Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did TPTB focus on McKay (and McKeller) destroy Stargate Atlantis in your opinion.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA was destroyed?

:: looks around ::

(aka....No.)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      SGA was destroyed?

:: looks around ::

(aka....No.)
      Destroyed is maybe too strong a word, but it was lessened. IMO of course.
      sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

What was wrong with having McKay in the lost tribe? McKay is the foremost expert in the Pegasus on Ancient Tech, so why wouldn't it make sense to have him in the lab with a whole bunch of ancient equipment? Sheppard got lots of screentime too. If this is a thread about complaining about too much screen-time for McKay, i personally enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
          Destroyed is maybe too strong a word, but it was lessened. IMO of course.
          I think an argument can be made against it having been lessened as well.

Surely SGA would have been a different beast altogether if TPTB had focused on Ronon instead, or on Teyla, or Weir. Instead they focused on McKay and Sheppard, the show ran for five years, then was canceled to make way for a new Stargate incarnation.

I'm not saying the show was perfect, a cinematic masterpiece, or even that it was one of the better shows out there. It had its issues and its missteps. It had its bad episodes and it's mediocre ones, but it also had great moments.

It's "badness" or "lessening" I don't think can be attributed solely to the focus on McKay. There was bad writing, lack of continuity, stupid story lines and storytelling, and sometimes a downright lack of creativity. Female characters were often written poorly and TPTB seemed to be at a loss with what to do with it's females leads.

So if there's an argument to be made for a "lessening" or "destruction" of SGA, the crux of the matter doesn't lie with the focus on McKay because that was merely a symptom of a grander problem.

In my opinion, of course.
          sigpic

Comment

I think an argument can be made against it having been lessened as well.

Surely SGA would have been a different beast altogether if TPTB had focused on Ronon instead, or on Teyla, or Weir. Instead they focused on McKay and Sheppard, the show ran for five years, then was canceled to make way for a new Stargate incarnation.

I'm not saying the show was perfect, a cinematic masterpiece, or even that it was one of the better shows out there. It had its issues and its missteps. It had its bad episodes and it's mediocre ones, but it also had great moments.

It's "badness" or "lessening" I don't think can be attributed solely to the focus on McKay. There was bad writing, lack of continuity, stupid story lines and storytelling, and sometimes a downright lack of creativity. Female characters were often written poorly and TPTB seemed to be at a loss with what to do with it's females leads.

So if there's an argument to be made for a "lessening" or "destruction" of SGA, the crux of the matter doesn't lie with the focus on McKay because that was merely a symptom of a grander problem.

I agree with all of that. I do. I even like Rodney. But I think that it needed to be a balance of the characters like it was in seasons 1 -3. I don't know which is the symptom or the disease, but the focus on one character was what was visible. IMO.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree with all of that. I do. I even like Rodney. But I think that it needed to be a balance of the characters like it was in seasons 1 -3. I don't know which is the symptom or the disease, but the focus on one character was what was visible. IMO.
              Thing is, I don't think even seasons 1-3 had a balance on character development. I think the bias towards McKay and Sheppard was evident even then.
              sigpic

Comment

I can't green you, so I'll give you an

You bring up several good points. The focus on McKay was definitely not the only problem, and IMO, not even the biggest problem. The lack of continuity that you mentioned, and the problem with female characters are both bigger problems for me.
                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Thing is, I don't think even seasons 1-3 had a balance on character development. I think the bias towards McKay and Sheppard was evident even then.
                  It was starting to be evident. Especially after season 1. Really, I think that was the only one with a truer balance.
                  sigpic

Comment

It was starting to be evident. Especially after season 1. Really, I think that was the only one with a truer balance.
                    Even S1 had an inproper balance. Notice how we learned nothing about Ford and Teyla was still below the amount that Sheppherd and McKay got in S1.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Even S1 had an inproper balance. Notice how we learned nothing about Ford and Teyla was still below the amount that Sheppherd and McKay got in S1.
                      Yeah, but Teyla was around a lot more. She was allowed to contribute and offer solutions. Not so much in any of the later seasons.

And while I liked Ford, he kinda started out where everyone ended up. Looking pretty, a couple of good lines but no real substance.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but Teyla was around a lot more. She was allowed to contribute and offer solutions. Not so much in any of the later seasons.

And while I liked Ford, he kinda started out where everyone ended up. Looking pretty, a couple of good lines but no real substance.
                        Yeah, I agree with that. Season one was infinitely more well-rounded than subsequent seasons. Not perfect because every show has one or two characters that are more developed than the rest, but better.

Too bad that had to go.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                          I can't green you, so I'll give you an

You bring up several good points. The focus on McKay was definitely not the only problem, and IMO, not even the biggest problem. The lack of continuity that you mentioned, and the problem with female characters are both bigger problems for me.
                          Yep. With me too. I mean I liked McKay, don't get me wrong, but when there's such a clear gender imbalance in terms of development I start worry.

The first season was passable. There was tons they could have done with Teyla that they never touched and Weir was stuck primarily voice of authority, but at least they were there and contributing. Plus, I felt like in the first season TPTB made less use of the cliches that made their way into later seasons.

Also, Teyla kicked ass which was nice.
                          sigpic

Comment

That might be true in a sense, but it was the season with better stories, better episodes, better team work, and a greater sense of family. Teyla was at least seemed much more important in season 1 then any other season.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                              That might be true in a sense, but it was the season with better stories, better episodes, better team work, and a greater sense of family. Teyla was at least seemed much more important in season 1 then any other season.
                              Oh without a doubt. S1 was most likely SGA's best. But I was trying to make the point that SGA has had inbalance issues since Day 1. Of course I saw the same problem SG1 too. A lot of Jack and Daniel and not enough Sam and Teal'c. Maybe inbalance is a general Stargate problem. They like to focus on certain characters and plots while neglecting others. They sure love that Ascension story arc too much
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Oh without a doubt. S1 was most likely SGA's best. But I was trying to make the point that SGA has had inbalance issues since Day 1. Of course I saw the same problem SG1 too. A lot of Jack and Daniel and not enough Sam and Teal'c. Maybe inbalance is a general Stargate problem. They like to focus on certain characters and plots while neglecting others. They sure love that Ascension story arc too much
                                I think the other part of the problem was the inconsistancy of the Writers, much more in SGA. The frustrating thing, they can do the odd briliiant thing and then it is lost for the next half dozen episodes. I think the Mckeller thing would be less of an issue for a lot of people if it was written or concieved better.

Comment

Working...
                                X