No announcement yet.

The Tomorrow People (CW) NEWS/DISCUSSION/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a little distracting when the main "teen" character looks older than me I'll just pretend that he was held back 7 or 8 times

But anyway.. not sure about it yet.. The whole "able to teleport at any time but still kidnapped thing".. I get that it was part of the plot but still.. I'll give it a couple more episodes..

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
      Child labor, problematic. Short hours, absolutely no overtime, impossible to carry a lead role in a TV show. And if they're older by default, it's the experience that counts, probably.
      That's true. Same here for soapies in Australia. The "kids" in high school look old enough to be the teachers Makes it hilarious to take seriously.......

BTW who is the "she" in your sig? and why is she original?
      Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        It's a little distracting when the main "teen" character looks older than me
        Well, that's the problem I know nothing about And I'm sure it'll just go away by itself...
        sigpic

Comment

Child labor, problematic. Short hours, absolutely no overtime, impossible to carry a lead role in a TV show. And if they're older by default, it's the experience that counts, probably.
          That doesn't stopped shows like Skins in the UK from casting teenangers for teenagers roles. It pure laziness on the part of the producers and the casting agency. An I bet I could find actors in there 20s that look more teenangers than this lot.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            That doesn't stopped shows like Skins in the UK from casting teenangers for teenagers roles. It pure laziness on the part of the producers and the casting agency. An I bet I could find actors in there 20s that look more teenangers than this lot.
            Well, I looked it up, and Skins is a series made for teens, and because of that played by teens, and has 9 or 10 episodes per season. Compare that to The Tomorrow People.
            sigpic

Comment

Well, I looked it up, and Skins is a series made for teens, and because of that played by teens, and has 9 or 10 episodes per season. Compare that to The Tomorrow People.
              You've got to be kidding me right? If what you say is true, then this version of TTP is targeted for per-schoolers. Take a couple hours and watch some Skins, even the American version (which pales in comparison). Also, contrary to the beliefs of some, quality trumps quantity almost every time.

I know there are lots of folks who really like TTP. Each to his own, but I almost like the last version of this better than this one. Everything's a stretch in this one. But I guess it's doing ok in the ratings. Wonders never cease....

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                You've got to be kidding me right? If what you say is true, then this version of TTP is targeted for per-schoolers. Take a couple hours and watch some Skins, even the American version (which pales in comparison). Also, contrary to the beliefs of some, quality trumps quantity almost every time.

I know there are lots of folks who really like TTP. Each to his own, but I almost like the last version of this better than this one. Everything's a stretch in this one. But I guess it's doing ok in the ratings. Wonders never cease....
                I'm not comparing neither quality nor quantity. I'm comparing the logistics of doing 9 - 10 episodes per season to doing 20+ episodes per season if it involves minors. I don't know about the UK, but In America it's restricted by law how many hours per day can a minor be part of a film production. In serials there's always the pressure to finish an episode per week, and it's impossible without overtime. You can't have minors doing overtime, so they do the casting so it won't be a problem.
                sigpic

Comment

Gotcha. Misunderstood. I really like Skins, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                    Gotcha. Misunderstood. I really like Skins, sorry.
                    No probs.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not comparing neither quality nor quantity. I'm comparing the logistics of doing 9 - 10 episodes per season to doing 20+ episodes per season if it involves minors. I don't know about the UK, but In America it's restricted by law how many hours per day can a minor be part of a film production. In serials there's always the pressure to finish an episode per week, and it's impossible without overtime. You can't have minors doing overtime, so they do the casting so it won't be a problem.
                      Just have 18 to 19 years old doing it would help, I am pretty sure they aren't minors at least not in the UK. An as I have said you could find plenty of over 20s that look more like teenangers and can act like teenanges better than this lot, at any half decent drama school, look at Misfits for example an they act and look like teenangers most of them are in there late teens mids 20s. An waterloo road, which does 20 episodes a year with a large cast teenangers. An yes you have to work around issues such as how many hours they can work, you compensate that with good logistics and usually a larger cast overall.

An Falling Skies case several kids in main roles throughout the series. An Walking dead have increase the amount of children in roles on that show, which 16 episodes not much fewer than TTP

They casted people who suited their target audience instead of casting people who suited to play the roles, and that why you have people in 20s trying and failing to play characters still in high school. It they wanted to cast these actors they should have wrote character stories that suited them better.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 17 January 2014, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Or simply you're still young
                        Believe me, they look young enough to me. But to be frank it never bothered me. I'm sure they wanted Robbie Amell, and they wanted Madeleine Mantock. Robbie is and old fart (25), and I simply couldn't find the date of birth for Madeleine Mantock. Jacob Kogan is still a teen, and the rest of the cast is not supposed to be teens.

Also, casted?
                        sigpic

Comment

Getting of the casting issues and back to the show.
                          I liked how they had the Citadel, and what they were doing there, but disliked that even though John can now kill, he STILL does not kill any of the baddies? I mean come on. You are fighting for your survival and that of everyone of your kind. WTF over!
                          I am sorry but if i was able to pass this 'prime barrier' that prevents our kind from killing the enemy, i would build a BIG bomb, teleport it into the heart of ultra's building with a 1 second timer on it and teleport out just before it blows up. Start killing them for a change.

Comment

Well the show has finally started to air here in the UK on E4. And I've managed to catch the first couple of episodes. It has potential. I sense it may get better as the season goes on.

I have some theories which I hope to see.
                            Spoiler:
                            Cara and Stephen are related in some way. Hence their link. Cara has a secret she's hiding.
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

As just noted, above, the show has finally arrived in the UK.

Was interesting to see how much of the original spirit of the 1970s was trashed in this one in its vain and stupid attempt to capitalize on all the teen angst nonsense vomiting over our screens.

Instead of what, at present, appears to be just another pile of pretty vacuous time-filler (if you have that much time to waste) it could have been so much more interesting.

I'm veering between switching off after Ep.3 (last night) or treating it as a comedy of nonsense.

BUT, what it has done for me is give inspiration to craft my own alternative concept.
                              Blending elements of the original, with a sprinkling of Skins and Misfits, set back in the UK, where we can get down and dirty it could develop into a strong dramatic exploration of the theme of evolution and the conflict between generations.

Hmmm, nine pages of notes so far. Can't wait for Ep.4 and another round of giggles.

Occasional writer, fledgling film/TV producer with ambitions to launch a bold new vision for a Stargate TV series,
                              once I've raised the seed funding and credibility to attract Warner's attention.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yeah they pretty much trampled and trashed the ideas and concepts of the original series. But I think this one is the third attempt at a remake isn't it?
                                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X