No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who haven't seen/can't see The Eye, PM me.
    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire

Their joint reaction when they learn of their potential fate. Makes for interesting dark fanfic too, what would have happened to them if
      Spoiler:
      they hadn't been rescued by Sheppard?
      Don't you know it, I'm working on a more expansive fic along those lines. Very dark and not pleasant at all but something exciting to work on - pretty tense too. Won't be done for a while though, not unless I get an exam revision procrastinating creative spurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
        Well as for specs, I don't think vidding requires wonderufl specs. Harddrive space is obviously a big thing - if you are using divx's (obviously from your DVD's because downloading is bad...) typically one episode is something like 350mb and some svcd versions are 700mb. The whole season of SGA takes up something like 9gigabytes.

On processor - I have a 1.8Ghz and it manages fine, I don't think processing power is so much of something to worry about. If your pc can play dvd's etc without glitches due to cpu speed then I wouldn't worry about needing anything more, since more just makes some bits like encoding faster, but is not really necessary. I think 2nd most important thing is RAM (which is what PC sellers usually call memory and stores data temporarily) but likewise, having more will only speed up encoding really - my RAM is a fairly normal, by todays standards, of 512Mb.

If your pc can handle most things then you should be able to vid too because music vidmaking isn't anywehre near as intensive as people making their own videos or applying special effects. The requirements ar eprobbly alot lower than people think but having a reasonable spec coomputer I can't really vouch for how low specs can go.

As for vid software - win xp comes with windows movie maker. it's okay, not that great but I've been survivng using it for alot of my vids since the Cyberlink PowerDirector trial ran out. One tip is that installing service pack to upgrades Windows movie maker for free to version 5 that's much much improved.

Cyberlink page here with free trial link
        http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/pro...n.jsp?ProdId=4

There are also plenty of LJ/yahoogroups with vidders on that can help with questions.

Thanks for the info, I'll investigate (and talk to my hubby since he's really the computer guy in the family). Our computer isn't what everyone would call normal these days though. It was bought in 2000, and we've just added a few things to make it work, but it doesn't run alot of programs, and I have to run a marathon to get it to play video files. (It doesn't play DVD's so when I have a DVD I want to put on the computer, I have to go to my brother-in-laws to change the format to something my computer will accept!)

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
          Thanks for the info, I'll investigate (and talk to my hubby since he's really the computer guy in the family). Our computer isn't what everyone would call normal these days though. It was bought in 2000, and we've just added a few things to make it work, but it doesn't run alot of programs, and I have to run a marathon to get it to play video files. (It doesn't play DVD's so when I have a DVD I want to put on the computer, I have to go to my brother-in-laws to change the format to something my computer will accept!)
          Sounds odd, maybe it could just do with a reinstall and/or cleanup?
          Alot of people think they need a better computer with top spec when really they don't, sometimes decluttering and taking good care of a less than top spec one will make it work a whole lot better. Always worth a try.

Comment

Sounds odd, maybe it could just do with a reinstall and/or cleanup?
            Alot of people think they need a better computer with top spec when really they don't, sometime decluttering and taking good care of a less than top spec one will make it work better. Always worth a try.

Our computer is odd! We've juryrigged it so long, we're not sure what it all does anymore. Maybe it doesn't need as much work as I think it does, maybe we can juryrig it some more and make it work. That would be nice, that way I can get to vidding sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
              Our computer is odd! We've juryrigged it so long, we're not sure what it all does anymore. Maybe it doesn't need as much work as I think it does, maybe we can juryrig it some more and make it work. That would be nice, that way I can get to vidding sooner!
              Well with win98 I think it was pretty much recommended to reinstall it every 6 months to keep it working! And Win ME is awful, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Win 2000 is okay and Win XP is okay once patched up.
              But I think all Windows pc's need a reinstall every now and again unless people are really good at decluttering them.

Comment

Whew! You guys got through 2 pages since last night on this thread. Took me 20 min to read/digest it all. Guess I should stop sleeping as to spend more time here-if rodney can do it so can I

Originally posted by The Ultimate Obsession
                So, this past week they showed the Storm, and , as any Atlantis fan would, I asssumed that this friday they would show The eye. I have heard(mainly from reading stuff u guys said) that they eye is a great McWeir episode. Well Sci Fi dissapointed me and are not showing the Eye next week... actually they arent showing any episode next week.
                A bit of a wait, I know, but you can probably catch it when they show the SGA marathon in early July...it better be one of the 19 show they are running that day!

