John Sheppard/Teyla Emmagan Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
    Busy busy. I've got 6 adult size people living here as well as my two granddaughters. One of whom had a heart transplant last fall. Lots of doctors visits. The bug guy came and fumigated so I'm cleaning the whole house and school is getting ready to start for two of the kids - teenagers. Busy busy.

I can see using the Saxon/Viking type culture for the Athosian basis. Lord knows we haven't really seen them aside from basic hunter/farmer/trader type society. Aside from Charin's death, we know almost nothing of their culture.

What I've read so far sounds interesting.
    She'll be in my prayers. I'm glad that she was able to get the transplant, and I hope all goes well for your family.

I second you on the culture thing. It would be nice to learn more about the Athosians. They were severely underdeveloped in the series.

Originally posted by VerbalCascade View Post
    My word, thats very busy. I spend time looking after my dad and thats hectic enough. Thats alot of people and alot of difficult stuff to be dealing with. I hope it will all become better for you all soon. Ah teenagers, I remember those years!!

I wouldn't particularly want to stray too far into Viking culture given the Asgard connection. But it will inform on alot of what I will do with Athosians culture, which is almost a blank slate aside from the basics and the Ring Ceremony.

Thanks. What I would say is that I'm not entirely pleased with the ending so that might be subject to change. But I want to get this right so any feedback once you are done would be appreciated.
    So, far you are doing good. And remember, you should do what you think is right. We all have our own thoughts and ideas, but you should go with what you like best because that's what you'll do the best job in writing for.

I've read the other ten synopses, and they are really good. I like the fact that you stay true to the Stargate format. Very nice. On episode 14, I am wondering what kind of resources they need that initially cause them to go to the planet. I'm sure you already know this, but I just wanted to mention it because sometimes I've seen where that part gets forgotten. Since with Ep 15, the worshippers are pressing the team for the whereabouts of Atlantis, it might be good to have Atlantis go to an entirely new location when they go back to Pegasus at the beginning of the season. They can't afford to keep the cloak going 24/7 on Lantea, and that's a place the Wraith would definitely check for them.

The rest seems pretty good to me. Good luck with your writing. Let us know when you put your episodes up.

sigpic

Comment

Granddaughter is doing great. It's just been a very crazy 18 months. She'll be 18 months old in a couple of days.

I'm going back and rereading your outline, VC. I've got a few minutes to actually sit.
      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I shall do that. But I also want to create a series that is enjoyable to others as well as myself and to make it as accurate as possible. So I really do appreciate the feedback.

Episode 14...you know I had that written down and must have thrown away the paper with it on. I think maybe the Daedalus detects Naquadah deposits with a cursory scan and the SGA are sent to investigate the potential yield (given how rare and useful Naquadah is, worth the risk?). I would be open to other ideas though.

Hmm a new planet you say, that could work well. Given that at least one enemy knows the locations of the other worlds, might be best to go down that route. The ending I'm having a little trouble with, trying to create an original super-weapon. My original plan was to create a biogenic bomb that renders humans docile and submissive. But I think I'll go for something more technological now.

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement. As someone who struggles with confidence when writing, it has helped immensely.

Comment

Actually, in some ways, I think Pegasus is rich in Naquadah. That's what the gates are built with and the Ancients built the gate system. So, if they started out in Pegasus (and really who knows as muddied as tptb made the timeline) then they could have taken what they needed to seed the galaxy. Not too far fetched for Daedalus to find a naquadah rich planet.
          sigpic

Comment

I was thinking it was certainly present within Pegasus so would use it, especially considering how valuable it would be back on Earth too. I'm trying to work a little bit of Teyla/Shep goodness into each episode without trying to force it.

I want it to develop naturally as it seemed to be in the first three seasons. But with a far better outcome for all involved.

