Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    So I'm waiting for iOS 7 to finish downloading on my iPhone 5 and my iPad Mini and my muse came back to life (temporarily, and very heavily inspired by recent events) and brought me this.

Enjoy!

Spoiler:
    Elizabeth Weir was sick and tired of being sick.

And tired.

Two days ago, she had woken up with a sore throat. A sane person would have taken care of herself, even gone to visit the resident doctor who seemed to be an expert in every disease that had or hadn’t been encountered.

And instead, she spent the entire day -- and night -- behind her desk, preparing her reports to send in the monthly data stream to the SGC.

So it wasn’t much of a surprise when she woke up the next morning with a full blown head cold.

Her father had once told her that her work ethic was going to be the end of her. At the time, she thought that it was said in reference to her fervent work with attempting to end the need for nuclear weapons. As she got older, it was becoming clearer to her that she would likely be found dead behind her desk.

But seeing as how her head currently felt like it was going to implode, she was beginning to doubt that as well.

Remembering that there were still some DayQuil pills in her bathroom drawer, she swallowed them with a half bottle of water and got dressed, trying to ignore the pounding that no amount of temple-rubbing would dissipate.

Many teams were departing that day, so she had been content to stay in her office and catch up on paperwork. But the one moment that she excused herself to blow her nose and cough violently, Carson had walked around the corner.

Perfect.

The good doctor had confined her to the infirmary bed and then to her room, forcing her to swear that she wouldn’t do any work, or try to download anything onto her palm device. She gave a moaned nod, Carson injected something in her arm (he had told her what it was, but by this point her ears had disconnected from her brain), then Elizabeth slumped back to her room and locked the door behind her.

Whatever Carson had given her seemed to help a little. She had woken up this morning and the light from the windows wasn’t causing her eyes to bleed. The sore throat and sinus pressure was gone, but the runny nose was here.

She groaned as she stretched her arms above her head, then glanced sideways.

A steaming cup of coffee, along with a bowl of what appeared to be chicken noodle soup, was sitting on her nightstand.

Elizabeth frowned, reaching for the small handwritten note pinned to the surface by the spoon.

Got back and heard you were sick. Thought this might make you feel better. Let me know if you need anything.

John

She allowed herself a small smile and reached for the coffee.

-----------

John closed the lid on his laptop and leaned back in his seat, clasping his hands behind his head.

His comm chirped and he reached up to answer it, sighing as he did so. “Sheppard, go ahead.”

“Thank you for the soup.”

He straightened up in his seat. “Hey,” he replied with a chuckle. “You feeling better?”

“A little bit.” Elizabeth coughed. “Nose is running like Niagara Falls, but otherwise, I feel more human than I have been.”

“Good to hear.”

The silence was uneasy for a second, until Elizabeth started speaking again. “Would you mind running an errand for me?”

“I’m not bringing your tablet down from your office.”

He heard a disgruntled muttered curse from the other end of the comm and he smirked. Sometimes, he knew her too well.

“But I will do room service and come remove the dirty dishes. And I hear that there’s chocolate jello in the cafeteria.”

“That would be wonderful.”

“Be there in ten minutes.”

-----------

Elizabeth’s door chimed and she threw back the covers on her bed. “Just a second.”

“Are you decent?” John yelled through the doors.

Elizabeth’s eyes widened in shock that her military commander would yell something like that -- especially in front of her quarters -- but considering the context, she understood why.

In a raspy voice, she shouted, “Yes!”

The doors opened and John walked in, holding a white bowl about five inches in diameter almost filled to the brim with chocolate pudding.

“You’re so wonderful, I take back everything I said in my last evaluation,” Elizabeth deadpanned as he handed it to her.

He laughed and grabbed her empty coffee cup and her mostly empty soup bowl. “Can I get you anything else, Miss Weir?” he asked, employing a bad Southern accent in an effort to make her laugh.

