Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get your SGA fix these days ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two dimensional shallow space battles and characterisation. With the exception of S1 and 5.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      Two dimensional shallow space battles and characterisation. With the exception of S1 and 5.
      I think you misunderstood the question... This is where you tell us what you do to keep your SGA fandom going (see first post)

I suppose not watching S2-4 is what you do...

EDIT: Hmm, it won't let me change the thread title for some reason
      McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
        I think you misunderstood the question... This is where you tell us what you do to keep your SGA fandom going (see first post)

I suppose not watching S2-4 is what you do...
        Beg your pardon. Was just answering the question.

I dunno, I watched ALL of SGA loyally, but I've tried rewatching and I'm just finding it difficult to be honest. Shep is continually getting on my nerves, Teyla and Weir (who I've never liked) bug me even more.....

S4 certainly had some redeeming features - Carter being one of them, which is odd, because she came to SGA at a time when I was fed up of the character in S9 and 10 of SG1.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Beg your pardon. Was just answering the question.
          That's okay, it's not very clear! I'm trying to get it changed but it might be a mod thing.
          I dunno, I watched ALL of SGA loyally, but I've tried rewatching and I'm just finding it difficult to be honest. Shep is continually getting on my nerves, Teyla and Weir (who I've never liked) bug me even more.....

S4 certainly had some redeeming features - Carter being one of them, which is odd, because she came to SGA at a time when I was fed up of the character in S9 and 10 of SG1.
          I very rarely watch any episodes now, although I'll be getting Season 5 when it comes out on DVD next Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing that in full screen/clarity.

I mostly just read and write fic these days as then I can choose the characters and genres I like (ie Rodney centric whump ) The replacement of SGA with fic seems to be frowned upon. As it didn't go down too well when I suggested it in another thread the other day... what else is there to do though?

Comment

I don't I don't need a fix for this poor excuse for a TV show *hugs SG-1 DVD's*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
              I don't I don't need a fix for this poor excuse for a TV show *hugs SG-1 DVD's*
              That's interesting, but if you don't like it, what's bringing you to the SGA threads?

Comment

That's interesting, but if you don't like it, what's bringing you to the SGA threads?
                Silly me. I didn't know you had to be satsified with the final result to post in SGA threads or be considered a fan
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I'll go with your questions:

Do you keep rewatching old eps or have you only come to the fandom recently - at the end?

I did a rewatch when I was counting screentime and words, which means I'm in no hurry whatsoever to rewatch any of the episodes any time soon. However, there are a few episodes I go back to once in a while like The Gift (seen that one the most of all) and Echoes. I don't own season 4 on DVD, and won't buy season 5 either.

I'm a fan of season 1 to 3, everything after that is AU.

And I've been a longtime fan of the Stargate franchise.

Do you read or write fanfic?

Yes, and yes.

I just recently (halfway through July) finished and posted my latest SGA fic, which was a Doppelganger fix-it AU type fic. I will read anything as long as my favorite character is in it, which means I have very little to read other than what I write myself. I kid you not. When I do a search for Kate Heightmeyer on FF.net the only stories that will pop up are my own.

Luckily there are several communities on LJ that have the ladies as main players, and I own one myself that focuses solely on the Secondary Ladies (where regular becomes recurring, and recurring becomes regular).

No, I do read other stories, but mostly only those that come highly recommended by other people (so I look at reviews first) and/or are authors that I know to write very well.

Do you hang out here to discuss episodes and lament that it's all over?

I have been bouncing around GW since 2004 and I am not gone yet. I have made many friends, and a few enemies here. I've had oodles of fun, and I will still have oodles of fun more in the days to come, whether that be in discussions about Atlantis or about my favorite characters I don't know.

There's no need for me to lament on the loss of SGA - I welcomed the cancellation with open arms. I was more saddened by the loss of the spirit of season 1 to 3, than I was by the whole. Besides, I'm an avid anti-season 4/5-er... Can't lament what you hated.

Do you make avatars/sigs/art and enter the LJ contests?

Don't do contests - they only exist as popularity contests.

I do make art, either for myself or because friends ask for it. I'll create when I feel it will make a difference in someone's life or if it's part of a thon (ficathon and the likes). I don't go on mindless icon-making sprees just to show how much I love Claire Rankin ... wait, I do sometimes... never mind.

Or perhaps you've found yourself drifting away from fandom to focus on something that's still alive?

Have been drifting since the beginning of season 4 and way before too... Doctor Who, Torchwood, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (cancelled too which saddened me greatly), Eureka, Sanctuary, Dollhouse, Army Wives, ...
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Silly me. I didn't know you had to be satsified with the final result to post in SGA threads or be considered a fan
                    I thought a 'fan' was defined as someone who likes something. It implied a dislike for the whole of SGA. It's not about the final result anyway... it's about the whole of the SGA fandom. Anyway, this thread is about what you do now. If you're still posting here you must miss it a little bit?

