This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    You could always drive everyone COMPLETELY nuts and factor in the commercial breaks so that things happen during the breaks and the audience misses them.

As for on topic, yeah, it's gotta be the wormhole thing. But there has to be some kind of twist to it. First off, how do you get a wormhole to stay open for 38 minutes, anyway? Is that if an object doesn't pass through? 'Cause usually, the team goes through and the wormhole shuts down automatically afterwards. And if there's something interrupting the event horizon, or if radiation or whatever is passing through, it'll stay open longer.

The question is, what scenario can you imagine where that 38 minute window would be vital? Last Wormhole to Earth doesn't really work for me.

They're in a puddle jumper, they activate the wormhole, the ship takes a hit and loses power, they need to get through the wormhole before it shuts down or risk falling to the planet below.

Team activates gate, sets bomb to blow up gate during next activation, then they get ambushed and can't get through.

I dunno. Someone's life has to hang in the balance. Could be a theme similar to 48 Hours...
    Good scenarios! Why would they not be able to just dial home again in the event that the wormhole closes? Is the dialing device damaged? Do we only have enough power to activate it once? When a wormhole is established from one galaxy to the next (instead of intergalactically), does the 38 minute rule still apply? Oh all very good questions, glad we're all on the same page now...

Comment

Originally posted by StargateSara
      Good scenarios! Why would they not be able to just dial home again in the event that the wormhole closes? Is the dialing device damaged? Do we only have enough power to activate it once? When a wormhole is established from one galaxy to the next (instead of intergalactically), does the 38 minute rule still apply? Oh all very good questions, glad we're all on the same page now...
      Maybe we'll be treated to some bizzare Star Trek NG ep where someone lives out an entire lifetime in 38 minutes.

Or maybe there is life inside a wormhole, (DS-9) and someone is stuck inside with them.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

well they way they can the wormhole open for that long is send a radio signal, or else trough it...and probably a lot of energy is needed...

Comment

Does anyone out there have any information on the episode "Thirty-Eight Minutes." All GateWorld lists is a guest star and I'd love to know more. Thanks!
          Last edited by Erik Pasternak; 23 May 2004, 06:03 PM.
          Rocky

Comment

RIGHT ON THE SAME PAGE!!!

Comment

It would be a great idea to see an ep play out in real time, and atlantis would be the perfect place to test it, if it works we might see something like it on sg1 if there is a season 9

Comment

I don't know, I don't think I would like to see an ep play out in real time. Seems like it's been overdone, especially with the popularity of "24". I like the idea of someone's life playing out in 38 or 42 minutes, but I have to admit, it reminds me of the 100 days planet from SG-1. Hmmmmmm........

Comment

I would like them to do just one episode in real time just to see how it works out. If it doesn't work, then quite simply it doesn't and they won't repeat that process again, or at least I hope they won't
                  __

__

Comment

At last! GateWorld has the first solid plot info on Just What The Heck This Episode Is About (courtesy of The Sci-Fi Channel):

"The Atlantis team is imperiled when their puddle jumper becomes lodged in the Stargate."

"Thirty-Eight Minutes" will air Friday, July 30 at 10 p.m. E/P on Sci-Fi! Check out the rest of the schedule, complete with descriptions from the network.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I like the sound of that. Could be very interesting... I guess the title does refer to how long they can keep the gate open, and that will be the time they have at their disposal to somehow get out of the gate before it shuts down at which point they will, presumably, perish.
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                        At last! GateWorld has the first solid plot info on Just What The Heck This Episode Is About (courtesy of The Sci-Fi Channel):

"The Atlantis team is imperiled when their puddle jumper becomes lodged in the Stargate."

"Thirty-Eight Minutes" will air Friday, July 30 at 10 p.m. E/P on Sci-Fi! Check out the rest of the schedule, complete with descriptions from the network.
                        I wonder which stargate they get lodged in, the entry stargate or exit stargate and which direction are the going - from Atlantis to another planet or another planet to Atlantis.
                        No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

For all those people that thought it didn't mean how long the gate can stay open..... why did you think it wasn't?
                          It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Hmmm... so why so dangerous? Perhaps they're entering an orbiting gate and something happens that gets them stuck, so like a third of the puddle jumper is in the event horizon, so it's like there's a puddle inside the ship. And if they can't get through in 38 minutes, the gate shuts off and they're suddenly exposed to the vacuum of space Of course their destination would also have to be somewhere where they can't just WALK through the puddle

Comment

Originally posted by Darren

Makes me wonder if the puddle jumper protects its occupants from the effects of being in a wormhole. Maybe they can walk around in their ship, see the composition of the inside of a wormhole, understand just how truly screwed they are if they don't find their exit ramp within the alloted time....
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea.. Stuck in a stargate? hm...
                                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X