Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Yes - fantasy, 'swords and sorcery' fantasy, to be exact, written back in the 60s and 70s by Michael Moorcock. There is a new release of the Elric Saga through Del Rey books, and because of my love for Wraith, and Nuada, Sparrow_hawk suggested I read it, since I love these poor tortured, self-condemning antihero types...and pale things.

das
    first time i saw the Nuada guy in someone's sig i tought he's Nergal from the metal band Behemoth

Comment

Yes - fantasy, 'swords and sorcery' fantasy, to be exact, written back in the 60s and 70s by Michael Moorcock. There is a new release of the Elric Saga through Del Rey books, and because of my love for Wraith, and Nuada, Sparrow_hawk suggested I read it, since I love these poor tortured, self-condemning antihero types...and pale things.

das
      Which book/story is the best one of the seires? I might give one a try this summer.
      sigpic
      Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post
        Which book/story is the best one of the seires? I might give one a try this summer.
        They are a pretty easy read, so you could tackle several over the summer.

Elric OT:
        Spoiler:
        The first full story is Elric of Melniboné, and I recommend reading that first. Here is a rough chronology (they were not published in chronological order, which caused me a lot of confusion at first):

(I) Elric of Melniboné
        Book 1
        Book 2
        Book 3
        The Fortress of the Pearl
        (II) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
        Book One: Sailing To the Future
        Book Two: Sailing To the Present
        Book Three: Sailing To the Past
        (III) The Weird of the White Wolf
        Prologue: The Dream of Earl Aubec
        Book One: The Dreaming City
        Book Two: While the Gods Laugh
        Book Three: The Singing Citadel
        (IV) The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
        Book One: The Torment of the Last Lord
        Book Two: To Snare the Pale Prince
        Book Three: Three heroes With a Single Aim
        The Revenge of the Rose
        (V) The Bane of the Black Sword
        Book One: The Stealer of Souls
        Book Two: Kings in Darkness
        Book Three: The Flamebringers (aka The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams)
        Epilogue: To Rescue Tanelorn
        (VI) Stormbringer
        Book One: Dead God's Homecoming
        Book Two: Black Sword's Brothers
        Book Three: Sad Giant's Shield
        Book Four: Doomed Lord's Passing

You can find a lot of info on wiki - but it's loaded with spoilers, so beware. There are additional stories to these, but these are the main ones, with the exception of The Fortress of the Pearl and The Revenge of the Rose, both of which were written much later.

The first story, Elric of Melniboné, is in Vol. 3 of the new Del Rey series: http://www.multiverse.org/wiki/index...8collection%29

This is the entire series to date:

http://www.multiverse.org/wiki/index...Melnibon%C3%A9

Wraith, Wraith, Wraith.

das
        Last edited by dasNdanger; 16 May 2009, 08:47 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cadaveria View Post
          first time i saw the Nuada guy in someone's sig i tought he's Nergal from the metal band Behemoth
          Ha!! The name just hit me. You have a different avatar over here than you do over on the Sci Fi forum. I'm Astreetari over there.
          sigpic

Comment

They are a pretty easy read, so you could tackle several over the summer.

The first full story is Elric of Melniboné, and I recommend reading that first. Here is a rough chronology (they were not published in chronological order, which caused me a lot of confusion at first):

(I) Elric of Melniboné
            Book 1
            Book 2
            Book 3
            The Fortress of the Pearl
            (II) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate
            Book One: Sailing To the Future
            Book Two: Sailing To the Present
            Book Three: Sailing To the Past
            (III) The Weird of the White Wolf
            Prologue: The Dream of Earl Aubec
            Book One: The Dreaming City
            Book Two: While the Gods Laugh
            Book Three: The Singing Citadel
            (IV) The Vanishing Tower (The Sleeping Sorceress)
            Book One: The Torment of the Last Lord
            Book Two: To Snare the Pale Prince
            Book Three: Three heroes With a Single Aim
            The Revenge of the Rose
            (V) The Bane of the Black Sword
            Book One: The Stealer of Souls
            Book Two: Kings in Darkness
            Book Three: The Flamebringers (aka The Caravan of Forgotten Dreams)
            Epilogue: To Rescue Tanelorn
            (VI) Stormbringer
            Book One: Dead God's Homecoming
            Book Two: Black Sword's Brothers
            Book Three: Sad Giant's Shield
            Book Four: Doomed Lord's Passing