Semisonic is a great band, I think secret smile was a big hit, at least in the UK, but was fair few years ago too. And yes, I'll do fic request/challenges if people make McKay/Weir vids. A little encouragement can go a long way I'd prefer for it to be McKay/Weir fic but I do plenty of other ships and like character pieces too.
                I woud love to make a vid for McWeir, I think I could use the imovie on my mac to do it too. The only problem is that I don't have the season 1 DVDs, and won't till Nov. I could wait till The Rising DVD comes out in summer but that excludes sooo many good moments. *sigh* Guess it'll have to wait...
                Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Don't you know it, I'm working on a more expansive fic along those lines. Very dark and not pleasant at all but something exciting to work on - pretty tense too. Won't be done for a while though, not unless I get an exam revision procrastinating creative spurt.
                  Ya know, when I think of all the darkfic that's out there most of it revolves around losing Atlantis to the Genii in Storm/Eye. But there are lots of other possibilities for darkfic concerning Rodney and Elizabeth...(spoilers for season one)
                  Spoiler:

-What if he died when he saved the city from the mist in Hide and Seek?
                  -What if the entire team died in 38 minutes?
                  -What if Rodney and Shep were killed by the wraith in Defiant One?
                  -What if Rodney didn't take the ATA gene therapy and died from the virus in Hot Zone? What if the virus got to the control room and killed Elizabeth?
                  -What if Elizabeth also died in the AT of BIS? Or what if Rodney escaped and Elizabeth died?
                  -What if Koyla killed Shep and Rodney in Brotherhood?
                  -What if the wraith scanning mission in Brotherhood somehow resulted in the death of Elizabeth?
                  -What if Teyla went nuts in Gift and killed everyone or at least Elizabeth?
                  -What if the wraith succeeded in taking over Atlantis during Siege and the expedition team was held captive until they were eaten? (now that has prime depressing McKay/Weir moments if the two are held in the same pen until their demise)

Well, that was depressing. Off to read some fluff to cheer myself up.

Comment

Ya know, when I think of all the darkfic that's out there most of it revolves around losing Atlantis to the Genii in Storm/Eye. But there are lots of other possibilities for darkfic concerning Rodney and Elizabeth...(spoilers for season one)
                    Spoiler:

-What if he died when he saved the city from the mist in Hide and Seek?
                    -What if the entire team died in 38 minutes?
                    -What if Rodney and Shep were killed by the wraith in Defiant One?
                    -What if Rodney didn't take the ATA gene therapy and died from the virus in Hot Zone? What if the virus got to the control room and killed Elizabeth?
                    -What if Elizabeth also died in the AT of BIS? Or what if Rodney escaped and Elizabeth died?
                    -What if Koyla killed Shep and Rodney in Brotherhood?
                    -What if the wraith scanning mission in Brotherhood somehow resulted in the death of Elizabeth?
                    -What if Teyla went nuts in Gift and killed everyone or at least Elizabeth?
                    -What if the wraith succeeded in taking over Atlantis during Siege and the expedition team was held captive until they were eaten? (now that has prime depressing McKay/Weir moments if the two are held in the same pen until their demise)

Well, that was depressing. Off to read some fluff to cheer myself up.
                    Oooooh you! Don't tempt me.
                    Going to add a few because personally I think ones not involving death can be just as miserable and got a few other ones to add on that too.
                    Spoiler:

I'd love to do an AU darkfic on hide and seek or 38 minutes but can't make myself. I did however have an all encompassing AU's fic in planning in which one reality Rodney had died when he'd stepped infront of Kolya's gun.

I like the BIS twist, what if it was Shep or Zelenka instead who'd been alive to tell the tale?

Love the AU to Siege idea. Terrifying but possibly touching, especially if Rodney was taken first, leaving her all alone to contemplate the losses and how finally he wasn't there to make every all right - that her saviour wouldn't save the day.

Other ideas or takes on your suggestions.
                    -what if the wraith managed to kill Shep in the defiant one and Rodney had been mostly drained by the time they rescued them? Elizabeth having to deal with his death or struggle to live on as old.
                    -what if Kolya had decided to inflict some damage on Rodney in the Brotherhood as some kind of payback for his cheekiness or daring not to be afraid?
                    -I like the idea Rodney would come back in Brotherhood with bad news, to not just the bad news that wraith ships were on their way but also that Elizabeth was dead or missing. Infact having that wraith get to her after then would be good. Maybe he wants to talk about what happened and goes to seeher at her quarters or something and she can't be found... and then they realise she's nowhere around they know of and have to launch a rescue mission?

-I very much doubt Rodney would not take the gene therapy but it'd be interesting if it had side effects, that everyone including Elizabeth didn't take him seriously because they thought the shield would drop off as it did on the show but then he died of complications unexpectedly - especially if she went to talk to him and found him... eugh, Nasty idea.

So many depressing fics in that. Oooh, I've got bunnies now. Why can't I get happy bunnies! *pouts* Is as bad as my original fiction, where nothing so far has been anything other than dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
                      I woud love to make a vid for McWeir, I think I could use the imovie on my mac to do it too. The only problem is that I don't have the season 1 DVDs, and won't till Nov. I could wait till The Rising DVD comes out in summer but that excludes sooo many good moments. *sigh* Guess it'll have to wait...
                      Yeah, for those of us in the US, it is frustrating not having any of the Atlantis DVDs yet. *sob*

As a fellow Mac user, if you have any questions about vidding, feel free to ask me. I started out on iMovie too. It's a very easy program to use.

