This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    There was a movie... I forget the name, but it played out in realtime, too. ... It probably wasn't the first use of realtime in movies/TV, but it predates 24 and it was still interesting to watch.
    Actually, the very first movie to play out in real time is "High Noon" starring Gary Cooper. Very revolutionary at the time.
    Nmom
    sigpic

Comment

I think the real time movie you mention is Nick of Time with Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken. It was done in 1995.

I'm hoping the title just refers to the time a wormhole can remain open (without Anubis or a naquadria bomb, that is). The episodes are about 42 minutes in length on the DVD, including opening credits, but on SciFi they run an hour. If they try to run it in "real time", which time would they choose? I've never watched 24. Did they account for commercial time during broadcast or on the DVD?
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
        I've never watched 24. Did they account for commercial time during broadcast or on the DVD?
        Yes they did, because when we watched it in UK the episodes were only 45 minutes or something. They didn't bother changing it to 18 hours though for some reason...
        sum ergo cogitum
        I am therefore I think.

Comment

The episodes are about 42 minutes in length on the DVD, including opening credits, but on SciFi they run an hour.
          Uh,... I'm confused - not that that's unusual or anything "/. Surely the eps run about 42 minutes on SciFi, not 60 minutes?

Sheesh! I wish they were 60 min. long. Maybe then the stories wouldn't always feel so rushed.

It would work out well in real-time: 3 1/2 minutes to set up the plot in the intro, 38 minutes during which the Gate is active, and 30 seconds at the end of the ep for resolution, kisses & hugs and a pat on the back(or a kick in the pants) = 42 minutes.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
            Uh,... I'm confused - not that that's unusual or anything "/. Surely the eps run about 42 minutes on SciFi, not 60 minutes?
            Yes, eps on SCIFI are about 40-something minutes long, the rest of the time is wasted on commercials.

Comment

Wasted? But... Without TV commercials, how would we know what to buy or if our bodies look good enough?
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Men everywhere might forget to take their pills....
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Friends also did an episode in real-time, Season 3 Episode 2, The One Where Nobody's Ready.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Ha! I'll get you, Gipsy, and you're little dog, too! *cackles evilly*

Anyway, this is a McKay ep, so I'm not likely to be complaining... immediately. And isn't 38 minutes the max amount of time a wormhole will stay active? Will be curious to see how that correlates.

If it's gonna rip off anything, it'll probably be the ep 48 Hours, which ALSO featured McKay. What a strange coincidence... hehe

So there. No complaints. Yet. Just an observation...
                    I think it's very obvious that the 38 minutes is related to the max time a wormhole can remain established and maintained. It never occurred to me that it could be anything else until I read this thread. 38 Minutes is way too exact to mean anything else. Maybe the new Stargate (Atlantis) has different rules, maybe we assume that it only stays open for 38 minutes, and it has more (or less) capabilities than our current Stargate. I would be really surprised if the title referred to anything else. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                      I didn't mean to confuse anyone, sorry! Of course I meant that *if* a television episode were to play out in "real time", would they choose the 42 minutes of the episode runtime or would they choose the 60 minutes of the broadcast runtime and refer to action that takes place off-screen for the 3-4 minutes of commercials? If they chose to track 60 minutes, the effect would be lost (I think) on a DVD. If they chose to track 42 minutes, it wouldn't work on broadcast. I'm probably not making any sense at all and this has nothing to do with the idea of this episode.

If you've ever watched a real-time movie like Nick of Time or Timecode, it is interesting, but if you pause it or stop and come back later, you lose the effect of the passage of time.
                      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                      once done, cannot be undone...
                      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, sorry! Of course I meant that *if* a television episode were to play out in "real time", would they choose the 42 minutes of the episode runtime or would they choose the 60 minutes of the broadcast runtime and refer to action that takes place off-screen for the 3-4 minutes of commercials? If they chose to track 60 minutes, the effect would be lost (I think) on a DVD. If they chose to track 42 minutes, it wouldn't work on broadcast. I'm probably not making any sense at all and this has nothing to do with the idea of this episode.

If you've ever watched a real-time movie like Nick of Time or Timecode, it is interesting, but if you pause it or stop and come back later, you lose the effect of the passage of time.
                        If they do it all straight through for 42 minutes, it still makes sense with ad breaks. Are you saying you've never watching a show where no time passes during the ads? That's what sucks about 24, nothing EVER happens during the same short periods of time every hour (And of course all revelations have to occur just before the hour )

Comment

i think you all went WAY OFFTOPIC....the ep is prolly gonna be about how long they can hold gate connected to one destination...may be they opened a gate back to earth and have only 38 minutes before it closes....so they gotta do stuff...

Comment

You could always drive everyone COMPLETELY nuts and factor in the commercial breaks so that things happen during the breaks and the audience misses them.

As for on topic, yeah, it's gotta be the wormhole thing. But there has to be some kind of twist to it. First off, how do you get a wormhole to stay open for 38 minutes, anyway? Is that if an object doesn't pass through? 'Cause usually, the team goes through and the wormhole shuts down automatically afterwards. And if there's something interrupting the event horizon, or if radiation or whatever is passing through, it'll stay open longer.

The question is, what scenario can you imagine where that 38 minute window would be vital? Last Wormhole to Earth doesn't really work for me.

They're in a puddle jumper, they activate the wormhole, the ship takes a hit and loses power, they need to get through the wormhole before it shuts down or risk falling to the planet below.

Team activates gate, sets bomb to blow up gate during next activation, then they get ambushed and can't get through.

I dunno. Someone's life has to hang in the balance. Could be a theme similar to 48 Hours...

Comment

does the title have nythign do to w/ the supposed time a stable wormhole can be continously established ... just my thoguth and the first thing i thoguth when i saw the title.. that woudl be great for it to play in real thime!
                              dude

Comment

Personally i think the Atlantis gate will probably be able to maintain the wormhole longer since the Stargate itself is an advanced version of the gates we have in our galaxy.

Perhaps that the Wraith launch some attack like Sokar once did and they come to the conclusion that once the 38 minutes window passed, they're basicly screwed. heh
                                Teal'c: A serpent guard, a horus guard and a setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The horus guards beak glistens. The Setesh guard's nose drips.

Comment

Working...
                                X