Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did TPTB focus on McKay (and McKeller) destroy Stargate Atlantis in your opinion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    I do admit Rodney does seem to die more often than other characters... but I'm sure if we tallied it out him and some other characters (Shep especially) would be more or less even.

But i really do think the character is an integral part of the team as he was originally introduced to us as where science goes without morals and he's developed into a whole person.
    Sure he's an integral part of the team. As the others should have been but in the end it became stargate McKay, it was all about McKay, even Shep got kinda sidelined in S5
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
      I completely agree with the bolded portion. Sheppard was the character new to the SG program. It was through his eyes we first approached the expedition. We followed him as he discovered Atlantis and went on that first mission to Athos. It was Sheppard's story, with an ensemble around him.

That all became distorted when they decided to focus on the wacky scientist.

You're so right about the Urkel factor. That's exactly what happened with McKay

He was an important part of the team. That's the key. He was only part of the team in the beginning. It was when everything started to center around McKay that the show lost its way.

and unlike those other shows it wasn't the audience telling the writers "give us more of Urkle, the fonz etc"..., it was the writers telling the audience "you will get more mckay." (then complaining when the audience didn't like their "fave boy".)

Shep was supposed to be the lead, he had the lead role, credit , etc.... how they decided to make mckay so important is what ruined the show for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
        and unlike those other shows it wasn't the audience telling the writers "give us more of Urkle, the fonz etc"..., it was the writers telling the audience "you will get more mckay." (then complaining when the audience didn't like their "fave boy".)

Shep was supposed to be the lead, he had the lead role, credit , etc.... how they decided to make mckay so important is what ruined the show for me.
        I don't like being force fed something I can't stand
        sigpic

Comment

I suppose there's an issue with too much McKay, but I think it's overstated by alot of people. For one thing, I don't think Atlantis was destroyed. I've liked ALL of the seasons. I agree with those who say that the show was best in season 1, but right now I'm thoroughly enjoying season 5. Come on, why concentrate on the bad stuff when there's lots of good stuff to enjoy about Stargate!

Secondly, it's not like other people never got an episode. Yes, Sheppard and McKay got more focus than the others, but so did Jack and Daniel throughout most of SG-1. Why is that? Frankly, I think it's because most people think those are the best characters. It's not like the writers are trying to write badly for Teyla or Ronon, it's just that sometimes one character works better than another.

Like others, I DO cringe when thinking of McKeller, so I was tempted to vote "yes", but there are so many good things about this show that I'd say no overall.
          "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
          "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

I voted no because the question implies that removing the McKay Keller relationship or McKay overemphasis, would be all that would be needed to "save" the show.

There were honestly much bigger problems to address than one poorly developed and unecessary relationship arc.

Comment

Part of the thing here is this- every casual fan I talk to says McKay or Sheppard are there favorite character. Any poll here or anywhere else about your favorite character, Sheppard or McKay will win. I know a number of people think that McKay was crammed down people's throats even though noone liked him, but the truth is that (especially early on) McKay and Sheppard are the two most popular characters by far. Jack and Daniel got the same sort of attention for the first five seasons of SG-1, the difference is that Daniel ascended for a year and Jack played less and less of a major role.

Now, McKeller on the other hand is something most people dislike, and I think it was carammed down people's throats a bit. For it to "destroy" the show, that's going a bit far imo.

Comment

Originally posted by A_PophisandhisFran View Post
                Part of the thing here is this- every casual fan I talk to says McKay or Sheppard are there favorite character. Any poll here or anywhere else about your favorite character, Sheppard or McKay will win. I know a number of people think that McKay was crammed down people's throats even though noone liked him, but the truth is that (especially early on) McKay and Sheppard are the two most popular characters by far. Jack and Daniel got the same sort of attention for the first five seasons of SG-1, the difference is that Daniel ascended for a year and Jack played less and less of a major role.

Now, McKeller on the other hand is something most people dislike, and I think it was carammed down people's throats a bit. For it to "destroy" the show, that's going a bit far imo.
                I think the important distinction here is "McKay or Sheppard are their favorite character." At least in my case, it matters a great deal. I've always loved Sheppard and enjoyed his interaction with a wide variety of characters (season one). I enjoyed McKay in limited doses. As part of the team he was great. As a maiin focus of the show and the primary character Sheppard was permitted to interact with, he was a major annoyance and seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the show.

It's a bit like sitting down to a bowl of ice cream and toppings. Someone notices that the nuts are a hit, so each time I order a bowl there are more and more nuts on it and less and less chocolate sauce.. Eventually all I've got is a bowl of nuts with a tiny dab of ice cream somewhere at the bottom. It's all about proportion.

Comment

It's a bit like sitting down to a bowl of ice cream and toppings. Someone notices that the nuts are a hit, so each time I order a bowl there are more and more nuts on it and less and less chocolate sauce.. Eventually all I've got is a bowl of nuts with a tiny dab of ice cream somewhere at the bottom. It's all about proportion.
                  "Sometimes you feel like a nut.... sometimes you don't!"
                  sigpic

Comment

Of course, you might have a nut allergy, and not want any nuts ever *ugh* and have a mild chocolate sauce addiction and want moar chocolate. Or you might have a caffeine allergy and have to avoid the chocolate sauce, but love the nuts and like the fact that there's more and more each time. But in general one man's nuts are another man's chocolate sauce. Or something.

I think I had a point when I started typing. I *think*...

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post
                      Of course, you might have a nut allergy, and not want any nuts ever *ugh* and have a mild chocolate sauce addiction and want moar chocolate. Or you might have a caffeine allergy and have to avoid the chocolate sauce, but love the nuts and like the fact that there's more and more each time. But in general one man's nuts are another man's chocolate sauce. Or something.

That sounds so wrong on so many levels

As for this whole Rodney is most people's favourite character. Well we'll never truly know if that's actually the case but it doesn't bode well for those of us that can't stand him When all we get is a little snippet of our favourite character every now and then and we have to sit through McKay babbling and whining till we get to characters we actually like
                      sigpic

Comment

There's no accounting for taste?
                        you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                          "Sometimes you feel like a nut.... sometimes you don't!"
                          Exactly

Ouch. My head hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by A_PophisandhisFran View Post

Oh, someone up there^^ made my point much better and funnier than I could. But a large part of SGA for me is the friendships. Those were largely forgotten about in Season 5. It didn't look to me as if the team even liked each other as they were standing on that balcony at the end of EatG. It was like a bunch of strangers who happened to be at the same place.
                            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                              Oh, someone up there^^ made my point much better and funnier than I could. But a large part of SGA for me is the friendships. Those were largely forgotten about in Season 5. It didn't look to me as if the team even liked each other as they were standing on that balcony at the end of EatG. It was like a bunch of strangers who happened to be at the same place.
                              Well we had Rodney and Keller shuffled off to the side, John and Teyla standing there like stautes, Ronon standing next to his out of thin air girlfriend, Woolsey and Carson at the other end
                              sigpic

Comment

I've only seen three episodes of season 5 so far (I enjoyed them all), and I don't see too much of McKay at all so far, none of the episodes focused on him! So when does the extra McKay focus start? I agree that McKay is often focused on (and that it must stink to be one of those who dislike him), but I haven't seen it being especially different this season than in any of the other seasons (again, I'm very early in).

Comment

Working...
                                X