Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um what everyone is forgetting is, how many ships did the Ancients had i bet it wasn't alot, as they wern't expecting war, and don't forget that there are hundreds of crusiers out thouse hundreds of thousands of darts, and no matter how powerful the ancients ships were there has to be a point where the aculmulated hits from the wraith ships, will either make the shield run out of stength and fail, overload the shields, or have so much heat on the shield that they don't work porperly.

Why must it be thousands of hive ships, hive ships aren't that crap, and about drones being powerful, i think the wraith would have built there hulls to withstand drones attacks with minium damange, and the Atlanteans weren't a war race were they.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by beale947
      Um what everyone is forgetting is, how many ships did the Ancients had i bet it wasn't alot, as they wern't expecting war
      In full production, how many ships do you think you could churn out in 100 years time?

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

Resource rationing, its a big galaxy, and you have no idea how long it takes to build one ship.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Resource rationing, its a big galaxy, and you have no idea how long it takes to build one ship.
          Just estimate.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

Well the Ancients had a lot of time to build ships. I mean they populated an entire galaxy. I'm sure that takes a long time. I find it hard to believe that during that time they were unable to build a fleet of at least 150-200 ships. Unless they were incredibly retarded and decided to just use the gate system for everything.

Comment

Why build hundreds of ships when they have gates, and ships that go though the gates, sure they would have had ships but why hundreds, they wern't at war.

Comment

Why build hundreds of ships when they have gates, and ships that go though the gates, sure they would have had ships but why hundreds, they wern't at war.
                The puddlejumpers still count as ships dude. They were in a 100 years war with the wraith. Once they realized the wraith had far greater numbers, they should have been churning out as many ships as they could.

Best Stargate quote:
                Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                  The puddlejumpers still count as ships dude. They were in a 100 years war with the wraith. Once they realized the wraith had far greater numbers, they should have been churning out as many ships as they could.
                  Puddle jumpers don't have hyperdrives though. For all intensive purposes the Ancients in Pegasus knew they were the last of their kind. So why would they not build a fleet for defense before they even knew about the Wraith. Especially when they had a great deal of time to do so. I mean one ship a decade would still get them hundreds of ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar
                    Puddle jumpers don't have hyperdrives though.
                    But a puddlejumper is still a ship, is it not?

I mean one ship a decade would still get them hundreds of ships.
                    The war with the wraith did not last 10,000 years. It lasted somewhere around 100 years. It was 10,000 ago that they evacuated atlantis to earth. The war itself lasted about 100 years. Therefore one ship per decade would give them 10 ships total for the war. They must have had more than one con yard though. It's just stupid not to.

Best Stargate quote:
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

But a puddlejumper is still a ship, is it not?

The war with the wraith did not last 10,000 years. It lasted somewhere around 100 years. It was 10,000 ago that they evacuated atlantis to earth. The war itself lasted about 100 years. Therefore one ship per decade would give them 10 ships total for the war. They must have had more than one con yard though. It's just stupid not to.
                      Oh no I was referring to before the war. I mean I don't see why the Ancients wouldn't have a large fleet even in peace time. It must have taken them thousands of years to build up Pegasus and all that time they just relied on puddle jumpers and gates? I find that a bit hard to believe. But ya I agree with you that the Ancients probably could have started pumping out ships pretty fast once the war started. My point is that they should have already had a fairly large fleet just by the simple fact that they were there for so long.

Comment

Wouldnt large fleet require a large population as well? i mean the Lanteans were the survivors of the Ancients who were devastated by the plague in the MW galaxy. So wouldnt they already be in few numbers to crew a large fleet? Also in the end they were scientists first and warriors second, only if they were forced into fighting.

Also in relation to peace time...well technically were the Lanteans the only advanced space faring race when they reached the PW galaxy? If thats the case then why build a huge fleet unless its for colonisation or scientific purposes and keep only a few warships? I mean if you are alone in the galaxy then there isnt really an incentive to build a war or defensive fleet beyond scout elements.

Could be wrong here but was just thinking about it.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

It must have taken them thousands of years to build up Pegasus and all that time they just relied on puddle jumpers and gates?
                          Yeah, they probably had to use hyperspace capable ships to disperse the new stargates.

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
                          Wouldnt large fleet require a large population as well?
                          Were talking about at most 300 people per ship. The Daedalus' maximum crew occupancy is somewhere around 400 people.

i mean the Lanteans were the survivors of the Ancients who were devastated by the plague in the MW galaxy. So wouldnt they already be in few numbers to crew a large fleet?
                          After a million years in pegasus you can pretty much bet their population will have recovered by then.

PW galaxy?
                          Got your galaxies mixed up huh?

If thats the case then why build a huge fleet unless its for colonisation or scientific purposes and keep only a few warships?
                          So if and when you do need them, you will be able to crush any threat that presents itself.

I mean if you are alone in the galaxy then there isnt really an incentive to build a war or defensive fleet beyond scout elements.
                          You never know what could be lurking out there.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Agreed. After all that time in Pegasus the Ancient population would have been very big. And even though the Ancients were scientific, just the sheer amount of time that they spent in the Pegasus galaxy would warrant a large fleet.

Comment

Were talking about at most 300 people per ship. The Daedalus' maximum crew occupancy is somewhere around 400 people.
                              What makes you think they even had such a number to spare among their ships? They were scientists first and warriors second in the end.

After a million years in pegasus you can pretty much bet their population will have recovered by then.
                              Don't think its ever been stated in the show about that. There population could still have been small. There birth rate could have been fewer or something else might have been at work but nothing suggested that they had replenished their population once they reached the Pegasus Galaxy.

So if and when you do need them, you will be able to crush any threat that presents itself.
                              The PG was near dead, nothing was there. I can imagine the Lanteans building a few ships (only a few) for defence but not a large fleet. Ships would be used for scientific missions or to rescue a colony that got cut off or to stop some natural disaster from happening but not a fleet to defend against an enemy that was not present.

Not only that but when was the last time the Ancients had fought a war? From what is shown in the show it seems that after leaving their home galaxy the Ancients never fought a war till they met the Wraith. If there was such a war it has never been shown or hinted in the show as far as I am aware.

You never know what could be lurking out there.
                              If there were native species around then yeah they would be more careful but again the galaxy was populated by the Lanteans. They seeded humanity there...in their minds there would be nothing that could compare to the Lanteans so therefore no threat. There were only a few native creatures that didnt seem threatening and how would they know that one of them would evolve from a small insect into a life sucking monster?

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

That ancient holographic map in the city showed the Wraith moving to take over and control the entire pegasus galaxy during the course of the war so they'd need quite a few more than just 60 ships.

I'm not sure how many stars there are in pegasus but it seems like the Wraith held them all. If you say they'd only need 1 ship to hold a system that's still probably easily a thousand or more ships.

The way I see it is after the ancient war the majority of the Wraith either left Pegasus for Andromeda, because there was too much competition in their little fishbowl, or they beat the hell out of each other in a massive civil war until only the current numbers remained.

Comment

Working...
                                X