No announcement yet.

Common Ground (307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved tonight's episode. I think Ironic said it all for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
      I love Ronon and his relationship with John. Notice the similarities between Sheppard's anger of Ronon's capture in Sateda and now Ronon's anger at Sheppard's capture. It angers him that because of our own allies: Sheppards suffering horribly. I'd just like to see him start to bond with people other than John or Teyla.
      True. He does tend to get really loyal and fierce when it comes to John and Teyla, but I don't find his relationships with other characters lacking too much. With McKay, it usually is just Ronon intimidating him, but there's some geniune bonding going on there - you can see it in "No Man's Land."

Then, there's Carson. Their dynamic hasn't been overtly explored, but you can tell that in Ronon's estimation, Carson is held in high regard. Especially in "The Runner" and "Sateda".

With Elizabeth, the dysfunctional vibe they throw off always has me in stitches.

All in all, while Ronon does tend to be attached to the hip with Teyla, and proves to be something fiercly loyal to John, I think his dynamics with other characters have shown enough to have some great potential for the future.
      My Livejournal, feel free to friend me.

Comment

I really liked the ethical dilemmas faced in this epi... had me squirming in my seat from time to time.

Wier having to make the decision to sacrifice a team member.
        Shep and the Wraith working together for mutual benefit.
        "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
        Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
        ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

I strongly believe this to be the best Wraith ever.

I don't know why but he seemed to be one of those men who you could always look towards for guidance. When he called Sheppard a brother. I actually cried. This episode was great. We learned a lot about the Wraith, and lends credence to the hope that maybe, just maybe, the Wraith will find a new source of food and no longer require humans.

I've taken notice, and I see honor. I'm also beginning to wonder why the Wraith attacked the hive that deceived Atlantis (Allies/No Man's Land), maybe it was because that hive had no honor.

Who knows, maybe this was the Chaca of the Wraith.
          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Sheppard's (Joe Flanigan) original motivation for entering the armed forces is revealed when he finds himself prisoner in a cell adjacent to a Wraith.
            Sorry, I missed that part. Can someone fill me in?

Comment

Originally posted by Dezdmona
              I really liked the ethical dilemmas faced in this epi... had me squirming in my seat from time to time.

Wier having to make the decision to sacrifice a team member.
              Shep and the Wraith working together for mutual benefit.
              You and me both. Great ep can't believe I have to wait 2 weeks!
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Wonderful episode, lots of depth, heavy tense moments. The ending was just a bit rushed because we don't get any character interactions at a singificant level. No emotional 'holy crap you were fed upon in front of us' kind of ramifications, but I'm okay with that. They don't get time to tell everything and that's something I accept, and the rest of it makes up for losing that bit at the end that would've made it perfect.

This is SGA at its finest.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh my!! That was an amazing episode. The Genii and a Wraith in the same episode and who ends up being the more trustworthy? The one who is the least like us (or so we would like to believe).

LOVED:
                  *whump started less than 2 minutes into the episode
                  *Kolya was awesome as ever. What a great torture (if there is such a thing)
                  *Chris Heyerdahl's portrayal of a Wraith was magnificent. He has given the Wraith more dimension in one episode than the last two seasons combined. Here's hoping we see more of this Wraith later and Chris gets to portray some other Wraith. (I know, I know, some people hate reusing actors. Sorry)
                  *how we found out a possible reason some humans would want to worship Wraith. The Gift of Life might be a good incentive for some people.
                  *Sheppard never gave up on his friends coming. Never gave up on trying to escape, even when he was old and grey.
                  *the alliance between Sheppard and the Wraith. It was tenous at best but they both realized they needed each other to escape. Both agreed a "Deal is a Deal" and BOTH kept their word.
                  *how Weir did not give in and cited her reasons for doing so. She personally would have liked to make different choices, but professionally had to follow protocol.
                  *the end. We will be seeing these two characters again and I look forward to both of them.
                  *Rodney trying to sound like Shep and Carson calling him on it.
                  *RONON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  *Shep in leather (just had to add the fangirl bit)

Disliked:

*........thinking

Can't come up with anything substantial. I guess I will have to watch it a few more times.
                  sigpic

Comment

It's been mentioned that the backstory that was supposed to be in Common Ground got shuffled to Phantoms. Look for it there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                      It's been mentioned that the backstory that was supposed to be in Common Ground got shuffled to Phantoms. Look for it there.
                      OK, thanks. I thought I was just not listening...

