Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major_Moomin
    And make sure my slice has the least amount of mints on it... *cough*

The frosting is a tad chalky, but other than that, its fine.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam
      I kinda like how Misbegotten had the S/W scenes that didn't actually contribute to the plot. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a scene just because it emphasizes a relationship. In fact, it's something I think the Stargate franchise should do more of. I would love for them to string together a series of scenes like that. And not just S/W. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they just devoted an episode or two like that. Although I'd hope they keep the emphasis on our couple. In 10 years of Stargate, I think they have the most naturally conducive "ship" potential.

And just because I'm pathetic enough to do so, I'd like to plug a couple short fics of mine if I may. A post "Misbegotten" fic and another that takes place the day before "Rising". Both are S/W. Read if you want. But be kind. It's been a while since I've done any sort of fic. Not since my C/A days watching Angel.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3062253/1/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3062257/1/
      I couldn't agree more! I like that the scene was not necessary to the plot, but it made the cut any way. I hope the PTB see this working and use it on both shows. There is room for romance and action. The best action/scifi movies have it all. Romance is such a nice way to develop a character, and when there is a natural chemisty, like with Weir and Shepperd, the show really benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by HelenT
        That is just fabulous. I snagged it for Lj (and will credit your LJ name) if that's okay?
        Thanks That's definitely fine by me . That's what icons are for, afterall.

Thanks Ruined_puzzle for posting the link to the con vid , I'm gonna take a look at it as soon as my comp decides to cooperate ...

Also, Happy Birthday Moo!

Edit: Hey cool, I've got my second jello now . Thanks
        Last edited by GateByte; 24 July 2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Lizzie: OMG, there has to be at least 500 people in that hallway - and they have cameras!

John: They're on to us. We'll have to find a more secluded closet.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I kinda like how Misbegotten had the S/W scenes that didn't actually contribute to the plot. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a scene just because it emphasizes a relationship. In fact, it's something I think the Stargate franchise should do more of. I would love for them to string together a series of scenes like that. And not just S/W. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they just devoted an episode or two like that. Although I'd hope they keep the emphasis on our couple. In 10 years of Stargate, I think they have the most naturally conducive "ship" potential.

And just because I'm pathetic enough to do so, I'd like to plug a couple short fics of mine if I may. A post "Misbegotten" fic and another that takes place the day before "Rising". Both are S/W. Read if you want. But be kind. It's been a while since I've done any sort of fic. Not since my C/A days watching Angel.

I 100% agree. I think more seemingly frivolous relationship scenes would prevent both SG-1 and Atlantis from becoming too formulaic--not to mention a great opportunity for the actors to try something new. That "Misbegotten" scene is the perfect example. Speaking of which, I'm surprised how many people in the episode thread are calling it a blatantly shippy scene. More proof that we're not crazy

Did anyone catch who directed that episode? I couldn't find it listed on the episode page.

Thanks,
            Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure

Lizzie: OMG, there has to be at least 500 people in that hallway - and they have cameras!

John: They're on to us. We'll have to find a more secluded closet.

Elizabeth: Bloody paparazzi!

John: Just give the order, Elizabeth. I'll have them taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
                I 100% agree. I think more seemingly frivolous relationship scenes would prevent both SG-1 and Atlantis from becoming too formulaic--not to mention a great opportunity for the actors to try something new. That "Misbegotten" scene is the perfect example. Speaking of which, I'm surprised how many people in the episode thread are calling it a blatantly shippy scene. More proof that we're not crazy

Did anyone catch who directed that episode? I couldn't find it listed on the episode page.

Thanks,
                Royal
                Independent confirmation! Always a plus.

Misbegotten was directed by Martin Wood, who, notably, also directed Rising, The Storm, The Eye, The Siege (all billion and one parts), and Coup d'État.
                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                Last update: 14 April 2006
                Melyanna's Multimedia
                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                  Independent confirmation! Always a plus.

Misbegotten was directed by Martin Wood, who, notably, also directed Rising, The Storm, The Eye, The Siege (all billion and one parts), and Coup d'État.
                  Thanks for the info, based on that Sparky track record I think we can safely assume that Martin Wood is good.

Have to finish cooking the stir fry (RL is always interfering --later all,
                  Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Hi Liam

