Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people have so much hate for season 5?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
    There really is no excused for Brain Storm. Yes the network may have asked for a 'green episode', but why is that an acceptable excuse for Brain Storm being terrible. I mean, was it really so far beyond them to come up with a plot reflecting green issues and make it both scifi and enjoyable?

Actually the more and more I think about it Brain Storm is a really could example of what went so badly wrong with Stargate Atlantis. It may just be me but what I take from the 'why was Brain Storm so bad' question and answer 'the network wanted us to do a green episode' is that the reason that it was as bad as it was was because the writers didn't want to do the episode and decided that if they couldn't get out of the story then they would fill it with what they really did want to write about (McKellar) and then shohorn a 'green' element round about the edges.

Why do I think this is representative of the season and show?

Quite simple. Brain Storm was not an anomaly, it was almost the final in a long line of similar decisions which damaged the show (I say almost the last, I think that 'honour' goes to Identity).

Look back to Season 1, they spent the entire year building up a plot line, isolation from earth, the growing threat of the wraith, Teyla's connection to the Wraith and then somewhere between season 1 and 2 the writers all seemed to have a massive brain storm (see what I did there!) and decided to chuck all that out the window.....why? Heaven only knows as I've yet to hear a coherent explanation. Instead we had a character dumped - for reasons that amde no sense either, Ford wasn't the best character ever written but he wasn't that bad at all - and his interesting new plot about wraith addiction and going alone in Pegasus just abandoned. Because the writers lost interest and didn't want to write it any more. Sheppard's seeming connection to the Ancients - the little hints in Home, Sanctuary and all througout season 1 were all for nothing? Why, because the writers lost interest and wanted to write only about there pet subjects (which by mid season two was clearly McKay). And lest we forget introducing strange new plot devices (weakness in wraith technology anyone) and them promptly ignoring them. Because they wanted to write about other things.

Season 3 and we had Weir and Beckett get dumped. Again as we don't have a coherent explanation for that one we can only speculate but does anyone else think they might just have gotten bored of the characters. Again. (I say coherent but maybe I should say consistent as by my count there are at least a dozen different explanations that have been offered at one time or another by TPTB, and strangely none of them ever seem to bear any relation to any of the others).

Season 4 and 5 continued the trend. Viewers were crying out to see the wraith as the terrifying villain they had once been. What did we get. Replicators. Because the writers liked them. never mind the storyline (and the replicators) had been done to death on SG-1 but the writers liked them. Ditto for Keller. After the reaction to that character why was she promoted to a series regular (everyone remeber the howls of laughter that greeted the press release when they described her as a 'fan favourite' - I never saw the character described that way again!).

Then there were the cameos from SG-1 actors. All very nice but as I've said before, the SGA fans would probably have appreciated a little more emphasis on the characters they had tuned in to watch and not the ones the writers really liked.

Teyla as a character was abandoned round about season 2 (and I'm convinced that the only reason she wasn't dropped as well after Season 3 was that they couldn't get rid of the two female characters from the show so they retained the one they disliked least. I still wonder how long Teyla would have remained on the show had they gone on.

Now I know that writers cannot write just to please every little thing that the audience wants, of course they can't. However in the case of Atlantis they seemed to take every element that was working and decide that they didn't like it so wouldn't write it any more. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't cutting edge, it was just plain bad. The disconnect between the writers and the viewers by the end of Season 5 was so great that as much as I would have loved another season I sometimes wonder if perhaps they didn't actually do us a favour by ending the show when they did. heaven only knows what they would have given us in Season Six.
    Well I am not even gonna try and top this post. You pretty much nailed it how I see most of it. If it did indeed get a season 6 I couldn't see myself watching it. I would have stopped at season 5 and cut my losses, and went onto numerous other great shows out there. I mean it'd be a waste of my time watching a show that I was increasingly disliking.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RowenaR View Post
      Ever heard of something called "train wreck syndrome"? (that was kinda what Season 5 was for me... well, that and that I kept hoping it might get better... but strangely enough, it never did...)

Also, I'd green you, Arica15 if I could because you summed up pretty neatly what exactly went wrong over the seasons and how it could come to Season 5. Very well said.
      That's what I was hoping for when I was watching season 5. I kept thinking *this has to get better at some point* but it kept getting worse as the season went on
      sigpic

Comment

There really is no excused for Brain Storm. Yes the network may have asked for a 'green episode', but why is that an acceptable excuse for Brain Storm being terrible. I mean, was it really so far beyond them to come up with a plot reflecting green issues and make it both scifi and enjoyable?

