No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Originally posted by ajay View Post
    Howdy folks!
    So I'm working my way through a second watch through of SGA. I just got done with The Siege trilogy, and I think I've been bitten by the Weir/Sheppard bug. It was that moment when John returns from his suicide mission and Elizabeth had just managed to get the shield up to stop the dart kamikazes. That look between them was electric! And the hug was awkward cute too.
    Anyway I'm going to keep watching and see if the bug sticks around. I don't really remember the show well from the first time round so it's all new
    Greetings and welcome to the madness! Once you get bitten by the Sparky bug, it never really leaves.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Yes, there were episodes like Brainstorm that should never have seen the light of day, IMO.

And yes, well... that one event which shall not be named in season 4 that changed Atlantis forever -- let me put it this way --> Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!
    Just one event? There were a whole series of events that shall not be named in Season 4...

It started raining around 9:30pm, when we were long finished with the cake... but that was okay cause we were just about heading home anyway as my mother had forgotten her 10 o'clock medication, which is best to be taken on time.
    Glad to know the party didn't get rained out!

Originally posted by M-CharmedAlantian View Post
    Hi guys, sorry for that huge hiatus that I have been on for the past couple of years. I've graduated from high school and now been going to a community college for a year which has been taking up most if not all of my time, also am looking for a job. Anyway, anything new that has been happening lately...?
    Hmm, we're all still crazy for Sparky!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Atlantis is still dead.

MGM has given Devlin & Emmerich the go ahead to reboot Stargate. They will obviously ignore all of SG1/SGA/SGU. Which I personally don't mind.

Legacy books are still being written, so characters are still being written all out of whack. I say, those books are happening in some twisted alternate universe.

New fic is still being written, and posted.

...and that's about it, I think.
      Regarding the Legacy books, are they considered canon? And I have been hearing about some unsettling rumors about the John/Teyla relationship in the books and I am hoping someone could clarify it to me and am also hoping that I am reading too much into it?

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        Just one event? There were a whole series of events that shall not be named in Season 4...
        Of course there are... many, but you know the one I refer to is my ONE.

Regarding the Legacy books, are they considered canon?
        Depends who you ask, but no, they are not considered canon by 95% of the fandom population. If it wasn't on screen, it isn't canon.

And I have been hearing about some unsettling rumors about the John/Teyla relationship in the books and I am hoping someone could clarify it to me and am also hoping that I am reading too much into it?
        Sadly, those rumors are true. The hoops the authors (J/T'ers themselves) jumped through to explain their pairing as valid, are beyond anyone's imagination. Notwithstanding the hilarious out of characterizing of almost every character involved.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Regarding the Legacy books, are they considered canon? And I have been hearing about some unsettling rumors about the John/Teyla relationship in the books and I am hoping someone could clarify it to me and am also hoping that I am reading too much into it?
          FH nailed it, but I have to add my 2 cents. No, no a thousand times no, those books are not canon. They were approved by MGM, but so were a lot of other tie-in books with completely different events, so none of them are canon.

I read the first one, and there are 2 ways of looking at the Sheyla thing. If you love it, you'll think there is not enough but will be excited by what you get. If you hate it, you will think it was overdone. MGM insisted that the books be PG, so no overt romantic scenes. There is a lot of him pining for her and her pining for him and it just gets sickening. Both John and Teyla were written so badly, it's almost laughable, especially Teyla and how she views the Kanaan relationship. I can't imagine any of us being excited about reading such a plot involving Elizabeth, and I don't think we ever envisioned Sparky acting like middle school girls over each other. Badly written and I can say that as a former teacher who knows a thing or two about how to write a story. Plus, we won't even get into the Wraith debacle. Go read the reviews on Amazon for more details. You'll ROTFL.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            I actually liked Buffy/Spike and Angel/Cordy. But then again, I never had any deep love for Buffy/Angel so...
            I was kind of deep in love with Buffy/Angel. But after them, the only pairing, for which I had really fall in love with, was definitely Sparky. Once Atlantis was over I had to venture online in search of more info about this show. And here I am.

Yeah, me too. When I was in college, the net was just starting to get going and there were email list groups that you could be in. Does anyone else remember those? Even then I think I posted once or twice about Voyager, but SGA is the first show where I actually posted on a forum.
            Sparky was the first pairing that pulled me into fandom and the one pairing that made me post in a forum.

