This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Yeah, I have a dismaying feeling that Teyla's gender is the most important thing about her character. There have been a few really good threads over the years about TPTB and their female characters (this is the best one) but one sentiment that keeps coming up is that TPTB seem to write females who are characters rather than characters who just happen to be female. There's a world of difference between the two and I'm with you, Arica; I'd rather watch an all-male cast than be subjected to characters whose main purpose is to be female. It's entirely possible to create great, well-rounded and three-dimensional characters who are also women rather than starting off with a woman and tacking bits on to make her look interesting.
    No, alas, think you're right. TPTB don't seem to know how to write women, of course, since they're guys, they know little about women. A female writer (as long as they're a good writer) would be nice to see added to the mix.

Comment

I've never wanted any characters to die, and certainly not Teyla. I like her and see her as a valuable member of the team. So, sorry the petition is not my thing.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        No, alas, think you're right. TPTB don't seem to know how to write women, of course, since they're guys, they know little about women. A female writer (as long as they're a good writer) would be nice to see added to the mix.
        They have the same neglect issues with male characters as they do with female ones. Season 1 Ford, anyone?
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          Ahh, well that's the trick, isn't it? The show needs good writers, it doesn't matter if they're male or female. And female writers on Stargate don't have the best of track records, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen Undomiel View Post
            Aham. 3 seasons has passed. The reaction is a little slow don't you think?
            Yeah. I'm just glad it's coming at all.
            || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by Devine27 View Post
              And still, if season four sucks shouldn’t the petition be for better writers on SGA, not killing off another character?
              I've been hoping for this for a while, but I've given up on the whole thing after TPTB dumped Weir because they couldn't figure out what to do with her. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened to Teyla.

Originally posted by Arwen Undomiel View Post
              Aham. 3 seasons has passed. The reaction is a little slow don't you think?
              Yeah, I tend to agree. Everyone had a character-heavy ep in s3 except for Teyla. The exclusion was quite apparent to me.

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
              Plus, Larrin instead of Teyla on the team? No. Just....no.
              Totally. But at this point, I wouldn't put it past TPTB...

(mild spoiler of plotline that everyone probably knows by now)
              Spoiler:
              I think it's a shame that Teyla's "big story" is going to revolve around her womb. I understand the elements that were involved, but still... *sigh* Maybe if she'd been allowed to have other important character developments along the way then the pregnancy thing wouldn't seem so... embarrassing, but to have Teyla be more or less defined by this story is terrible, in my opinion.
              Especially since TPTB were going on and on about how Teyla would get this great focus in s4 before
              Spoiler:
              RL got pregnant. Now, it was nice that they accommodated her in real life, but I wonder how much of her original, baby-free stories got the axe to make room for baby. And I wonder how much better those baby-free stories might have been.

And I'm very worried about how TPTB will handle the baby story. Adding a baby into a show, even if it's just for one ep, rarely goes well...

Comment

(mild spoiler of plotline that everyone probably knows by now)
                Spoiler:
                I think it's a shame that Teyla's "big story" is going to revolve around her womb. I understand the elements that were involved, but still... *sigh* Maybe if she'd been allowed to have other important character developments along the way then the pregnancy thing wouldn't seem so... embarrassing, but to have Teyla be more or less defined by this story is terrible, in my opinion.
                Yeah, I have to agree on that one.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                I've been hoping for this for a while, but I've given up on the whole thing after TPTB dumped Weir because they couldn't figure out what to do with her. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened to Teyla.
                Man, I hope not!

TPTB were going on and on about how Teyla would get this great focus in s4 before
                Spoiler:
                RL got pregnant. Now, it was nice that they accommodated her in real life, but I wonder how much of her original, baby-free stories got the axe to make room for baby. And I wonder how much better those baby-free stories might have been.

And I'm very worried about how TPTB will handle the baby story. Adding a baby into a show, even if it's just for one ep, rarely goes well...
                I was so looking forward to see that development, then . . . boom. A baby was thrown in the mix, and I started to get very, very worried. I just hope they don't thoroughly muff this. And I hope that whatever good stories they were going to do will somehow be incorporated in season 5.
                || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Especially since TPTB were going on and on about how Teyla would get this great focus in s4...
                  Pardon my cynicism, but were they saying this before they knew about Rachel? Or was it along the lines of, "Oh, we had such WONDERFUL things planned for Teyla, but now we're doing this instead!"

I'll also chime in with those pointing out that it's a bit late to suddenly be giving Teyla character development that she should have had years ago. Although one hopes (however futilely) that this missing past development wouldn't have centered around her reproductive organs.

Comment

Pardon my cynicism, but were they saying this before they knew about Rachel? Or was it along the lines of, "Oh, we had such WONDERFUL things planned for Teyla, but now we're doing this instead!"
                    From what I can remember, yes. I think Joe M. had made comments about it months before they knew about RL. I could verify it by digging through his blog, but you know, ew.

Comment

From what I can remember, yes. I think Joe M. had made comments about it months before they knew about RL. I could verify it by digging through his blog, but you know, ew.
                      Hm. Okay, then. It's still a sad turn of events, IMO.

Comment

So is it me or are there others who wouldn't be too upset if there characters are picked off one by one? Except of course Sam.
                        "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron View Post
                          So is it me or are there others who wouldn't be too upset if there characters are picked off one by one? Except of course Sam.
                          What makes Sam so special then?
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            What makes Sam so special then?
                            ::gasping!:: Her reproductive organs are on the inside...She's blown up a sun...After 15 years and three super computers, she was able to MacGyver a way to power the gate?...Saved Earth a couples of times (who else on SGA can claim that?)...Flew an asteroid - right through Earth...Is good with kids...Talks to her plants...She makes a mean souffle...Is able to explain advanced physics using ordinary everyday objects such as fruit and donughts...Bought the right kind of toaster needed for a do-it-yourself Stargate...and most of all she's BLONDE!
                            "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

If I thought they'd be replaced by better characters, I wouldn't lose much sleep (as long as they keep Lorne), but they wouldn't be good replacements, would they? Unless you replace the writers, too, and that, alas, isn't going to happen.

Comment

::gasping!:: Her reproductive organs are on the inside...She's blown up a sun...After 15 years and three super computers, she was able to MacGyver a way to power the gate?...Saved Earth a couples of times (who else on SGA can claim that?)...Flew an asteroid - right through Earth...Is good with kids...Talks to her plants...She makes a mean souffle...Is able to explain advanced physics using ordinary everyday objects such as fruit and donughts...Bought the right kind of toaster needed for a do-it-yourself Stargate...and most of all she's BLONDE!
                                Nope, don't see it...
                                Last edited by Falcon Horus; 04 November 2007, 05:22 PM. Reason: grammar
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X