Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get your SGA fix these days ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, nothing except rewatching old episodes (I have one in WMP in the background right now), really. Also, I follow the news on SGU here at Gateworld and very occasionally join in the forums. 'S about it.

Comment

Do you keep rewatching old eps or have you only come to the fandom recently - at the end?

I keep rewatching, and quite a lot, actually. In fact, I'll be taking my DVD's with me to my Greece holidays, so after lazy beach, sunny day, I'll have my SGA fix along with some good wine or beer next to it

Do you read or write fanfic?

I read fanfic ocassionaly. But still, fanfic is not the series. <.<

Do you hang out here to discuss episodes and lament that it's all over?

I do complain how bad idea it was to end the show. It still had a lot of unfinished storylines...

Do you make avatars/sigs/art and enter the LJ contests?

Guess I don't fo that...

Or perhaps you've found yourself drifting away from fandom to focus on something that's still alive?

Since I'm rather new to this 'fandom' thing, I can't say i'm drifting away. Both from fandom and from SGA.

Cpt. Jennifer J. Firali
      (soon to be host to Tok'ra Teal'auc )
      Member of SG-Aftermath RP group

Comment

My main SGA fix is having every episode on my ipod, but in audio version only. It's like listening to radio shows. I've done the same thing for SG-1. I've seen SG sooo many times that while I listen to the episodes at work or while driving, I can easily picture in my mind what is going on. I still watch random episodes now and then, but for the most part I listen to them on my ipod. Does that sound weird to anyone else, hope not, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          When I do a search for Kate Heightmeyer on FF.net the only stories that will pop up are my own.
          I still have a few prompts of my Fanfic100 claim open... maybe I can find one to slip Kate into

As for the questions:

Yes, I do rewatch episodes now and then (and I guess I'll buy S5 when it's finally out in Europe as well, just to have the whole series complete and because there were some episodes I really liked), mostly to keep up the right SGA feeling for writting fanfic... which answers that question as well, I guess.

Although as with Aragon101, I write more than I read but now and then I stumble over some very great stuff, both on ff.net and on LJ (although, to be honest, nowadays I mostly look out for Lorne and Lorne/Cadman stories *sighs).

Occasionally, I also find the time and inspiration to whip up a sig or some icons... although I really wish we'd get some new on-screen stuff but with the whole confusion about the SGA movie... I'm not quite sure that will ever happen.
          I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
          I will never accept defeat.
          I will never quit.
          I will never leave a fallen comrade.
          ------
          "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

Originally posted by RowenaR View Post
            I still have a few prompts of my Fanfic100 claim open... maybe I can find one to slip Kate into
            Sweet!

And Lorne/Cadman - love to read them too.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sweet!
              Can't make any promises... although I already have an idea. Not sure if you'd like the story... oh well, I'll just try my luck

And Lorne/Cadman - love to read them too.
              They just go BOOM No, seriously, writing them is fun, even though they never were seen on-screen together. But that's part of the appeal: You can do so much with them and still be in-canon in the big picture. Also perfect for post-Atlantis stories (since I still have to keep this post on-topic somehow ).
              I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
              I will never accept defeat.
              I will never quit.
              I will never leave a fallen comrade.
              ------
              "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

Can't make any promises... although I already have an idea. Not sure if you'd like the story... oh well, I'll just try my luck
                You just let your muse guide you, and if there happens to be any Kate just point me in the right direction (even if you kill her, doesn't matter).

They just go BOOM No, seriously, writing them is fun, even though they never were seen on-screen together. But that's part of the appeal: You can do so much with them and still be in-canon in the big picture. Also perfect for post-Atlantis stories (since I still have to keep this post on-topic somehow ).
                They absolutely do.

Comment

Heh, I'd never even thought of including Heightmeyer in any of my fics. Probably cos she shares my first name and that makes me uncomfortable

All my ff100 prompts are taken, I just need to write them all out. But I'm in longfic land at the moment

Currently, I'm getting my SGA fix by being mercilessly cruel to Rodney (as usual ) and hopefully with a nice bit of UST between him and Jennifer But I can't share at the mo as ff.net is broken *sigh*
                  McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
                    Heh, I'd never even thought of including Heightmeyer in any of my fics. Probably cos she shares my first name and that makes me uncomfortable

All my ff100 prompts are taken, I just need to write them all out. But I'm in longfic land at the moment

Currently, I'm getting my SGA fix by being mercilessly cruel to Rodney (as usual ) and hopefully with a nice bit of UST between him and Jennifer But I can't share at the mo as ff.net is broken *sigh*
                    Argh, i know the feeling. Rodney's getting a serious mental whump in my latest series and with the website down i can't post the latest part

i think you'd rather enjoy what's happening to him...

Comment

I've been trying to write some fan fiction but real life and the need for sleep get in the way...

I just recently got through the season five box set and all the features and commentaries (AND Children of The Gods 2.0) and I try to catch whatever reruns are on - couldn't watch the one that was on last night, though - it was "Irresistable," Bleeeeccchhhhh....

Comment

Do you keep rewatching old eps or have you only come to the fandom recently - at the end?

I will re watch episodes over and over again....SG-1 I have watched every ep of every season a minimum of 10 times same with SGA (Yes I have lots of free time on my hands)

No and No..because honestly some of the things people write is very irritable and a shame to stargate and some people do not know what spell check or proper English is

A bit

No...LJ Contest?
                        WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
                        Germany Chiefed Poland.
                        England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
                        England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
                        France got Chiefed.
                        Japan decided to scout America.
                        America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
                        America cut Japan to 90 pop.
                        Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
                        USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
                        Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
                        Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
                        USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
                        Hitler deleted his account...
                        USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

Originally posted by XxX_Kavan Smith_is_Mine_XxX View Post
                          No and No..because honestly some of the things people write is very irritable and a shame to stargate and some people do not know what spell check or proper English is
                          Yes, there's absolute junk out there. But there's also brilliant writing and very good stuff out there, that puts TPTB to shame.

