No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The season 3 DVD commentaries are very disappointing to say the least.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
      Another thing that tells of how bad things were was the fact that there were no actors commentaries on the season 3 DVD (I don’t know how many there were for season 4-5) considering how many character oriented episode there was, that’s why I prefer the commentaries for the first two seasons, especially those that some if not only the cast members did.

You’re welcome and it’s always great to go back to see them, especially the once from season 1-3 when everything was still “great” (well, season 4-5 were great too but you know what I mean).

Yeah, the sad part was that they got read of her for a pretty equally ridiculous reason, same with Paul.
      There was a lot said about that on both sides, more from JM's blog, but I think at least some of the actors just didn't want to do them anymore. However, it was never made clear how hard they tried to get them to do it.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I think S4-5, especially S5, were worse. Remember all the talk we did on the anti threads about them and how I sacrificed myself so I could transcribe whole parts of them, like that part where a certain producer was so happy when Kolya was beating the crap out of Sheppard, or the comment by MG that nobody was going to believe that John Sheppard was Mensa when they had Rodney and Daniel making fun of him? I still haven't recovered. *shudders*
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I vaguely remember those yes, however I don't personally own the last two seasons on DVD. And I also remember that people warned me not to listen to the Doppelganger one unless I wanted to risk putting a bounty on TPTW's heads.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
          Because they didn't consider that, or any scene with them, to be flirty. Think about it. Gero came out, all shocked that we broke the interwebz got all excited over the hug and felt he had to say "Sometimes a hug is just a hug". It was only in hindsight, like in the comments on the commentary for Coup d'Etat, that they saw the flirtiness. And remember that was S2. Then they STILL went on to say they would never ship them and wrote them in a non-shippy way.

But I've always said, considering how they wrote McKeller and Teyla/Kanaan, we're better off.
          Really makes me wonder about TPTW.

You are right, SR!! The way they wrote relathionships on the show, it's probably for the best they kept declearing to all who would listen John and Elizabeth were not together and never were going to be.
          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

There was a lot said about that on both sides, more from JM's blog, but I think at least some of the actors just didn't want to do them anymore. However, it was never made clear how hard they tried to get them to do it.
            Wasn't there also something about how the studio would have to pay the actors extra to come back and do the commentaries, and the studio didn't want to spend the money? I could be wrong about that, but given what we know now about MGM's financial situation at the end... *shrugs*

I think S4-5, especially S5, were worse. Remember all the talk we did on the anti threads about them and how I sacrificed myself so I could transcribe whole parts of them, like that part where a certain producer was so happy when Kolya was beating the crap out of Sheppard, or the comment by MG that nobody was going to believe that John Sheppard was Mensa when they had Rodney and Daniel making fun of him? I still haven't recovered. *shudders*
            *shudders along with SR*
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
              What? Didn't you know? John Sheppard is a womanizer.

*goes and washes mouth out with soap*

Reminds me of one of the best lines I've ever heard. From "Eureka": "Does your ego even fit in the building?!"
              I always saw most of the scenes where they tried to portray John as a womanizer going more along the lines of:
              Hi, ma'am.
              *alien woman of the week throws herself at John.*

I am stealing that line for a fic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                Wasn't there also something about how the studio would have to pay the actors extra to come back and do the commentaries, and the studio didn't want to spend the money? I could be wrong about that, but given what we know now about MGM's financial situation at the end... *shrugs*

*shudders along with SR*
                I wouldn't doubt it. Let's face it, everything was pretty messed up by the end of S5.
                sigpic

Comment

It's pretty common knowledge that the vast majority of them never watched the completed shows. On all the commentaries you hear the actors admit it, and I would be willing to bet TPTB didn't either. A lot of the shippy stuff came from editing, I think.
                  You'd think TPTW would actually watch the final edits to make sure the episodes came off the way they wanted them to. Also, wouldn't that be the best way to see what was working and what wasn't? Especially if you weren't there every single day.

