This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
    Nobody in Scotland eats haggis any other time than Burns night.
    I thought I'd actually scroll back to the first post to see what this thread is supposed to be about, and I have to take issue with the above statement.

Yes, most haggis is indeed eaten on or around Burns Night, but many people eat it at other times. I have it 3 or 4 times a year, whenever I'm in the UK and can pick up a MacSweens. The veggie haggis is not bad either.
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I'm at Glasgow Caledonian, which is seriously underrated...I love it, and I think it's a great Uni and a great environment to do a degree in.

It's only not so high up on the list cos it's such a new Uni...but it definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

As for haggis...YUCK! My parents love it, but it makes me boak!
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Aw sueKay, how can you not like haggis? It's the ultimate boil-in-the-bag food. Haggis is stuffed full of yummy ingredients like liver, heart, lungs, hooves, lips and *******s. LOL! Well, maybe not the last three. However...

It is indeed offal, truely offal.

Have to say though, I used to love haggis, neeps and tatties, but it keeps coming back on me now.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
          I thought I'd actually scroll back to the first post to see what this thread is supposed to be about, and I have to take issue with the above statement.
          It's a thread about Beckett's Haggis of course There was great debate as to if it was a haggis, and why his mother seemed to be serving her son an entire haggis when it was apparent that they were the only ones at the meal eating.

And though Astro is a Scot, it appears she has not lived in the right places in Scotland to find the pockets of sheeps gut loving glee.

Comment

very few people in Scotland love haggis...most folk suffer it a few times a year!

I was a bit annoyed when I saw Carson sitting down to haggis...cos sometimes stereotypes really annoy me!

I don't have red hair and the only times I've worn something resembling a kilt was when I did highland dancing.

On the other hand I like Irn Bru, Shortbread, Tablet, Scottish humour, folk music and I'm off to my local Highland games tomorrow
            Last edited by sueKay; 14 July 2006, 03:59 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
              I don't have read hair and the only times I've worn something resembling a kilt was when I did highland dancing.
              I've worn a kilt a fair bit, but I was in a highland themed social club (like a sorority) in university. God forbid there might even still be pictures of me in it on the net.

Comment

lol!

I actually see people wearing kilts every other day...be they city centre buskers or tourists or pipers!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
                  lol!

I actually see people wearing kilts every other day...be they city centre buskers or tourists or pipers!
                  My kilt was made for me by someone who was an authenticity fascist, so it had ALL the layers and length that was appropriate. The problem being that I was going to university in Mississippi. Wearing twenty yards of tartan wool in Scotland and wearing it in Mississippi are very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman View Post
                    Heheh You have no idea!

Hmm...what was it already? Irn-Bru tastes like sugary nails was it? I still want to try it XD Anyone feel like sending me a bottle from Scotland?

EDIT: And send a nice Haggis too
                    Didn't mean to be bringing a thread back from the dead but I just wanted to say it stuck to my head for so long that I moved to England and the first thing I did was buy a bottle of IRN BRU!

OMG! I love it! Tastes a bit like Cream Soda but not. I just wish I could find someplace where they do IRN BRU floats...
                    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman View Post
                      Didn't mean to be bringing a thread back from the dead but I just wanted to say it stuck to my head for so long that I moved to England and the first thing I did was buy a bottle of IRN BRU!

OMG! I love it! Tastes a bit like Cream Soda but not. I just wish I could find someplace where they do IRN BRU floats...
                      Huh? England? Didn't know it was sold down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
                        Huh? England? Didn't know it was sold down there.
                        Wut? They sell it supermarkets!
                        Tis also a personal favorite of mine. We don't have it often mind in my house cos I rarely get my way when it comes to food, but when we do it is fantastic. A real treat.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          Wut? They sell it supermarkets!
                          Tis also a personal favorite of mine. We don't have it often mind in my house cos I rarely get my way when it comes to food, but when we do it is fantastic. A real treat.
                          Aw, right. It's just that I wondered when Cpn. Bowman said that it could be bought down south.

Heh. We have rivers of the stuff in Scotland. Up here we don't have cold taps, we have Hot and Irn Bru. It's great for washing down a Haggis supper.

Comment

Here I am trying to quietly supress such blatent steriotypes in Bristol and what do I find in here? - Haggis, Pipes, The Kilt, The games, Edinburgh v Glasgow, and even Ssssshortbread!! I hate shortbread!!! I canna stand, detest, aboslutley willna' take any baheed goin on aboot bloody shortbrieed! Its mingin stuff, makes m'i wanna pan in the kloot that came up w'i it!! Its gi'in me the boak so it is!!! Ah'm aw up to hi doe now!!!!

(Deep breath)

So sorry folks, I had a slight relapse there.

In all the Uni talk, why has no one mentioned Dundee? I went to College rather than Uni but had a whale of a time there!

As for Haggis? Can't stand it, along with Whisky and, ahem, S, h, o,r, t, b, r, e, a, d!

I think I need a brew now. (Tea, not Irn!)
                            Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 02 January 2009, 09:15 AM.
                            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                              Here I am trying to quietly supress such blatent steriotypes in Bristol and what do I find in here? - Haggis, Pipes, The Kilt, The games, Edinburgh v Glasgow, and even Ssssshortbread!! I hate shortbread!!! I canna stand, detest, aboslutley willna' take any baheed goin on aboot bloody shortbrieed! Its mingin stuff, makes m'i wanna pan in the kloot that came up w'i it!! Its gi'in me the boak so it is!!! Ah'm aw up to hi doe now!!!!

As for Haggis? Can't stand it, along with Whisky and, ahem, S, h, o,r, t, b, r, e, a, d!

I think I need a brew now. (Tea, not Irn!)
                              Awwww! Embrace your Scottishness, mate! The world thinks you're hot! Use it!
                              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I really wish Irn Bru wasn't banned here in the states... something about the coloring being carcinogenic. What the...? I guarantee Mountain Dew is worse! There are a couple of places in Canada that sell it, but it doesn't help when you're an Irn Bru fan and live 500 miles south of the Canadian border.

Comment

Working...
                                X