No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was really interesting hearing about Joe Flanigan's attempts to get the franchise going again. I wonder how it would have turned out. And I wonder if I should feel sad about missing out on more SGA. I think I made my peace with the cancellation of SGA, eventually, but still would have probably enjoyed more.

It's happened with a depressingly number of franchises I liked over the years. And I'm sure other people here too.

I feel like there's a lot of that going on especially lately.

Just recently I saw Riddick, which is one of my favorite sci-fi franchises of all time but, based on how empty the theater was, I suspect I won't get any more sequels...

Oh wait you guys were just talking about The Queen weren't you? (i was going to type this the other night. Pretend it's still on topic )

I actually liked this episode. Teyla may have been initially a plot device but it actually explored her character than it's sometimes given credit for. Personally I especially liked the scene when she orders her hive to open fire on the other one. It was a mistake, and it was unexpected but I think it sort of fit her character. Often this fact is overshadowed by the fact that it's also Ronon's defining characteristic, but Teyla also has a deep seated hatred of wraith. With Todd deceiving her and thrusting her into a dangerous situation she was unprepared for, surrounded by those she despises the most, I can see why she might fight back in her possible ways.

And Todd's horrified realization of "you're doing this on purpose" was both well acted and feeds perfectly into his paranoia about being betrayed in First Contact. Now like a lot of things later in the show, I have no idea if that's some clever foresight on the part of TPTB or just a coincidence that worked out but either way I really liked it.

Yeah the surgery was pretty absurd to make her into a wraith, but I dunno somehow I didn't let it bother me. Everyone has their own threshold for how much technobabble suspension of disbelief they allow and this one was right on the line for me but maybe because I liked the episode it didn't cross it. It could have been done better though, maybe if fit was Todd (or better yet him and some wraith mad scientist subordinate) who did the procedure and Keller was the adviser, rather than the reverse. I could buy wraith tech being responsible more than whatever Keller must have been using.

Plus I tend to enjoy it when people outside the usual main cast get the "save the day credit" so I thought it was pretty cool Todd made the save in the end.
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 30 September 2013, 10:25 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      well apparently the government just shut down here in the states.
      That's what they'd like you to believe, but it's only partly shut down. All the essential services are still up and running. On the bright side, Mr. SR is not essential and will have some time off.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
        That's what they'd like you to believe, but it's only partly shut down. All the essential services are still up and running. On the bright side, Mr. SR is not essential and will have some time off.
        well more time with the fam-bam i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
          well apparently the government just shut down here in the states.
          This concept is so foreign to me I can't even understand how it works. Is it like a strike of government employees?

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            ps - when did Garrett Wang get so cute?
            I know, right?

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            It just goes to show that the fans weren't that shrill and ill-informed after all.
            Indeed.

That was exactly what I thought when I heard what he said. He always was tuned into the fans a thousand times better than TPTB. And he thought the Sheppard/Weir relationship was working. He may not have thought they should end up together romantically, but he did see what we saw up to a point. So take that naysayers. *makes a very immature face*
            Heh! *joins in making immature faces at the naysayers*

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            I actually liked this episode. Teyla may have been initially a plot device but it actually explored her character than it's sometimes given credit for. Personally I especially liked the scene when she orders her hive to open fire on the other one. It was a mistake, and it was unexpected but I think it sort of fit her character. Often this fact is overshadowed by the fact that it's also Ronon's defining characteristic, but Teyla also has a deep seated hatred of wraith. With Todd deceiving her and thrusting her into a dangerous situation she was unprepared for, surrounded by those she despises the most, I can see why she might fight back in her possible ways.

And Todd's horrified realization of "you're doing this on purpose" was both well acted and feeds perfectly into his paranoia about being betrayed in First Contact. Now like a lot of things later in the show, I have no idea if that's some clever foresight on the part of TPTB or just a coincidence that worked out but either way I really liked it.
            Yep, I loved that scene, too. Teyla's lost her father, probably her mother, and who knows how many other friends and loved ones to the Wraith over the years. Any chance to hit them hard is something she'll take. She's just normally more subtle about it than Ronon, but whatever gets the job done, she'll go for it. Todd really should've seen it coming, LOL.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            Yeah the surgery was pretty absurd to make her into a wraith, but I dunno somehow I didn't let it bother me. Everyone has their own threshold for how much technobabble suspension of disbelief they allow and this one was right on the line for me but maybe because I liked the episode it didn't cross it. It could have been done better though, maybe if fit was Todd (or better yet him and some wraith mad scientist subordinate) who did the procedure and Keller was the adviser, rather than the reverse. I could buy wraith tech being responsible more than whatever Keller must have been using.

