This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Tyler
    They already have pretty much the same arrangement with the U.S. in the form of the ANZUS Treaty.Canada is a founding member.
    Except NZ and the US dont' talk to each other, and Australia has to mediate between the two, since NZ refuses to let any nuclear vessels in their area and the US is not happy about that

But no alliance is perfect.
    ----
    There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
    serious about something intrinsically silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
      I
      Imagine communist China controling the gate *shudders*.
      Who says they wouldn't do a better job in terms of security! Their method of command is different, it's not all fluffy, but maybe Earth would be safer.

I don't think we should make assumptions here. US run SGC has not been perfect.
      ----

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
        Except NZ and the US dont' talk to each other, and Australia has to mediate between the two, since NZ refuses to let any nuclear vessels in their area and the US is not happy about that

But no alliance is perfect.
        Heck, NATO allies fight all the time, but NATO is still going strong, expanding, changing...friends may fight, but when it comes down to it, we're there for each other when it matters. If Aus or NZ were ever in peril, the U.S. would not let them down.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Who says they wouldn't do a better job in terms of security! Their method of command is different, it's not all fluffy, but maybe Earth would be safer.

I don't think we should make assumptions here. US run SGC has not been perfect.
          They wouldn't be able to communicate with the people they'd encounter, because as you know; everyone in the galaxy speaks English.
          We're whalers on the moon,
          We carry a harpoon.
          But there ain't no whales
          So we tell tall tales
          And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
            They wouldn't be able to communicate with the people they'd encounter, because as you know; everyone in the galaxy speaks English.
            NO, the Gate translates everything into the dominate earth language. Which happens to be English.
            ----

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
              And even if that wasn't the case, I think the Chinese can speak English. In fact, I'm willing to be there are more Chinese who can speak English then Americans who can speak Mandarin and Catonese.
              ----

Comment

And even if that wasn't the case, I think the Chinese can speak English. In fact, I'm willing to be there are more Chinese who can speak English then Americans who can speak Mandarin and Catonese.
                I'm sure there are a lot of people who can speak English fairly well there - it's a huge country. But let's not forget the Chinese diaspora in America, it's quite large. Anyway, Americans don't really have a reason to learn Chinese because we already speak the world's lingua franca. English is all we need.
                We carry a harpoon.
                So we tell tall tales

Comment

NO, the Gate translates everything into the dominate earth language. Which happens to be English.
                  Is that official or just guesswork? It sounds really dumb.
                  We carry a harpoon.
                  So we tell tall tales

Comment

Umm, does the gate really translate? Because if that were the case, why do we still (on occasion) have issues with communicating in the right language?

NZ and US have their issues sure, but NZ will ally themselves with the US, if for no other reason that they don't have the means to protect themself if anything was ever to go wrong. So yeah, I think the US and NZ could settle and work together on the SG program if required.

As for China running the SG program, no thank you very much... I'd rather that never happened.
                    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
                      I'm sure there are a lot of people who can speak English fairly well there - it's a huge country. But let's not forget the Chinese diaspora in America, it's quite large. Anyway, Americans don't really have a reason to learn Chinese because we already speak the world's lingua franca. English is all we need.
                      That's so arrogant. I have no words.

More people in the world speak Spanish or Chinese then English, it JUST so happens the gate translates to English because the dominate language of the people who travel through the gate are English.

And I'm certain that most of the Chinese who are in academic, science professions speak English fluently.
                      ----

Comment

I think you are reading what he is saying in a too personal manner, because there was no arrognace there. Frankly, what he said is not completely incorrect, you just don;t agree. Disagreeing with someone does not equate to their arrogance.
                        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

More people in the world speak Spanish or Chinese then English, it JUST so happens the gate translates to English because the dominate language of the people who travel through the gate are English.

And I'm certain that most of the Chinese who are in academic, science professions speak English fluently.
                          Chinese and Spanish (debatable) may have more native speakers but millions of people have English as a second language. It is the world language, the language of commerce and education, fact. Oh, and I'm still not buying that BS about the gate translating everything somehow, retcon.
                          We carry a harpoon.
                          So we tell tall tales

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                            I think you are reading what he is saying in a too personal manner, because there was no arrognace there. Frankly, what he said is not completely incorrect, you just don;t agree. Disagreeing with someone does not equate to their arrogance.
                            How can it not be arrogant for anyone to say that Americans don't need to learn any other language?
                            ----

Comment

Originally posted by Oka
                              Oh, and I'm still not buying that BS about the gate translating everything somehow, retcon.
                              But it's canon.
                              ----

Comment

How can it not be arrogant for anyone to say that Americans don't need to learn any other language?
                                Well, I did say that American's don't really have a reason to learn another language, why? I just explained that, lingua franca, blablabla.
                                We carry a harpoon.
                                So we tell tall tales

Comment

Working...
                                X