Actually the more and more I think about it Brain Storm is a really could example of what went so badly wrong with Stargate Atlantis. It may just be me but what I take from the 'why was Brain Storm so bad' question and answer 'the network wanted us to do a green episode' is that the reason that it was as bad as it was was because the writers didn't want to do the episode and decided that if they couldn't get out of the story then they would fill it with what they really did want to write about (McKellar) and then shohorn a 'green' element round about the edges.

Why do I think this is representative of the season and show?

Quite simple. Brain Storm was not an anomaly, it was almost the final in a long line of similar decisions which damaged the show (I say almost the last, I think that 'honour' goes to Identity).

Look back to Season 1, they spent the entire year building up a plot line, isolation from earth, the growing threat of the wraith, Teyla's connection to the Wraith and then somewhere between season 1 and 2 the writers all seemed to have a massive brain storm (see what I did there!) and decided to chuck all that out the window.....why? Heaven only knows as I've yet to hear a coherent explanation. Instead we had a character dumped - for reasons that amde no sense either, Ford wasn't the best character ever written but he wasn't that bad at all - and his interesting new plot about wraith addiction and going alone in Pegasus just abandoned. Because the writers lost interest and didn't want to write it any more. Sheppard's seeming connection to the Ancients - the little hints in Home, Sanctuary and all througout season 1 were all for nothing? Why, because the writers lost interest and wanted to write only about there pet subjects (which by mid season two was clearly McKay). And lest we forget introducing strange new plot devices (weakness in wraith technology anyone) and them promptly ignoring them. Because they wanted to write about other things.

Season 3 and we had Weir and Beckett get dumped. Again as we don't have a coherent explanation for that one we can only speculate but does anyone else think they might just have gotten bored of the characters. Again. (I say coherent but maybe I should say consistent as by my count there are at least a dozen different explanations that have been offered at one time or another by TPTB, and strangely none of them ever seem to bear any relation to any of the others).

Season 4 and 5 continued the trend. Viewers were crying out to see the wraith as the terrifying villain they had once been. What did we get. Replicators. Because the writers liked them. never mind the storyline (and the replicators) had been done to death on SG-1 but the writers liked them. Ditto for Keller. After the reaction to that character why was she promoted to a series regular (everyone remeber the howls of laughter that greeted the press release when they described her as a 'fan favourite' - I never saw the character described that way again!).

Then there were the cameos from SG-1 actors. All very nice but as I've said before, the SGA fans would probably have appreciated a little more emphasis on the characters they had tuned in to watch and not the ones the writers really liked.

Teyla as a character was abandoned round about season 2 (and I'm convinced that the only reason she wasn't dropped as well after Season 3 was that they couldn't get rid of the two female characters from the show so they retained the one they disliked least. I still wonder how long Teyla would have remained on the show had they gone on.

Now I know that writers cannot write just to please every little thing that the audience wants, of course they can't. However in the case of Atlantis they seemed to take every element that was working and decide that they didn't like it so wouldn't write it any more. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't cutting edge, it was just plain bad. The disconnect between the writers and the viewers by the end of Season 5 was so great that as much as I would have loved another season I sometimes wonder if perhaps they didn't actually do us a favour by ending the show when they did. heaven only knows what they would have given us in Season Six.
        Reading this post really makes me wonder how SGA even lasted five seasons. Surely if things had been as bad as you say, it would have been canned after two or three seasons?
        Last edited by Jper; 23 August 2010, 11:38 AM.
        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

never forget: action sells.

TBH in SG1 SGA was set up as a story which did largely deal with Weir. even though they switched actresses, its weir there, in a position she never desired but did get.

TBH i think Carter never should've been there in S4, as though she's awesome, it's kinda like "add SG1, instant awesome". Woolsey should've been there as i liked his character and i kinda liked the way how he had to gain trust. i loved how the team initially treated him coldly and it changed. and i liked how he was so much like weir: always judging others and suddenly being there, in the leading position yourself.

i think Tori as a human/asuran "hybrid" was an interesting storyline never properly adressed. "oh lets make her a complete asuran". FAIL. i think her halfling status would've been very interesting in terms of asurans and asuran ascension. combining the obviously incredible power of the mind with the incredible power of nanites.

this would've made the Asurans much more interesting than just that evil guy out there for wrath.

on the other hand, i think we should've seen more of the internal wraith affairs. we aiding Todd to get more control over the situation, more of the Travellers (love those guys).

