Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I aim to please...is this the picture?

Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Originally posted by leighanners View Post
      I aim to please...is this the picture?

Yep, that's the one.
      sigpic

Hurrah for a Fifth Season of Stargate: Atlantis!

Comment

I'll see what I can do...

Comment

HEY cshawzye!!!! Did I miss you coming back? I don't remember...although I've just started frequenting again myself. Hmm...HI! haha!
          lol, Hey!! hehe, nah. You didn't miss me coming back. As a matter of fact, it really just happened a couple of hours ago. So you're right on time!

Speaking of new banners, I think I might just have to play around with this pic tomorrow. It's just screaming "make digital art out of me!"

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
          "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

That's the same picture I used! I thought it spoke the same words to me as well. Haha!

Comment

lol. Spooky.

How about this? Hearing any voices? Because it sure speaks to me ... *cough*

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
              "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
                lol. Spooky.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...eckettduet.jpg
                That one doesn't speak to me so much...and I didn't say that so you would be discouraged from using that pic. I just thought it was weird we both picked the same picture. We must be on the same brain wave length. Haha!

Originally posted by phynyxoffyre View Post
                Yep, that's the one.
                How is this?

If you want it to say something different or look different let me know. I have it saved to where I can make changes. I wasn't in a very creatively funny mood to come up with a funny phrase. I picked something McKay had said before.

Comment

That one doesn't speak to me so much...and I didn't say that so you would be discouraged from using that pic. I just thought it was weird we both picked the same picture. We must be on the same brain wave length. Haha!

How is this?

If you want it to say something different or look different let me know. I have it saved to where I can make changes. I wasn't in a very creatively funny mood to come up with a funny phrase. I picked something McKay had said before.
                  Looks great! Thank you very much,Leighanners!

Edit: Hey look! I'm a Mature Symbiote now! (Wow, I need sleep.)
                  Last edited by phynyxoffyre; 03 October 2007, 10:54 PM. Reason: Because I am a dork who just noticed something random.
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks great! Thank you very much,Leighanners!
                    You're very welcome! And really if you want something changed, just let me know. You won't hurt my feelings. I aim to please!

I just realized I passed 1800! YAY! Haha...and does anyone have a full length side view of Carson in the chair? Does one exist? I'm tired, I recall on my own...haha!

Comment

You're very welcome! And really if you want something changed, just let me know. You won't hurt my feelings. I aim to please!
                      Thanks, but it looks great. I even like the quote.

Actually, all I need to know now is what to do so that it shows up in my posts. (Note to Self: learn more about computers!)
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, but it looks great. I even like the quote.

Actually, all I need to know now is what to do so that it shows up in my posts. (Note to Self: learn more about computers!)
                        Save it. Upload it to photobucket, imageshack, whatever you use. Go to My Controls at the top. Left hand side of the page there's a link that says Edit Signature. Click it. Copy and paste the link to the pic. Hit save. Presto!

edit: I just went and looked, you can upload it from you computer now? I didn't know that was there. You might try that too. Dunno. I have all my stuff on the net.

Comment

Save it. Upload it to photobucket, imageshack, whatever you use. Go to My Controls at the top. Left hand side of the page there's a link that says Edit Signature. Click it. Copy and paste the link to the pic. Hit save. Presto!

edit: I just went and looked, you can upload it from you computer now? I didn't know that was there. You might try that too. Dunno. I have all my stuff on the net.
                          Thank you again, Leighanners!

Yeah, just saw that you can upload from the computer. Tried it and it works.

Edit: Or at least I thought it had worked....hmmm.
                          Last edited by phynyxoffyre; 03 October 2007, 11:20 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

But my heart will always lie with Carson.
                            There is certainly no other like him, NEVER!

Your shiny new banner is great, leighanners!

Originally posted by idlewild202 View Post
                            Kinda one little thing to say after watching Adrift, if I were to sum up Keller in one word it would be flat. It's not the fact that she's replacing our dear Carson, but it's that even if they where on the show together, she would be 2D compared to Carson's 3D character. Get what I'm saying?? Who knows, maybe they'll have some character development for her later on, but still... she just seems so, blah. Not to mention another generic american accent *cries*
                            It's just when I watch it I can't help comparing her performance, and my reaction to it, to what I imagine might have come out of Paul had he been the one in charge. In the end, there's just no comparison.

Without spoiling anything, I think had it been Carson/Paul in the infirmary in "Adrift" I would've had so much more of an emotional attachment to the entire situation. It's really nothing against JS, at all. She just doesn't have the connections that Paul had. Carson was in Atlantis fighting with and for the team from the start. We've seen him at high points and low points and we watched as he grew with friends and expedition mates. Having him in the infirmary fighting for people's lives was always so powerful. Thanks, in part to Paul's amazing acting skills, but also to the connection that the character (and actor) had made to those around him. Having this background, especially in an episode like "Adrift," would've been a major asset. In the end, for me at least, the connection just wasn't there.