You know I think they do write those scenes and whats more they do film them quite often but I've seen on more than one occasion in interviews, actors or TPTB reference the fact that they've had to cut them due to time constraints. However much they might be exactly what we would crave in terms of character development and interaction, they dont normally move the story on, so are always going to be susceptible to being cut if they are over time. I guess for me thats what makes the scenes in misbegotten so compelling and interesting in the wider context.
                    Spoiler:
                    Its already been discussed at length here but the "defending my honour" scene really doesnt in my mind move the story on. I agree with those that have said that this seems to have been placed only in to highlight the relationship between the two of them. In my mind, the only possible plot development angle to that was to establish that Woolsey may not have been quite the bad guy. But if so, it didnt have to be John who was shown as interviewed nor him discussing this with Elizabeth and being so riled up. Could just have easily been Teyla given the fact she was in charge over that crucial time. That would have served just as well and in fact would have been an opportunity for the writers to futher establish the Elizabeth / Teyla angle. Could have been Rodney which would have allowed for some interesting interaction and snarking? So the fact that its John, they little hesitation moment and the tone of the comments and body language from Elizabeth are I think quite important.
                    I also sense that there were plenty of other scenes /areas that may well have fallen to the cut. They seem to gloss over Teylas initial flying of the wraith ship with just a comment in the briefing room about the impact on her and the end seemed to be wrapped up very quickly. So I cant help but feel that the office scene and the amount of time devoted to the briefing room stares has some significance and was just a little subtle inference by TPTB to where they may end up going. Now that I see it was directed by Martin Wood it makes even more sense. I think he has a fantastic ability to tune into subtleties and is so smart at catching and playing up to the character undertones, whether they were initially scripted or not. He could direct every episode as far as I am concerned. Just my view, but feel free to disagree.

And on the subject of the cut scenes, wouldnt you just love to get hold of some of those sometime!!! Bet there are some interesting bits.

Oh and thanks for the Fic recs!

Comment

Thanks for the info, based on that Sparky track record I think we can safely assume that Martin Wood is good.

Have to finish cooking the stir fry (RL is always interfering --later all,
                      Royal
                      Heheheh, I think it was Martin Wood who said of directing that "when you have a big two-parter like this, there's a rule that says you have to have something blow up every 4.5 minutes. But maybe that's just my rule."

His episodes do tend to have a nice balance to them, with great personal moments for the characters. He also directed a number of SG-1 episodes that had some of the most touching Sam/Jack moments, such as Solitudes, Into the Fire, Divide and Conquer, and Lost City. So... yeah, he can do ship, even if I'm not overly fond of Sam/Jack anymore.
                      Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                        Heheheh, I think it was Martin Wood who said of directing that "when you have a big two-parter like this, there's a rule that says you have to have something blow up every 4.5 minutes. But maybe that's just my rule."

His episodes do tend to have a nice balance to them, with great personal moments for the characters. He also directed a number of SG-1 episodes that had some of the most touching Sam/Jack moments, such as Solitudes, Into the Fire, Divide and Conquer, and Lost City. So... yeah, he can do ship, even if I'm not overly fond of Sam/Jack anymore.
                        I've been watching SG-1 on DVD from S1 and Martin Wood's episodes are nicely done. If I really like (or dislike) an episode I'll check who directed it and many of my favees so far are Wood's. He has real talent for making normal events,, such as the gate dialing sequence, take on interest and vitality. You're right about the S/J angle, Wood has a talent for heigtening the emotional strength. "Solitudes" is one of my faves. It was so poweful it changed my opinion of the Sam/Jack ship. It had quality writing and acting, but the way he framed some of those shots and no doubt directed teh actors makes it one of the more compelling episodes of SG-1. Hopefully he's directing TRW--maybe we can get some similar angst filled scenes.

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

I've been watching SG-1 on DVD from S1 and Martin Wood's episodes are nicely done. If I really like (or dislike) an episode I'll check who directed it and many of my favees so far are Wood's.
                          I agree. Martin Wood is my favorite director on Stargate. Watching some of the behind the scenes with him and listening to his commentaries has actually turned me into a directing geek. Now I'll be watching the show and I'll randomly call out, "Did you see that one-er? It was so complicated! That's AMAZING!". Needless to say, my mom thinks I'm nuts.
                          But Martin does seem to be quite the Sam/Jack and Sparky shipper in how he sees a scene playing out. Which makes him even more my favorite. I think Peter DeLuis is quite the Sam/Jack shipper himself, but I have to go back and see what SGA episodes he's directed to see his Sparky track record.
                          sigpic

Comment

Note to Liam. Your fics were fabulous. You seem to capture John's voice perfectly. I just got even more giddy. *okay, must go lie down*
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

On the Office scene:

Spoiler:
                              Not only is John riled up about Woolsey's questions and indignant on Elizabeth's behalf. I get the impresson that this may be the first time in his career that he's been this closely involved with the political side of things. He wasn't at the SGC when Weir was appointed, and he wasn't in the meetings she had with Landry & Caldwell last year. It's dawninig on him that being a command officer on a high profile assignment has broader implications. The scene did start with him asking how much political trouble he'd cause her if he hit Woolsey.
                              DDC

Comment

Hopefully he's directing TRW--maybe we can get some similar angst filled scenes.
                                Alas, The Real World was directed by Paul Ziller, a newcomer to the series. I haven't seen any of his work, so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm hoping that since it's a vastly different episode than normal, this'll be a good thing.

Besides, Carl Binder wrote it. Hopefully they won't be able to screw that up, right?
                                Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Working...
                                X