Plus I tend to enjoy it when people outside the usual main cast get the "save the day credit" so I thought it was pretty cool Todd made the save in the end.
            I think you just hit the nail on the head here. The surgery concept definitely would've worked better for me if we'd seen actual Wraith tech being used to accomplish Teyla's transformation.

Hey, win-win!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
              This concept is so foreign to me I can't even understand how it works. Is it like a strike of government employees?
              Good grief. No. The Congress failed to agree on a budget for fiscal 2014, which starts Oct 1, so there is no money to pay government workers. Along with them of course, go independent contractors, like Mr. SR, who work for the government. Does that make perfect sense? No, not to us either. What it boils down to is that Congress did not do its job.

As for Mr. SR, we're hoping it stays shut down the rest of the week because he can then start his new job early, which is actually his old job at The World Bank. Such is the life of a consultant.
              sigpic

Comment

Good grief. No. The Congress failed to agree on a budget for fiscal 2014, which starts Oct 1, so there is no money to pay government workers. Along with them of course, go independent contractors, like Mr. SR, who work for the government. Does that make perfect sense? No, not to us either. What it boils down to is that Congress did not do its job.

As for Mr. SR, we're hoping it stays shut down the rest of the week because he can then start his new job early, which is actually his old job at The World Bank. Such is the life of a consultant.
                And the cherry on top of it all is that the Congress members who didn't do their job still get their paychecks.

Comment

Well, speaking from previous experience with this, government employees (don't know about contractors) will be paid eventually when the funding is restored. Even if they stayed home!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                    And the cherry on top of it all is that the Congress members who didn't do their job still get their paychecks.
                    Bingo.

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                    Well, speaking from previous experience with this, government employees (don't know about contractors) will be paid eventually when the funding is restored. Even if they stayed home!
                    Only if Congress votes for it, but they probably will. However, Mr. SR has already been told that the consultants with his company will not be paid. They estimate 2 million people in this area are involved, with only 800K being actual government employees. Oh, and they are up there putting up barricades so people can't get into the monuments like the Lincoln and the WWII that are open air. Now the mystery is who is paying the barricade brigade. And without mentioning any parties or getting political, I will report that at least one senator has announced he will not accept a paycheck for the days they are shut down. Why don't all of them plus the executive branch do this?
                    sigpic

Comment

If you wanted to see the first part of the panel, here it is:
                      Spoiler:

I haven't watched it yet.
                      Thanks for posting both parts, Lythisrose. I swear every time I hear a clip from Joe, I like him more and more.

Only if Congress votes for it, but they probably will. However, Mr. SR has already been told that the consultants with his company will not be paid. They estimate 2 million people in this area are involved, with only 800K being actual government employees. Oh, and they are up there putting up barricades so people can't get into the monuments like the Lincoln and the WWII that are open air. Now the mystery is who is paying the barricade brigade. And without mentioning any parties or getting political, I will report that at least one senator has announced he will not accept a paycheck for the days they are shut down. Why don't all of them plus the executive branch do this?
                      They know they only have so much time to bleed the tax payers dry before they have to move on to being a talking head for one of the news channels?
                      Last edited by mandogater; 01 October 2013, 11:18 AM.
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

[QUOTE=mandogater;13974462]

Thanks for posting both parts, Lythisrose. I swear every time I hear a clip from Joe, I like him more and more.

They know they only have so much time to bleed the tax payers dry before they have to move on to being a talking head for one of the news channels?
                        Oh yeah, I forgot about that last part.
                        sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Southern Red;13974464]
                          Originally posted by mandogater View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot about that last part.
                          Some days I think that's their only retirement plan.
                          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Oh, and they are up there putting up barricades so people can't get into the monuments like the Lincoln and the WWII that are open air. Now the mystery is who is paying the barricade brigade.
                            Which lasted until a group of WWII veterans who were in DC to visit the WWII Memorial swept past the barricade and went in anyway. Fight on, gentlemen. Fight on.

And without mentioning any parties or getting political, I will report that at least one senator has announced he will not accept a paycheck for the days they are shut down. Why don't all of them plus the executive branch do this?
                            Some days I think that's their only retirement plan.
                            That, and a tell-all book deal.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

OT re the shutdown,
                              Spoiler:
                              just got back from the store where the Starbucks baristas were talking amongst themselves and I heard them saying how happy they'd be if, because of the shutdown, people wouldn't be using their food stamps to buy expensive fancy coffee drinks.
                              sigpic

Comment

OT re the shutdown,
                                Spoiler:
                                just got back from the store where the Starbucks baristas were talking amongst themselves and I heard them saying how happy they'd be if, because of the shutdown, people wouldn't be using their food stamps to buy expensive fancy coffee drinks.
                                OMG. Why am I not surprised that people are using it for something other than what it's intended for? *headdesk*

Comment

Working...
                                X