Speaking of SG1, I still haven't watched most of the early seasons. If you were going to give someone a few early season episodes to get you going, which ones would you pick?
            Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
            Hmm, good question. I really haven't seen most of the early seasons, either.
            I haven’t watched all SG1 seasons either; I still need to watch many episodes of the early seasons. But I watched all of the episodes of seasons 7, 8, 9 and 10, thinking they were somehow related with Atlantis.

Do you need to have seen the original movie first? Or can you go into that blind?
            The first time “Enemy at the Gate” was shown here was on the 1st of August 2012. Around this time, was also when the 1994 Stargate movie was shown on yet another cable TV channel. So like FH and SR said, it's really not necessary for you to first watch the original movie before watching SG1's early seasons.

Considering I wasn't even aware Stargate '94 existed when I started watching SG1, I'd have to answer that with a "not necessary". And it wasn't Children of the Gods I saw first either, but what episode I did see I can't tell you cause I was flipping channels that one saturday afternoon and I saw MacGyver on TV going through a puddle of water, and continued flipping. Realizing nothing else was one, we flipped back to MacGyver that wasn't MacGyver. We then continued to watch every saturday, and then downloaded every season cause at that point the USA was 4 seasons ahead of us.
            I watched season 1 of SG1, a long time ago, many, many years ago (can’t remember exactly when) and I begin watching it because of MacGyver,
            Spoiler:

SG 1 back then was shown on our national TV channel, but after the end of the first season, it stopped being shown. At least I don’t remember seeing it anymore, afterwards.

Many years later, around 2009 - 2010, a national cable TV, focused in action, horror and sci-fi shows, begun showing SG1 again. I didn't follow it religiously, I could only watch its reruns that were shown during the day, and on the few times I would be at home.

Around that time, the new episodes of SG1, Atlantis and even Universe, were being showed at night, on different days of the week. But on those times I would usually watch other shows on TV, so I never watched SG1 or Atlantis when they were premiering. (Never watched SGU)

One day, someone at home was watching Atlantis and when I entered the room and begun looking at the show, I was told that a certain older woman, that had travelled in time, was another version of this other younger woman, and I remember thinking: “Cool”, and I started watching the remaining of the episode. I guess I can say, “Before I Sleep”, was the first Atlantis episode that I watched.

I always remember seeing Atlantis and even SGU being announced on the breaks of other shows, but I never paid too much attention to it. (Shame on me!!!)

Then, on a certain weekend, I was flipping channels, and I happened to stop on the channel where “Letters from Pegasus” was being shown, the part in which John was looking through the binoculars and then when he was returning to the Puddle Jumper and he sees all the ones Teyla was trying to save. I also remember, quite clearly, of seeing the part in which Elizabeth tells him that maybe he would want to record the message to Colonel Sumner’s family, and I remember seeing John recording it. Back then I had no clue of what was going on, but, nevertheless, I found it interesting. Meanwhile I continue watching SG1’s reruns, occasionally here and there.

But then, one night, someone was, once again, watching Atlantis. I know now that, the episode that was being shown was “Adrift”. It was on the part when John throws Zelenka to the other side, when they were on their way to make the repairs, and then we see that shot of the city and them in space, and that’s when I was really sold on the show. I thought to myself: “This is really cool! I need to, have a look, at this show, on a much greater detail.”

Some time later, I was on a sick leave, which allowed me to have a lot of free time at home during the week, when the reruns of both SG1 and Atlantis were being showed during the day. And that’s when I finally started following Atlantis. Ended up watching all the episodes from the first three seasons, although not in the correct order, since I only watched “Rising” much time later, besides the reruns, I also begun watching, the new episodes once a week at night. My first new episode of Atlantis was "Reunion", ironically the episode that “welcomes” Colonel Carter in Atlantis.
            sigpic
            sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Howdy folks!
              So I'm working my way through a second watch through of SGA. I just got done with The Siege trilogy, and I think I've been bitten by the Weir/Sheppard bug. It was that moment when John returns from his suicide mission and Elizabeth had just managed to get the shield up to stop the dart kamikazes. That look between them was electric! And the hug was awkward cute too.
              Anyway I'm going to keep watching and see if the bug sticks around. I don't really remember the show well from the first time round so it's all new
              Yay!!!!! Welcome!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
              Welcome to the madness. We love it when people watch and see what we see.
              So true!!!

Because they were poor episodes, or because things happened you wish could be removed from canon?
              A little bit of both.