Just a teeny weeny tiny bit?

Comment

I thought a 'fan' was defined as someone who likes something.
                      As a fan you have a mind of your own too, to decide whether you like something or hate/dislike it. It's not obligatory to like everything that you see.

I hate/dislike greatly McKay, but love Heightmeyer. And I'm still a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        As a fan you have a mind of your own too, to decide whether you like something or hate/dislike it. It's not obligatory to like everything that you see.
                        Hmm, well I'm solely a Rodney fan, but I don't like his romantic side *OOC*
                        I hate/dislike greatly McKay, but love Heightmeyer. And I'm still a fan.
                        I suppose I've never really thought about it *ponders* That's probably why I'm so selective with my fics and the episodes I watch/skip. *Takes 'Grace Under Pressure' for one more spin* skips over 'Missing'

I put some of the episodes on my iPod to kill time on the commute. More entertaining than SuDoku and less brain hurting early in the morning too!

Comment

Hmm, well I'm solely a Rodney fan, but I don't like his romantic side *OOC*
                          There you go.

I suppose I've never really thought about it *ponders* That's probably why I'm so selective with my fics and the episodes I watch/skip.
                          I think most of us are that way.

I put some of the episodes on my iPod to kill time on the commute. More entertaining than SuDoku and less brain hurting early in the morning too!
                          SGA definitely over Sudoku... I completely agree.

Comment

Do you keep rewatching old eps or have you only come to the fandom recently - at the end? I watch an episode or two now and then. I'm forcing myself to watch Season 5 although i have to wait for my PVR to tape the whole thing. I've watced it faithfully till Search and Rescue and then with Woolsey i just went blah.

Do you read or write fanfic?
                            Both, but typically i write more than i read. There are some VERY good fanfics out there that flesh out th characters MUCH more and in greater detail than any of the canon episodes i'm sad to say. Then again, there are MANY fanfics out there that make me cringe with fear.

Do you hang out here to discuss episodes and lament that it's all over? Not really... i'll state my opinion and defend it, but other than that it's already done and over with so i tend to stick to the Fanfic side of things.

Do you make avatars/sigs/art and enter the LJ contests? I've considered making a sig. Might do one this week. I loath LJ so i'll only ever go on if a fanfic i'm interested in is there.

Or perhaps you've found yourself drifting away from fandom to focus on something that's still alive? Well i hardly watch TV anymore. my PVR tapes shows i want to watch and then i'll watch em if i get teh chance

This being said, in responce to your fanfic comment. it boils down to why should we have to look for character moments in fanfic? Isn't that what the show was supposed to do? Fanfic is NOT Canon. it's frustrating to see one character get focused on while others are pretty much forgotten. Fanfic DOES have great elements and some damn cool stories... but the TPTB didn't spend millions of dollars producing it, and the actor themselves aren't playing the part. It's an unofficial extra that may or may not be true to the character as TPTB see it. Frankly i felt slighted when you said (Paraphrasing) "Oh just go to Fanfic for your characters"

Here's my point, i dislike McKeller on screen, but your fanfic does it MUCH better! I diferentiate between fanfic and canon! I can't base my opinion on the SHOW based on what a FAN wrote!

Originally posted by Teal'c_PI View Post
                            Anyhow, sometimes I do watch some episodes of it, but mostly I write. Currently I've come up with rundowns of 40 episodes--20 for Season 6 and 20 for Season 7. Haven't exactly written them out yet, unfortunately, but I still enjoy figuring out how I'm going to complete unfinished storylines from Seasons 1-5, or how I'm going to tweak annoying storylines from said seasons.

Ohh i'd love to see what you've come up with. i love fleshing out details ^_^

Comment

I don't spend as much time as I used to in the SGA threads. I go into the John/Teyla threads because i've made some very good friends in there I go into the Rachel/Teyla threads because even though i've stopped watching SGA i'll still support Rachel

I go into the S5 Critique thread to air my grievances about the show, and I love to have a little rant at times

Other threads I go into is mainly just to offer my opinion on certain subjects *shrugs*

I stopped watching the show, I stopped reading fics, I can't do artwork of SGA. It may be temporary, it may not be, only time will tell but at this omoent in time I have no desire to watch any more SGA or to read any fics. It's just the way I feel *shrugs*
                              sigpic

Comment

I watch old eps and visit on here and i am always in the mood to set up my figures and mess around. I really need to do something serious lol
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X