It succeeded. “John, promise me that you’ll never be a Southern belle drag queen. You wouldn’t last.”

John narrowed his eyes. “Please tell me that’s the drugs talking.”

Elizabeth chuckled. “Let’s go with that.”

John shook his head. “I’ll come back when I’m positive that you’re not doped up and going to insult my masculinity.”

“No promises,” she replied, snuggling down into the pillow with her bowl of pudding.

John smiled and turned to go, but paused and looked back to Elizabeth.

Her blue robe was wrapped around her lithe body loosely, her wavy hair was framing her face in a fashion similar to a peacock, and she was scooping the pudding into her mouth as if she hadn’t tasted chocolate in years.

She was adorable.

In a lower voice, he said, “You sure you don’t need anything else?”

Elizabeth paused with the pudding just long enough to gaze up at him and smile. “I’m really good. Thanks for everything.”

John nodded at her and left the room, silently wondering how long until Elizabeth would realize that she had a chocolate mustache.
    Cute fic, SW. I really liked it.

Yeah. I told her "resistance is futile".
    Love the Star Trek reference.
    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      Some friends and I played around with giving each other reds just to see what would happen. It was fun. The rep ranks for reds are still listed in ShadowMaat's thread
      On the negative side (Gateworld no longer allows the granting of negative rep), you have:

...has to retake the Academy entrance exam.
      ...has been reassigned to the basement of Area 51.
      ...has been suspended from active duty.
      ...has been dishonourably discharged
      But where's the "...has been banished to Siberia" option?

Comment

Ooh, theme weekend. Let's see what it is...

Comment

Ooh, theme weekend. Let's see what it is...
          It's Dexter I think. What is that show about?
          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
            It's Dexter I think. What is that show about?
            I've never watched it myself, because as I understand it, it's about a man who basically becomes a serial killer to get rid of all the bad people in the world. Not my cuppa.

But if I'm wrong, someone please correct me. Eek.

Comment

I think I'll pass on watching the show then!
              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Here's a preview of the story. Nothing Sparky yet, but it will be. It's primarily setting up characters and situations. But let's see what you feel.

Spoiler:
                Persuasion (early chapters)

Elizabeth had buried herself in packing her belongings and clearing out her room. The large bedroom that she had kept ever since her birth seemed more like a studio apartment, but when she found it necessary to escape the antics of her father and her sister, it was a welcome haven for her.

Her father had been foolish with the family's money ever since his wife had passed away. Even the loyal advice of Diana Russell, a constant family friend, did not have any influence on him, and Elizabeth watched as the balance in the bank accounts finally ran to a point that they were hopelessly bankrupt.

And her sister still had the nerve to insist that Elizabeth should've been more frugal.

Elizabeth scoffed to herself in frustration as she pulled the suitcases out from the closet. With Walter Weir having declared bankruptcy, they had no choice but to give up their house and find a smaller place to live. Elizabeth was completely content with the notion.

Her father and sister were not.

At dinner the night before, six people had sat around the table and eaten a meal that they hadn't been able to afford for months while Ann complained that the filet mignon wasn't tender enough. It had been a test of her patience, but thankfully Diana chuckled lightly and reminded Ann that nothing lasts forever.

Elizabeth remained silent, as she usually did during family meals, while Patrick Bryan sat next to her father and discussed terms for coming out of this situation in the best way possible. "If you rent out the house for an amount that will allow you to continue making the mortgage while living in a smaller place, you might be able to keep the house."

The town of Kellynch was quiet and peaceful. Everyone knew everybody, and nobody wanted to leave the town.

But it seemed the quiet opinion of most people that they wanted Walter and Ann gone.

Walter had grunted and swallowed his scotch. "Really? You would have other people live in our house while we're forced to a smaller dwelling and live in squander? You know me too well, Patrick, to know that I would never agree to something like that."