Yes, there were episodes like Brainstorm that should never have seen the light of day, IMO.
              That’s the only episode I have only watched once. When it unfortunately premiered.

Atlantis is still dead.
              Allow me to disagree. SGA Rising , remember?

A word of friendly advice; Keep away from the Legacy books.
              sigpic
              sig by Erin Atlantis Rising: The Virtual series Thank you so much for "Primum Movens"

Comment

Speaking of SG1, I still haven't watched most of the early seasons. If you were going to give someone a few early season episodes to get you going, which ones would you pick?
                I've seen SG-1 three times through now. So in terms of episodes to get you going without having to watch every one? Here's a brief list for Seasons 1 through 4. By no means comprehensive but a good start:

Children of the Gods - because it's the pilot so it will set up the story for you.
                The Torment of Tantalus - introduces the Alliance of the Four Races (Asgard, Ancients, Furlings, Nox)
                There But For the Grace of God - parallel universe!
                Within the Serpent's Grasp / The Serpent's Lair - because it's a fantastic season ender
                Thor's Chariot - this is kind of a sequel to S1 Thor's Hammer, but it can be watched standalone. First appearance of the Asgard.
                The Tok'ra Part 1 and 2 - introduction of the Tok'ra and Jacob Carter/Selmak
                The Fifth Race - Jack gets all the knowledge of the Ancients downloaded into his brain
                1969 - time travel fun!
                Out of Mind/Into the Fire - not one of the best season enders but still worth seeing
                Point of View - more parallel universe fun
                Forever in a Day - wraps up the story of Daniel's wife, Sha're
                Nemesis/Small Victories - first appearance of the replicators!
                Upgrades/Divide and Conquer - must watch if you ship Sam/Jack. Still an interesting watch otherwise.
                Window of Opportunity - my all time favorite SG-1 episode
                Tangent - the SGC build their own death glider
                2010 - more time travel fun
                Exodus - Tok'ra based season ender

Comment

Thank You, and yes I am staying thousands of miles away from those books and staying right in my denial shell.

Comment

I actually liked Buffy/Spike and Angel/Cordy. But then again, I never had any deep love for Buffy/Angel so...
                    For me I think it was the fact that I was never much of a Buffy fan, even though I loved Angel. The show just never appealed to me in anything like the same way. Maybe because it was aimed a little more as existing with adult themes than high school themes. I feel like it probably said a lot that the only Buffy/Angel scene that I found truly poignant is when she showed up on his show. I watched a lot of episodes of Buffy, but I kind of decided to treat them as like watching a prequel to Angel or something. Comparing Season 1-3 of Buffy to Angel is actually kind of a hilarious experience, it's really amazing how getting your own shown suddenly makes you and your sub-plots much so more baddass and important.

I actually was against the idea of Angel and Cordelia at first simply because the idea sounded really cliche to me. But somehow the show managed to win me over. Later I read a Joss Wheadon interview about why Charisma Carpenter wasn't going to be in Season 5 and he said something to the effect of "We've gone about as far as we ever intended with Angel and Cordelia. They were not a popular couple among our fans at all."

My internal response was something like "Then why did you WASTE SO MUCH TIME ESTABLISHING HOW IMPORTANT THEY WERE TO EACHOTHER!!!!!"
                    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 06 July 2014, 12:34 AM.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl of Atlantis76 View Post
                      Allow me to disagree. SGA Rising , remember?
                      Yes, but Stargate Atlantis as a show is still dead.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

It started raining around 9:30pm, when we were long finished with the cake... but that was okay cause we were just about heading home anyway as my mother had forgotten her 10 o'clock medication, which is best to be taken on time.
                          At least it held off until you were finished.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                              At least it held off until you were finished.
                              That it certainly did.

But my aunt's always joking about the fact that whomever operates the raintap, always turns it on when she sticks her nose out. And considering it was very warm outside, she had been tempting faith all afternoon already. So, it was bound to happen some time.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                FH nailed it, but I have to add my 2 cents. No, no a thousand times no, those books are not canon. They were approved by MGM, but so were a lot of other tie-in books with completely different events, so none of them are canon.
                                SR makes an excellent point here. There's a few cases where the books do contradict each other and the show; kind of inevitable when you've got different authors writing stories while a series is still on the air, but when books written after the show has ended are still contradicting the show for no reasonable explanation, there's a problem. So yeah, not canon.
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X