And there's a rather large group for which English is not their native language. A beta in such cases is not a bad thing to have (even for native speakers a must sometimes) but even then stuff can go wrong. Or did you really think everyone knows their grammar and spelling perfectly?

Look around and see how many non-native speakers are in this place, and native speakers, and compare their English. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, sometimes it's as clear as day.

Comment

Been a kinda fan since the movie, it was okish, then SG1 again liked but for me SGA was the one that really hooked me an love it . I watch on average at least 1 or 2episodes a day of SGA, its my evening fix at around 8pm, at the moment only got the 4 box sets but season 5 on pre order so I'll soon be watching that 2. I never get bored of SGA, but sadly SG1 I just cant bring myself to watch anymore just gotten so bored with it now, its on a continuous loop with Sky1 an never stops, they did used to have SGA on too an I would always watch that at 7pm an I'm so sad that if I was still up at midnight i watched the repeated ep as well .

Love fan fic only found out about this year after finding forums etc.. now signed up to a few groups an get regular updates for new stories or chapters for ongoing stories, some of it is great, some so so, so I'm quite picky at what I read but the ones I signed up to so far havent disppointed, but dont write any myself no. Also have read most of the SGA books apart from 3 that are still out of print, though I try to get then, boy do I keep trying, hopefully one day Also have all the new books due on pre order an cant wait. An if the graphic novels turn out to be good, I might have to check them out to, still not sure about comics but its worth checking into. This is the only way now to get new SGA stories.

Sadly yes, though not here so much, joined a couple appreciation groups on yahoo an a couple off other forums, where the subject is often covered . At least its a way to vent an let of steam at the axing . Only really check out here now an again mainly for any SGA movie news etc..

No, wouldn’t know how to make avatars or art an don’t know what LJ contests are.

Or perhaps you've found yourself drifting away from fandom to focus on something that's still alive?

Drifting away from the franchise GOD YES but drifting away from SGA GOD NO so no not really I guess unless you count Harry Potter which is awesome an I have been a fan of for a while now books an films, but TV wise as there is nothing on or coming up that has really grabbed my interest expect maybe Warehouse 13 oh not forgetting the new Star Trek movie which I liked, but I do like an watch Chuck now an there’s been a promo for Legend of the Seeker which starts next week on sci fi uk so I’ll check that out . But that’s about all new stuff as such, I just seem to end up watching loads of repeats of old shows that have already been axed an sadly cant see that changing any time soon in the future, with the lack anything new & inspiring coming up IMHO. Sorry SGU may the next show but I dont even count that as interesting or worthy of being checked out as its just not SGA therefore not for me couldnt give a toss sorry, I think I'll stick to repeats of SGA an other old sci fi shows an classics.

ps just watched a 30min special for Legend of Seeker an WOW WOW an WOW, now this looks really great, for the first time in ages I am actually looking forward to a new show, boy this looks like it knocks SGU out of the ball park, very lord of the rings type, an a real hero in it "ha ha" really really really hope they havent just showed all the best bits though. Now only if I had SGA to watch as well, I'd so be a happy bunny.
                            Last edited by Atlantis Rocks; 09 August 2009, 10:10 AM. Reason: Added comment
                            Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Yes, there's absolute junk out there. But there's also brilliant writing and very good stuff out there, that puts TPTB to shame.

And there's a rather large group for which English is not their native language. A beta in such cases is not a bad thing to have (even for native speakers a must sometimes) but even then stuff can go wrong. Or did you really think everyone knows their grammar and spelling perfectly?
                              I have yet to come across some fan-fic that I actually think would put TPTB to shame...I agree there's good stuff out there but I haven't read everything so I still have to find some......

And No I don't think that that everyone knows their grammar and spelling perfectly...but honestly for people who actually have spell check should use it...
                              WHAT REALLY HAPPENED IN WW2!

Spoiler:
                              Germany Chiefed Poland.
                              England broke their NAP with Germany because Poland was their ally.
                              England and its allies defend from German attacks, but suffer heavy losses as Germany has level 10 rams.
                              France got Chiefed.
                              Japan decided to scout America.
                              America got pissed off, and sent a couple waves with 10k Imperians at them, with 1k catapults for sh!ts & giggles.
                              America cut Japan to 90 pop.
                              Germany sends a Chieftain Train at the USSR, gets loyalty down to 1.
                              USSR builds up troops with their lvl 20 resources and lvl 20 barracks before the Chieftains can hit again. Walls go back up to level 20. German Chiefs were all destroyed.
                              Germany just keeps sending troops although it's clear they cannot take USSR.
                              Eventually troops run out since USSR can produce them faster.
                              USSR, Britain and the USA simultaneously hit Germany with their own Chieftains, and Chiefs.
                              Hitler deleted his account...
                              USSR, change their name to Russia...

Comment

Originally posted by XxX_Kavan Smith_is_Mine_XxX View Post

I just skip over those ones to get to the good stuff There is a lot of dreck, but there are also some brilliant stories out there You can instantly tell a poor story on www.fanfiction.net by the number of typos and grammar errors in the summary
                                Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
                                No, wouldn’t know how to make avatars or art an don’t know what LJ contests are.
                                No...LJ Contest?
                                LJ = LiveJournal. I've changed this in the original post now
                                McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Working...
                                X