"With the amount that rents are going for nowadays, it wouldn't leave you destitute," said Penny Clay, Patrick's widowed daughter, who sat next to her father. "Especially as charming as your home is, you could get renters to pay a good deal on it."

Elizabeth tried her best to repress a sigh. Ever since Penny had lost her husband in a car accident and moved back to her father's house, she seemed set on getting Walter to notice her. Every statement she made was either a direct compliment to him, which he always took with excessive pride, or an indirect praise on something that belonged to him, which only made his head swell.

So Walter tilted his head to the side and brought up another subject: where to go.

Elizabeth wanted to speak up, voice her opinion for staying in the little town. But Ann wouldn't hear of it.

"If we can't stay in our house, what's the point of staying in Kellynch?" she asked with disdain as she swirled her wine glass. "Let's find someplace in the city. It's so exciting! So much to do, so many people to see."

"All things that require an extraordinary amount of money. Of which you currently are lacking." Diana went back to eating her salad, and Elizabeth marveled at her for a moment. Even though she had just delivered a biting reminder of their sad financial state, her voice carried across the room like honey. Nobody huffed and puffed in shock, or tried to call her down.

Rather, everybody nodded lightly and continued the discussion.

"A cottage in the Hamptons might be more appropriate. At this time of year, you would probably be able to get a good deal on one."

Ann's eyes lit up in something akin to genuine excitement. "Oh, that would be perfect!"

It still costs money, Elizabeth grumbled to herself while she forced herself to swallow her food. Even if we get a renter to pay top dollar for the house, it doesn't mean we'll be living in luxury.

"And Penny, you absolutely must come and stay with us!"

Oh great. Another mouth to feed.

"What about Elizabeth?"

Her ears perked up when she heard Patrick say her name. Thinking and hoping that her opinion might actually be heard, she opened her mouth to reply.

Unfortunately, Ann was too fast.

As usual.

"Oh, Lizzie won't be coming with us."

Well, that was a newsflash.

"I just had a call from Mary this morning. She's sick again and asked if Elizabeth would come and stay with her for a few weeks."

Oh God.

"And nobody would want Elizabeth in the Hamptons anyway. She doesn't know anyone there."

Diana cleared her throat. "I will be there in a few weeks. Perhaps Elizabeth could join me then."

Judging from the silence around the table, no one seemed to care.

Elizabeth didn't expect any different.

So after dinner, she found herself in her room, packing long-term items in one set of bags and short-term in another. She had called Mary's husband, Charlie, who was a much friendlier, down to earth person than his wife. Elizabeth still wondered how they had ever gotten together.

It might have had something to do with the fact that Charlie went after Elizabeth first, but when she displayed no interest, he turned his attention to Mary, who did reciprocate.

He probably had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Mary was a hypochondriac. And that was putting it mildly. She once had persuaded her father to take her to the hospital for a hangnail, insistent that she might catch some infection through it.

So when Ann had said that Mary was sick, that probably translated to "I coughed this morning".

Elizabeth was not at all excited by the prospect. But the rest of the family looked forward to her visit.

Charlie and Mary had settled in the next town over, about fifteen minutes away, a serene place called Uppercross. His parents owned a large house and tract of land, part of which they had given to the newlyweds as a present to start their life together. Mary was not fond of living so close to the Musgroves, especially when Charlie's two younger sisters were always running around and "bragging about their accomplishments".

Which they had every right to. They had done an amazing job of excelling in school and getting accepted to five different universities before they finally both decided to go to Columbia. It was closer to home but gave them the chance to explore city life.

Their mother bragged more than they did. Lorena Musgrove was always beaming with pride about Henrietta and Louisa.

What was she thinking when she named them that? Elizabeth remarked silently with a smile.

Henrietta was a tomboy and opted to go by Harri. Louisa was definitely the lady, but preferred Isa to her given name. Even though an age gap of ten years separated them from Elizabeth, when she had texted them to tell them of her impending arrival in Uppercross, the response was a mixture of smiley face emoticons and gushing words of excitement about seeing their favorite brother's sister-in-law.