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
            Reading this post really makes me wonder how SGA even laster five seasons. Surely if things had been bad as you say, it would have been canned after two or three seasons?
            Why? Because very few people who complain are the loudest voices. It is like my business. 5% of my customers give me 95% of the headaches, lol. On the grand scale of things, if DVD sales and ratings were going up towards the end of the show it usually indicates people were into the show and it was finding new life. Just sayin.
            sigpic

Comment

In the final analysis, I think that's why they pulled the plug on the show... They didn't know what else to do with it. Season 5 is proof of that. For Atlantis to go on beyond season 5, a new set of writers and producers would have to take the reins, but I suspect that idea never crossed their minds
              sigpic

Comment

TBH Atlantis is in a galaxy that has allot of potential for stories, the only problem was, compared to SG-1 which is closer to home, that they couldnt make it believable anylonger, because everything ended up with a deux ex machina thing.

Comment

Reading this post really makes me wonder how SGA even lasted five seasons. Surely if things had been as bad as you say, it would have been canned after two or three seasons?

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  Why? Because very few people who complain are the loudest voices. It is like my business. 5% of my customers give me 95% of the headaches, lol. On the grand scale of things, if DVD sales and ratings were going up towards the end of the show it usually indicates people were into the show and it was finding new life. Just sayin.
                  It [the post you quoted] was supposed to be "ironic" or even "sarcastic"... (although it isn't supposed to be "offensive") Seems it didn't transfer in the words or on the screen. I agree with you. Especially the bolded part.
                  A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

It [the post you quoted] was supposed to be "ironic" or even "sarcastic"... (although it isn't supposed to be "offensive") Seems it didn't transfer in the words or on the screen. I agree with you. Especially the bolded part.
                    LOL, it's all good. I am not always sure if someone is kidding or whatnot.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      You may be right, but, as the show was cancelled it is unfortunately one of those things we will never have a certain answer on whether viewing figures would have improved or fallen to SGU levels (or lower).

And you'll note I was still watching the show, I wanted it to get better again. I still thought, even when the show was at it's worst, that they still had enough things going for it that they could have turned things around. There were a couple of really bad casting decisions later in the show but initially they had one of the best cast dynamics going. It was unfortunate that they decided to fix something that wasn't broken but at the core they still had a great cast, and it was nothing that a little imagination and the will to recapture the magic couldn't have fixed.

The storyline potential was as great in Season 5 as in Season 1, a potential that was never reached. From Atlantis itself to the wraith threat to the bloomin ancients themselves (another little rant I should have included in my last post, the writers stopped including ancient storylines because they got bored of them.................it's a good job I think bad language is uncouth.

I'll compare it to SGU for a moment, not because I have it in for SGU but because it's the best comparison I've got. I watched several of Season 1 of SGU, sometimes I enjoyed it, but overall the show left me cold, I don't care about the characters, I don't care about what they do to get themselves out of whichever sticky situation they've gotten themselves into. I find the stories dull and predictable. But most of all, I don't see the show changing into anything better. And that for me is the key difference with SGA, with SGU I look at it and think, it just ain't going to get any better than this and I stopped watching. I don't know what happened during the rest of the season and I don't really care to find out, same for season 2, because I don't believe it can get better and I'm not interested enough to find out. Even during Atlantis's lows (and some of them were as low as the Marianas trench) I always believed the show could be better.

Comment

In regards to the backlash over the whole "No Season 6 Thing" for SGA:

I think every show has its low points & high points & there will always be people upset that "this thing happened" or "that thing happened." The key is that they to just accept that the world doesn't revolve around them & try to find good things in every show (There is if you look.). Unfortunately people don't do this enough & next thing you know they're at each other's throats arguing over the dumbest things & you wonder, "What's gotten into them?"
                        Remember: Respect. Respect others & respect the filmmakers.
                        Last edited by syfygyrl; 23 August 2010, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I like season 5. It would have been even better without McKay/Keller through. Their relationship came out of the blue and just wasn't working.

Comment

I promised to also add the camera times... so here they are:

Spoiler:
                            Season 1
                            TOTAL TIME = 800m45s
                            AVERAGE TOT. SCREENTIME = 40m02s

JF/JS
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 252m08s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m42s

TH/EW
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 172m10s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 8m36s

RL/TE
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 129m29s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m30s

RSF/AF
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 112m44s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 5m38s

DH/RM
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 203m25s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 9m30s

CR/KH - Appeared in The Gift
                            Time = 6m44s

Season 2
                            TOTAL TIME = 837m57s
                            AVERAGE TOT. SCREENTIME = 41m54s

JF/JS
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 242m28s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m07s

Season 1 compared to season 2
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 252m08s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m42s

TH/EW
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 132m10s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 6m39s

TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 172m10s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 8m36s

RL/TE - Appears in 19/20 episodes
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 125m27s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m16s

TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 129m29s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m30s

JM/RD - Credited from Duet onwards
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 94m34s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 5m34s

PM/CB - Credited from Duet onwards
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME PAUL = 69m32s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME PAUL = 4m05s

DH/RM
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 226m15s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 11m19s

TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 203m25s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 9m30s

