X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cathain Nottingham
    Don't those contradict one another?

*sneaks off to come up with an idea*
    Pretty much, but I never said that I wasn't one to rush into things. I'd try and be patient for him....slow and steady wins the race, right? Or in this case the hot doctor
    Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
    :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
      Pretty much, but I never said that I wasn't one to rush into things. I'd try and be patient for him....slow and steady wins the race, right? Or in this case the hot doctor

Oh hoho! A challenge!

Comment

Haha, what happened to discussing Dr Carson Beckett? We seem to have devolved into a how to get Dr Carson Beckett.

Now this Cadman stuff. Spoilers may a bound here so please look away now!!!

Spoiler:

If you watch the begining she is teasing Rodney but come on, she only really knows Rodney through her professional relationship with him so why not tease him I would tease him, he is easy too tease.

The gossip thing well if you were on Atlantis and you were with a bunch of women wouldn't you gossip a little? Come on be truthfull? O.K I don't normally gossip either but on Atlantis what else is there to do? If you have ever played poker with women, it is gossip city! Come to think of it this is a little gossippy, this thread!

Now I am not trying to defend Cadman, I think she is too young for our Doctor. Anyway as I said he needs a "mother" substitute. Or he needs someone he can mother. Is that too sick?!? Sorry I was just thinking of McBeck. Lord knows Rodney could do with some (s)mothering.

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
          I love the idea of the ladies' poker night--wonder if Weir and Teyla get invited--better yet, let's have another lighthearted episode later on showing us the weekly poker night--the ladies in one room and the men in another location--and let US in on all the gossip!
          You know they are rather top heavy, so to speak, for guys on SGA.

Shepp, Dex, McKay, Beckett, Ford, Zelenka oh I could go on... then they only have Weir and Telya!

I know that males seem to be able to only write for males we need a female writer. I thought the same thing about SG-1. Where are the female writers on these shows? Are there any? Have there ever been any? Just a thought.

Comment

Wow! How could I have missed this thread? *hits head against desk*

Coherent discussion (as opposed to shameless thunking )of my favourite character? Yay! The gemini in me is very, very happy!

I agree with the general consensus that Cadman isn't quite the woman for Beckett. I agree that Beckett definately needs to nurture and be nurtured in return. Cadman doesn't seem the type. Her demeanor when advising Rodney on relationships seemed extremely "goal oriented", very focused on conquest (which goes with her career choice). Beckett being a doctor, seems more process-oriented. The act of nurturing is the goal, not nurturing to ensure acquisition etc.

On a different topic, (if I may)
            I find it interesting that I'm drawn to Beckett at all. I usually despise the doctors on SciFi programs. They are consistantly my least favourite characters. Beckett (in addition to his good looks ) obviously has something different to offer the position. The doctors on Star Trek, for example, I always found very "holier than thou". Nothing was more important than their medical agenda, and anyone who's morals or duties conficted with the hypocratic oath got a long and earnest lecture about how THEY were wrong.
            In Duet,
            Spoiler:

when the Wraith ship is shot down, Beckett approaches it and, finding the pilot still alive, does the instinctive thing a healer (and every doctor on every sci-fi show) would do: he tries to go in with the idea of healing him. Then Shep shoots and kills the pilot with pragmatic efficiency. I inwardly GROANED because I was waiting for the inevitable sci-fi doctor "what have you done? how could you do that? you can't trade one life for another! moral outrage! moral outrage!...Yes, Beckett gave a startled "What did you do?", but that was it! He accepted that this is essentially war, and that the Wraith are not an enemy that can be reasoned with. At this point at least, the extreme danger a living Wraith poses to the group simply outweighs the abstract moral ideal of saving every being all the time.

There seems to be a quality about the Beckett character that makes him inherently warmer than most sci-fi doctor characters. I'm still trying to grapple with quantifying it......

AT
            thistledown
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown
              Well I only realised myself that we didn't seem to have one a few weeks ago so I started one.

Coherent discussion (as opposed to shameless thunking )of my favourite character? Yay! The gemini in me is very, very happy!
              Not entirely convinced that we have coherent discussions but yes a little less *Thunk* here although it does slip in occasionally.

I find it interesting that I'm drawn to Beckett at all. I usually despise the doctors on SciFi programs. They are consistantly my least favourite characters. Beckett (in addition to his good looks ) obviously has something different to offer the position. The doctors on Star Trek, for example, I always found very "holier than thou". Nothing was more important than their medical agenda, and anyone who's morals or duties conficted with the hypocratic oath got a long and earnest lecture about how THEY were wrong.
              In Duet,
              Spoiler:

when the Wraith ship is shot down, Beckett approaches it and, finding the pilot still alive, does the instinctive thing a healer (and every doctor on every sci-fi show) would do: he tries to go in with the idea of healing him. Then Shep shoots and kills the pilot with pragmatic efficiency. I inwardly GROANED because I was waiting for the inevitable sci-fi doctor "what have you done? how could you do that? you can't trade one life for another! moral outrage! moral outrage!...Yes, Beckett gave a startled "What did you do?", but that was it! He accepted that this is essentially war, and that the Wraith are not an enemy that can be reasoned with. At this point at least, the extreme danger a living Wraith poses to the group simply outweighs the abstract moral ideal of saving every being all the time.

There seems to be a quality about the Beckett character that makes him inherently warmer than most sci-fi doctor characters. I'm still trying to grapple with quantifying it......

AT
              Hmm, I understand where you are coming from however I like the doctors on Star Trek for the very reason's you give. I love the "holier than thou" attitude someone taking a stand and sticking to their guns. Gotta love it IMO.

