Home (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liv
    How much of it did he control and how much of it was Mist-induced? And exactly what was it that tipped him off about things *being* 'off'? Before the dead guys, I mean. Was it the fact that he was offered transportation by Hammond? I really didn't see anything that would suggest to him that anything might be wrong. "I'm starting to wonder about a few things myself?" is what he said to Teyla in the limo. Based on what?
    Originally posted by Major Fischer
    Personally, I think it was the way General Hammond was treating him. Sheppard wouldn't have a lot of experiance with Hammond (if he'd ever met the man), but you have to remember that Sheppard left Earth in disgrace. I think that he knew there was something wrong with the idea of a two star general gushing about what hero he was.
    Okay, I can buy that, I guess. .

It just seemed a bit rushed to me, like there was a scene missing or something. It felt like a bit of a stretch to have him assume something was wrong based on - essentially - one comment. The only other thing that might have tipped him off, would have been the briefing scene, since his next scene is with Teyla. Oh, well.

Another little thing I noticed after yet *another* rewatching, was that quick double take that Sheppard does in his 'apartment' when he sees the Johnny Cash poster. Sort of a Rising - "Did I do that? - moment. It was something that I didn't even reflect on when I first saw the episode, but once I knew what was going on, all of his different reactions took on a whole other meaning, what with Sheppard manipulating things around him.
    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

As always, I'm posting this without having read any Atlantis-related comments since the airing of the latest episode. I'm looking forward to going back and reading what everyone else said, but first:

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
      of 'Home'

First, the good stuff: It felt great seeing General Hammond back, even though it was really just a steam of I Can't Believe It's Not General Hammond. Also, Weirs boyfriend - I've completely gotten over the initially annoying fact that he's Narim's identical twin. I just hope the plot never calls for the two of them to be in the same room!

This episode is one of those that will probably be a lot of fun to rewatch. I didn't realize until half-way through (or whenever it was when Weir started talking as if Sheppard stayed behind on Atlantis and vice versa) that the team were all in separate illusions (except Teyla). It will be interesting to go back and this time be able to figure out whose illusion we're seeing at any given moment. What I did know, however, was that they were not really back on Earth. That's because Sci Fi's preview gave it away. I know there's been much talk online about how they wouldn't really get back, but the episode would have been able to fool me had I not seen that way-to-spoilerish preview. Thanks a lot, Sci Fi.

But the episode itself really can't be faulted for that. So here's the bad about the episode: First of all... Wait a minute, there wasn't anything bad about this episode! Cool. Well, I guess I could nitpick that the "fog" entity was able to recreate Earth to such a great detail in their minds to the point where it was able to convice them it was real, yet miss such a basic rule as "If you're dead, you don't throw your buddy a party!". But the impression I got from the episode was that the entity gave the team whatever they wanted at any given moment (except the option to return to Atlantis) to try to keep them content. Sheppard was thinking of his pals, then they immediately showed up - the fog creatures just missed the fact that they were dead.

I wonder, how will the experiences from this episode come into play when the team really do get home? Will we see Weir be reunited with Simon again, for real, or will it be glossed over? Will General Hammond be there to greet them? Will they find a way of travelling back and forth between Atlantis and Earth without having to be concerned with each trip that it might be one-way?

Everybody loves random observations!
      - McKay wears a shirt with the text "I'm with genious" and an arrow pointing to his head. Does that mean McKay is somehow with himself, or does he have some sort of sick and wrong relationship with his shirt?
      - Lots of references to the Stargate universe outside of Pegasus in this one. The Asgard, the Goa'uld, Prometheus, SG-1, General Hammond, Chevron Guy (who I guess is really officially named Sgt. Harriman now) were all mentioned for the first time on Stargate Atlantis.
      - Sheppard's pals called him "Shep". Heh.
      - No Wraith. I have a feeling we won't be seeing them for a while now.
      - How come General O'Neill was not even mentioned? Something to explain why he appearantly wasn't present?
      - As Weir came through the SGC gate, the SG-1 theme was played (not the original David Arnold Stargate theme, but Joel Goldsmith's theme which is played over the SG-1 end credits). Nice.
      - Did they break a ZPM prop?
      - This would have been the first Earth based Atlantis episode, if it hadn't turned out they were never on Earth after all...
      - So, the Atlantis stargate is not the only link back to Earth because it's special - it's actually the DHD which is different. I guess that means no gate connected to a DHD in the Milky Way is able to dial other galaxies either, then. Lucky thing the SGC doesn't use a DHD at all, or we would probably never have found out about intergalactic gate travel.
      - Great McKay lines: "Only if I screw up, which is extremely unlikely!" and "How do you go from 'You're a pig but I like your cat' to 'I missed you'?"

And now, to wait for the shocking final episode of Atlantis, hopefully many years from now, when they realize they never got out of that fog and that everything that's happened in the meantime was BS. Aired on the same night as the shocking final episode of SG-1, in which SG-1 realize they're still in the 'Gamekeeper' chairs. That'd be one heck of a reset button, huh? Completely wiping out the entire Stargate universe as we have come to know it!

This episode, however, I enjoyed every second of. Therefore, it shall receive a

Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
        It was never established that he got a promotion in grade when he got the new position. I don't think we'll know for sure until we see Prometheus Unbound.
        Thanks. I must have been assuming & we all know what that gets you.
        Still, I hope the AF has promoted him given his added responsibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
          McKay wears a shirt with the text "I'm with genious" and an arrow pointing to his head. Does that mean McKay is somehow with himself, or does he have some sort of sick and wrong relationship with his shirt?
          Haven't you ever seen the "I'm with stupid" t-shirts? Sure, most of 'em have an arrow pointing sideways to indicate the person next to the wearer, but I think I've seen ones with arrows pointing up (or maybe down, hehe), too. This was just the reverse of that. How on Earth do you get the idea that he's having a "sick and wrong relationship" with the shirt?

