No announcement yet.

Who is the gay character on Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woolsey has excellent taste in women! Conrad was a babe, no way can I believe that Woolsey is the gay guy. And yeah, he was married.

Now that people mention it, Lorne seems perfect. It's just hilarious, I can't take his character seriously now that I think of that. *Jumps up and down* "Oh my god it's the Wraith! Look at their cute little outfits!

But yeah, my vote is for Lorne.

Comment

I voted Lorne too... My gaydar almost blew itself up with him...
      Hes a great character, gay or straight! So it doesnt matter to me if they officially annoucne it. If his character stayed as interesting, Id give any show he were in a chance.

Comment

My gay-detector did a flip and burnt out when they introduced Kavanagh..maybe he'll come back after 3 years just to announce it to everyone.

Comment

Even though I wish Shep and McKay were, I think Chuck or Lorne are... not particularly together, lol, but we don't know enough about them and it's nice to think that. For me.
          sigpic
          The Tok'ra * Rodney McKay * Whump * Ba'al * // "Electric Sperm!" - Jason Momoa [25.10.09]

Comment

Originally posted by A_PophisandhisFran View Post
            I don't exactly like the "Rowling" way of doing it either though. It seems like a cheat. It would have been nice if they had given some very slight hints..
            J.K.Rowling gave a very strong hint about Dumbledore in one of her novels - the 'intense friendship' he had with another male during his youth. When she revealed he was gay I don't think it would have come as a big surprise to most of the older readers.

Originally posted by Briangate78
            I think Lorne is, because he likes to paint (Cited in Sunday) and used to like to go shopping at the flea market when he was younger (Cited in The Kindred)
            Men don't have to be gay in order to like painting. My son likes shopping and cooking but he's not gay so things like these don't count as clues either. All that we're left with is Lorne not going out of his way to look down women's low cut tops or having a relationship with a woman at some time or another.

My guess is that TPTB have looked at their SGA characters and picked one who they can say is gay because they never bothered to give him a background.. This is why I voted for Chuck.
            sigpic

Comment

Not lorne?!!?! my Poor clone
              Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
              Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                It's not Lorne because of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
                That policy (that dumb-a$$ policy I might add) doesn't stop soldiers from being gay. It could be Lorne or Chuck because as of yet we don't know anything about their romantic preferences. Personally though, sexual orientation shouldn't really matter on Atlantis because if people of all sorts of races, religions, cultures can work together, gays and straights can too. So if IOA and the military don't want to make total idiots out of themselves, they wouldn't even consider DADT an issue because it's not just an American expedition they're overseeing.

Lovely sig made by NewTrekker
                Thank you SG1 for ten awesome seasons!

Comment

I lean towards Lorne (because of things already pointed out - such as his artistic nature and penchant for shopping...even though that is stereotyping the guy).

Second choice would be Kavanagh, because he's a safe character to do something like this with...he's just the sort we love to learn little secrets about, like the fainting thing...and he probably has a relatively small fanbase. But he's just not in the show enough, so I don't think it would be him.

Same with Chuck - a relatively safe character to use in this way - we know nothing about him, and his fanbase is probably low compared to other, more visible, characters, so you risk offending fewer people (and yes, right or wrong - people will be offended).

Two other choices come to mind - Caldwell, and Ellis. I lean strongly towards Caldwell, but Ellis would be the more surprising reveal because he's so rigid. But Ellis is rarely in the show, and now Caldwell isn't around much, either. I don't know if the marital status has been given for any of these characters, either.

In the end, I think the first choice would probably be Lorne, simply because he's more visible, and has the larger fan following. However - that also creates a problem from the creator's standpoint. His fanbase is strongly established, and people have already developed their own opinions about the character, and those opinions will be strong ones. By suddenly revealing such an established character as gay, you really risk creating a tremendous uproar - worse than the McKeller debate.

So, what Mallozzi suggested is the best thing - introduce a new character, one that we don't know anything about, and reveal that one to be gay. This way you don't risk pissing off a character's established fanbase (which could create a very ugly pro/anti-gay debate), but instead you allow your audience to accept the character for what they are RIGHT from the start, and grow it from there.

That is the better option all the way round, especially when dealing with fiction and with fans who develop a very strong attachment to characters as they are, and often can't accept major change in them, especially after many years of devotion.

das
                  Last edited by dasNdanger; 09 December 2008, 05:12 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

... also could b Carson??

Comment

first of all, prop 8 and other real life gay rights issues....sooooo off topic. Just don't go there.

Second, the topic is speculation about the identity of an alledged gay character on sga, now a disseration about whether or not homoexuality is good or bad. So let's keep things on topic please
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Floo View Post
                        ... also could b Carson??
                        Carson isn't gay....he likes women too much to be gay. He could be bi....who knows....though seeing as he's not going to be in any more episodes, I doubt there will be any solid evidence pertaining to his romantic life.

Lovely sig made by NewTrekker
                        Thank you SG1 for ten awesome seasons!

Comment

And let me add to that, the speculation about a REAL PERSON'S orientation?????

soooooo off topic. Beyond off topic. So don't go there.

sigpic

Comment

I gotta say, and it's possible that the original comment didn't survive the 'troll cleanup', however the person that speculated that because one character has a lot of het female fans that thunk him, they won't make him gay to keep those women happy.....guys, have you checked out a chunk of the Daniel and McKay fandom?????? many fans of those two characters especially are het females, and they enjoy just as much reading/writing Daniel and McKay as gay.

In fact, Jack/Daniel is the most popular slash pairing out there. And I'd guess that McShep is the same for SGA.

so the presumption that, just because the male character is handsom and women like him makes him immune from being seen as gay???? it's false.

Personally? I hope they never reveal it because, a) it feels like a 'ok, never gonna have to deliver on this, so let's have fun with the fen' jerking of legs, b) the show is over, why bother? If you didn't have the cajones to do it while it was on the air, why muddle up things with revisionist history?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              And let me add to that, the speculation about a REAL PERSON'S orientation?????

soooooo off topic. Beyond off topic. So don't go there.
                              You're reading too much into it. And btw, there's a Mallozzi character on SGA. Go watch Sunday.
                              sigpic

Comment

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                X