No announcement yet.

Lt. Aiden Ford/Rainbow Sun Francks Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just have flashbacks to the announcement that MS was returning as a regular for S7... followed a few days later by the announcement that the little alien guy- what was his name?- was reduced to recurring status. And then, as it turned out, "recurring" meant three eps. Two to get rid of him and one to pay him off.

The situation here is obviously a bit different, but I still don't care for the feel of it. I've been burned enough already and Ford/Francks deserve better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      The situation here is obviously a bit different, but I still don't care for the feel of it. I've been burned enough already and Ford/Francks deserve better than this.
      Here, here! I completely agree.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I actually don't think that they are getting rid of Ford. I think that we are adding a 5th team member. Or maybe they are going to flash back between two teams. We will have to see though.
        Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

I've got a gut feeling that Aiden isn't going to be around for too much longer. I truly hope that I'm wrong though. I totally agree with ShadowMaat, Ford/Francks deserves better. It's not his fault the writers don't know what to do with him. Instead of getting rid of him and bringing in a new character, they should just do what they should've done in the first place, which is write for the poor guy. It's only been one season, so I'm understanding about his lack of development. But just bringing in a new guy and ignoring the problem won't help any. Maybe there are behind the scenes reasons why they're possibly getting rid of the character, I don't know. But like I said, I really really hope I'm wrong, and that Aiden is going to continue being a series main.
          MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I hope they don't ever get rid of Ford. If they just developed him more he has the potential to turn into a really good character, however at the moment they just don't spen enough time on him.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't understand his lack of development. It's season one? Fine, yes. But he's a MAIN CHARACTER and we already have a better sense of two or more recurring characters than someone who is supposed to be Main Cast. And if you figure in Teyla, that's TWO of the five main characters who get continually sidelined. We're just now starting to get some "meaty" stuff on Ford and Teyla (if you're up to Letters from Pegasus), but neither of them has really had their own ep yet and it'd be a shame to have either (or both) of them dropped in S2 because the writers can't figure out what to do with them. I'm shallow enough to admit that I'm not as upset over any potential loss of Teyla, but part of that is because she's a girl and whatever promises the producers make, I think they'll keep her around for ship potential. They've been... less than truthful before, especially where ship is concerned. I'll adopt a "wait and see" attitude for that, but meanwhile...

I want to see Ford treated like a main character next season. He's there for a reason, isn't he? So let's see it!
              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 13 January 2005, 07:06 AM. Reason: thbbbbt :P Typo

Comment

I haven't seen the last half of S1 yet, but I'm surprised to hear that they still haven't given Ford any development. Or Teyla. Teyla is their alien connection (and she's one of only two female cast members) so I'm afraid Ford/Francks is on the bubble.

Based on these latest spoilers, I believe Ford may become a recurring character, rather than a regular. That might not be so bad if it's a meaty recurring role.

I'd rather have Ford go that direction rather than standing around as background scenery and occasionally being used for comedic banter. I'd hate to see him become the Mayweather(?) of Atlantis.

At least Stargate has a decent record of developing its recurring characters - like Jacob, Bra'tac and Janet.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

If they haven't done anything with him as a main character, whan makes you think they'll bother if he's recurring? Out of sight, out of mind. If they drop him to recurring status it's because they don't want to be bothered with writing for him.

Maybe they should have thought of that before they created the character.

Comment

Because according to the spoilers they're about to give him a "hook", a "gimmick" that might make him prime recurring character material.

Up to now he's just been 4th guy on the team, bringing up the rear.

My guess on the non-development is that the other characters just sort of came alive for them. And surprisingly it was characters like Zelenka that were easier for them to write.

But you're right - they should have had a plan in place for Ford. They didn't.

Comment

You'll forgive me if I remain bitter about the possibility. I have a particular sensitivity to characters getting unceremoniously dumped out of the spotlight to make way for "better" characters. *grinds teeth*

Comment

I hadn't noticed.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they've recognized they don't know what to do with Ford in his current incarnation so they're going to tweak the character and turn him into a strong recurring role.

That's better than dumping him altogther - which makes fans bitter, ya know.

Comment

I agree.

I feel we're gonna get screwed over by TPTB again. If they keep this up, it will alienate (pardon the pun) fans.

Comment

TPTB should have had a characters developed, complete with backstories and future plot possibilities BEFORE ever casting the characters. Obviously no one bothered to do this with either Ford or Teyla. Both of them have no personality and no story potentials. Teyla is probably the "strongest" (and that isn't saying much) as she is psychic towards the Wraith and has a hot bod, but that isn't going to keep fans interested for long, especially with rumors of more evil foes than the Wraith out there. Both characters seem to be "throw-aways".

As for secondary characters - Beckett, Zelenka, etc., becoming so popular - I think that has taken TPTB by surprise and I think they are now writing to what the fans are responding to versus what they originally planned. I also think these other characters have become popular because the actors have been able to bring something "extra" to them that wasn't in the script. Something that neither Rainbow nor Rachel have been able to do with their characters - which is probably just due to their inexperience as actors. If given some good scripts and time, I think they can improve their acting skills. Remains to be seen if TPTB intend to give them that opportunity.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I just have flashbacks to the announcement that MS was returning as a regular for S7... followed a few days later by the announcement that the little alien guy- what was his name?- was reduced to recurring status. And then, as it turned out, "recurring" meant three eps. Two to get rid of him and one to pay him off.

I understand what you are saying, but I have to ask why the blame..for lack of a better word.. is automaticly falling on TPTB? I admit what few epsisodes of Atlantis I've seen, the character of Ford has not been used to it's potential, but the possible loss of the character could stem from his decision.

You mention the MS situation. Before he came back to the show, Michael left it because of unhappiness with the utilization of his character. Keith Hamilton Cobb left Andromeda for the same reason. If the show is losing the character of Ford, then there is the possibility that Rainbow has been offered a chance at something he felt was a better move for his career.

I guess I'm just trying to say is we don't know yet what is happening and why. I hope they keep Ford and give Rainbow a chance to show his talent in the role. If it's Franck's choice to leave, I wish him well. And if it comes to light that we could have kept him if his character had been more into play..then I'll be one to join the SLF.com campaign
                              ______
                              Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                                also think these other characters have become popular because the actors have been able to bring something "extra" to them that wasn't in the script. Something that neither Rainbow nor Rachel have been able to do with their characters - which is probably just due to their inexperience as actors.
                                Personaly I don't think that it has anything to do with thier acting ability but rather the story lines that are given to them at this point in time. From what I have observed Rainbow in particular is a rather good actor when given the chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X