in his interview recently that Carson is going to die (he didn't specify when, but he did say that he was gonna die). "Nobody really dies in Sci-Fi"-platitudes aside, he's not going to become a recurring character.

Comment

I knew that; I was referring more to Weir.

Comment

I knew that; I was referring more to Weir.
                                You used the word "they" .

Comment

Working...
                                X