This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateMan2000
    He puts the SGA team in check and makes sure they know who the enemy is.
    Spoiler:
    He knew all along that Michael couldn't shake his Wraith part.
    Plus, I have yet to see any SGA people with his fighting ability. I think he is needed as part of the group.
    Spoiler:
    Ronon is partially to blame for that. If he didn't attack Michael, they might have had more luck.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alfirin_kirinki
      Allegedy, Rainbow's fanmail was lost so they thought no one liked him. They wrote him out and then went 'Oops'.
      Erm, not sure I believe that one! Since when do TPTB care what the average fan thinks of a main character?. They had plenty of opportunity to make Ford a more rounded and interesting character in Season 2 if they wanted to, but felt Ford wasn't working out, and wanted someone more dangerous with more edge on the team, at least that's what they've all said in interviews.
      I liked Ford, but I prefer Ronon. He just has more presence on the screen for me. Ford was sweet, but that's about it for me.
      Ronon isn't my favourite character on the show, but I like the way he is, all grumpy,fists flying,needing to be controlled by Sheppard and Teyla. He can also get the team out of difficulties with his fighting and marksmanship, Ford couldn't do that.
      So I think Ronon being on the team is a positive thing.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
        He can also get the team out of difficulties with his fighting and marksmanship, Ford couldn't do that.
        So I guess you didn't see Rising, or 38 Minutes, or The Eye, or The Brotherhood, or The Siege, or Runner, or The Hive? Maybe you missed every episode Ford was in.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I agree, Ronan is virtually worthless except in melee battle. And he doesn't make it up for it with the crap he does when not fighting the enemy. Like his violence and general hostily against anything he considers a threat or dislikes.

Besides, he doesn't say anything. He's got, like, 5 lines an episode, an not in a cool Teal'c way. Get rid of him now. Give us some other guy, like, I don't know, Lorne!

Comment

I'm not impressed with Ronon either. He's a good melee fighter but to write instances where a melee fighter is useful against any enemy becomes unreal. Others have mentioned that he has a fairly good tracking ability but so should every soldier stationed on Atlantis. We're expecting the best of the best on Atlantis, not red shirts where they can be easily knocked down.

I think a main problem with Atlantis right now is that it's being written so that "cool" melee fighters fit into the show. They're doing it by making earth soldiers relatively incompetent. We've witnessed Weir knock out 4 US soldiers with nothing but her fists and Micheal escape two US soldiers with nothing but his hands. Oh, and the neverending stickfighting scenes with Teyla as if they're useful.

In short, Ronon is not Teal'c. Teal'c followed orders. Ronon has issues following orders in a military chain of command. Teal'c had useful knowledge of the Milky Way and Jaffa tactics. In a few episodes, Teal'c's unique immune system was responsible for saving the day against Aphrodite and the disease that the Abydonians had. There's nothing that Ronon provides that an earth soldier couldn't provide, in my opinion.
            Last edited by DetriusXii; 23 January 2006, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
              So I guess you didn't see Rising, or 38 Minutes, or The Eye, or The Brotherhood, or The Siege, or Runner, or The Hive? Maybe you missed every episode Ford was in.
              Ford was a good soldier but he was never an expert marksman the only time that stands out in my mind (pre enzyme) was when he shot the keeper in Rising. As for hand to hand he was cool in Brotherhood but he never realing fought (in melee) before the enzyme
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
                In short, Ronon is not Teal'c. Teal'c followed orders. Ronon has issues following orders in a military chain of command. Teal'c had useful knowledge of the Milky Way and Jaffa tactics. In a few episodes, Teal'c's unique immune system was responsible for saving the day against Aphrodite and the disease that the Abydonians had. There's nothing that Ronon provides that an earth soldier couldn't provide, in my opinion.
                Excuse me while I laugh hysterically for a moment...

Teal'c - followed orders?!

Did you forget that because Teal'c HAD to do that Jaffa revenge thing, he got stuck in the gate in '48 Hours' which cost the US gov't god knows what to get him out, plus toasted the ONLY DHD on the planet earth...

Follows order my a**

As for Ronon having issues, heck, they all seem to have issues to some degree, which makes them fallible (far better than perfect, at least entertainment wise). yes, Ronon's character needs developing, but Shep first. 1.5 years and still don't know much about him.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                  Excuse me while I laugh hysterically for a moment...

