Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did TPTB focus on McKay (and McKeller) destroy Stargate Atlantis in your opinion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
    Rodney and Katie *WERE* in a relationship!

He was going to ask her to marry him!

So Rodney and Keller ARE not *that* special!!
    And then he's in love with Keller the wonder doctor, geez talk about falling in love easy
    sigpic

Comment

But it's Keller.......Duh!

Ronon wanted her
      Vega wanted her

Everybody wants her! *eyeroll*
      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
        But it's Keller.......Duh!

Ronon wanted her
        Vega wanted her

Everybody wants her! *eyeroll*
        Teyla didn't
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
          And then he's in love with Keller the wonder doctor, geez talk about falling in love easy
          Marriage does not mean he loved Katie.
          Teyla didn't
          Teyla isn't a lesbien last I checked
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Marriage does not mean he loved Katie.
            it doooooooooooesnnnnnnnnnnnn't *iz crushed*

Teyla isn't a lesbien last I checked
            And thank goodness for small mercies Ande if she was little Lemming would tell you she belongs to Kate
            sigpic

Comment

I've never cared about those two. SGA died(for me) when they made a contact with Earth
              Stolen Kosovo
              sigpic

Comment

it doooooooooooesnnnnnnnnnnnn't *iz crushed*
                Why do you think half of them end in divorce?

And thank goodness for small mercies Ande if she was little Lemming would tell you she belongs to Kate
                We all know about FH's idosynchries
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Why do you think half of them end in divorce?

We all know about FH's idosynchries
                  Good point

oooooohhhhh wait till she gets back
                  sigpic

Comment

Pfft. I've dealt with worse like watching McKeller for example
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Pfft. I've dealt with worse like watching McKeller for example
                      hmmmm.......good point.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't think the focus on McKay or McKeller destroyed Atlantis, but it certainly was a major contributing factor that led to the decline in enjoyment of the series over the last two seasons.

For me there were a variety of reasons that led to the downfall of the show (i won't list them here as there are plenty of topics already for this) and this was just another one of them. So on its own it did not destroy, but certainly added to the snowball effect.
                        sigpic

Comment

No. It didn't. And whoa, reading some of your comments makes me really very angry indeed... McKay's a lead character, of course he's going to be in every episode!

If you look down the season 5 episode list you'll see that Rodney had one episode focused on him (The Shrine) just like all the other leads. There was only one blatantly McKeller episode (Brain Storm) and, again, Keller is a lead character. It's to be expected that's she's in the episodes!

I think you're all looking for something to blame for the downfall of Atlantis and McKay/McKeller are an easy target.

I agree that it was probably a combination of things which ended SGA - wasn't the cancellation announced before Season 5 even finished airing though? I think TPTB just wanted to move onto new things
                          McKAY: Hey, I can eat frozen dinners without thawing them. (~Trinity)

Comment

Originally posted by x Varda x View Post
                            No. It didn't. And whoa, reading some of your comments makes me really very angry indeed... McKay's a lead character, of course he's going to be in every episode!

If you look down the season 5 episode list you'll see that Rodney had one episode focused on him (The Shrine) just like all the other leads. There was only one blatantly McKeller episode (Brain Storm) and, again, Keller is a lead character. It's to be expected that's she's in the episodes!
                            McKay was in every single episode and had a lions share of the screentime in each one... Teyla and Ronon are also main characters and were missing completely from serveral episodes and had a mere few sentences in others.. Keller became part of the main cast but since when was she a lead character and why did she get more screentime than both Ronon and Teyla combined..

I think you're all looking for something to blame for the downfall of Atlantis and McKay/McKeller are an easy target.
                            It's not a matter of looking for something to blame its a fact that McKay was the ptb favourite character and the only arc of the season was getting McKay his happy ever after .... the ptb obsession with ONE character is what led to the downfall of SGA.. they put no effort into developing anyone else... not even Sheppard, so how could this have lead to an interesting and balanced show.. especially for those fans who were interested in other characters besides McKay..

I agree that it was probably a combination of things which ended SGA - wasn't the cancellation announced before Season 5 even finished airing though? I think TPTB just wanted to move onto new things
                            It was the fact that the writers hadnt a clue what to do with most of their cast....and became bored with their latest incarnation of Stargate... so much so that they had to bring in a new character to concentrate on and to give them new ideas ...and they came up with such reviting ideas as Keller being in peril and running through the forest... whilst Ronon and Teyla had their one token ep and were then put back into obscurity.... even JF said that he loved Vegas because he didnt really get anything to do all season and was delighted for Sheppard to actually get something to do.. for the lead of the show to say he didnt get much to do shows how much of a problem lay with the writers obsession on one character.. I would say that went a long way to the dissatisfaction with the show and the declining interest in season 5.. if you werent a fan of McKay there really wasnt a lot to keep your interest..
                            I also agree that it was the declining interest by the ptb as well that lead to the decline of the show..it was clear that they were no longer interested in SGA and that their attention was focused on their new project SGU..
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah tptb love for Mckay was a great problem IMO.

McKeller too but personnally. I wasn't really bothered by McKeller until they focus their time only on this and totally forgot the reason why I watched the show, i.e. the main four.
                              Keller was made a regular yeah, but as a replacement of Carson and both never were main lead. I never saw the point of developing so much Keller, IMO she had less place than Woolsey who was a regular but not a lead character and never was treated like that.
                              But the treatment of Keller wasn't much my problem, the treatment of the other characters in consequences yes. I can't believe they wasted one ep as Brain Storm, while they knew the serie ended and didn't developed a team bonding. This is particularly irritating when you know how much tptb was against ships. (I won't complain I wasn't a Sam/Jack fan, but I feel even more cheated for them).

So clearly Brain Storm was the ep that made me stop watching SGA (if in my country there had been a diffusion on TV I'd have probably finished watching S5 but would have been disapointed nevertheless).

But what destroyed Atlantis for me was McKay's treatment. He was my second favourite (I know it's stupid to say it like that but i prefered Teyla and McKay was second). They could have worked team bonding, I would have so loved a McKay/Teyla ep. But in the end I think I'm disappointed with the way they took it and the great breakdown n my love of McKay was Quarantine. tptb never took time to develop other characters and they broke the one that they made. Of course he was the only one to suffer because he was the only one for who the writers made their job, 'Write for him'.

On this point I will agree with g.o.d. Yeah Atlantis was destroyed too because they took contact again with earth. They should have lived a new life, with focus on the aliens. It's what I was waiting for. Besides they had 2 great aliens to work with. But the authors only made a pro earthly-earth serie with Atlantis respecting the way of life of their conquistadors. I didn't care to see Teyla and Ronon reaction to TV. You have a lot of things like this in books or in scifi series. No I wanted imagination and new way of life.

But the temptation to see a mediocre man from Earth interact in another universe and impose himself was perhaps the incarnation of tptb dreams. If McKay could do it, tptb (that McKay stood for) could too
                              sigpic
                              Sig by the Great Linda06

Comment

I AM a huge fan of Rodney, but even *I* was getting tired of tptb's obsession with him!

Then Keller shows up and let the love fest get going..*eyeroll* (we never stood chance)

Then add the Rodney and Keller pair shake and add bile and you have the *ULTIMATE* way to alienate your fanbase!

So many people dislike what TPTB did with the show and to a lot of people blame TPTB's and so we should!
                                Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Working...
                                X