Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red
    You know just for what it's worth, I think if the comiccon kiss was scripted, that is a good thing. Think about it. In the pictures Joe and Torri were isolated from everybody else and bookended by writers. Then the kiss happens. Looks like they were trying to tease us. Ok, is that such a bad thing considering that last year Joe and Rachel were sitting together and getting cozy in almost the same way while they were publicizing Conversion? Showbiz people, showbiz.
    Just for the record. I agree that the comiccon 'kiss' was planned. TPTB want creative control over every aspect. Like you guys, I figure that they were told 'Hey, guys, whenever any kind of relationship question comes up regarding either of you we don't want you to answer straight out. Joe we just want you to grab Torri and kiss her' The actors are told what they are to discuss and what they're not. Gillian Anderson said in an interview years ago that they were made aware of what was open to be discussed and what wasn't at the media events.

And Rory, wow, what can I say gal? You have a niche for making vids!! Lovely job!! Thanks for the nice compliment-it's wonderful how we all can make each other think.

Comment

You know just for what it's worth, I think if the comiccon kiss was scripted, that is a good thing.
      Exactly the point I was making. Saying I thought it was scripted wasn't saying I thought this was bad, just that it wasn't spontanious. In fact I'm inclined to say that it's better that it was scripted than spontanious.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama
        Gillian Anderson said in an interview years ago that they were made aware of what was open to be discussed and what wasn't at the media events.
        There was a suggestion many years ago that Andrea Thompson and JMS had a falling out over the fact that she talked too much about a plot point in the press. It was right before she left the series rather abruptly (her character was going to be written out but not as soon as it was).

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Exactly the point I was making. Saying I thought it was scripted wasn't saying I thought this was bad, just that it wasn't spontanious. In fact I'm inclined to say that it's better that it was scripted than spontanious.
          I can't stop myself from trying to apply logic where none exists, i.e. in the minds of TPTB, but let's think this through. If this is supposed to be the year of Sheyla as we've been led to believe ad infinitum, then why weren't Joe and Rachel showcased at the con? A little bait and switch perhaps? Deflection? Misdirection? Pick one. Right at this point in time my contempt for TPTB knows no bounds. If you want to see how much respect they really have for shippers, just check out the Sam/Jack spoiler for the 200th. But at least with the ratings plunging like a rock, we won't have to wait 9 years for a slap in the face. *runs off to eat some chocolate* And you know, at my age, I can't even blame hormones.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

If you want to see how much respect they really have for shippers, just check out the Sam/Jack spoiler for the 200th. But at least with the ratings plunging like a rock, we won't have to wait 9 years for a slap in the face. *runs off to eat some chocolate* And you know, at my age, I can't even blame hormones.
            With ratings going down, TPTB have to do something different, and with the "intended" whatever going nowhere, looking to what fans are wanting is a good start. . .and which pairing has the most steam?

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
              With ratings going down, TPTB have to do something different, and with the "intended" whatever going nowhere, looking to what fans are wanting is a good start. . .and which pairing has the most steam?

Putting any pairing together will not increase the ratings and I don't think TPTB could care less about shipping. The majority of their audience is not interested in relationships and that is who they are aiming at.

If they continue to give us episodes like Sateda then I think the ratings will start to climb. This type of episode created so much positive feedback and hopefully all the fans that have tuned out will give the show another chance.

Its not going to happen overnight and the episodes need to try and keep up with the quality of Sateda. It does seem to be a trend though that ratings usually decline after the first year anyway and its always difficult to keep up the initial high ratings.

A mix of action, well written character moments and a touch of comedy seem to be what most people want and what keep them watching and not shippy moments.
              sigpic

Comment

I think the most disturbing thing about the ratings this year is that they've already filmed three fourths of the season. Last year they weren't nearly so far ahead, and they were able to adjust things, like bringing Cadman back in Critical Mass and not killing her off in Grace Under Pressure because the fans really liked her. I have a nasty feeling that being so far ahead this year is going to handicap them with their core audience.
                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                Last update: 14 April 2006
                Melyanna's Multimedia
                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

If this is supposed to be the year of Sheyla as we've been led to believe ad infinitum, then why weren't Joe and Rachel showcased at the con?
                  I've been out of the loop lately, are the actors or tptb saying they are going with Sheyla?

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien
                    Putting any pairing together will not increase the ratings and I don't think TPTB could care less about shipping. The majority of their audience is not interested in relationships and that is who they are aiming at.

If they continue to give us episodes like Sateda then I think the ratings will start to climb. This type of episode created so much positive feedback and hopefully all the fans that have tuned out will give the show another chance.

Its not going to happen overnight and the episodes need to try and keep up with the quality of Sateda. It does seem to be a trend though that ratings usually decline after the first year anyway and its always difficult to keep up the initial high ratings.

A mix of action, well written character moments and a touch of comedy seem to be what most people want and what keep them watching and not shippy moments.
                    What you say is true to some extent, but since this is a shipper thread we tend to look at things from that viewpoint. Doing or not doing a particular ship will not change the ratings, but I just have to question the common sense of people who supposedly want more viewers yet would even consider taking a chance on a pairing that poll after poll on more forums than just GW consistently show that 4/5 people do not want. A large number of women watch this show, and most women want some sort of ship. Ignoring us just shows they are out of touch. They've got action, comedy and beginning with S3 a bit of character development. If ship won't change anything, why not give us what we want?

Originally posted by Melyanna
                    I think the most disturbing thing about the ratings this year is that they've already filmed three fourths of the season. Last year they weren't nearly so far ahead, and they were able to adjust things, like bringing Cadman back in Critical Mass and not killing her off in Grace Under Pressure because the fans really liked her. I have a nasty feeling that being so far ahead this year is going to handicap them with their core audience.
                    This is so much like politicians who think the core will vote for them anyway, so they move left or right to get more votes. It almost always backfires. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Bridge Studios right about now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lissa1000
                      I've been out of the loop lately, are the actors or tptb saying they are going with Sheyla?
                      Not really. I think its just all the rumors before the season started were about sheyla and how it was going to happen in season 3. It seemed that it was the way it was going, just from the JF interview but I think we were all just paranoid and seriously in sparky withdrawl
                      sigpic
                      My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by lissa1000
                        No. Posters on other threads and others forums who claim to have inside info. *makes plans to stay in the Sparky thread* A lot of it was wild speculation and interpretation of the JF interview and evidently some mindreading on some things RL said. She actually said she thought TPTB might be going in a different direction. I guess that's code for Sheyla. *is confused*
                        sigpic

Comment

I hate it when trolls pop in here.

Comment

I hate it when trolls pop in here.
                            Maybe this will work.

sigpic

Comment

No. Posters on other threads and others forums who claim to have inside info. *makes plans to stay in the Sparky thread* A lot of it was wild speculation and interpretation of the JF interview and evidently some mindreading on some things RL said. She actually said she thought TPTB might be going in a different direction. I guess that's code for Sheyla. *is confused*
                              From what I've seen the speculation about the other ship comes from the neighbor of a boyfriend of a cousin of an ex-husband of an assistant producer. Of course if the spoilers are spread too far, the assistant producer will get fired. Believe nothing until you see it on your TV.

Comment

Phew, y'all had me scared for a minute there. I would be surprised if they went with Sheyla at this point because I haven't seen anything shippy with them this season. I guess that talk they had in Sateda could be interpreted that way, but to me it looked more like friendship. Also, the fact that Sheppard lied about how many wraith he killed looked like sibling rivalry. Not that there is anything wrong with them going with Sheyla, I just like Sparky and Spanky better.

Comment

Working...
                                X