Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    "Angel". I don't like vampire shows but OMG I love Wesley and Fred. Although I started shipping them because I saw the actors in Joss Whedon's version of "Much Ado About Nothing". A perfect example of knowing when two actors have chemistry and using them together in other projects. *glares at PTW*

Oh, BTW. Guess what made a resurgence tonight?

Chapter 5 of "Atlantis Orientation"

The crack is back.
    I forgot how much I love that story, SW!!

More please.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Believe me, we're not that easily fooled. I doubt it was the authors who chose the cover.
    How very true. I just realized I've never seen these Legacy books anywhere and I was even looking around a Barnes & Noble store today.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Ah Angel. It used to be one of my favorite shows for a while. Then about 75% into Season 4 it hit a point where I hit a point where I just couldn't follow the show as seriously anymore. Although given the other shows I've liked and felt like dropping entirely, maybe just downgrading myself to a causal fan stacks up well in comparison.

It was also a rare example of another ship that I really liked. I was a Angel/Cordelia fan. I've never really been in touch with the demographics of the Buffyverse fandom but I think that makes me in the minority or something? That was something that didn't exactly seem all that well done, given that it's entire purpose amounted to be two years of building up to something that was seemingly never intended to even have a payoff.

Occasionally I think about bringing up my other favorites pairings in a discussion about them, but then I remember most people here are like professional shippers or something and have probably a giant list of other favorite ships.

Amateurs like me only have 2 or 3.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I went looking around and couldn't find anything conclusive about the plot... But I found something that sgafan posted on the author's LJ page. Sharing because I like it.

Ah, that's lovely. I'm afraid SGAFan is barking up the wrong tree putting that on that certain author's site. That particular author has a very warped view of Elizabeth and John's relationship with Elizabeth. I know from reading her fan fiction. *shudders*

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        Ah Angel. It used to be one of my favorite shows for a while. Then about 75% into Season 4 it hit a point where I hit a point where I just couldn't follow the show as seriously anymore. Although given the other shows I've liked and felt like dropping entirely, maybe just downgrading myself to a causal fan stacks up well in comparison.

It was also a rare example of another ship that I really liked. I was a Angel/Cordelia fan. I've never really been in touch with the demographics of the Buffyverse fandom but I think that makes me in the minority or something? That was something that didn't exactly seem all that well done, given that it's entire purpose amounted to be two years of building up to something that was seemingly never intended to even have a payoff.

Occasionally I think about bringing up my other favorites pairings in a discussion about them, but then I remember most people here are like professional shippers or something and have probably a giant list of other favorite ships.

OMG, I am TOTALLY with you on everything you just posted. I was also a Cordy/Angel shipper and a Cordy fan in general. What they did with her in S4 made me so angry. I'm still angry to this day. I think I've mentioned this before, but I have always thought Angel and SGA had kinda similar trajectories where season 1 was getting everyone settled, S2 brought some cast changes, S3 they were really coming into their own, S4 they clucker *****ed everything, and then they brought in people from the original series to try to make it good again while shifting the whole course of the series.

I will never be over my rage for either of these 2 shows.

Comment

Boy, am I glad I never got into Angel...

As for SGA, it seems that most people are ignoring those books because they are too focused on pleasing a very small segment of the fandom instead of creating a story that 99% percent of the fandom will enjoy. The fact that they're not even spending the money to do runs of preprinted books for national distribution says it all about how the sales are going. Between that and the recent developments on the Emmerich film reboot, the TV universe fandom at large is getting left out in the cold no matter how you look at it. Well, I suppose we all knew this was coming. *shrugs*
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I consider myself an amateur. Just a very crazy one.

I was under the impression that Angel/Cordy was the more popular ship on "Angel", but I've often gotten the wrong impression about things before.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            Ah, that's lovely. I'm afraid SGAFan is barking up the wrong tree putting that on that certain author's site. That particular author has a very warped view of Elizabeth and John's relationship with Elizabeth. I know from reading her fan fiction. *shudders*
            I read the sample of one of her novels and I gotta say, it left me more confused than ... well I don't know what.

Anyhow. Moving on.

OMG, I am TOTALLY with you on everything you just posted. I was also a Cordy/Angel shipper and a Cordy fan in general. What they did with her in S4 made me so angry. I'm still angry to this day. I think I've mentioned this before, but I have always thought Angel and SGA had kinda similar trajectories where season 1 was getting everyone settled, S2 brought some cast changes, S3 they were really coming into their own, S4 they clucker *****ed everything, and then they brought in people from the original series to try to make it good again while shifting the whole course of the series.

