Common Ground (307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there!

I've been lurking around GateWorld for a while, but I finally decided to sign-up and join the fun. After the episode tonight, I just couldn't resist.

I thought Common Ground was outstanding...season three just keeps getting better and better!
    sigpic

Sheppard: You think it's worth checking out?
    McKay: Any significant energy emission generally indicates technological civilization.
    Sheppard: So... you think it's worth checking out?
    McKay: [sarcastically] I'm sorry. Yes. Energy field good.

My SGA Fanfiction: www.fanfiction.net/~atlantisgate

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisgate
      Hi there!

I've been lurking around GateWorld for a while, but I finally decided to sign-up and join the fun. After the episode tonight, I just couldn't resist.

I thought Common Ground was outstanding...season three just keeps getting better and better!
      Welcome aboard...I'm a newbie, too that lurked forever before joining.

I can't believe I waited so long. (Doh)
      "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
      Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
      ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Old man Sheppard fighting those guards was kinda out there, but not too much. The part where he flips that one guy through the air using only one arm was one of the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen, but the rest was relatively believable by the standards of movie physics.

And was anyone else reminded of Super Metroid with the whole "regurgitating life energy" thing?

Comment

I called the ending ... well, not the "brother" part, which just opens up all kinds of possibilities. Please, please do not let this teaser go unsatisfied, PTBs. If there's more we don't understand, let's have it.

I am hungry for more on this.

Anyway, I called the ending and the beauty of this episode was, I was begging for it. It didn't feel rushed, as I was shouting at the television for the final ten minutes, "Give it back!" I really didn't want Carson to fix this one and early on it was pretty obvious Carson was too far away.

The Ronon angst was a good flip on the Sateda dynamic. Rodney had a lot of fire. I'm still nervous when I see Rodney with a gun, but okay. Weir channeled awesome leadership. I noticed during feeding # 2, when she said no, Sheppard nodded at the camera. I liked the Ladon element to Kolya's motivation, meaning I'm glad it wasn't just about Sheppard and Kolya, although their conflict flowed through the entire episode. The Ladon element spiced Weir's scenes tremendously.

My only complaint: I didn't know there was a back seat as far from the main event as the one Teyla had. (??)

I've always thought, from Rising till now, being fed on by a Wraith was one of Sheppard's worst nightmares. Thanks to JF's performance, now I know.

Comment

Hi! My first ever post here--very nervous! I've been reading the forums for a long time without ever having the courage to speak up...but something in this episode really tickled me, and I wanted to see if I was out in left field regarding an impression that I got.

Oh, first, yes, I loved the episode! Now, the question...

Since we now know that the Wraith can give life, as well as take it away, do you think that means that, with respect to the worshipers, they not only don't kill them...they can keep them young? I.e., that the Wraith, for a worshiper, could act almost like a fountain of youth? Which, obviously, would be a huge incentive for someone to become a worshiper. Who knows how long they could live! It could also explain why all the worshipers we saw in the Hive were young. Very young. Meaning, maybe...Neera was much older than she looked?

I ask this because you guys read the spoilers and ruminate on things much longer than I do (I like being surprised)...Of course, maybe this has already been discussed? If so, you can send me to that thread, and I won't bother you again...

(PS -- I tried to submit this before, but it didn't show up, so there may be...multiple posts. I told you I was new! I'm sorry if that happens!)

Comment

I was one that lurked around for a long time, joined, then still lurked some more. So welcome from me as well!

I didn't notice until someone else mentioned it, but it makes me sad that this Wraith had no name. I like it when John names them. I know it's not the point, but hasn't every Wraith that has had major screen time had a name?
              Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Tonights episode wasnt all that bad. But I still cant help but think that Shepperd (and the rest of the team) wouldnt have to be worried with Kolya if he would have just shot him in the first place and got it over with, but that wouldnt have worked, because we all know there has to be some sort of soap opera style storyline with reoccuring characters.... maybe next time we see kolya, he'll be pregnant and tell everyone its Shepperds.

Comment

Originally posted by O'Neil
                  Tonights episode wasnt all that bad. But I still cant help but think that Shepperd (and the rest of the team) wouldnt have to be worried with Kolya if he would have just shot him in the first place and got it over with, but that wouldnt have worked, because we all know there has to be some sort of soap opera style storyline with reoccuring characters.... maybe next time we see kolya, he'll be pregnant and tell everyone its Shepperds.
                  Well if you remember Sheppard did say he should have killed him long ago.

Comment

Wow, great episode! I hope we will see this wraith again.

Comment

Originally posted by expendable_crewman
                      Weir channeled awesome leadership. I noticed during feeding # 2, when she said no, Sheppard nodded at the camera.
                      Did that really happen? He nodded in approval? Must rewatch the episode now!
                      My Livejournal, feel free to friend me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironic
                        Did that really happen? He nodded in approval? Must rewatch the episode now!
                        I think he also managed to signal her "no" before she actually said anything, but I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by O'Neil
                          my thoughts exactly! love the preggers part. i thought it was super to find a wraith with a brain and a sense of humor. great episode, one of my favorites, so far, next to sateda. also loved the combat bonding........that rocked!
                          http://world2.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=31042105
                          http://world3.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=38012354
                          http://www.techwarrior.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=37005249
                          http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47043904

Comment

Originally posted by gambit
                            I think he also managed to signal her "no" before she actually said anything, but I'll have to watch it again to be sure.
                            Huh. Thanks. I'll watch out for it the next time I watch the episode.
                            My Livejournal, feel free to friend me.

Comment

Mmmk, so a little off-topic and a little old, but anyone else smell a Brokeback Mountain spoof? Or just a complete Romeo/ Juliet slashy video between Shep and the Wraith (who remains nameless... cause he's cooler that way)
                              Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                              RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

On the name thing, from the Wraith perspective, I think sharing names with beings outside their society is a negative. When asked for names in Allies, a situation that warranted formal introductions, the Wraith offered stony stares. In some cultures, it's believed that someone having your name gives them power over you. I'm just guessing but I have noticed the Wraith never offer names.

Regarding Sheppard not naming this Wraith, I noticed he smacked those names on past Wraith with contempt, loathing, whatever, but not because he wanted a way to a one on one.

So, he maybe didn't name this Wraith because he knew the Wraith already had a name. The others had names, too, so in this case, the ommission would indicate respect.

To the poster about the Wraith worshipers, excellent concept. I mean, there's a big can of possibilities that just opened up. Which means there are humans who know a lot about the Wraith, too ... as in more than we've seen thus far.

Comment

Working...
                                X