This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrJenniferDex View Post
    I'm able to view inconsistencies as the writers being unable to make up their minds about what they want to do, I don't blame characters for it. and yes, I would be defending Beckett, I find it irrational for someone to judge any character based on one previous instance, when no one knows what went on afterwards. She could have asked someone to teach her how to use a gun, and Woolsey could have gone to a firing range on Earth as well.
    I call it bad writing. It certainly doesn't help endear a character to me.

I'm judging Keller on more than one instance. I've yet to see anything that makes me think she's the kind of person to stand up and take control in stressful situations. I certainly don't expect her to do so with a gun. She has a hard enough time in the infirmary.

Lots of things could be happening off screen--anything you want to imagine until we're shown or told differently. IMO it's not the best writing to conveniently present things that have supposedly been happening all along just when it suits. I'd rather have some forewarning before I learn, for instance, that Chuck is also a clone after an unfortunate incident last season, or that Katie Brown left Atlantis to pursue a career in politics and is now head of the IOA.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    True, thank **** they haven't done that with Keller like they did with Weir.
    I think they've done it with many characters. I find it most noticable with Keller. That's probably to be expected when you cast an actress before making up your mind how she'll fit into the show.

In your opinion.
    Yes it is. Good for you for picking up on that.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
      A gun isn't some WMD that takes degree of physics to handle. You learn to shoot in a single day and from that point it's only a matter of polishing your marksman's skills. Wraith is a big target and in a close quarter fight it doesn't take unnatural aiming skills to hit one.

There's nothing illogical about Keller, McKay etc wielding a gun.
      Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
      Two points...

A) Why does every little detail have to forced into some episode or another? what ever happened to fans enjoying using their brains to work things out?

B) After Five years in a blatantly hostile galaxy you think all Atlantis personnel would not get weapons training? And that's not including the experiences of SG-1
      Learning to shoot is not the problem. I dare say that everyone on this forum knows how to shoot a gun. One points and pulls the trigger... Learning to shoot responsibly, safely, and what you want to hit are entirely different. Shooting a fully automatic weapon is an entirely different animal than shooting a semi-automatic low caliber pistol.

The problem with Wraith being big targets in close quarters combat is that your allies will be much bigger targets because they'll be standing much closer. As I stated earlier, there is a BIG risk of inexperienced shooters losing control of fully automatic weapons and hitting a friendly target. You should not dismiss it so easily. Again, I don't care if Keller, Woolsey, McKay, or even little TJ wields a 9 mil. Seeing Keller and Woolsey wielding fully automatic assault rifles and sub machine guns does give me pause, especially after their reactions to life threatening situations in the episodes "Return Part II" and "Missing." I don't care how long ago those episodes were, I have seen no evidence since then that their demeanor in hard contact situations has changed. Even police officers are very careful about taking weapons from officers that demonstrate poor judgment with a firearm. Not saying that either Keller or Woolsey showed poor firearm judgment, just bad combat demeanor...

Technically, from what I know of how the military equips civilians in combat situations, Daniel, Vala, Rodney, Keller, and Woolsey should all have 9 mils. If you really want to be a stickler, Teyla, Ronan, and even Teal'c should all have 9 mils too. Ronan uses his own weapon, which is fine, but Teyla and Teal'c in the later days would not be equiped with P90s. However, I guess you could count those three as guerrilla fighters that the US government is arming and training to fight a common enemy. However, that argument does not work for McKay, Keller, Woolsey, or Jackson.

I have never heard of a situation in which the military equipped the civilians in their care with fully automatic weapons. Yes, I know that 9 mils are not that effective against Wraith, but the civilians are not there to kill Wraith. McKay and Jackson are there to bring scientific and archaeological expertise to the field. Keller is there for medical reasons. Woolsey... Well... I'm not exactly sure why Woolsey is there, but I'm sure I'll understand when the episode airs. The point is, the military personnel will deal with military maters, or at least, that's the military's way of thinking, and it's quite rigid and not up for debate. The civilians get a 9 mil purely as a last line of defense.

