Home (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by watcher652
    I thought it had to do more with their individual talents. Weir and McKay deal more with abstractions. Diplomacy and theorethical physics. Sheppard is a pilot. He deals with what he sees, how he reacts to the physical world.
    Yeh that's sort of what I figured.

I personally loved the episode. The minor discrepencies were great, and I loved the bit where McKay and Weir kept talking to each other but switching clothes and that was soo cool.

I also liked the way the first major slip that something was wrong was to the audience (Sheppard talks about Weir in Atlantis).

Oh and Sheppards pad!!!! Godda!!!! How cool was that!!!! He has the coolest dream house ever!

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
      I think it was like this; Weir and McKay were together. Sheppard and Teyla were together. I don't know who Ford thought he was with.
      Well, since in the one bit of his reality we got he was talking to McKay, it's safe to assume he thought he went back with McKay and either Weir or Shep. There were no direct references made that I recall, so it's hard to guess.

Do you think that the Ford at Shep's place was the "real" Ford? Shouldn't he have already been shipped back to Antarctica or something? Or wouldn't he at least have complained to Shep about the reassignment?

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
        Oh and Sheppards pad!!!! Godda!!!! How cool was that!!!! He has the coolest dream house ever!
        Agreed.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah when I saw sheppard walk into that place I was like "Whoa I wish I had that place!"

Comment

One of the better episodes. The Hammond thing was a glaring plot gap that has been discussed well. Sounds like we all came up with our own explanations for the absence of O'Neill & Hammond's presence to make it work as we watched. I figured the Atlantis expedition was one of the programs that would fall under Hammond's new command & SG1 was off world (not that we ever see them off world this year.) But shouldn't Gen. H have 3 stars now with his promotion? Or did I just not see them all?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
              But shouldn't Gen. H have 3 stars now with his promotion? Or did I just not see them all?
              It was never established that he got a promotion in grade when he got the new position. I don't think we'll know for sure until we see Prometheus Unbound.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I did get the feeling that Hammond wasn't quite "there", yeah. And in the debrief with Weir and McKay, he isn't quite looking in the directions he should be. Or at least, that's how I felt.
                I at least thought the Hammond character (whether it was Don's acting or scripted that way) seemed a little stiff in the interactions. So it could be because the lifeform character was not supposed to know how to interact with the humans correctly. But the idea that Don wasn't actually there and the editors spliced scenes together sounds plausible, too. It was like the timing/pace of the scenes was off a little, or people's tones or reactions or the directions they looked didn't quite mesh.

And still for those with the insistence that the characters should have raised questions about discrepancies, do you always have an awareness that you're dreaming when scenes or people are put together that don't usually go together? The "Mist" was working with their unconscious selves, so, along with helping them see what's not there, why couldn't they also prevent them from not rejecting what they see? It's all a mental thing, ya know.

And about which characters were together, Weir, McKay, and Ford had their own realities (like Weir and Ford interacted with a lab-coat wearing McKay), but "Hammond" said something about Teyla being put in with Sheppard's reality. Sheppard's facial expressions showed he knew things were up when he'd think of something and it would suddenly appear. That made me think some sentient beings were just trying to learn more about Earth by fabricating the environment. For Sheppard's reality, Teyla said that she was sure Weir and the others were fine back in Atlantis, so it was obvious the information he and Teyla received was false and it means that Weir and him probably weren't in the same reality together (just bringing up that detail for whoever was asking about it). And the same was true for Weir, since "Hammond" told her Sheppard okayed having a new mission and military presence at Atlantis. Additionally, the first scene where Hammond was standing to greet Weir (whether Don actually was in the same room or not) showed Weir on the ramp by herself, so a similar experience probably happened with the others' realities. The camera didn't show all of the Atlantis team going through the gate or all of them at the Cheyenne Complex when they got back to Earth. Teyla was put with Sheppard since she wouldn't have an idea of what Earth was like. Seeing all of them back home wouldn't make sense if it wasn't like a "dream sequence", since they were the main (credited) crew. That would mean Beckett, Peter Grodin, Kavanagh, Halling, and Sgt. Bates would have been left in charge of Atlantis?!?

I think I missed this detail, but Sheppard asked the driver to go to Green Moss Park, and he said things would make more sense when he sees it. Was he talking about an actual park and did they go there (and I missed it while doing other things), or was that the name of the apartment or subdivision he lived in? I like his comment about how he had all of the toys.

Also, if Sheppard and Teyla were sharing a reality, does that mean Sheppard imagined the clothes and the mall experience that Teyla would see (since she wouldn't have anything to base the experience on)? He'd have to imagine all of the places that she shopped at for hours, and he'd have to have stored in his memory all of the shopping items that she saw. Like if she wanted to go to a pet store and Sheppard didn't like pets or have any animal memories, how would the Mist have dealt with that situation? Or, kind of like the blind spot right in front of you that everyone's brains compensate for, did Sheppard and Teyla only receive the feeling that they shopped, but the full details, like in a dream, really weren't there even though your brain accepts it as fact? What if Teyla didn't want to wear the clothes/lip gloss that Sheppard saw her wearing or wanted her to wear? Did he see her one way, but if we saw her perception of herself, she'd have on different clothes? That would have been funny if he only thought of evening gowns, so that was all that she had to choose from when shopping. When thinking about virtual reality scenes for two people, I just wonder how they'd really happen. Like if Teyla and Sheppard went swimming, and he imagined her as a good swimmer, but she was deathly afraid of water, who's thoughts would govern the 'show' if they still were interacting? And if Sheppard had awakened, would the rest of Teyla's experience then gone stagnant, since the Mist wouldn't have much to go on to continue the illusion? Just curious, but mostly just thinking visibly (as opposed to "out loud")...