Comment

I’m sure they were down on their bare knees begging them to do it *snort*

I don’t own season 5 on DVD, it’s to expensive but I am recording it right now as they are re-showing season 5 here right now, but then there won’t be any way to listen to the commentaries, but from what you are saying I’m better of not listening to them anyway. I recently did get the season 4 DVDs, mostly because I wanted all the episodes with Elizabeth in them but season 5 is too expensive for the parts that I did enjoy from it.

I wouldn't doubt it. Let's face it, everything was pretty messed up by the end of S5.
                    You can say that again, and you know, the sad part is they had some interesting story plots and a whole bunch a great characters played by great actors but you know what, I know it was a big surprise for the cast and crew when the show got cancelled but when you look back it feels a bit obvious, they just gave up towards the end.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                    You'd think TPTW would actually watch the final edits to make sure the episodes came off the way they wanted them to. Also, wouldn't that be the best way to see what was working and what wasn't? Especially if you weren't there every single day.
                    Since every writer they had basically had different ideas of things I don’t know how much good it would do, and who knows, it might have been a conscious choice by some to not look to closely on what anyone else wrote since that would mean that they might not have been able to write down the first thing that popped into their heads and then we wouldn’t have to watch great episodes like ‘Harmony’ and ‘Trio’.
                    sigpic

Comment

I always saw most of the scenes where they tried to portray John as a womanizer going more along the lines of:
                      Hi, ma'am.
                      *alien woman of the week throws herself at John.*

I am stealing that line for a fic.
                      LOL!

Yeah, one would think. But then, TPTW seem to have a track record for not thinking things through logically.

I don’t own season 5 on DVD, it’s to expensive but I am recording it right now as they are re-showing season 5 here right now, but then there won’t be any way to listen to the commentaries, but from what you are saying I’m better of not listening to them anyway. I recently did get the season 4 DVDs, mostly because I wanted all the episodes with Elizabeth in them but season 5 is too expensive for the parts that I did enjoy from it.
                      No worries, you're not really missing much. Except Vegas. And Remnants. Because who doesn't like watching Kolya whump Sheppard? And then there's always GitM as further proof that WEIR IS NOT DEAD, DAMNIT.

But yeah, other than that, not really so much in S5.

You can say that again, and you know, the sad part is they had some interesting story plots and a whole bunch a great characters played by great actors but you know what, I know it was a big surprise for the cast and crew when the show got cancelled but when you look back it feels a bit obvious, they just gave up towards the end.
                      You're right, it does look like that. Certainly, SGU was already in some level of pre-production at that point, and in retrospect, it seems pretty clear that Atlantis was getting left behind by TPTW. It's a shame, really. Both shows probably could have coexisted if all sides had been committed to it.

Since every writer they had basically had different ideas of things I don’t know how much good it would do, and who knows, it might have been a conscious choice by some to not look to closely on what anyone else wrote since that would mean that they might not have been able to write down the first thing that popped into their heads and then we wouldn’t have to watch great episodes like ‘Harmony’ and ‘Trio’.
                      *snerks*
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Yeah, one would think. But then, TPTW seem to have a track record for not thinking things through logically.
                        TPTW secret to success. Find something that works and do the exact opposite. *snerks*

Comment

Congrats on 119,000 posts everyone!!!

It's another Monday morning at Bridge Studios and the SGA writers are meeting.

Executive Producer: Okay, it's happened again. Last week's episode had a lot of deluded fans online talking about Sparky. Who keeps writing this stuff?

Writer #1: Not me. All I wrote was that they looked at each other.

EP: Well, evidently they looked a little too long. Why did they even need to do that?

W #1: It was a tense moment. The Wraith were coming. I thought they should acknowledge how screwed they were.

EP: Next time have them look out the window or at McKay, anywhere but each other. Now who keeps having him sit on her desk?

Writers look around and point fingers.

EP: Just stop it! Do I make myself clear?

Writer #2: *clears throat and mumbles* Joe and Torri are to blame.

EP: Excuse me, speak up, I didn't quite catch that.

W #2: I said it's the actors. They just have too much chemistry.

EP: Oh that, well I have repeatedly told Flanigan to tone it down. But you know how he is.

*mumbling all around*

Well, you get the idea. It might have gone just that way.

ROTFLMAO!!

