Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people have so much hate for season 5?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
    I'm gonna have to say that season 5 was the worst for Teyla (and in general for me). In season 3, she played a relatively decent part in a number of team oriented episodes (in comparison to season 5). I could go episode by episode that Teyla was in for both seasons and say why season 3 was better. Although, I'm still of the opinion that over all she needed better focus and development than what she got throughout the series. The only episode that Teyla was really featured in for season 5 was The Queen (and arguably S&R/DV), and that episode couldn't have happened if Submersion (Season 3 Ep.) was never made.

As for the "Teyla arc" in season 4, I'll just do a repost w/ minor additions to what I said about that on the "Why was Teyla underused" thread:

Of course, these are just my thoughts... I can understand if others disagree.

Cheers.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you I mean we had such awesome eps like Submersion and Vengeance in season 3

*wonders why we couldn't keep Ken Cuperus*
    sigpic

Comment

I got the impression that they tried out writing actual ships on Atlantis S5 as a test for SGU...which is something they shouldnt have done imho. Atlantis is not a testplatform.

Comment

They shouldn't write ships on Stargate period, unless it's space ships
        sigpic

Comment

that is SO greenworthy

i would've preferred more of the same we saw in the first seasons than something new.

and most of all, Teyla's a "superhuman", she has wraith powers. wouldn't it be awesome if she got a "tao of Rodney" type episode where Teyla has to deal with great power and great responsibility etc?
          Last edited by thekillman; 23 August 2010, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            that is SO greenworthy

i would've preferred more of the same we saw in the first seasons than something new.

and most of all, Teyla's a "superhuman", she has wraith powers. wouldn't it be awesome if she got a "tao of Rodney" type episode where Teyla has to deal with great power and great responsibility etc?
            I would have been happy for anyone that isn't Rodney to have one of those for a change

And Teyla lost her Wraith superpower in season 5
            sigpic

Comment

Obviously not too many people really hated the season since the ratings kept going up. When ratings go up and not down, it usally means people like what they are watching. Of course I am sure you don't see too many people watching stuff they hate, lol.

Whether something is good quality or not, is a totally different ballgame. I had to throw that in, because I know jelgate is lurking. lol.
              sigpic

Comment

I dont hate Season 5, I just thought they could have avoided some stuff and added more mysterious things to explore later.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
                  I dont hate Season 5, I just thought they could have avoided some stuff and added more mysterious things to explore later.
                  I agree. Instead of Inquisition, Brainstorm, and Identity, they could of used those spots for an episode arc. However Brainstorm was the network's doing. They were asked to do a Green episode.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    I agree. Instead of Inquisition, Brainstorm, and Identity, they could of used those spots for an episode arc. However Brainstorm was the network's doing. They were asked to do a Green episode.
                    Yeah but Shirley they could have come up with a better effort than Brain freeze....I mean Brain Storm
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                      Yeah but Shirley they could have come up with a better effort than Brain freeze....I mean Brain Storm
                      LOL, Mckay running around just wearing leaves from a tree? That would be green? lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                        How would you know? You don't even know what BrainStorm is about
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

SGA already is the greenest TV program out there with all the canadian forests and medieval villages on planets without major pollution

Comment

LOL, Mckay running around just wearing leaves from a tree? That would be green? lol.
                            Now that is scary

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            How would you know? You don't even know what BrainStorm is about
                            I took brain freeze watching this

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            SGA already is the greenest TV program out there with all the canadian forests and medieval villages on planets without major pollution
                            hmm, good point
                            sigpic

Comment

There really is no excused for Brain Storm. Yes the network may have asked for a 'green episode', but why is that an acceptable excuse for Brain Storm being terrible. I mean, was it really so far beyond them to come up with a plot reflecting green issues and make it both scifi and enjoyable?

Actually the more and more I think about it Brain Storm is a really could example of what went so badly wrong with Stargate Atlantis. It may just be me but what I take from the 'why was Brain Storm so bad' question and answer 'the network wanted us to do a green episode' is that the reason that it was as bad as it was was because the writers didn't want to do the episode and decided that if they couldn't get out of the story then they would fill it with what they really did want to write about (McKellar) and then shohorn a 'green' element round about the edges.

Why do I think this is representative of the season and show?

Quite simple. Brain Storm was not an anomaly, it was almost the final in a long line of similar decisions which damaged the show (I say almost the last, I think that 'honour' goes to Identity).

Look back to Season 1, they spent the entire year building up a plot line, isolation from earth, the growing threat of the wraith, Teyla's connection to the Wraith and then somewhere between season 1 and 2 the writers all seemed to have a massive brain storm (see what I did there!) and decided to chuck all that out the window.....why? Heaven only knows as I've yet to hear a coherent explanation. Instead we had a character dumped - for reasons that amde no sense either, Ford wasn't the best character ever written but he wasn't that bad at all - and his interesting new plot about wraith addiction and going alone in Pegasus just abandoned. Because the writers lost interest and didn't want to write it any more. Sheppard's seeming connection to the Ancients - the little hints in Home, Sanctuary and all througout season 1 were all for nothing? Why, because the writers lost interest and wanted to write only about there pet subjects (which by mid season two was clearly McKay). And lest we forget introducing strange new plot devices (weakness in wraith technology anyone) and them promptly ignoring them. Because they wanted to write about other things.

Season 3 and we had Weir and Beckett get dumped. Again as we don't have a coherent explanation for that one we can only speculate but does anyone else think they might just have gotten bored of the characters. Again. (I say coherent but maybe I should say consistent as by my count there are at least a dozen different explanations that have been offered at one time or another by TPTB, and strangely none of them ever seem to bear any relation to any of the others).

Season 4 and 5 continued the trend. Viewers were crying out to see the wraith as the terrifying villain they had once been. What did we get. Replicators. Because the writers liked them. never mind the storyline (and the replicators) had been done to death on SG-1 but the writers liked them. Ditto for Keller. After the reaction to that character why was she promoted to a series regular (everyone remeber the howls of laughter that greeted the press release when they described her as a 'fan favourite' - I never saw the character described that way again!).

Then there were the cameos from SG-1 actors. All very nice but as I've said before, the SGA fans would probably have appreciated a little more emphasis on the characters they had tuned in to watch and not the ones the writers really liked.

Teyla as a character was abandoned round about season 2 (and I'm convinced that the only reason she wasn't dropped as well after Season 3 was that they couldn't get rid of the two female characters from the show so they retained the one they disliked least. I still wonder how long Teyla would have remained on the show had they gone on.

Now I know that writers cannot write just to please every little thing that the audience wants, of course they can't. However in the case of Atlantis they seemed to take every element that was working and decide that they didn't like it so wouldn't write it any more. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't cutting edge, it was just plain bad. The disconnect between the writers and the viewers by the end of Season 5 was so great that as much as I would have loved another season I sometimes wonder if perhaps they didn't actually do us a favour by ending the show when they did. heaven only knows what they would have given us in Season Six.

Comment

Obviously not too many people really hated the season since the ratings kept going up. When ratings go up and not down, it usally means people like what they are watching. Of course I am sure you don't see too many people watching stuff they hate, lol.
                                Ever heard of something called "train wreck syndrome"? (that was kinda what Season 5 was for me... well, that and that I kept hoping it might get better... but strangely enough, it never did...)

Also, I'd green you, Arica15 if I could because you summed up pretty neatly what exactly went wrong over the seasons and how it could come to Season 5. Very well said.
                                I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
                                I will never accept defeat.
                                I will never quit.
                                I will never leave a fallen comrade.
                                ------
                                "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

Working...
                                X