This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oka
    Well, I did say that American's don't really have a reason to learn another language, why? I just explained that, lingua franca, blablabla.
    I can name one good reason, for spying. And guess what Americans do learn other languages for that. In fact Arabic is quite popular.
    ----
    There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
    serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
      I can name one good reason, for spying. And guess what Americans do learn other languages for that. In fact Arabic is quite popular.
      Come on! Spies are what, 0.0001% of the American population? Talk about grasping at straws.....
      We're whalers on the moon,
      We carry a harpoon.
      But there ain't no whales
      So we tell tall tales
      And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
        Come on! Spies are what, 0.0001% of the American population? Talk about grasping at straws.....
        You don't think Americans need to learn any other language. But they do, lots of them do, for lots of practical and intelligent reasons.

And mostly for the same reason non-English speaking learn to speak English.

And if the only reason you can come up for why the Chinese couldn't run the SGC any better then the American is because they can't speak English, then you lose, because they do.
        ----

Comment

How can it not be arrogant for anyone to say that Americans don't need to learn any other language?
          They don't, it's a primarily English speaking country, they don't have to learn anything. Most countries don't, that isn't arrogance, it's fact. Sometimes circumstance will cause someone to choose to speak another language, but that is far from necsesity.

And can someone tell me where it is canon that the Stargate acts as a universal translator? Because I cannot ever recall this.
          Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
            They don't, it's a primarily English speaking country, they don't have to learn anything. Most countries don't, that isn't arrogance, it's fact. Sometimes circumstance will cause someone to choose to speak another language, but that is far from necsesity.

And can someone tell me where it is canon that the Stargate acts as a universal translator? Because I cannot ever recall this.
            There are at least 2 million people in the US who can't speak English, and don't need to. (probably far more).

And for many reasons it's a neccesity for Americans to learn othe languages, I'm sure that's a major criteria for working in the foreign office. And I'm sure it really helps with trade in Asia. Trade makes money, and American business people like to make a profit, like anyone else, that's a huge incentive.

As for Gate as universal translator, someone else has to field that question, I just know that's been said on the show.
            ----

Comment

You don't think Americans need to learn any other language. But they do, lots of them do, for lots of practical and intelligent reasons.

And mostly for the same reason non-English speaking learn to speak English.

And if the only reason you can come up for why the Chinese couldn't run the SGC any better then the American is because they can't speak English, then you lose, because they do.
              I'm not going to argue that point because it was a joke. I don't think it matters if they can speak English or not, because apparently the "stargate" will translate anyway.

But yeah, I don't think think they could run the SGC any better than America. They don't have the technical expertise, they don't have the resources, they don't have the knowledgable people, they don't have teh experience, they are not a democracy, they don't have the earth's best intentions in mind - they would go out there take everything they could get their hands on, no doubt.
              We carry a harpoon.
              So we tell tall tales

Comment

There are at least 2 million people in the US who can't speak English, and don't need to. (probably far more).
                Personally, I think that they need to speak English. You move to another country, you should have to learn the language of that country. No if's and no but's.

And for many reasons it's a neccesity for Americans to learn othe languages, I'm sure that's a major criteria for working in the foreign office. And I'm sure it really helps with trade in Asia. Trade makes money, and American business people like to make a profit, like anyone else, that's a huge incentive.
                But, you just made my point. It isn't a neccesity for most people to learn the language. But some choose to in order to exist and work in the world you just discribed. But for average joe who works as a cashier at the bank, it isn't a requirement of their existance.

As for Gate as universal translator, someone else has to field that question, I just know that's been said on the show.
                You see, I don't remember this ever happening, it ever have been said. Therefore, I am going to jump out as say it's untrue, if for no other reason then we have met people in other planets that don't speak English.
                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Umm, does the gate really translate? Because if that were the case, why do we still (on occasion) have issues with communicating in the right language?
                  The Stargate alters travelers' brain chemistries in such a way that makes most languages mutually intelligible. The Ancients designed it to facilitate communication between worlds. While everyone speaks their own language, listeners can understand each other due to the Stargate's alterations.

Linguists are still important because the more natural linguistic capability a person has, the better the translation matrix imprint works on their brain. The reason we still occasionally have miscommunication is simply because the process is not perfect. Cross-species translations are also more difficult (humans can understand other humans better than they can understand an Unas, for example).