I agree that the character was a little flat, but I also think that the performance was slightly awkward. There were points when she was dealing with Sheppard that I cringed a little because of the awkwardness I felt in the situation. And again, I really think that's a sign of her lack of connection to the other characters. She's got no background with anyone and in a time and an episode like "Adrift," where some kind of connection would've been such an asset, the glaring lack of one was a real hindrance. IMO, anyway.
                            Fair or not, I think there is no way around of her being compared to PM and his performance of Carson Beckett, especially because he was such a fan favourite. No matter how hard she tries, most fans will at least at the beginning think about what it would have been like if Carson had been there, especially when it comes to emotional scenes.

And it's perfectly logical that the emotional scenes with her lack connection with the lot because she has absolutely no history with them! When someone you've never seen before tells you how much he cares for someone who's been portrayed for three years without ever mentioning this person, it MUST fall flat. In my opinion it takes an extraordinary performance to get that feeling across in such a situation. (Does anyone remember Arnold Vosloo as Imhotep in "The Mummy"? In the first minute or so of the film, he caressed the dead body of his loved one, Anck-Su-Namun, without even touching her; there he really managed to pull it off! I was blown away by the scene, it was moving to the core! )
                            All the other characters have a connection and history with Weir or the audience, so it's kind of unbelievable when it comes from someone without any of it, even if her performance wasn't bad.

I think I now need to melt away. *happy sigh*
                            Those caps were magnificent! They instantly lightened my mood; especially the last one was superb. (Don't want to look away EVER again.)

Originally posted by idlewild202 View Post
                            K, don't mean to double post but.... that's kinda creepy. You posted while I was busy typing mine up (and fetching image urls).... and well, we both wrote almost the exact same thing about Keller. Weird.

Guess great minds think alike!!
                            AMEN to that!
                            But that you both posted about the same, even with almost the same wording (and I've heard these exact arguments on other threads as well), only confirms the strong impression of not being overly impressed with the newly added character of Keller instead of our 'right' CMO Beckett.

Wow...that's creepy! Haha...but she is. Carson was very 3D. And if you compare the two, Carson makes her look like she has the personality of a rock.
                            Having to prove herself to all the many Carson fans is like putting her into a gauntlet but then, the footprints Paul McGillion left behind are pretty hard to fill, so it's no wonder she looks kind of flat. PM's performance and interpretation of Carson Beckett has always been stellar. He's given so much to this role and was rewarded for his hard work with immensely loyal fan love. His extremely likable personality immediately touched one's heart and won one over, his sweet accent adding to the striking out presence of his screen time. It doesn't surprise me that Keller seems much more average in that department.

lol, Hey!! hehe, nah. You didn't miss me coming back. As a matter of fact, it really just happened a couple of hours ago. So you're right on time!
                            Spoiler:

Speaking of new banners, I think I might just have to play around with this pic tomorrow. It's just screaming "make digital art out of me!"
                            I'm so immensely happy when this thread comes to life a bit more again!
                            It was so awfully quiet in here lately. I really miss the old days and hope this thread won't fade into insignificance just because our beloved character was mercilessly axed.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat to see what you make of that fine picture, cshawzye. You're always so gifted and creative with making banners and icons.

I thought it spoke the same words to me as well. Haha!
                            lol. Spooky.

Spoiler:
                            So you are hearing voices... from caps...
                            I think it's my turn to be spooked!

But your choices are great. Please show the results to us poor minions. We always appreciate new banners and such. *kisses your respective muses to send you guidance*
                            twinchaosblade .......................... ...... ...... ..........................Homepage and FanFic
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you again, Leighanners!

Yeah, just saw that you can upload from the computer. Tried it and it works.

Edit: Or at least I thought it had worked....hmmm.
                              did you hit save? cause I sometimes pull dumb moments and don't do that.

Twin- Thanks!

I can't find a pic of Carson/Chair that I like. GRRR! I wanted to get this other banner out before I went to sleep.

Comment

I just realized I passed 1800! YAY! Haha...and does anyone have a full length side view of Carson in the chair? Does one exist? I'm tired, I recall on my own...haha!
                                I just now realized the same!

Congratulations and jubilations for fantastic posts, leighanners!

Carson at full length in chair, let me see what I can dig out...
                                Spoiler:

That's all I got immediately on hand, leighanners. If you need more, let me know and I'll try to cap another few pics, for I have got at least one more idea where to look at.
                                twinchaosblade .......................... ...... ...... ..........................Homepage and FanFic
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X