As for using my brain, I think I'm well aware that TPTB realize that its a TV show and won't be taken so seriously. I, for one, recognized early on that this scene is there for its humor and hotness value. I merely sought to point out an inconsistency with a TV show. Forgive my audacity.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSeven View Post

that's just pure sexy...

as much help as the p90 does to her hotness, which is plus 10 on the hot-o-meter, it will do nothing for her whiney voice. after all, she's still keller
        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSeven View Post

that's just pure sexy...

can anyone else imagine what ronans thinking about as he's staring at keller holding a wepon........
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I think from the looks of Melana, Ronon's closest thing to a wife, he looks for more than just hotness in a woman. Thank the goddesses for that.
            Did you watch Quarantine?

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
              can anyone else imagine what ronans thinking about as he's staring at keller holding a wepon........
              Ronon thinks

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Except there's a small difference between a simple handgun and a P-90. It's bigger and it fires more bullets. It's a little heavier, though not by much. It requires both hands (unless your name is Teal'c).
                Spoiler:

If Becket can use a machine gun, Keller can.

Comment

So, it's inconsistent to assume someone could have learned how to handle a gun since then?

And no, everyone on this forum doesn't know how to handle a gun. As I said on the last page(if you have the settings on '100 posts per page', anyway), I can't tell one gun from another, so don't hand me one.

And can we refrain from talking about the supposed 'whiney voice'? Talking badly about the actors is not allowed, and Jennifer's voice is Jewel's voice.

Edit: Infinatus, whatever is under your spoiler tags isn't showing up, it just reads 'Show', and then 'Hide' when I click on it, but I'm unable to see anything.
                  sigpic

Comment

So, it's inconsistent to assume someone could have learned how to handle a gun since then?

And no, everyone on this forum doesn't know how to handle a gun. As I said on the last page(if you have the settings on '100 posts per page', anyway), I can't tell one gun from another, so don't hand me one.

And can we refrain from talking about the supposed 'whiney voice'? Talking badly about the actors is not allowed, and Jennifer's voice is Jewel's voice.
                    SHOOT! SHOOT! I said SHOOT a gun!!!!

Comment

Sorry, forcing myself to read these two long books by Sunday. Yay. Still, not everyone knows how to do that, though. Personally, I won't touch a gun, I'm terrified of them.

Go ahead, call me a coward.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, that's hot.

Too bad the excessive self-righteousness in this thread has totally ruined it.

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                        They usually take it to the appropriate thunk thread rather than start a new thread for each new "event". Maybe we could start a few new ones though: JF's hair; Ronon looks great running; Lorne looks great with a gun...
                        Hey, nobody's stopping you; and I'm pretty sure we won't intrude either, unlike in this case.

How many of you would be complaining if it was Beckett and not Jennifer?
                        Oh, but we've already seen Carson in this kind of situation: The Eye.

Where he was totally a wuss and didn't want to fly in the storm (but of course, he was being cautious), and then when they did get to Atlantis, he whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined...even though he was supposed to stay quiet. Oh, and then he got clocked by a girl because he won't stop talking.

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                        I really don't understand the big deal about the pic. JS in leather holding a prop (least correctly) on a set.
                        Yeah, but, you're a women. You wouldn't understand. /tongue-in-cheek

Comment

Sorry, forcing myself to read these two long books by Sunday. Yay. Still, not everyone knows how to do that, though. Personally, I won't touch a gun, I'm terrified of them.

Go ahead, call me a coward.
                          You're not a coward. There's nothing worse than a "Rambo" type person that is overconfident in his abilities to handle every gun right out of the starting box... As for the book reading, you have my sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
                            You're not a coward. There's nothing worse than a "Rambo" type person that is overconfident in his abilities to handle every gun right out of the starting box... As for the book reading, you have my sympathy.
                            Thanks. Need a damn speed-reading course, one book's 782 pages...not counting the 13-page long glossary...and I'm only on 176, and the other's 820. Yippee. Damn Nick and his long-ass fantasy novels.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Oh, but we've already seen Carson in this kind of situation: The Eye.

Where he was totally a wuss and didn't want to fly in the storm (but of course, he was being cautious), and then when they did get to Atlantis, he whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined and whined...even though he was supposed to stay quiet. Oh, and then he got clocked by a girl because he won't stop talking.
                              Again, Ford should not have given him a P90, not with so many 9 mils and stunners readily available.

But he got clocked by a HOT girl with a GUN!!! Maybe we could start a new thread???

Wait... She wasn't wearing leather.

Comment

Ive only held 1 gun in my entire life and that was a standard issue British WW1 rifle (in a museum).

Comment

Working...
                                X