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                        Interesting. Aside from McKay's sister, that seems to be the most requested thing on SGA right now. This episode would've been overly perfect IMO if they showed Sheppard backstory along with it.
                        sigpic
                        "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                        DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus
                          Chris Heyerdahl's portrayal of a Wraith was magnificent. He has given the Wraith more dimension in one episode than the last two seasons combined. Here's hoping we see more of this Wraith later and Chris gets to portray some other Wraith. (I know, I know, some people hate reusing actors. Sorry
                          You obviously haven't met Steve. He and Steve are chilling out between episodes. Steve being a blue glowy thingy and well, we'll call the Wraith John. And no, no one has a problem with reusing characters to play the Wraith. We quite loved James, and Chris has proven to be a good successor.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
                            You obviously haven't met Steve. He and Steve are chilling out between episodes. Steve being a blue glowy thingy and well, we'll call the Wraith John. And no, no one has a problem with reusing characters to play the Wraith. We quite loved James, and Chris has proven to be a good successor.

I remember Steve. He was cool! Very determined! James did a fantastic job with all his personalities. I am just glad the PTB gave this Wraith some more to do.

The Wraith in Sateda was unique also. I can't remember who played him though.

You did make me think of my one Dislike though. Sheppard did not name this Wraith!
                            sigpic

Comment

Very good episode, even with some glaring boo-boos.

The idea of Shep and the Wraith "bonding" should have been done LONG ago, and would have gone a long way in getting fans interested in the Wraith. TPTB could have skipped such lunacy as "The Tower", or "Epiphany" and stuck this into season 2. Fans are bored with the Wraith because they can't identify with them - this certainly would have helped!

Tossing Kolya AND Ladon into the mix was a stroke of genius. We know Kolya will be back, and I still don't trust Ladon. But there was good angst in Atlantis and good Shep suffering.

As for the Wraith giving life back to Shep - interesting words about brothers and worship. I so wish the writers could have given us more on their society along the way (but honestly, I don't think they even know). The Wraith COULD have been a scary and wonderfully interesting villian.

Now the bad.

Shep has been fed upon several times and everyone mentions he is near death, yet he can still take on two young-buck guards and then keep up with the Wraith. Yeah. .right. My whole family was laughing at that scene, and I doubt it was supposed to be funny.

My husband kept making cracks about Teyla's brand new push-up bra. She may have been wearing a jacket, but her, um, "assets" were straining at the bit. Come on guys. . .Rachel is a beautiful girl and can do much more than play "Warrior Princess" (oooh, look at me, I'm so HOT!) Give Teyla a REAL script and some REAL clothing.

Last, but not least. . .What does this show have against names? Poor Console Dude has been in, oh. . how many episodes? The Wraith NEVER have names (unless they are given one in jest and then whacked). Poor Lorne, he is never going to get a first name!

In conclusion - it really was an excellent episode with good characters and interesting writing. I know TPTB get rushed putting these things together so I guess I can overlook 80 year old Shep taking everyone down. But someone PLEASE give some of these characters NAMES!

BTW - terrific make-up effects on JF!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus
                                I remember Steve. He was cool! Very determined! James did a fantastic job with all his personalities. I am just glad the PTB gave this Wraith some more to do.

The Wraith in Sateda was unique also. I can't remember who played him though.

You did make me think of my one Dislike though. Sheppard did not name this Wraith!
                                It is unfortunate. But in the end, I really don't think names are all that important.

And gosh, someone needs to post a screencap of Wraith John and Human John looking at the sky.

Comment

Working...
                                X