RSF/AF - Reduced to recurring
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 29m30s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 4m55s

CR/KH - Appeared in Duet and Michael
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME CLAIRE = 5m39s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME CLAIRE = 2m50s

Season 3
                            TOTAL TIME = 835m57s
                            AVERAGE TOT. SCREENTIME = 42m48s

JF/JS
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 253m14s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m41s

Season 2 compared to season 3
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 242m28s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m07s

TH/EW
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 175m04s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 8m45

TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 132m10s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 6m39s

RL/TE
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 130m41s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m32s

TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 125m27s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m16s

JM/RD
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 130m18s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 6m31s

TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 94m34s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 5m34s

PM/CB
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME PAUL = 83m52s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME PAUL = 4m12s

TOTAL SCREENTIME PAUL = 69m32s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME PAUL = 4m05s

DH/RM
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 246m43s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 12m20s

TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 226m15s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 11m19s

RSF/AF - Appeared in the Previously on Stargate Atlantis of Vengeance
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 00m02s

CR/KH - Appeared in Echoes
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME CLAIRE = 2m39s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME CLAIRE = 1m20s

Season 4
                            TOTAL TIME = 861m34s
                            AVERAGE TOT. SCREENTIME = 43m05s

JF/JS
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 282m44s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 14m08s

Season 3 compared to season 4
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 253m14s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m41s

AT/SC
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME AMANDA = 112m54s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME AMANDA = 5m39s

RL/TE
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 135m35s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m47s

TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 130m41s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m32s

JM/RD
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 137m22s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 6m52s

TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 130m18s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 6m31s

DH/RM
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 273m30s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 13m41s

TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 246m43s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 12m20s

TH/EW - Reduced to recurring
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 25m23s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 5m05s

PM/CB - Reduced to recurring
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME PAUL = 18m01
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME PAUL = 9m01s

CR/KH - Appeared in Doppelganger and the Previously on Stargate Atlantis of Spoils of War
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME CLAIRE = 2m56s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME CLAIRE = 1m28s

JS/JK - Recurring
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JEWEL = 106m05s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JEWEL = 8m10s

KELLER vs TEYLA

Keller appears in 13 out of 20 episodes as a recurring character, and collects a total amount of 106 minutes and 5 seconds of screentime,

which averages into 8 minutes and 10 seconds.

Teyla appears in 16 out of 20 episodes as a main character, and collects a total amount of 135 minutes and 35 seconds of screentime, which averages into 6 minutes and 47 seconds.

In total, with 3 episodes more, Teyla has 29 minutes and 30 seconds more of screentime, but has to give 1 minute and 23 seconds away in average to Keller, a recurring character still in season 4, who has 3 episodes less than the 16 of Teyla, who's credited in the opening credits as a main character.

Season 5
                            TOTAL TIME = 852m23s
                            AVERAGE TOT. SCREENTIME = 42m37s

JF/JS
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 247m03s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 12m21s

Season 4 compared to season 5
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JOE = 282m44s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JOE = 14m08s

RL/TE
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 121m53s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m06

TOTAL SCREENTIME RACHEL = 135m35s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RACHEL = 6m47s

JM/RD
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 116m49s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 5m50s

TOTAL SCREENTIME JASON = 137m22s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JASON = 6m52s

JS/JK
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JEWEL = 106m30s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JEWEL = 5m20s

Season 4 compared to season 5 - From recurring to main credits
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME JEWEL = 106m05s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME JEWEL = 8m10s

RP/RW
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME ROBERT = 105m52s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME ROBERT = 5m18s

DH/RM
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 248m03s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 12m24s

TOTAL SCREENTIME DAVID = 273m30s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME DAVID = 13m41s

PM/CB
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME PAUL = 37m51s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME PAUL = 8m12s

AT/SC - Reduced to recurring
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME AMANDA = 12m01s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME AMANDA = 2m24s

RSF/AF
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 00m54s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME RAINBOW = 00m18s

TH/EW
                            TOTAL SCREENTIME TORRI = 3m08s
                            AVERAGE SCREENTIME TORRI = 00m47s

KELLER vs TEYLA

Keller appears in 15 out of 20 episodes and collects a total amount of 106 minutes and 30 seconds of screentime, which averages into 5 minutes and 20 seconds.

Teyla appears in 16 out of 20 episodes and collects a total amount of 121 minutes and 53 seconds of screentime, which averages into 6 minutes and 6 seconds.

In total, with only 1 episode more, Teyla has 15 minutes and 23 seconds more of camera time than Keller, but only 46 seconds more in average than Keller.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by syfygyrl View Post
                                Wow!
                                Wow what?

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X