Comment

Star Trek?! who mentioned that horrible show (compared to stargate) in this thread, as far as sci-fi goes..it's not THAT bad but stargate characters should NEVER be compared to star trek...Anyway, Carson is my number two favoruite chracter (sorry, Mckays first people..) I just love Carsons accent, and he plays his role really well and the whining? some of the parts i laughed the hardest at also, his bouncing off of Mckay parts...ah that's some good quality shows ...Anyway, go carson!

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
                  Star Trek?! who mentioned that horrible show (compared to stargate) in this thread, as far as sci-fi goes..it's not THAT bad but stargate characters should NEVER be compared to star trek!
                  Agreed! Just comparing to illustrate how much more I like Carson!

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                  I love the "holier than thou" attitude someone taking a stand and sticking to their guns. Gotta love it IMO.!
                  I do love characters who stick to their principles, and I really see Carson as one of those characters. However, he never proselytizes his morality. He doesn't beat people over the head with HIS point of view. He seems to recognize that others have different agendas - and respects them even if he doesn't agree.

In Poisoning the Well:

Spoiler:
                  When he discovers that all these people are being subjected to an agent he helped create, without it being adequately tested, he registers his disagreement strongly. He even pleads his case that surely this can't be what the people want. It never gets to the point of desk-thumping soapboxing, though.
                  At one point he says (I think to Teyla), "I wish we'd never come here." I interpreted that to mean that not only does he regret having been a part of the development of the agent, but regretting that their presence was indeed the catalyst for its coming to fruition at all. He doesn't agree with where they are going with it, and once it becomes clear they are going forward ill-advisedly, he removes himself from contributing further to the research and concentrates fully on healing those hurt by it.
                  He refuses to participate in something that goes against his morals, but didn't feel the need to "convert" the planet to his way of thinking. He shook his head and wished, I'm sure, that they were choosing differently, but stepped back.

That's not all that sets him apart from other doctor characters, though. There's a gentleness to his strength that is usually strangely missing from healers in the scifi genre. There are earnest, high energy ER types, the ornery, crotchety type, but I like the gentleness. He is a relaxing character to be around, and I don't remember finding that attribute in a doctor character in scifi before.

Then again, I could be rambling. It's 5:05am.

AT
                  thistledown
                  sigpic

Comment

Agreed! Just comparing to illustrate how much more I like Carson!
                    I do love characters who stick to their principles, and I really see Carson as one of those characters. However, he never proselytizes his morality. He doesn't beat people over the head with HIS point of view. He seems to recognize that others have different agendas - and respects them even if he doesn't agree.

Then again, I could be rambling. It's 5:05am.

AT
                    I still like the hit them over the head with it, but that is just annoying me!

No, not rambling but my if you aren't working hehe, or doing something else important go to bed! You need your strength to go and *Thunk* later.

Comment

I agree with the general consensus that Cadman isn't quite the woman for Beckett. I agree that Beckett definately needs to nurture and be nurtured in return. Cadman doesn't seem the type. Her demeanor when advising Rodney on relationships seemed extremely "goal oriented", very focused on conquest (which goes with her career choice). Beckett being a doctor, seems more process-oriented. The act of nurturing is the goal, not nurturing to ensure acquisition etc.

In Duet,
                      Spoiler:

AT
                      Very good point! I was expecting the same sort of speech and pleasantly surprised when there wasn't one! (Not that I don't want to hear his voice! I could listen to him read the phone book )

Comment

No, not rambling but my if you aren't working hehe, or doing something else important go to bed! You need your strength to go and *Thunk* later.
                        LOL! When I'm on GW, it's usually between 1 and 5 am! I work from 4pm to midnight or 1am, so I'm "unwinding after work". Couple of cups of tea, some McV's and hit the threads! Usually sleep 'til noon.

AAh! The sleep cycle of the night workers!

AT
                        (right now it is 1:45am)
                        thistledown
                        sigpic

Comment

LOL! When I'm on GW, it's usually between 1 and 5 am! I work from 4pm to midnight or 1am, so I'm "unwinding after work". Couple of cups of tea, some McV's and hit the threads! Usually sleep 'til noon.

AAh! The sleep cycle of the night workers!

AT
                          (right now it is 1:45am)
                          Ah I did think maybe a late shift worker. There seems to be a lot around when I am on here. It is 7pm here.

Comment

Ah I did think maybe a late shift worker. There seems to be a lot around when I am on here. It is 7pm here.
                            What's REALLY bad is that my boyfriend is on HIS computer 3 metres from me happily gaming away online and he works 9am to 6pm.

naughty, naughty boy!

(then again, I have a weakness for naughty boys - don't I? )

AT
                            thistledown
                            sigpic

Comment

What's REALLY bad is that my boyfriend is on HIS computer 3 metres from me happily gaming away online and he works 9am to 6pm.
                              naughty, naughty boy!
                              (then again, I have a weakness for naughty boys - don't I? )

AT
                              Obviously.
                              Paul is a *very naughty, naughty boy*

Oh this new ep does not strike me as being very Carson friendly. All the talk is about McKay and Sheppard.

Comment

Oh this new ep does not strike me as being very Carson friendly. All the talk is about McKay and Sheppard.
                                Argh! Has it been on? I don't have cable, so I have to get the episodes from a friend. Sometimes it's several days after airdate.

Perhaps we haven't seen Beckett as much as we would have liked in these first few episodes of the season because the writers did them before they knew Beckett would be a regular in Season 2??
                                I really don't know how these things are done - I'm grasping at straws, really. I just don't want to believe they've relegated him to the background intentionally!

AT
                                thistledown
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X