No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why weird? Good points there! Elizabeth is my favorite character, Torri is my favorite actress. But people seem to have a problem when directors change the actors to play the same character. I think that had a lot to do with Liz hatered. And yes actress and the character are very attractive!

I just saw a rerun of Critical Mass, which lots of people had a problem with, conserning Lizzie's actions. But I think that even if she didn't
    Spoiler:
    authorize to torture Kav, people would be like: "She could have destroyed the entire city because of her stupid morals about peace"...

to keep it legal: the ending makes me squee every time

Comment

The time warp post was written after Suspicion. I know that after Poisoning the Well aired a lot of people had a problem with her simply mentioning the Geneva convention in talking to John.

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
        But people seem to have a problem when directors change the actors to play the same character. I think that had a lot to do with Liz hatered.
        I think the recast had a lot to do with it, Jessica Steen had done a fair bit of genre television and was well liked in some corners. There had been some unpleasent things coming out of her camp, and we were never really told why it was done. The mystery didn't go over well in fandom.

I think the other major problem that caused much of the hate was just the nature of the character. She's a very unconventional hero for science fiction television, though perhaps that's changing now with Battlestar Galactica. In most traditional science fiction the ambassador or civilian leader was always the one who got the crew into trouble or wanted to do something supremely stupid (as in the 1978 version of BSG, "let's settle on this planet, the Cylons will never find us here..."),

Comment

I know this is a change of topic but Fic Rec!

Now She Knew!

Very cute and fluffy!

Spoiler:
          Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
            I think the other major problem that caused much of the hate was just the nature of the character. She's a very unconventional hero for science fiction television, though perhaps that's changing now with Battlestar Galactica. In most traditional science fiction the ambassador or civilian leader was always the one who got the crew into trouble or wanted to do something supremely stupid (as in the 1978 version of BSG, "let's settle on this planet, the Cylons will never find us here..."),
            I haven't watched too many sci fi shows, so I can't respond well, but I think what Elizabeth is doing is very realistic to a great leader. But, what you mention about traditional sci fi shows, doesn't seem too realistic to me.

But the fact that people just can't accept the change is really annoying... I'm glad those hatered days are over (or almost over) even though I've missed them, I did go back and read some of the nastiness that was going on. It was so horrible it made me shake ... maybe that makes me crazy

Comment

But the fact that people just can't accept the change is really annoying... I'm glad those hatered days are over (or almost over) even though I've missed them, I did go back and read some of the nastiness that was going on. It was so horrible it made me shake ... maybe that makes me crazy
              I think what was most frustrating about that at the time was that I was almost certain Torri at least knew about it. At the time the Atlantis vfx people were posting fairly regularly to the episode threads and I at least had the feeling that the production crew had an awareness of the board. It wasn't confirmed until last month... but that's what I most regret. I wish I could go back and .... I don't know, do a better job to have saved her from that.

Comment

I haven't watched too many sci fi shows, so I can't respond well, but I think what Elizabeth is doing is very realistic to a great leader. But, what you mention about traditional sci fi shows, doesn't seem too realistic to me.

That's why I have never gone in an Anti Thread. I accedently clicked on the Sheyla thread once and the Anti-Weir/Torri stuff I read made me sick.

Personally I think that both actresses did a fine job. I perfer Torri but I can understand one reason why they used the other actress.

Weir in TLC was very crisp, cool, professional. In New Oreder she was relaxed somewhat but not completely. I think she was still trying to absorb everything. Torri did an excellent job of portraying this.

In Rising, which i think was supposed to take place some time later she was more at ease with everything. Torri does a very good job of acting this. I'm not sure Jessica Steen would have done as well of a job. I've only seen her in Earth 2 but that character was formal too.

And I watch Soap Operas. I'm used to cast changes.

To be legal...