Anyway, good episode; I think I'll replay it after the Sooners win another game.

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

Originally posted by vikingjedi
                  Was anybody here hoping Weir would purpose...er I mean accidently get pushed through the gate to Earth and not be able to come back?
                  Yes, but not just hoping... I was screaming it at the top of my lungs!!
                  O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
                  Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Dancing hamsters!!! Great line.

All the stuff with Sheppard was great. There's a shot where he's pointing the gun and chugging his beer...not exactly something you'll see in a Hunter Safety Course.

As for Ford...I'm going to make a very unpopular suggestion. I think the character is okay, but if we don't get enough exposition/development...is that really a big deal? Is every single person who could be considered a "main character" in your life all that interesting, or do you know everything about them? That's an odd argument, I know. But the point is that I'm enjoying the character development of the other characters, while at the same time Ford doesn't annoy me. I'm okay if he's "just another guy" for now.
                    It's antithetical to my character and I don't like it on a fundamental level.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      and yeah, having someone go to colorado and shoot some actual b-roll of garden of the gods, pikes peak, etc would make it a LOT more believable.

Along with little things like the foliage too.
                      That reminds me of an X-Files episode, "E.B.E". They always type out the location of the scene so you know where they supposedly are. Well, in that episode, Mulder and Scully were sitting in a car off the side of the road, and the information stated "near the junction of Highway 283 and I-90" in Washington state. They were in a lush green forested area, and I think it looked overcast and rainy. Well, maybe to people who haven't visited that actual location, they may accept the scene as part of the "Evergreen State". But... you'd be hard-pressed to find that scene among the farms and sagebrush! Sure, western Washington is green, but central Washington- not so much... Also, in the same episode, they state that they traveled around a forested Mattawa for an hour and didn't find anything. First off, Mattawa isn't a forest wilderness. And second, after maybe the most about 3 minutes you'd see there isn't much extra-terrestrial activity or even a powerplant in the area! But it was a great example of a show calling for suspension of disbelief, even though the facts they messed up on were easy for some to verify and probably not even picked up by the majority...

SGA fans' ages poll

Comment

I'm very ambivalent about this episode. I liked it well enough, I just didn't love it, like I thought I would. I've watched it four times already to try and figure out all the little things going on in the different scenarios, and each time I discover something I didn't see the first time around.

It was interesting that Sheppard was the one who managed to manipulate his illusion and how he decided to throw things in there to see how far he could take it. Guys (and girls) wearing camouflage clothing at the party, a fresh pineapple (of all the things at his place, that's the thing that stood out the most to me), the sixth grade teacher and Ford-as-Pizza-Figment guy ("I was just thinking about you.").

I found it amusing that he would allow the fake reality to continue even after the dead pals (who I found way over the top, btw) from the past returned.

How much of it did he control and how much of it was Mist-induced? And exactly what was it that tipped him off about things *being* 'off'? Before the dead guys, I mean. Was it the fact that he was offered transportation by Hammond? I really didn't see anything that would suggest to him that anything might be wrong. "I'm starting to wonder about a few things myself?" is what he said to Teyla in the limo. Based on what?

As for the clothing, how much of that was the mist providing and how much of that was in their own perception? General Hammond had on his jacket, his tie and looked very official in all of his scenes with Weir while he was buttoned up, without a tie and jacket in his scenes with Sheppard and McKay. I don't know if that means anything, whatsoever. It could just be a way to seperate the different scenes more easily, like the Weir/McKay one. 'Course, the way those two were dressed could have meant something, as well. I'll let it go, for now.

I so loved the "Bing Tiddle Tiddle Bong" line by McKay. That, and the dancing hamsters.

Teyla did the Teal'c eyebrow-thing. That sort of made me laugh.

I liked the fact that they called Atlantis 'home', at the end.
                        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

That was a great line by McKay, actually both of them.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                            How much of it did he control and how much of it was Mist-induced? And exactly what was it that tipped him off about things *being* 'off'? Before the dead guys, I mean. Was it the fact that he was offered transportation by Hammond? I really didn't see anything that would suggest to him that anything might be wrong. "I'm starting to wonder about a few things myself?" is what he said to Teyla in the limo. Based on what?
                            Personally, I think it was the way General Hammond was treating him. Sheppard wouldn't have a lot of experiance with Hammond (if he'd ever met the man), but you have to remember that Sheppard left Earth in disgrace. I think that he knew there was something wrong with the idea of a two star general gushing about what hero he was.

Comment

Hammond was no longer at Stargate Command even prior to the time the Atlantis team left for Atlantis. He didn't seem anything like Hammond in the other episodes. I could tell as soon as I saw him.

Comment

Also, the fact that in the preview McKay "THIS IS ALL A LIE!" might have had something to do with it. This is what I mean about SciFi revealing to much in their freaking spoilers/previews for the upcoming episodes.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Working...
                                X