No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I just thought of something. Saying something unexpected can accomplish just as much as profanity. And McKay can be pretty unexpected. Fanfic writers seem to do pretty well with that.

You know how in cop movies there's lots of cursing? There's a Due South episode in which someone yells "On the ground! I said on the ground! I will beat you to death with this empty gun!"

Not a profanity in sight. (Although the taste is questionable...)
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Wordsmit2
      Still, one circumstance I can think of where a curse actually says something would be if McKay was suddenly completely blocked from something vital that had to be done, say, a door suddenly closing or power being switched off. A curse could speak volumes if the always-active McKay suddenly has nothing to do and nothing to contribute and something very bad is probably about to happen. (Of course, if there was someone listening in that he could argue with, there would be no need or time for a curse.)
      Now that would be interesting fanfic even without the cursing issue. How does McKay react when he is physically unable (blocked in somewhere, can't get to the problem, no power, etc) to fix a situation? Not pretty, I imagine.

I actually thought for a while that McKay would curse more if the show could get away with it. I saw him cursing out a lot of his subordinants, and it just seemed complimentary to his persona. I've changed my mind a bit now; I think that McKay would simply use his extended vocabulary in place of cursing. Ala ""You are such a shambling mound of corpulence!" or something along those lines. Gets the job done so much better plus it shows off his obviously superior intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
        I actually thought for a while that McKay would curse more if the show could get away with it. I saw him cursing out a lot of his subordinants, and it just seemed complimentary to his persona. I've changed my mind a bit now; I think that McKay would simply use his extended vocabulary in place of cursing. Ala ""You are such a shambling mound of corpulence!" or something along those lines. Gets the job done so much better plus it shows off his obviously superior intelligence.
        Absolutely, absolutely... I think it fits in much better with Rodney's rather obnoxious personality... He seems to show a propensity towards bombarding people... why not go all the way and use bombastic words... Astound one's opponent with one's vocabulary... "Is that all you can do, you gargantuan lumps of cytoplasm?"
        Anybody can swear... but not everybody can curse someone with technical jargon.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Well, I didn't actually put the cursing in--it did seem off. Looks like pretty much everyone concurs, but wouldn't it be interesting to find out what exactly it would take to pull one out of him? I think the closest he comes is "Hell" in H & S when Weir comments that she didn't think he believed in ghosts...

Anyways, I think you guys are right. Rodney is much more likely to use his intelligence and wit in an 'angry' situation, and in a 'dangerous' situation, well, think of the Spacesuit!Rodney's girly scream in Siege 1

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions...all very helpful
          Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
          :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by S.G.C
            ^sorry but its going to happen in the Atlantis Season 2 someone has posted him kissing someone!!!
            Oh! I may have to avert my eyes *unless* he looks really hot when he kisses her . What am I saying he looks hot all the time .

Is the pic in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire

Well lucky me, the ER ep with DH ("Never say Never") was on this morning when I was getting ready for work. He was so sad, so hopeless, so dejected.
              So...so far I've seen Darklight and ER. I need to watch more to get up to the status of multi-role DH thunker! Do they ever show Cube here in the US? At least BvP is going to be on this weekend...
              I could loan you Cube and Nothing, if you like.

Could you give a synopsis of the ER plot with David in it? I would have loved to have seen that! :::kicks self for not checking TiVo Wish List more often::: Ouch!
              ~*~*~*~*~*
              not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by Ashta
                Ashta is going to go and get some z's

(legs!!!!)

Happy Thunking!
                -Ashta
                I know who you wish you were napping WITH.

I'm glad you're getting some sleep. Your allnighters are making me exhausted just thinking about them.
                ~*~*~*~*~*
                not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by Ashta
                  I've been thunking for 6hrs straight...yay!

Well...since two in the morning...it's about 8hrs now...

32 hrs and no sleep and still going strong

Despite the fact I haven't slept in 42hours....

yeah, i think i might go to bed (4hrs short of my goal of 48hrs without
                  sleep...WIMP)

Happy Thunking!
                  -Ashta
                  You are crazy! But very dedicated And Rodney appreciates it very much...in fact, he wants to give you this:

Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                  :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
                    The only other things I've seen our beloved David in are The Cube, Nothing, Without A Trace (ooooo kinda creepy!) and most prolly ER before I became a fan and a thunker and so can't remember. I think I'm gonna have to buy me some more David movies too. He's just so consistently watchable and brilliant...and expressive...and cute!!! Oooo I'm feelin the luv!!!!

Luce xxx (who is now slightly less injured)
                    I've own Cube, Cypher, Treed Murray, Boa Vs Python, Foolproof, Elevated and Nothing. Have seen Century Hoteln and most of his TV stuff

David Hewlett is my 'happy place' SQUEEEEE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
                      You are crazy! But very dedicated And Rodney appreciates it very much...in fact, he wants to give you this:

lol! Oh wow! Thank you sooo much!
                      I would like to thank everyone for this award... whom I will now name in alphabetical order....

lol!

All nighters ARE insane....I have been running on caffeine all day, but I did get 10hrs sleep. However, I'm going on a trip and have to pack.... so I don't think I will get much sleep tonight either!

Back to thunking...

great expression + very very nice arms!

much luv
                      -Ashta

Comment

Originally posted by ASHTA
                        very very nice arms!
                        Hehe, nice, yes nice is a good way to describe them. Very, very nice! Nice, ah it is getting very late now, I should be in bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                          Hehe, nice, yes nice is a good way to describe them. Very, very nice! Nice, ah it is getting very late now, I should be in bed.
                          Bed? Perposterous! lol... actually I'm just checking a few things on the net while I wait for my electric blanket to warm up! lol

Comment

oooh it is cold here too. David is warming me up *on the puter*.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'

Anyways, I think you guys are right. Rodney is much more likely to use his intelligence and wit in an 'angry' situation, and in a 'dangerous' situation, well, think of the Spacesuit!Rodney's girly scream in Siege 1
                              Girly scream.... SQUEE!

Comment

lol! I hate being cold, yet can't afford constant heating . I have p.s.s
                                (poor student syndrome!)

U should curl up with Rodney on his couch.... How nice and cosy you would be then!

Comment

Working...
                                X