Teal'c - followed orders?!

Did you forget that because Teal'c HAD to do that Jaffa revenge thing, he got stuck in the gate in '48 Hours' which cost the US gov't god knows what to get him out, plus toasted the ONLY DHD on the planet earth...

Follows order my a**

As for Ronon having issues, heck, they all seem to have issues to some degree, which makes them fallible (far better than perfect, at least entertainment wise). yes, Ronon's character needs developing, but Shep first. 1.5 years and still don't know much about him.

Don't forget Teal'c's Jaffa revenge in Exodus which resulted in Apophis brainwashing Teal'c in Enemies. This was the first time T tried to kill the same Gu'a'uld (sp?) in 48 Hours. I love Teal'c, but when it comes to that whole Jaffa revenge thing he loses all persective.

So far I've seen Ronan follow direct orders from Sheppard.

Comment

I personally like him. He's a passionate guy and he makes the show more real. I mean a protagonist doesn't always have to be perfect and he isn't. That's what makes him a good character in my opinon. He adds a different element to the show. WHich I like..I hope they keep him. Try looking at his character as a person with Flaws...he's had a rough life, but he's trying right?! It's kind of hard to just be nice to a wraith(Micheal)... :/ I don't think he's Aidens relacement. I love the new Ford, hes a lot more complicated then before he took the enzyme.
                    Last edited by LadyBozi; 23 January 2006, 11:36 AM.

icon pic thanks Cathain Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                      Erm, not sure I believe that one! Since when do TPTB care what the average fan thinks of a main character?.
                      It came from the same source who told my friend (whom I trust implicitly and know would not twist stories) a lot of detail about the plot of season two, as she is involved with the show herself.

And it's not just a case of 'the average fan' - we're talking about it seeming like nobody liked him.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
                      ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                        Read through the thread

lots of Ronon bashing by people who never wanted Ford to leave.
                        And also: people who adore Aiden and Rainbow wanting Ronon to stay because they think he's a great character.

Ford was a good soldier but he was never an expert marksman the only time that stands out in my mind (pre enzyme) was when he shot the keeper in Rising.
                        And when did he ever miss?

As for hand to hand he was cool in Brotherhood but he never realing fought (in melee) before the enzyme
                        So, that'd be a 100% success rate, then. If they gave him more opportunity to, he could have been seriously kickass.

I don't think of Ronon as Aiden's replacement, anymore - but given the choice, I would have Aiden back.
                        Last edited by alfirin_kirinki; 23 January 2006, 11:25 AM.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
                        ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

I think the characters of Ronon and Ford have differed to the point where you can't really compare their characters except for the fact they hold a position on the flagship team. I was meh about Ford for much of season 1 and kind of meh about Ronon for much of this season, but he's growing on me. I think that he can be taken to some interesting places. I think the writers are having a little too much fun with the "OMG, he's big and he's got a cool super gun and OMG a SWORD!!!" aspect of his character, but give him a season. He'll mellow out. The writers will start concentrating on his human aspects, hopefully they'll have him ask himself why he's staying on Atlantis (because that could be a pretty darn good ep) and we'll have more of an actual character there.

Oh, and could they please please please stop putting him with Teyla constantly? Why must the aliens be together? I sense discrimination!
                          (anyone remember RSF's comment about the black side of the jumper in one of the commentaries?)

I'm willing to give it a bit of time, and considering the fact that Ronon was just introduced this season, I'd ask for more development before I ask for him to be taken off the show altogether.
                          They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                          Spoiler:
                          Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB
                            Don't forget Teal'c's Jaffa revenge in Exodus which resulted in Apophis brainwashing Teal'c in Enemies. This was the first time T tried to kill the same Gu'a'uld (sp?) in 48 Hours. I love Teal'c, but when it comes to that whole Jaffa revenge thing he loses all persective.

So far I've seen Ronan follow direct orders from Sheppard.
                            Once or twice... after being told off and stared down! And he does it with disdain!

Comment

I like Ford and Ronan, why not have both on the team?

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                                I like Ford and Ronan, why not have both on the team?
                                I'm pretty sure RSF's doing another show now. Besides, only 4 seats in the front of a jumper.
                                They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                                Spoiler:
                                Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X