Spoiler:
                Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

I think what was most frustrating about that at the time was that I was almost certain Torri at least knew about it. At the time the Atlantis vfx people were posting fairly regularly to the episode threads and I at least had the feeling that the production crew had an awareness of the board. It wasn't confirmed until last month... but that's what I most regret. I wish I could go back and .... I don't know, do a better job to have saved her from that.
                  Well, when I've read a certain post a few months ago, it made me really, really sad.. But at the same time happy that there were some people, you, who were vocal and trying to protect the actress and the character, and she saw that not everyone hated her.. Can you imagine reading those posts, not see any support, and then go film Atlantis the next day? So your posts did have an effect, as it was confirmed . And hey I've read those posts too, I think you did a great job.... They were great and really... patient, I guess is the right word. I don't know how you stayed sane trying to show people that hetered isn't necessary...

Comment

They were great and really... patient, I guess is the right word. I don't know how you stayed sane trying to show people that hetered isn't necessary...
                    There was a reason I left gateworld. I was pretty much burned out after spending all of the first season of Atlantis on a crusade.

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                      It was me. Bartlet was reading stuff from John's file, and you told me the Air Force doesn't fly three of the five helicopters that were listed.

And eyecandylvr, if you'll take a trip down memory lane, you'll see that MF was the one mostly to blame for the mint thing, though Athena, FP, and I have much to be blamed for.
                      Oh, that's why the mints are bad. I never really understood the mint jokes, just knew not to take them.
                      Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

Originally posted by atlantisrocks
                        Oh, that's why the mints are bad. I never really understood the mint jokes, just knew not to take them.
                        The mints are an example of why season breaks are dangerous times.

Comment

the ending makes me squee every time
                          Oh yes, me too. I could watch the ending over and over again and I would squee everytime!

That's horrible! Poor Torri! She's a great actress and she seems so sweet. I find it hard to believe that people could hate her, but I guess nothing people do should surprise me.

At the beginning I didn't really care one way or the other about her, but she looked a little too severe to me. Now it seems like they're trying to make Weir more feminine and casual with her longer curly hair and makeup and she looks absolutely gorgeous! I was watching Critical Mass again tonight and I was struck again by how stunning she was. I honestly don't know how John was able to keep from kissing her . Then again, now that I think about it, I don't know how Liz is able to keep from kissing John every episode either. They're just so darn cute together!

“Le monde a tellement de regrets
                          Tellement de choses qu'on promet.
                          Une seule pour laquelle je suis fait
                          Je t'aimais, je t'aime et je t'aimerai...”

~ Francis Cabrel

Comment

Even though I wasn't on this forum at that time, it sounds like you did a great job defending Torri/Weir. So don't feel bad at all.
                            Say No To Kirking: Join STAKS

Comment

I think Torri gets most of the credit, even more than the writers do, for pulling her character out of that cess pool of hate. The feelings changed right around the middle of the season when she started doing a lot of conventions. People came back from conventions raving about how nice and interesting she was... it was a very classy thing.

As for Weir in TLC, when I handed my english instructor copies of the episodes I cited for that paper I had to warn her ahead of time that there had been a recast because she completely did not register them as the same character. One of the things that makes me cringe when I see TLC these days is the wardrobe.... can you imagin Dr. Weir sending off a team on a dangerous offworld mission wearing a hoody sweet shirt? Or meeting an alien delegation in a brown fringe skirt?

Comment

I think Torri gets most of the credit, even more than the writers do, for pulling her character out of that cess pool of hate. The feelings changed right around the middle of the season when she started doing a lot of conventions. People came back from conventions raving about how nice and interesting she was... it was a very classy thing.
                                Completely agree. I'm just talking to someone on MSN about this, I think after seeing some of the hatered would have put a lot of people down, and reflect on their job.. but it didn't with Torri . Just amazing!
                                And about conventions - people shouldn't really judge people before they meet them.

can you imagin Dr. Weir sending off a team on a dangerous offworld mission wearing a hoody sweet shirt? Or meeting an alien delegation in a brown fringe skirt?
                                Never! But I'm liking the evil!Lizzie jacket

Comment

Working...
                                X