Comment

haha... I'll second the thumbs up. Great ep. I didn't particularly enjoy the sg-1 ep, but this definitely made up for that.

I just loved all of the twists and turns.
            We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

- Sheppard's pals called him "Shep". Heh.
              Yes! Has he been called "Shep" before on the show? Whatever, it's canon now! As it should be - Shep's a great nickname.

- As Weir came through the SGC gate, the SG-1 theme was played (not the original David Arnold Stargate theme, but Joel Goldsmith's theme which is played over the SG-1 end credits). Nice.
              Good catch.

- Did they break a ZPM prop?
              Looked like it. I think they can get another one at Radio Shack

And now, to wait for the shocking final episode of Atlantis, hopefully many years from now, when they realize they never got out of that fog and that everything that's happened in the meantime was BS. Aired on the same night as the shocking final episode of SG-1, in which SG-1 realize they're still in the 'Gamekeeper' chairs. That'd be one heck of a reset button, huh? Completely wiping out the entire Stargate universe as we have come to know it!
              This would be *so* wrong and yet *so* fab at the same time.

Really enjoyed your review this week.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Haven't you ever seen the "I'm with stupid" t-shirts? Sure, most of 'em have an arrow pointing sideways to indicate the person next to the wearer, but I think I've seen ones with arrows pointing up (or maybe down, hehe), too. This was just the reverse of that. How on Earth do you get the idea that he's having a "sick and wrong relationship" with the shirt?
                Sure, I've seen the "I'm with stupid" shirts, I've just never seen one with the arrow pointing to the person wearing it. I just mean that since the shirt says that he's with the person it's pointing to, and it points to himself, it doesn't really make sense when you think about it. I mean, how can one "be with" one self?

Or, I'm just goofing around.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

As always, I'm posting this without having read any Atlantis-related comments since the airing of the latest episode. I'm looking forward to going back and reading what everyone else said, but first:
                  Is that the way you do your review? I do that for another show I watch. This episode was the first time I wrote up something, but I snuck a peek at what others wrote since I didn't know if there was any kind of protocol here.

I don't have the SG background, so sometimes things pass right over my head. For example, someone said there should have been an explosion when McKay knocked over the ZPM. McKay was so sure that it was a fake that he didn't hesitate in breaking it. Now the scene where he's picking up the broken pieces makes more sense to me. You didn't really have to know about ZPMs to understand the scene, but it gives more insight into McKay's behavior.

Or sometimes I notice something, but I don't know that it's significant. For example, I noticed the Stargate music when Weir was standing on the ramp, but I didn't think that was unusual.

I really enjoyed your observations. You have a new fan!

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                  (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Sure, I've seen the "I'm with stupid" shirts, I've just never seen one with the arrow pointing to the person wearing it. I just mean that since the shirt says that he's with the person it's pointing to, and it points to himself, it doesn't really make sense when you think about it. I mean, how can one "be with" one self?
                    It's McKay. If he could hold a conversation with himself, he'd be perfectly happy. Or maybe not. He can't really be more impressed with himself than he already is.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I haven't been able yet to read the other posts, so this may have already been mentioned, but I thought that the ep made the main characters look stupid. They should have figured it out a lot sooner. Like, the minute they came through the gate. Hammond was a 2-star, when they knew he'd been promoted to 3-star, and was at the SGC instead of overseeing the entire program. And...where was Gen. O'Neill? Or McKay's fav, Sam Carter? Or any of them?

Not to have any one of the people who came through the gate even ask about this--even if the explanation wasn't the best, it would have been something.

That's stupid in two episodes now for McKay. I couldn't believe his mouth and lack of common sense in Underground. He couldn't say *anything* without saying something he shouldn't. When did he lose all common sense?

I did like the opening shot, which I thought was magnificent, and the way they played the Weir-McKay scene. And I thought Sheppard was *really* channeling Jack O'Neill this time around!

J.
                      "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                        I haven't been able yet to read the other posts, so this may have already been mentioned, but I thought that the ep made the main characters look stupid. They should have figured it out a lot sooner. Like, the minute they came through the gate. Hammond was a 2-star, when they knew he'd been promoted to 3-star, and was at the SGC instead of overseeing the entire program. And...where was Gen. O'Neill? Or McKay's fav, Sam Carter? Or any of them?
                        But Hammond ISN'T a three star general. We have no evidence what so ever that he was promoted in grade. Only in position.

Comment

And just because we didn´t see any of the others doesn´t mean that they didn´t, it just wasn´t shown in the episode.

As for my oppinion on the show: I thought it was good even though the idea behind it has been used way to often in sci-fi shows.

Comment

Wow, I'm definitely in the minority here. I strongly disliked this episode. Aside from a few cute things, like say McKay's shirt and the dancing hamsters, hardly anything in this episode stuck out. The lack of mention of O'Neill--who even if isn't Weir's boss would have been there when she/he/whoever came through the gate, and Carter, who should have been imagined there by McKay. Ford's barely there presence also really put me off--it was as though they couldn't write in for more than four cast members plus guest stars.

I suppose what irked me the most is that I HAVE seen this type of episode too many times and I saw too many similiar things from other shows. The scene with Sheppard pointing out random people from his memory was deja vu, as was him shooting his dead pal.

Its good though to see what other people liked though, gives me a different perspective.

Comment

Well, everybody has said all the important stuff, so I'll just go with the chauvenistic male comment. I wish Tayla could have taken that mini-skirt back to Atlantis with her.
                              Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                              O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                              O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

be carefull about voicing negative opinions on anything you could lose a lot of reputation points.

Comment

Working...
                                X