Yeah, S4 left me very confused as a casual watcher who was looking for Wes/Fred eppys. It felt like Cordy's sleeping form deserved the credit for her appearances more than anything. It didn't quite feel like it got resolved.

Hoping that AOS will take a different trajectory...

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

As for SGA, it seems that most people are ignoring those books because they are too focused on pleasing a very small segment of the fandom instead of creating a story that 99% percent of the fandom will enjoy. The fact that they're not even spending the money to do runs of preprinted books for national distribution says it all about how the sales are going. Between that and the recent developments on the Emmerich film reboot, the TV universe fandom at large is getting left out in the cold no matter how you look at it. Well, I suppose we all knew this was coming. *shrugs*
              Well. As we've always said, we'll always have fanfic.

Comment

Hoping that AOS will take a different trajectory...
                Considering how actively involved Marvel is with all of its in-house productions, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Well. As we've always said, we'll always have fanfic.
                Indeed. Speaking of which... *puts out a fresh carrot cake to tempt the muses*
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Not to worry, I'm but an amateur too.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It is funny though that they put John and Elizabeth on the cover. I'm betting they don't even speak to each other in the book. Unless it's for her to gush over how happy she is about certain events. Why, yes I am just feeling terribly witchy today if you were wondering. But only in an ironic sort of a way. *snorts*
                    They probably won’t. And worse than that,
                    Spoiler:
                    they are actually trying to push Rodney and Elizabeth, just have a look at the summary of the book and some comments that were made in the author’s LJ:

Some details about the next Legacy book -

Convinced that an Ascended Elizabeth Weir saved his life, Rodney McKay argues that she must have escaped her replicator body in order to ascend. No one believes him, but when rumors reach Atlantis of a woman with no memory who calls herself ‘Elizabeth’, Rodney is determined to track her down.

Meanwhile, Daniel’s research uncovers evidence of Vanir activity in the Pegasus galaxy - evidence that casts both light and shadow over the mystery of Elizabeth...

Source: SGA Legacy Book series thread

from the author’s LJ:

Fan: Did Elizabeth get caught interfering with events around Rodney, or was he just the final straw on top of the previous dream visits to Teyla? Personally, I'm hoping that Rodney and Elizabeth's friendship can be more deeply explored and developed - she did break the ultimate ascended rule for him, perhaps?

I'm also curious how the Others find out and kick Elizabeth out of the club - maybe more happened between Rodney's trip from the Puddlejumper and The Hammond than we initially saw? Maybe Elizabeth decides to return voluntarily?

Author: Ok, kind of spoilery but not too much.

Yes, Elizabeth got caught saving Rodney's life. If she hadn't intervened, Rodney would have died crashing the puddlejumper into the sun. Elizabeth could not let that happen, and so she sacrificed her immortality for Rodney. She transported him off the puddlejumper and into the Hammond's infirmary. She knew that she wouldn't get by with it, but it was absolutely worth it to her.

Now we'll see Rodney's reaction -- because even if everybody thinks he was delirious and did something himself or that somehow the Hammond beamed him out, he knows what happened. He knows Elizabeth saved him, and that she's probably out there somewhere. He'll stop at nothing to find her. And that's where Unascended begins, with Rodney's determination!

Author's LJ

It’s a total disaster!!!!
                    sigpic
                    sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

I went looking around and couldn't find anything conclusive about the plot... But I found something that sgafan posted on the author's LJ page. Sharing because I like it.

I just love that, especially the look on John's face. She does good work.

In my case, there's shipping and then there's shipping. Sparky is the only ship I have ever actively been involved in and thought about after the show was over. I can go all the way back to before most of you were born and name couples I shipped, but I never really got serious about any of them.

Didn't Charisma Carpenter have a baby during Angel? That may have affected the story just like Rachel's pregnancy on SGA.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      ITA. Nothing that's said about how happy they are to bring Elizabeth back or how much fun she was to write will ever convince me they actually like her after the way she was written in certain fan fics. It may just be a good excuse to trash Sparky by trying to convince readers they didn't like each other or that he felt uncomfortable around her.

I hadn't thought about Angel that way, but you are right. It just went to heck in a handbasket that last year.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

And maybe MGM thought putting John and Elizabeth on the cover would boost sales. ROTFLMAO! Imagine buying the book thinking it features them heavily and then….OMG. I'd demand my money back.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                        They probably won’t. And worse than that,
                        Spoiler:
                        they are actually trying to push Rodney and Elizabeth, just have a look at the summary of the book and some comments that were made in the author’s LJ:

Some details about the next Legacy book -

Convinced that an Ascended Elizabeth Weir saved his life, Rodney McKay argues that she must have escaped her replicator body in order to ascend. No one believes him, but when rumors reach Atlantis of a woman with no memory who calls herself ‘Elizabeth’, Rodney is determined to track her down.

