Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I may not be a supergenius, but I do consider myself to be at least reasonably intelligent and if he were to ask, I would absolutely go on a date with McKay.
    Wouldn't we all?

I think Rodney's a great character and that he absolutely make the show. Atlantis wouldn't be half as good without him. He just has great chemistry with every other single character - you can pair him with anyone and watch the sparks fly.

Just saw Childhood's End and, oh look, Rodney saved the day - again! The man's a hero!
    "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

[QUOTE=
      I give you that McKay was portrayed as a jerk in his first appearance on SG-1, but you can see he changed from his first appearance to his second on the show. Even Carter noticed, that's what the kiss was for. And no, it wasn't the "everybody who Carter kisses dies" curse she was giving him. Your "woman of power" saw the man behind the arrogant front.
      ! [/QUOTE]

.. which was, to me, totally unbeliveable. he was a jerk from the get go. they sent him to Russia! why would you put the guy you sent as punishment to russia in another spin off stargate? if i was on his team, i'd be tryin' like heck to get back home. QUICK.
      TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I don't watch atlantis but i really love McKay always have- i saw a bit of Atlantis and he is the best thing about it!

Comment

Personally, I'm not going to waste my time trying to defend McKay. If O-RA wants to bash the hell out of him, that's fine. She's only here to make sure we're all intimately aware of her sheer and unadulterated loathing for the character and to dump on us for liking him. She's no more going to convince us that he's an unlikeable, unredeemable jackass than we are going to convince her that he's an awesome character. If you guys wanna keep up the pointless arguing, go right ahead, but I'm gonna get back to enjoying the character and loving Hewlett's performance and eagerly anticipating each new ep full of McKay goodness.

Comment

Personally, I'm not going to waste my time trying to defend McKay.
            No point to it, anyway. McKay doesn't need defending.

But I will admit the bashing did make me have to think about all the wonderful things I love about McKay, so that was a good thing. Since I won't get to see a new episode until Jan, I reviewed all the episodes in my head thinking about the McKay bits, and that was fun.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

If you're not going to bash Osiris-RA, how come you bashed me? For crying out loud, I had to delete one of my posts here because I was getting negative rep points all over the place!
              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                If you're not going to bash Osiris-RA, how come you bashed me? For crying out loud, I had to delete one of my posts here because I was getting negative rep points all over the place!
                Not by me. I don't give negative rep points.

My kind of guy:
                "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

McKay rocks my socks in a rubber box!

The Defiant One
                  Spoiler:
                  McKay's development in this episode is amazing! He goes from being afraid of the electro-bugs, to feeling restless about not be able to join the fight and help Sheppard. He makes that transition and he doesn't even realize it. That scene where Brenden kills himself to free Rodney to help Sheppard was stunningly powerful. I was shocked and deeply moved (in a distrubing way) that Gaul would be willing to do that. I feel saddened that we lost him, but it had a great impact on Rodney.

Damn I love Atlantis!!
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

For those of you starving for some David Hewlett moments, even non-Atlantis ones:

On the 2nd Day of Christmas
                    Directed by James Frawley. Starring Mary Stuart Masterson, Lauren Pratt, Mark Ruffalo, David Hewlett, James Purcell, Lawrence Dane.

A woman and her niece are caught picking pockets in a department store on Christmas Eve. 120 minutes- USA, 1997, (CC)

Tue Dec 14 07:00P on Lifetime
                    Fri Dec 24 09:00P on Lifetime
                    Sat Dec 25 09:45P on Lifetime Movie Network
                    Sun Dec 26 02:35P on Lifetime Movie Network

I haven't seen this so I don't know how much David is in this movie. It's a made for TV movie and doesn't seem to be on DVD or VHS.

Where the Heart Is
                    Directed by John Boorman. Starring Dabney Coleman, Uma Thurman, Joanna Cassidy, Crispin Glover, Suzy Amis, Christopher Plummer, David Hewlett, Maury Chaykin, Sheila Kelley, Dylan Walsh.

A rich contractor cuts off the cash to his shiftless offspring, forcing them to do for themselves in a run-down tenement. 110 minutes- R, USA, 1990, (CC), Video, SS, In Stereo, Adult language, adult situations

Fri Dec 17 04:30P on Encore
                    Sat Dec 25 03:50A on Encore

"Where the Heart Is" is a cute movie, very heart warming.

