Hot Zone (113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    It also would have killed all their watches and whatnot, wouldn't it?

And I thought the point was that McKay WASN'T going to die. He had the gene, so he wouldn't be affected by the nanovirus.

Incidentally, what's the point of combining names? McWeir? That sounds so... cheesy. Like something you'd order at McDonalds. You don't see people running around calling themselves O'Carter shippers or being Fraisons, so why do it to the poor Atlanteans?
    I figure it would kill digital watches but not sure about how analogue ones work and if they have any magnetic parts that could be damaged.

Also if he wasn't going to die because of having the gene then why did he still have visions. They explained visions were result of the swelling near the visual cortex which eventually ruptured killing people. So if he wasn't dying surely he wouldn't have swelling and therefore no visions, or atleast not much swelling which should have meant his didn't escalate like the others.

Well I'm not the one who coined the phrase. Despite the tendancy to think McDonalds and a corniness, it is quite catchy. It doesn't work well with most ships but somehow it does with McKay and Teyla... I've also heard Sheyla, McKeyla, McShep. It seems SGA names are oddly possible to do that with.

Comment

Originally posted by darkwarden
      Isn't the control room of Atlantis shielded? After all people were safe from the storm's lightning if they were in the control room.
      Shielded from the process they were using to harness electricity, however it didn't seem clear if they were shielded once the electricity powered the shield (which was temporary) or if it is a general thing.
      Besides EMP is a little different form just electricity, can't assume shielding by whateer means it is (grounding?) was made to withstand magentic interferences which was what they were relying on.

Comment

Me did a little bit of research on the subject and found out about the effects of EMP, now it is isn’t clear to what can survive and what can’t but it does give you an idea of how powerful and EMP wave can be.

“To be sure, the size of the signal from this process is not large, but systems connected to long lines (e.g., power lines, telephone wires, and tracking wire antennas) are at risk because of the large size of the induced current. The additive effects of the MHD-EMP can cause damage to unprotected civilian and military systems that depend on or use long-line cables. Small, isolated, systems tend to be unaffected.”

Here is link if you want to read the effects of EMP
        http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm
        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
          Me did a little bit of research on the subject and found out about the effects of EMP, now it is isn’t clear to what can survive and what can’t but it does give you an idea of how powerful and EMP wave can be.

“To be sure, the size of the signal from this process is not large, but systems connected to long lines (e.g., power lines, telephone wires, and tracking wire antennas) are at risk because of the large size of the induced current. The additive effects of the MHD-EMP can cause damage to unprotected civilian and military systems that depend on or use long-line cables. Small, isolated, systems tend to be unaffected.”

Here is link if you want to read the effects of EMP
          http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm
          So is it unclear what effects a nuclear blasts EMP would have on computer equipment? From what it says it sounds like the EMP from the nuke is somehow different from having EMP making machine next to laptop. Is it just to do with blast radius and EMP weakening the further away? It'd be great to know if anyone finds out any answers, this is bugging me.

Comment

My bad, I got the wrong episode.

EDIT: I originally posted a repsonse here but realized soon after it was for the wrong episode.
            "You ended that sentence with a preposition!!" - Jack O'Niell

My DVD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
              Also if he wasn't going to die because of having the gene then why did he still have visions. They explained visions were result of the swelling near the visual cortex which eventually ruptured killing people. So if he wasn't dying surely he wouldn't have swelling and therefore no visions, or atleast not much swelling which should have meant his didn't escalate like the others.
              Yeah, thats my question: If he was going to be okay because of the gene, then why did Mckay start seeing things? Is this a plot hole or is there a reason?
              Last edited by GatetheWay; 10 December 2004, 09:05 PM.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                Yeah, thats my question: If he was going to be okay because of the gene, then why did Mckay start seeing things? Is this a plot hole or is there a reason?
                I think it was because Rodney is not an Ancient. He has the Ancient gene artificially imposed on him, which was enough to keep the nanobots from killing him, but not enough to prevent him from having any symptoms.
                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                  I think it was because Rodney is not an Ancient. He has the Ancient gene artificially imposed on him, which was enough to keep the nanobots from killing him, but not enough to prevent him from having any symptoms.
                  Yeah, but Purpleyin said (and the episode confirms it) that the visions were being caused by the swelling in the visual cortex and the swelling resulted in the death of the victim. Or was that what they thought in the begining and change their assesment later. Can't remember.

Edit: Spelling mistakes

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                    Yeah, but Purpleyin said that the visions were being caused by the swelling in the visual cortex and the swelling resulted in the death of the victim.
                    They thought that initially, but if that were the case the visions would be random and unique to each person. Once it became clear that all the visions were the same, they determined that there must be another, more deliberate, cause.
                    Liaison of F.O.R.D.
                    Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

I read through most of the posts, didn't see this so just wanted to say that this title is a culture reference to the book entitled Hot Zone. The book deals with an outbreak of the Ebola virus, and this deals with the outbreak of a nano-virus or something. Just pointing out the connection.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I haven't finished watching this yet, but i just want to say that David Hewlett is fantastic in this. That moment, where he's telling Beckett what to say to his sister is so moving and touching. in fact, he's fantastic all the way through.

this is a great episode
                        Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

He did a good job in the episode, quite a few of the unknown characters were very good in that eisode. I was glad to see the return of that English guy from the control room. Good episode and i think this may set the way for one of Atlantis' new enemies, as lots of people have been saying they cant see much future for the wraith so maybe we are about to see a new enemy arrive.
                          'Where did you get this'- Wraith Queen
                          'I don't remember'- Major Sheppard - Rising (part 2)

'I don’t know if you noticed or not, but I’m an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work.' - McKay - The Eye

Comment

Well I've just finished watching this, now I thought EMP was meant to totally wipe technology, not "if you turn off your laptops they will be OK", and it also raises the question of what exactly is Aincient technology powered by? I know crystals, but what's in 'em?
                            Last edited by Whistler; 11 January 2005, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
                              I haven't finished watching this yet, but i just want to say that David Hewlett is fantastic in this. That moment, where he's telling Beckett what to say to his sister is so moving and touching. in fact, he's fantastic all the way through.

this is a great episode
                              I agree! McKay is just great! I can't believe how much I love him. I think he might be my favourite character now that Sheppard has been extremely disrespectful to Weir.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
                                WellI've just finished watching this, now I thought EMP was meant to totally wipe technology, not "if you turn off your laptops they will be OK", and it also raises the question of what exactly is Aincient technology powered by? I know crystals, but what's in 'em?
                                I dont think anyone knows the answer to that really. But also the question arises why just wipe out humanity, why not ancients as well? It doesnt make sense, but i suppose they've played it well leaving us on a cliff hanger.

And your right it is supposed to wipe out technology such as laptops, but no power grids or whatnot, still it is science fiction so not everythings going to be authentic.
                                'Where did you get this'- Wraith Queen
                                'I don't remember'- Major Sheppard - Rising (part 2)

'I don’t know if you noticed or not, but I’m an extremely arrogant man who tends to think all of his plans will work.' - McKay - The Eye

Comment

Working...
                                X