Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Actually, I think they still can put the lid back on and cut Atlantis off from Earth again. The brief cut off in "First Strike"/"Adrift"/"Lifeline" was too contrived and rushed to whet my appetite. But if they were ever to start playing up the Atlantis vs. Earth tension that we've seen hints of in previous seasons, I could see a scenario for Atlantis deliberately breaking away from Earth. They'd have to go to a new planet (again) in order to avoid pursuit, which means they'd need more ZPMs, but then, they're going into their fifth year in Pegasus and it's well past time that they started finding more ZPMs.
    Argh! I hate you! You just put a screaming plot bunny in my head. I have no time to write fanfiction and this is at least of epic proportions. GO AWAY!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
      Argh! I hate you! You just put a screaming plot bunny in my head. I have no time to write fanfiction and this is at least of epic proportions. GO AWAY!
      *cackles*

Actually, I've currently got an epic-level plot bunny eating my brain about the same thing. Which is probably why I suggested it in the first place; because it's way better than what we're getting on the show now!
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

@ScaryKitty: Wonderful! Except that I have a thesis to hand in on friday (which ist the reason I am surfing on the net in the first place), a little two week holiday afterwards, then got to move to a different country (again) and afterwards have a PhD to start and a band to keep happy.

Want to co-write it?

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Actually, I think they still can put the lid back on and cut Atlantis off from Earth again. The brief cut off in "First Strike"/"Adrift"/"Lifeline" was too contrived and rushed to whet my appetite. But if they were ever to start playing up the Atlantis vs. Earth tension that we've seen hints of in previous seasons, I could see a scenario for Atlantis deliberately breaking away from Earth. They'd have to go to a new planet (again) in order to avoid pursuit, which means they'd need more ZPMs, but then, they're going into their fifth year in Pegasus and it's well past time that they started finding more ZPMs.
          Yeah, it seemed extremely rushed. They were cut off for what, a couple of days? There's no reason why Lifeline couldn't have ended with them leaving Asuras. For that matter, they could have switched the order of the next two eps (DG & Reunion) and had DG while they were still in space. They could have landed in Reunion. The overall storylines wouldn't even really have changed that much.

OR better yet, ep #3 could have been a rescue mission, successful or otherwise. Trying to rescue her and failing would have been preferable (IMO) to the limbo that the character was left in.

I also wish there had at least been longer "director's cuts" of the episodes that would be made available on DVD. They did that with SG-1's "Threads," so it's not like there isn't precedent.
          Until you said that, I didn't even know that the ep I saw was a directors cut.

Hah! I think the big reason why the secondary characters seem so well-written compared to the primaries is that since we don't see them as often, their appearances are much more focused. There's a specific reason why we're seeing them. A good illustration of this is Carter. Her guest appearances in S1-S3 were in stories where it would make sense for the character to appear, and really made the most of the character's skills and history. But when she was a regular in S4, she was shoehorned into episodes just so she could be seen on screen, doing and saying things that simply didn't fit the Carter we know from SG-1. What a waste of a great character.
          Yes I suppose we don't know quite as much about them either, so they seem "fresh". With Carter though, another factor was that she was super-qualified for the job. Anything she said or did seemed out of place because she wasn't doing the job she was created for. She should have just been the military commander, or a ship captain (if they had gone down that path, it is possible AT might have hung around a little longer as it wouldn't have taken up so much of her time, but that's pure speculation) but that issue has been done to death on various threads.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
            @ScaryKitty: Wonderful! Except that I have a thesis to hand in on friday (which ist the reason I am surfing on the net in the first place), a little two week holiday afterwards, then got to move to a different country (again) and afterwards have a PhD to start and a band to keep happy.

Want to co-write it?
            Heh, I'm already writing it... damn plot bunny hasn't left me alone for the past couple of months. It's already mapped out in a lot of detail, though I'm also waiting to see how a couple of things in S5 develop.

Spoiler:
            Basically, it's an AU of S5, leading off with my preferred ending to "Ghost in the Machine." There's Ascended!Elizabeth stirring up rebellion among the Ascendant, Angsty!John with ATA gene issues, a new enemy that's actually a very, very old enemy, I'm trying to work Ford in somehow, and, of course, Atlantis breaking away from Earth. Good times.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              Yeah, it seemed extremely rushed. They were cut off for what, a couple of days? There's no reason why Lifeline couldn't have ended with them leaving Asuras. For that matter, they could have switched the order of the next two eps (DG & Reunion) and had DG while they were still in space. They could have landed in Reunion. The overall storylines wouldn't even really have changed that much.