Comment

As far as the Teyla/John goodness, I would think given what you've set up, maybe occasional visits, maybe a trading/diplomatic mission (Teyla has strengths there), check-ins via video chat at the gate. Just some suggestions to throw out there.
              sigpic

Comment

^Oh, I like those ideas. We never got to see Teyla use her strong diplomatic skills as much as the beginning of the first season would have made one think would be coming. Video conferences would be a great way for Teyla to be with her people and also with her Atlantis team at the same time. It could work both ways. She could conference with Halling and other esteemed Athosians while on the base and talk to John and others while she's with her people.

Originally posted by VerbalCascade View Post
                I shall do that. But I also want to create a series that is enjoyable to others as well as myself and to make it as accurate as possible. So I really do appreciate the feedback.

Episode 14...you know I had that written down and must have thrown away the paper with it on. I think maybe the Daedalus detects Naquadah deposits with a cursory scan and the SGA are sent to investigate the potential yield (given how rare and useful Naquadah is, worth the risk?). I would be open to other ideas though.

Hmm a new planet you say, that could work well. Given that at least one enemy knows the locations of the other worlds, might be best to go down that route. The ending I'm having a little trouble with, trying to create an original super-weapon. My original plan was to create a biogenic bomb that renders humans docile and submissive. But I think I'll go for something more technological now.

Thank you both for the advice and encouragement. As someone who struggles with confidence when writing, it has helped immensely.
                You are very welcome and you appear to be very thoughtful. It is good to try to make something you believe other people will like as well. I tend to think of fan fiction as more of a guilty pleasure for writers and readers alike. Since the writers are the ones putting in the effort, either to fix what they think is wrong with the series or to add to it or whatever, I just think of it as a nice way to make one's self happy. If other people like it, great, but it's mainly for you. That's not to say that you're not writing for other people too. I guess it just depends on what the purpose is behind the writing. Some people write for themselves, other people are practicing to hone their skills so they can get published one day, some people are really good at writing for a particular group they belong to and just keep doing it for that... So, as long as you know what your goals are and you are happy doing what you're doing, then that's all that matters.

Sorry for my rambling. Naquadah deposits sound like a good idea, but then that kind of brings up the whole question of why they never went there before in 5 years. You could say this is a planet that was logged for researching as they keep finding more and more from the Ancient database. That thing is a wonderful plot device.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best at it and I hope you enjoy what you do. You've written an outline that I think you should feel good about. Keep us posted, please.

sigpic

Comment

There's all sorts of places they never went over the five years of the show that would make sense.

Maybe the Daedalus was off to rescue the team and found the naquadah on that planet or the moon, a neighboring planet, etc.
                  sigpic

Comment

There are definitely many unexplored places they could go. I think thats part of the reason I hate the show was cancelled. SG1 had a good run and had nowhere left to go. SGA had some much potential left. Plus the whole cliffhanger regarding Teyla and Shep is just so annoying.

It was obvious to me even from Rising that there was something between them. It should have happened long before the series ended. But hopefully the series I'm writing will provide something better.

Is there still a chance for Extinction to be made? As a sci-fi fan, we are always taught the impossible is possible. And it was three years between Firefly and Serenity, so its not unheard of (granted its been a little longer than that now).

Comment

Extinction was supposed to be made back when MGM was going bankrupt or something similar. Tptb tried to get outside funding but that was a no go. They keep telling us baloney about if we keep interest alive then there's a chance. But Christopher Judge (Teal'c) said basically from the actors point of view, tptb are going to have to throw lots of money at them.

Who knows.

Most I'm hoping for is a novelization of the movies.
                      sigpic

Comment

Idiots, the lot of them!! So much potential, wasted!

I'm close to completing my first episode. Its split in 6/7 chapters of 1500 words or so.

I'll post a link when I'm done. Tried to imply alot of the Teyla/Shep stuff at first.

Comment

Yay! Looking forward to it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Me too!! Thanks!
                            sigpic
                            Sig made by Cazzblade! Thanks!
                            Forever!!

Comment

Me three.

sigpic

Comment

My popcorn, John. Keep your hands out!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X