Elizabeth typed back that she was the only sister-in-law that Charlie had, then chuckled and deleted the message before she sent it.

Comment

Nice work so far, SW!

Comment

How is it that young people don't know about Google? *sigh*

Anyway....

Here's a preview of the story. Nothing Sparky yet, but it will be. It's primarily setting up characters and situations. But let's see what you feel.

Spoiler:
                    Persuasion (early chapters)

Elizabeth had buried herself in packing her belongings and clearing out her room. The large bedroom that she had kept ever since her birth seemed more like a studio apartment, but when she found it necessary to escape the antics of her father and her sister, it was a welcome haven for her.

Her father had been foolish with the family's money ever since his wife had passed away. Even the loyal advice of Diana Russell, a constant family friend, did not have any influence on him, and Elizabeth watched as the balance in the bank accounts finally ran to a point that they were hopelessly bankrupt.

And her sister still had the nerve to insist that Elizabeth should've been more frugal.

Elizabeth scoffed to herself in frustration as she pulled the suitcases out from the closet. With Walter Weir having declared bankruptcy, they had no choice but to give up their house and find a smaller place to live. Elizabeth was completely content with the notion.

Her father and sister were not.

At dinner the night before, six people had sat around the table and eaten a meal that they hadn't been able to afford for months while Ann complained that the filet mignon wasn't tender enough. It had been a test of her patience, but thankfully Diana chuckled lightly and reminded Ann that nothing lasts forever.

Elizabeth remained silent, as she usually did during family meals, while Patrick Bryan sat next to her father and discussed terms for coming out of this situation in the best way possible. "If you rent out the house for an amount that will allow you to continue making the mortgage while living in a smaller place, you might be able to keep the house."

The town of Kellynch was quiet and peaceful. Everyone knew everybody, and nobody wanted to leave the town.

But it seemed the quiet opinion of most people that they wanted Walter and Ann gone.

Walter had grunted and swallowed his scotch. "Really? You would have other people live in our house while we're forced to a smaller dwelling and live in squander? You know me too well, Patrick, to know that I would never agree to something like that."

"With the amount that rents are going for nowadays, it wouldn't leave you destitute," said Penny Clay, Patrick's widowed daughter, who sat next to her father. "Especially as charming as your home is, you could get renters to pay a good deal on it."

Elizabeth tried her best to repress a sigh. Ever since Penny had lost her husband in a car accident and moved back to her father's house, she seemed set on getting Walter to notice her. Every statement she made was either a direct compliment to him, which he always took with excessive pride, or an indirect praise on something that belonged to him, which only made his head swell.

So Walter tilted his head to the side and brought up another subject: where to go.

Elizabeth wanted to speak up, voice her opinion for staying in the little town. But Ann wouldn't hear of it.

"If we can't stay in our house, what's the point of staying in Kellynch?" she asked with disdain as she swirled her wine glass. "Let's find someplace in the city. It's so exciting! So much to do, so many people to see."

"All things that require an extraordinary amount of money. Of which you currently are lacking." Diana went back to eating her salad, and Elizabeth marveled at her for a moment. Even though she had just delivered a biting reminder of their sad financial state, her voice carried across the room like honey. Nobody huffed and puffed in shock, or tried to call her down.

Rather, everybody nodded lightly and continued the discussion.

"A cottage in the Hamptons might be more appropriate. At this time of year, you would probably be able to get a good deal on one."

Ann's eyes lit up in something akin to genuine excitement. "Oh, that would be perfect!"

It still costs money, Elizabeth grumbled to herself while she forced herself to swallow her food. Even if we get a renter to pay top dollar for the house, it doesn't mean we'll be living in luxury.

"And Penny, you absolutely must come and stay with us!"