You can find a lot of info on wiki - but it's loaded with spoilers, so beware. There are additional stories to these, but these are the main ones, with the exception of The Fortress of the Pearl and The Revenge of the Rose, both of which were written much later.

das
            Wow!!! Looks like I need to drag out my library card! Thanks.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow!!! Looks like I need to drag out my library card! Thanks.
              I added some more to my previous post. It may help you out!

das
              sigpic

Comment

I added some more to my previous post. It may help you out!

das
                I'm impressed. They must be really good!!
                sigpic

Comment

Ha!! The name just hit me. You have a different avatar over here than you do over on the Sci Fi forum. I'm Astreetari over there.
                  glad to see another "survivor" from the sci-fi forum here .

Comment

Originally posted by Cadaveria View Post
                    glad to see another "survivor" from the sci-fi forum here .
                    Draygon actually started out over there and I redirected her over here. WraithHumor too although he's been so busy with his classes that we haven'lt seen much of him since classes started. Someone else was briefly over there and came over here, but I can't remember who it was. That's all the wraithy people I know of that made the transfer or go back and forth between the two forums.
                    sigpic

Comment

Draygon actually started out over there and I redirected her over here. WraithHumor too although he's been so busy with his classes that we haven'lt seen much of him since classes started. Someone else was briefly over there and came over here, but I can't remember who it was. That's all the wraithy people I know of that made the transfer or go back and forth between the two forums.

I know Draygon, she's one of my best friends over here, helped me a lot . And about the other, i wish to see the "wraithy people" united here .

Comment

So - the movie title is Stargate Atlantis: Extinction.

Yeah. I'm depressed.

das

I really hope this (working)title doesn´t refer to the extinction of the wraith, but is only for misleading the fans.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
                          I know I'm in the minority here, and I know many love to name the wraith--but I can't stand it! I'm not sure whether I don't like the naming process, or I don't like the names themselves, maybe both. But are these names for the wraith the fans here have for them?
                          Most of them were named by members of the WDC except for Darrell and Gordon - those were the names given them in the Wraithial Discrimination DVD features. It seems that the Wraith characters got named by the production team just so everyone knew which Wraith they were talking about when there was more than one in an episode.

IThank you! I wonder if these names are known fan wide. .
                          I think other groups of fans have given the Wraith names.

Because then I can refer to them in my essay. Otherwise I'm going to end up saying "the wraith from such an such episode" which is a little cumbersome to constantly state
                          That's why WDC members gave them names - it's easier to refer to the scientist from Allies as Erik, for example. I'm afraid you'll have to use the long way round in your essay, though, unless it's just intended for readers who hang around the WDC. Even though I use those names when talking about them in this topic, the thunk threads and the role playing game I always use the long way round everywhere else.

Originally posted by geekywraith
                          Here is a site that has the names for the wraith by the fans.
                          It doesn't have all of them, though. Gordon and Darrell aren't there because they were just seen as blurred figures in The Gift when Teyla was telepathically tuned into one of the Wraith on a hive ship.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ciannw...lOutInPegasus#

The above album has three very obscure Wraith whio were named by Wraith Worshippers Anonymous players. Alec is one of the two faced males leading a line of warriors in The Seige while Ian and Ray were the two Wraith with Vincent in Travellers. They were in the corridor with him before getting sucked out into space.

Not that my own albums are complete yet - I forgot to put Edgar in so am now off to do it.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to find this pic of Jean-Luc with a sword.

Jean-Luc with sword

It's on naamiaiset's page but I failed to spot it in screen caps from The Queen.

http://naamiaiset.livejournal.com/49087.html#cutid1

Does anyone know where it comes from because I'm hoping to find a bigger copy.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I'm depressed.

das
                              Yeah, it sounds «encouraging»... On the other hand, humans and extinction get along very well . The last hope is that movie plot doesn’t revolve around wraith, if we can rely on information we have.

Besides, if my memory serves me correctly you have been promised enjoyment from a movie. I don’t think it was a kind of evil joke.
                              ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Yeah. I'm depressed.
                                das
                                But they've said Wraith are not the A story of the movie....
                                So...

Stay positive now. (c) Sheppard

Comment

Working...
                                X