OR better yet, ep #3 could have been a rescue mission, successful or otherwise. Trying to rescue her and failing would have been preferable (IMO) to the limbo that the character was left in.
              Now those ideas would've been so much better than the rush job we got. The nightmare entity from DG could've been something that came off of one of the asteroids that hit the city during Adrift, for example.

And yes, there should've been a rescue attempt, damnit. Even if it failed, there should've been one. Made of fail, TPTB!

Until you said that, I didn't even know that the ep I saw was a directors cut.
              Yep. I think without commercials, it runs about 65-70 minutes. (don't remember the exact time)

Yes I suppose we don't know quite as much about them either, so they seem "fresh". With Carter though, another factor was that she was super-qualified for the job. Anything she said or did seemed out of place because she wasn't doing the job she was created for. She should have just been the military commander, or a ship captain (if they had gone down that path, it is possible AT might have hung around a little longer as it wouldn't have taken up so much of her time, but that's pure speculation) but that issue has been done to death on various threads.
              Not just super-qualified, but redundant. Both Sheppard and McKay had (and still have) more in-depth, personal experience with Pegasus from a military and scientific standpoint. Frankly, they were both more qualified than Carter was! I would've loved to have seen Carter in command of a ship instead.

Comment

So, today is Sparky!family day on the thread, and it's time for another fic rec!

Sherwood, by oparu. A Robin Hood-esque AU, in which the Lady Elizabeth is no damsel in distress, John-as-Robin is just as protective as ever, McKay makes for a dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham, and just wait 'till you find out who the King and Queen are!

Happy reading!

Comment

Maybe someone here can help me with this... I found a Sheppard/Weir video a few months ago, done by someone with a username of "Mgrace" to a song by Chris Daughtry. Unfortunately, I lost her page because of some computer issues I had. Can anyone here help me out in locating either her, or her page of videos?

Comment

Originally posted by LtCdrFlygirl View Post
                    Maybe someone here can help me with this... I found a Sheppard/Weir video a few months ago, done by someone with a username of "Mgrace" to a song by Chris Daughtry. Unfortunately, I lost her page because of some computer issues I had. Can anyone here help me out in locating either her, or her page of videos?
                    Do you remember where the videos were posted? YouTube, LiveJournal, or somewhere else? That could help narrow the search.

Comment

Originally posted by LtCdrFlygirl View Post
                      I found it.

http://community.livejournal.com/joh...h/1126283.html

Oh google I love you.
                      sigpic
                      My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                        That's it! Thank you so much!

Comment

Heh, I'm already writing it... damn plot bunny hasn't left me alone for the past couple of months. It's already mapped out in a lot of detail, though I'm also waiting to see how a couple of things in S5 develop.

Spoiler:
                          Basically, it's an AU of S5, leading off with my preferred ending to "Ghost in the Machine." There's Ascended!Elizabeth stirring up rebellion among the Ascendant, Angsty!John with ATA gene issues, a new enemy that's actually a very, very old enemy, I'm trying to work Ford in somehow, and, of course, Atlantis breaking away from Earth. Good times.
                          What are you waiting for? GO AND WRITE IT!!!!!!
                          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Oh Atlantis you amuse me so. I was just watching a s2 vid (so I could be up to date with the ep reviews) and the 'previously on' had Weir with the Genii. I wasn't around when those eps were reviewed. How ironic is it that one of the few times they actually wrote in a negotiation scene specifically for Weir that she had to negotiate for nuclear weapons? The shot of her coming through the gate with the nukes always makes me laugh - Elizabeth Weir: intergalactic nuclear weapons trader. It's so out of character, yet so in character
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                              Awesome! I'm going to have to take a look at that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                                What are you waiting for? GO AND WRITE IT!!!!!!
                                LOL! I'm writing it, I'm writing it! And how's this for ambitious: I've already written the final scene. It'll probably change a little bit by the time the fic is done, but I know exactly how it's going to end. *twirls* Now, to get there!

Comment

Working...
                                X