Oh great. Another mouth to feed.

"What about Elizabeth?"

Her ears perked up when she heard Patrick say her name. Thinking and hoping that her opinion might actually be heard, she opened her mouth to reply.

Unfortunately, Ann was too fast.

As usual.

"Oh, Lizzie won't be coming with us."

Well, that was a newsflash.

"I just had a call from Mary this morning. She's sick again and asked if Elizabeth would come and stay with her for a few weeks."

Oh God.

"And nobody would want Elizabeth in the Hamptons anyway. She doesn't know anyone there."

Diana cleared her throat. "I will be there in a few weeks. Perhaps Elizabeth could join me then."

Judging from the silence around the table, no one seemed to care.

Elizabeth didn't expect any different.

So after dinner, she found herself in her room, packing long-term items in one set of bags and short-term in another. She had called Mary's husband, Charlie, who was a much friendlier, down to earth person than his wife. Elizabeth still wondered how they had ever gotten together.

It might have had something to do with the fact that Charlie went after Elizabeth first, but when she displayed no interest, he turned his attention to Mary, who did reciprocate.

He probably had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Mary was a hypochondriac. And that was putting it mildly. She once had persuaded her father to take her to the hospital for a hangnail, insistent that she might catch some infection through it.

So when Ann had said that Mary was sick, that probably translated to "I coughed this morning".

Elizabeth was not at all excited by the prospect. But the rest of the family looked forward to her visit.

Charlie and Mary had settled in the next town over, about fifteen minutes away, a serene place called Uppercross. His parents owned a large house and tract of land, part of which they had given to the newlyweds as a present to start their life together. Mary was not fond of living so close to the Musgroves, especially when Charlie's two younger sisters were always running around and "bragging about their accomplishments".

Which they had every right to. They had done an amazing job of excelling in school and getting accepted to five different universities before they finally both decided to go to Columbia. It was closer to home but gave them the chance to explore city life.

Their mother bragged more than they did. Lorena Musgrove was always beaming with pride about Henrietta and Louisa.

What was she thinking when she named them that? Elizabeth remarked silently with a smile.

Henrietta was a tomboy and opted to go by Harri. Louisa was definitely the lady, but preferred Isa to her given name. Even though an age gap of ten years separated them from Elizabeth, when she had texted them to tell them of her impending arrival in Uppercross, the response was a mixture of smiley face emoticons and gushing words of excitement about seeing their favorite brother's sister-in-law.

Elizabeth typed back that she was the only sister-in-law that Charlie had, then chuckled and deleted the message before she sent it.
                    YAY!!! Awesome!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

ShipperWriter, that new snippet looks great! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      And are completely incapable of doing anything for themselves? *sighs as well*
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                        Nice work so far, SW!

Anyway....

YAY!!! Awesome!
                        Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

ShipperWriter, that new snippet looks great! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
                        Thanks, everybody! My creativity is finally returning... a little.

And are completely incapable of doing anything for themselves? *sighs as well*
                        Preach it, sistas. Working in a high school only lowers any hope I might have for these kids.

Comment

I'm glad your Sparky creativity is returning. I like your stories!

Comment

I've never watched it myself, because as I understand it, it's about a man who basically becomes a serial killer to get rid of all the bad people in the world. Not my cuppa.

But if I'm wrong, someone please correct me. Eek.
                            Not wrong. We watched it for a couple of seasons but quit. Mr. SR liked it more than I did. It's well written but one of those where the characters are so unlikeable you just want them to die in a fire.

Oh, and awesome story so far.

Anyway....

YAY!!! Awesome!
                            Isn't Google that thing on the interwebz where you can get answers to questions? I use it when I don't want to sound uninformed in front of all you young'uns. Though, I will always regret Googling "twerking."
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Pretty Friday eh?.... Oh, okay

sigpic
                              Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

How do you make all this nice stuff Madness reigns?

Comment

Working...
                                X