And, all these dark fic ideas, they sound fantastic. I hope you all get to write them. I love angst, especially regarding this wondeful pairing!

Comment

Weee, bunnies!
                        Spoiler:

I'd love to do an AU darkfic on hide and seek or 38 minutes but can't make myself. I did however have an all encompassing AU's fic in planning in which one reality Rodney had died when he'd stepped infront of Kolya's gun.
                        Spoiler:
                        Ah, but then how does Atlantis get saved from the storm? Or doesn't it? Poor Elizabeth.

Spoiler:
                        I like the BIS twist, what if it was Shep or Zelenka instead who'd been alive to tell the tale?
                        Spoiler:
                        Ooh, perhaps Elizabeth refused to leave Rodney in the control room and they met their demise together while Shep and Zelenka escaped in the PJ?

Spoiler:
                        -what if Kolya had decided to inflict some damage on Rodney in the Brotherhood as some kind of payback for his cheekiness or daring not to be afraid?
                        Spoiler:
                        Ha, Kolya torture is also a popular fic, whether it be Rodney, Shep, or Elizabeth getting whumped.

Spoiler:
                        -I very much doubt Rodney would not take the gene therapy but it'd be interesting if it had side effects, that everyone including Elizabeth didn't take him seriously because they thought the shield would drop off as it did on the show but then he died of complications unexpectedly - especially if she went to talk to him and found him... eugh, Nasty idea.
                        Spoiler:
                        I'm also curious about any potential negative effects of the ATA therapy. I asked Martin if there was going to be any canon stories about a problem with Rodney's therapy, and he said nothing was in the works. Still, lots of things could go wrong there, from too much ATA power to a loss of control to a mutation of the therapy into something else, such as cancer or infertility. Maybe it could make Rodney mutate into something not recognizable...

So many depressing fics in that. Oooh, I've got bunnies now. Why can't I get happy bunnies! *pouts* Is as bad as my original fiction, where nothing so far has been anything other than dark.
                        I like dark fic and always enjoy reading yours, but I can only handle the genre in small doses. Deathfics in particular send me running for the fluff to balance things out.

Comment

Spoiler:

I'm fond of that idea, though maybe just wounded and not worse.

Spoiler:

I like that idea. Especially with Her Weirness trying to help Rodney pick up the pieces afterwords.

By the way, how goes your OT3 fic?
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

I like dark fic and always enjoy reading yours, but I can only handle the genre in small doses. Deathfics in particular send me running for the fluff to balance things out.
                            I'll try to write mine in pairs then, fluff to balance out the darkness

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
                              I'm fond of that idea, though maybe just wounded and not worse.

I like that idea. Especially with Her Weirness trying to help Rodney pick up the pieces afterwords.

By the way, how goes your OT3 fic?
                              Well that AU's already planned and I'm not going to tone it down I'm afraid, but on the other bunny I'd say Elizabeth just has to be their to pick up the pieces.
                              Spoiler:
                              Wonder if he'd be able to hide it? If it was bruises then it could almost fit into canon... he was just so happy to find that ZPM that we couldn't tell, sort of thing? Even if it's completely AU I'm liking that idea - mind you I like alot of these darkfic ideas...

OT3 fic not really going anywhere, very few of my stories are. Mostly got writers block as I said earlier. A few bunnies are getting through that but only a few. I do have a hopefully tantalating plan for the OT3 though - writing it is the part I'm struggling with. Got the beginning scenes worked out in my mind, just need to get them to paper.

In the meantime I thought I'd point out my wraithbait profile for those of you who might wish to read my more mature M/W fics. I don't want to do direct inks because this is a family forum but I figured putting up my profile links and giving summaries with warnings is allowed.

http://www.wraithbait.com/viewuser.php?uid=86

Got a couple of R rated things, one being a Kolya/Weir/McKay ficlet called "I'll Be Yours". Also Blindsided - fluffy dream smut. Higher rated (used to be NC-17 but what would that be on UK system? 18 years or older I think) there's - Irrestistable, more light hearted and this time drunken smut... Too Good To be True.. even more smut and certain scientists writing romance... Finally I have Judgement which has a high rating for sexual themes but is not smut - it's SWAMA angst (with Heightmeyer/McKay too) of the hardest and possibly rawest kind. So there's some smut and dark fic - think they balance each other out possibly?

Comment

Originally posted by Fanwoman

All that, plus I think the lack of musical cues makes a big difference. We don't need dramatic/romantic music to see our ship.
                                Seriously, I think McWeir was the first ship I saw on Atlantis that wasn't being stuffed down my throat. It was just there, without the stupid music and the ridiculous long looks and the...ok I'm getting a bit carried away for a lurker. Anyway, I agree we don't need cued music to notice our ship.

Sidenote: Does anyone else notice that McKay and Weir have no concept of personal space with one another or is it just me?

McKay is Snarky Geek Love

Comment

Working...
                                X