No announcement yet.

Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes and that is just the thing that worries me, was just saying so to me Beta, no one knows how I cope with more that a couple of scenes....just worried it will be too different for everyone.
    Also you have to remember with this first one, that I wrote it before i found this place, or any place like it.....I wrote is solely for me.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dellruby View Post
      Yes and that is just the thing that worries me, was just saying so to me Beta, no one knows how I cope with more that a couple of scenes....just worried it will be too different for everyone.
      Also you have to remember with this first one, that I wrote it before i found this place, or any place like it.....I wrote is solely for me.
      Dell, my first fiction was Lost Years which is 8 chapters long now and still going (when the Muse and Plot Bunnies co-operate)...and it went over a hell of a lot better than I ever expected. I was writing it for myself initially, was never intending on it being online until someone here on GW asked to see it and well...
      ...But I was kind of more nervous for my first one-shot (Carson and the...Turtle?) Because I've never been good at ending anything I write. Ever. And I write in like 3 different styles. Chapter style where I write scene by scene for the most part, One-Shot style, where I write several short scenes into one fiction and hope it goes over well, and what I've come to call "Mystery Lover" style where I break it down and literally post it scene by scene as the bunnies nag, short but very intense scenes.

...And I do all of this, mind, without a Beta. What you're reading of my work is raw, unedited work that nobody has ever seen until I post it here or on FF.net.

Comment

Ahh, yes but you don't need a Beta.
        I don't use one to get ideas (ok ok, I hear her in my ear saying that is not quite true)
        I use her to bounce ideas off, and she has great input....but I use her mainly for spelling and grammar, because we all know I can't do those two on my own.
        For my first one, I had no one to get ideas off...it is all me. It is being checked now only for spelling and grammar. Not changing it from the original at all!
        sigpic

Comment

...Everyone needs a Beta...I just defy that and don't have one because I'd never write if I did have a beta. *sigh* I have this...shall we say...scar when it comes to my writing. I wrote a story when I was 8 years old, and I handed it to my grandmother because I was so proud I was going to be a writer, just like Nannie (my grandmother)...and she took that excitement and basically ruined it for me. She was an English teacher and I wasn't bright enough to think that through and well, let's just say I was so discouraged that all she had to say was what I'd done wrong in my writing.

To this day, when I see the red pen marks on a school paper I get handed back or someone helps me edit a story...I tend to freak out unreasonably at first and then slowly grow to hate the paper or story so much that I can't even look at it. I've tried, but I cannot tell you how many half finished stories I have saved to my laptop that I just never finished because someone tried to edit what I had so far and now I can't even stand to look at them because I hate them so much.

That's why I don't use a Beta. Knowing someone was there just to correct my stories...would just discourage me from writing because I'd be so afraid. I'd be afraid the stories I am so proud of would end up putting me through the same living hell I went through with my first story (which I haven't even picked up the old notebook since it happened, because I can't stand to look at it now)...

Comment

wow, you got hurt bad there!
            Well I could never do that to you, because I wouldn't see anything wrong....haven't so far anyway, and I have read my wee stories lots of times!
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I can only be grateful it didn't completely discourage me from writing altogether...but it does mean that getting my first book published is going to be some unearthly kind of hell for me. However, if a publisher accepts my book I might be able to make myself tough it out with an editor...just to see my pen-name on the cover of a printed book. If I got a book published, that might be enough to help me get the hell over this unreasonable fear of mine...it would prove something to me.

But I know, that's why I even share my writing here and on FF in the first place. I know that you, Sparky, Jae'a, Poet, Beck...none of you would ever hurt me like that Even if you did notice something wrong with one of my stories (a la the teapot/kettle confusion in Pegasus Head Cold) you point it out nicely and you don't make it out as if I've done something wrong, more as if I could just...make it a bit better.

Comment

yes, I don't think you do things wrong, and I will watch my step around you...I don't want to put you off anything.
                sigpic

Comment

yes, I don't think you do things wrong, and I will watch my step around you...I don't want to put you off anything.
                  Hey now, we've been here since September 2012 and you've yet to put me off, so let's not go changing anything now, alright?

I guess it's different in my mind if it's a friend offering help than if it's an 'editor' whose only job is to pick at my stories for some reason...

--Speaking of, any word on when Shep and Carson will get back?

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I got some bad news today....I'm loosing my job.
                    The Gym is going to close...it has been struggling since the earthquake in Feb 2011...was closed for 5 months afterwards, with so many households moving from this area, they can't get the numbers of membership they need.
                    This hit me in 3 ways....1, job gone....2, my free gym membership gone.....3 can't afford the cost of membership, so no gym for me anymore! I will miss my Oxy class!
                    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                      I got some bad news today....I'm loosing my job.
                      The Gym is going to close...it has been struggling since the earthquake in Feb 2011...was closed for 5 months afterwards, with so many households moving from this area, they can't get the numbers of membership they need.
                      This hit me in 3 ways....1, job gone....2, my free gym membership gone.....3 can't afford the cost of membership, so no gym for me anymore! I will miss my Oxy class!
                      Spoiler:
                      Oh Dell...I'm so sorry to hear, Luv. That's too bad...*offers a hug just because she can*
                      --On the upside, for the moment, no more having to leave Shep home when you go to work...

Okay enough of my antics though...Quite sorry if I've been dragging you further down with this nonsense about my writing.

Comment

Hey, I'll be right back in a moment, got to walk this laundry hamper back up to my room and the internet cuts off in between for a moment.

Comment

Ok so out of range.....ok
                          party time!
                          a party for one!
                          *music on loud...no it is not Dolly....and dancing with myself*
                          "Dancing with myself, o-oh dancing with myself, when there's nothing to loose, and theres nothing to prove, I'll be dancing with myself"
                          sigpic

Comment

*bursts out laughing*

Um. Yeah that only did take me a moment...I just saw all of that

Comment

opps!
                              *drops down on the couch out of breath*
                              Fun though!
                              sigpic

Comment

Glad you had fun with your little party

...Now how long does a bloody mission take with these guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X