Meanwhile, Daniel’s research uncovers evidence of Vanir activity in the Pegasus galaxy - evidence that casts both light and shadow over the mystery of Elizabeth...

Source: SGA Legacy Book series thread

from the author’s LJ:

Fan: Did Elizabeth get caught interfering with events around Rodney, or was he just the final straw on top of the previous dream visits to Teyla? Personally, I'm hoping that Rodney and Elizabeth's friendship can be more deeply explored and developed - she did break the ultimate ascended rule for him, perhaps?

I'm also curious how the Others find out and kick Elizabeth out of the club - maybe more happened between Rodney's trip from the Puddlejumper and The Hammond than we initially saw? Maybe Elizabeth decides to return voluntarily?

Author: Ok, kind of spoilery but not too much.

Yes, Elizabeth got caught saving Rodney's life. If she hadn't intervened, Rodney would have died crashing the puddlejumper into the sun. Elizabeth could not let that happen, and so she sacrificed her immortality for Rodney. She transported him off the puddlejumper and into the Hammond's infirmary. She knew that she wouldn't get by with it, but it was absolutely worth it to her.

Now we'll see Rodney's reaction -- because even if everybody thinks he was delirious and did something himself or that somehow the Hammond beamed him out, he knows what happened. He knows Elizabeth saved him, and that she's probably out there somewhere. He'll stop at nothing to find her. And that's where Unascended begins, with Rodney's determination!

Author's LJ

It’s a total disaster!!!!
                        We posted at the same time. LOL

Oh, I see now. How much do you bet that John will go off looking for the Vanir and won't even see Elizabeth? Or if they meet, it will never be alone and will be very formal and stiff. Plus, I'm still betting that there will be a "touching" scene when she tells John and Teyla how happy she is for them. Bet on it.
                        sigpic

Comment

*bans those books & authors from the fandom*

They are only happening in an alternate universe anyway...
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

And maybe MGM thought putting John and Elizabeth on the cover would boost sales. ROTFLMAO! Imagine buying the book thinking it features them heavily and then….OMG. I'd demand my money back.
                            I guess this is one of those situations in which one can really say: “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

We posted at the same time. LOL
                            I guess we did.

Oh, I see now. How much do you bet that John will go off looking for the Vanir and won't even see Elizabeth? Or if they meet, it will never be alone and will be very formal and stiff. Plus, I'm still betting that there will be a "touching" scene when she tells John and Teyla how happy she is for them. Bet on it.
                            *shudders at the horrible thought*

A friend sent me this:

Spoiler:
                            Sneak Peek From The Book:

John sat in front of his laptop, trying to figure out how to frame the email he was thinking of sending.

Hi Sam, he began mentally. How’s it going? I was just wondering if you think there’s any chance that Elizabeth Weir is an Ascended being, rather than being dead in space because we couldn’t do anything to save her.

That sounded crazy. If he got that kind of email from someone, he’d think there was something wrong with them. Like they were having some kind of guilt complex about not being able to save people they cared about. So, screw that.

Hi Sam,, he tried mentally composing again. Hope you’re having a good time on the Hammond.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

I guess this is one of those situations in which one can really say: “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

I guess we did.

*shudders at the horrible thought*

A friend sent me this:

Spoiler:
                              Sneak Peek From The Book:

John sat in front of his laptop, trying to figure out how to frame the email he was thinking of sending.

Hi Sam, he began mentally. How’s it going? I was just wondering if you think there’s any chance that Elizabeth Weir is an Ascended being, rather than being dead in space because we couldn’t do anything to save her.

That sounded crazy. If he got that kind of email from someone, he’d think there was something wrong with them. Like they were having some kind of guilt complex about not being able to save people they cared about. So, screw that.

Hi Sam,, he tried mentally composing again. Hope you’re having a good time on the Hammond.
                              Okay, is it just me or is John out of character here?
                              Spoiler:
                              He never ever called Sam by her first name. In addition, she is his superior officer. If they had a close friendship, they would have used first names when out of uniform, but he would not be emailing her in such a way. Aside from all that, this sounds about as much like John as the rest of her fanfic.

Though, I will say, even when written by Sparky-hating hacks, any story featuring them just takes on a Sparky tone no matter how badly written it is.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                *bans those books & authors from the fandom*

They are only happening in an alternate universe anyway...
                                Yup, totally not canon, speaking of canon...

Nice shot! *high-fives*

Comment

Working...
                                X