Also, the more you use the gate, the better the translation imprint becomes (which explains why we had a harder time understanding the Goa'uld and others in the first season than in the later seasons).

How does that sound?
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                    The Stargate alters travelers' brain chemistries in such a way that makes most languages mutually intelligible. The Ancients designed it to facilitate communication between worlds. While everyone speaks their own language, listeners can understand each other due to the Stargate's alterations.

Linguists are still important because the more natural linguistic capability a person has, the better the translation matrix imprint works on their brain. The reason we still occasionally have miscommunication is simply because the process is not perfect. Cross-species translations are also more difficult (humans can understand other humans better than they can understand an Unas, for example).

Also, the more you use the gate, the better the translation imprint becomes (which explains why we had a harder time understanding the Goa'uld and others in the first season than in the later seasons).

How does that sound?
                    I don't see how the Stargate somehow knows the grammar and vocabulary of every language in the Galaxy. I mean the SG teams can communicate with people who have never even been through the Stargates. How do they understand what the SG teams are saying?
                    We carry a harpoon.
                    So we tell tall tales

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler

How does that sound?

Best explaination ever! Honestly, I would so buy that if they said that on SG-1 or Atlantis!

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
                        I'm not going to argue that point because it was a joke. I don't think it matters if they can speak English or not, because apparently the "stargate" will translate anyway.

But yeah, I don't think think they could run the SGC any better than America. They don't have the technical expertise, they don't have the resources, they don't have the knowledgable people, they don't have teh experience, they are not a democracy, they don't have the earth's best intentions in mind - they would go out there take everything they could get their hands on, no doubt.
                        They don't have the technical expertise? China has been around a helluva lot longer then the USA, and their military experience is just as extensive.

They don't have the resources? We're talking about a country which has over 2 billion people, and a nuclear program. And a country that has a lot of economic clout in the world. Their market will eclipse the United States.

What does democracy have to do with security, or the military, or anything really.

They don't have the best intentions? Umm, the Chinese have the same intentions as the US, and any other country in the world, their own personal security, and like the US, they will invest a lot of money and technology to achieve it. And like the US they will invade other countries for it. China is not more or less altruistic then the US, and if you think the US does anything in the world other then for it's own security and economic gain, then you're very naive,

All nations are pragmatic that way, that's how the world works.
                        ----

Comment

But, you just made my point. It isn't a neccesity for most people to learn the language. But some choose to in order to exist and work in the world you just discribed. But for average joe who works as a cashier at the bank, it isn't a requirement of their existance.
                          I never said, nor do I think that all American need to learn another language, just that it's a necessity for some to.

The enemy isn't going to speak English just to make the US life easier and because it's the 'international language' so some Americans need to learn another language.

And it helps when it comes to allies as well. It's called diplomacy.
                          ----

Comment

I never said, nor do I think that all American need to learn another language, just that it's a necessity for some to.

The enemy isn't going to speak English just to make the US life easier and because it's the 'international language' so some Americans need to learn another language.

And it helps when it comes to allies as well. It's called diplomacy.
                            And yet you accused someone of being arrogant because they said that American's don't have to learn another language. Where you just admitted that the majority don't have too.

I tells ya, I am damned confused right now.

But in the end, what does the RL requirements of the US and the world at large have to do with Stargate Atlantis?

Comment

And yet you accused someone of being arrogant because they said that American's don't have to learn another language. Where you just admitted that the majority don't have too.

I tells ya, I am damned confused right now.

But in the end, what does the RL requirements of the US and the world at large have to do with Stargate Atlantis?
                              Because they do. Because all nations have to learn other languages. The US isn't exempt because currently it's the most powerful in the world.

And I didn't bring up this subject, Oka did.
                              ----

Comment

Because they do. Because all nations have to learn other languages. The US isn't exempt because currently it's the most powerful in the world.

And I didn't bring up this subject, Oka did.

The majority of American's don't have to leanr another language. The majority of American's are unlikely to ever leave North American soil for any great period of time. So really, the majority of American's can speak English and solely English and still function as a member of society. It is ridiculas to assume otherwise.

And it has nothing to do with being a member of the most powerful nation on the world, it has to do with reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X