Kinda of bizarre to think of Dabney Coleman and Joanna Cassidy playing David's parents. Suzy Amis and Uma Thurman are his sisters. Dylan Walsh, currently on Nip/Tuck, is David's best friend.

Lots of David in this movie. And, surprise, David's character is a computer guy, he creates video games.

This movie is on DVD.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Anyone else here seen Before I Sleep?
                      I loved McKays scenes and story in it. Mostly a Weir episode but good McKay too. But something about his stuff in the epsiode is bugging me, i'm curious to where writers are going with it, which I will discuss in spoiler tags - as it has mention for "The Eye", "The Defiant One", "Before I Sleep" "The Brotherhood" and "Letters to Pegasus".

Spoiler:
                      They seemed to heavily emphasising rodney's heroic death alot. I found it poignant that in the first timeline he was willing to risk his life for Weir and the others to get out. his reaction to his death was also very interesting to see, with Old Weir's reassurance of him, she seemed even at that point to have seen the potential in him and worried even that he would risk his life, with the fact she tried to warn him that he shouldn't linger behind to his detriment.

But as much as I like the whole thing it is nagging me about why exactly are they doing that? They seem to be putting such a heavy emphasis on his heroicism with it evident from the very start, where as in the timeline they inhabit now and we saw first in Rising, he didn't get to an heroics until Hide and Seek and The Eye, plus his changes seen in The Defiant One. I just get this feeling they are building him up to do something major and perhaps heroically tragic. Which worried me. I don't want him to die! Infact I worrying thought he might whilst I pondered this last night, suddenly worried that he wasn't in any spoilers picture for eps after THe Brotherhood. Fortuntely they mention him and he's in pictures because I was wondering if he'd sacrifice himself to get a ZPM for 'Letters from pegasus' in the episode "The Brotherhood" with the Genii but doesn't look that way.

Maybe this is just a hint for the future of his character - that he dies or exchanges himself with Genii for good of Atlantis, only I think that the second one (my preference since he could be missing and come back in S2 with some show and character development) doesn't look likely to happen in "the brotherhood" and therefore its more likely he'll do either one sometime in the future in unexpected way. Mind you I also thought his risking his life thing always seem to have an emphasis on Weir, especially how he stepped infront of the gun but then I would see that for I ship McKay/Weir!

Comment

Well, subtlety isn't exactly one of TPTB's strong points. They really like to hammer a point home. And then hammer it into the ground. And the continue hitting us over the head with it.

While all of the implications may seem vaguely ominous, it could be that TPTB are still simply trying to convince us that Rodney is a "changed man" and that he isn't the jackass some people think he is because of his stint on SG-1.

Chances are, that's all there is to it.

He's probably one of the most (if not the most) popular characters on the show. He's also main cast. They aren't likely to do him in. Not permanently, anyway...

Comment

Well, subtlety isn't exactly one of TPTB's strong points. They really like to hammer a point home. And then hammer it into the ground. And the continue hitting us over the head with it.

While all of the implications may seem vaguely ominous, it could be that TPTB are still simply trying to convince us that Rodney is a "changed man" and that he isn't the jackass some people think he is because of his stint on SG-1.

Chances are, that's all there is to it.

He's probably one of the most (if not the most) popular characters on the show. He's also main cast. They aren't likely to do him in. Not permanently, anyway...
                          Hmm, but I reckon a good stint of being kidnapped for a while would be interesting for the character. I sense fanfic idea there.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                            Hmm, but I reckon a good stint of being kidnapped for a while would be interesting for the character. I sense fanfic idea there.
                            I wrote a fic like that. Sort of. Except he wasn't abducted for very long and no one believed his story. *sniff* Poor guy...

Comment

I wrote a fic like that. Sort of. Except he wasn't abducted for very long and no one believed his story. *sniff* Poor guy...
                              I know I read it, twas good - The Queens command?
                              I have something sort of along same lines myself on ff.net
                              Writing Rodney vs. the Wraith can be quite fun.

Comment

This man was THE biggest mistake in ATLANTIS! Sam kicked his ass in SG1 so they put him here! What the heck! He is arogant and bahaves like an 5 year old. If i were Sheppard i'd let the Wraith prisoner feed of him!

They should replace his caracter with some more able to act, like that Ancient guy in the last episode (Jonus or something). You could see sparkles in his eyes, when he was talking about tehnology and stuff. All you see with Rodney, is superiority to others! They don't deserve it!

Comment

Working...
                                X