I know right, and not only that but it was also a scene when he is looking at Elizabeth with another man.

http://i43.tinypic.com/fvjq82.jpg

Granted he was a replicator and turned out not a very good man but still, at the time they didn’t know that.
                          Oh yeah, when Niam's attempting to have eye!sex with Lizzie, John rolls his eyes behind her back. *giggles*

On the other hand, there are still enough people to watch along with the post-a-thon so that counts for something too, I guess...

And you guys seemed to have totally missed passing another milestone -> 119,000 posts celebrating the most awesome couple in the history of Stargate!

Spoiler:

Couldn't resist mate...

Spoiler:
                          Anyways, here you go... all fixed...
                          Spoiler:

*hears Kate's voice in the distance*

Uh oh...

Spoiler:

Here's to many more posts!
                          You're hilarious! It's so weird not to see the little lemming in either your sig or your icon.

Because they didn't consider that, or any scene with them, to be flirty. Think about it. Gero came out, all shocked that we broke the interwebz got all excited over the hug and felt he had to say "Sometimes a hug is just a hug". It was only in hindsight, like in the comments on the commentary for Coup d'Etat, that they saw the flirtiness. And remember that was S2. Then they STILL went on to say they would never ship them and wrote them in a non-shippy way.

But I've always said, considering how they wrote McKeller and Teyla/Kanaan, we're better off.
                          Very true. *shudder*

As for the non-shipping, I really think it was different for each of them. Gero was oblivious. Binder did it on purpose but never told the others, so they had no clue. Mallozzi didn't like Sparky but saw how it worked well, so he wrote it in anyway (defending my honor scene, anyone?).

Morning Scary Kitty!

True, and I know it’s not uncommon in showbiz but it was defiantly a lot more obvious when it comes to SG, it also sucks when ego and vanity etc. of a few hurt many others, not just the fans but also the cast and the rest of the crew because it’s so obvious when you see BTS stuff that they loved the show and really enjoyed working on it which is a big reason why fans wanted to watch it and when something gets in the way of that it affects everyone.

Speaking of something funnier yet in some way the same, I must say that I just love all of the behind the scenes videos and pics we got during the show, again it really does show that they all got along great and had a lot of fun working on the show. I also loved how we got to see parts of their first kind of script-reading meeting before they started filming:

http://i41.tinypic.com/293tt8o.jpg
                          http://i42.tinypic.com/29g0diw.jpg
                          (from ‘Profile on Paul McGillion’)
                          OMG Rainbow looks like such a teenager!!

Okay, that was interesting. I had seen the Paul McG special when I first got the S2 DVDs but had forgotten it. It was lovely. A couple of things stood out and made me *headdesk*.

Martin Gero says, "You can't manufacture chemistry." speaking about Paul and David. I guess he doesn't apply that to anyone else.

And MG also said, and I swear I am not making this up, that they will have "many more seasons to get to know Beckett". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he the one who KILLED HIM OFF? He said a lot of lovely things, all true, about Paul and yet he still wanted to kill him just to shake things up. So that's what someone's adulation and praise is worth in show business. I see.
                          Oh yeah, I remember that. *headdesk*

And of course the only episode of the entire season without any commentary at all is The Real World.

*snort* Trio and Brainstorm are the only 2 SGA episodes I absolutely REFUSE to ever watch again. Brainstorm was the only episode I couldn't even finish.

No worries, you're not really missing much. Except Vegas. And Remnants. Because who doesn't like watching Kolya whump Sheppard? And then there's always GitM as further proof that WEIR IS NOT DEAD, DAMNIT.

But yeah, other than that, not really so much in S5.
                          VEGAS!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm back.

Comment

VEGAS!VEGAS!VEGAS!

There, it had to be done.

Spoiler:
                            sigpic

Comment

VEGAS!VEGAS!VEGAS!

There, it had to be done.

Spoiler:
                              []http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/southernred/shep_vegas_high_res_face_1mg-1.jpg[/IMG]
                              Thank you!!

I figured I was gonna see the butt crack shot, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                                Thank you!!

I figured I was gonna see the butt crack shot, though.
                                Spoiler:

Um-hmm. That's what I'm talking about.

*cackles madly*

Comment

Working...
                                X