No announcement yet.

The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't believe anything you see on IMDB. 90% of it is fake.

Its not in pre-production. Peter Jackson is not on board to direct...yet. and if he's not they are maybe looking at Sam Raimi...but its not sure yet.

here are a few articles:

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertain...86&p=z35y5589z

McKellen eyes Hobbit role
    21/10/2007 - 17:35:03

Ian McKellen would be "disappointed" if he could not reprise his role as wizard Gandalf in the movie adaptation of JRR Tolkien's novel 'The Hobbit'.

McKellen, who has appeared in the role in each of the three films from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, is eager to land the part - even though Peter Jackson will not be directing.

He says: "If I am still functioning and working well, it is very likely I would be asked to do it.

"I am glad to read that it is looking more and more likely.

"I would be disappointed if they didn't want to have the original Gandalf."

And the Lord of the Rings' original director Peter Jackson, who pulled out of the planned production due to a legal dispute with film studio New Line, has given his support if McKellen chose to appear in the prequel.

McKellen adds: "When Peter announced he had withdrawn from The Hobbit, he sent me an email saying: 'Because I am not going to do it, it doesn't mean you have to do the same. Of course, you must play Gandalf whether I direct or not'."
    and

http://www.film.com/movies/story/iss...97472/17031343

Well, Sam Raimi keeps getting the question and last week he answered it. Would he direct The Hobbit if Peter Jackson bowed out (over the long running dispute with New Line). His answer was a very polite, very political and I am very much paraphrasing here: Of course I would, are you nuts? I just won't do it if they're still screwing Jackson over. He has to sign off on me, first. Of course, the real question is: Should Raimi be the one to replace Jackson if he doesn't come back? In a word, hell yes!

Here's why:

It's fitting.
    First of all, Jackson borrowed a lot of inspiration from Raimi over the years. Hell, one need only look at Jackson's cribbing of Raimi's Evil Dead with his own equally brilliant Dead Alive (aka Brain Dead). As brilliant as Jackson's work is, trying to separate it from its predecessor is an exercise in futility. And if you want to see Raimi's influence on Lord of the Rings then take a gander at the initial scene in Fellowship of the Rings when the Hobbits first encounter the Ringwraiths. Whether meant as an intentional homage or an unintentional assimilation of Raimi's style into Jackson's DNA, that scene is so Sam Raimi it hurts.

Raimi's proven track record.
    Raimi showed to us with the first two Spider-Man movies that he could take material with a huge fan base, alter and modify it for the big screen, but stay true enough to the characters and concept to actually make movies that pretty much made everyone happy. Say what you will about Spider-Man 3, but that was proof of what happens when a studio messes with a genius. Raimi wanted to make a movie about the Sandman and the Vulture escaping from prison. The studio forced him to make a Venom movie because they thought that would somehow make them more money than a regular Spider-Man movie. The result was a movie that started brilliantly then went to hell the minute the Black Suit/Venom stuff kicked in. Raimi always said he never wanted to make a Venom movie. This is why you shut the hell up and let the guy who made two $800 million movies do whatever he wants to do.

Raimi's lack of ego in his work.
    The one thing I admire about Raimi is that his last few films (but most notably his Spider-Man films) all seem to be more about doing the story justice than they are about telling Sam Raimi's version of the story. Some directors feel they need to put all their own flourishes and touches on a film to make sure it stands out as their vision. Raimi puts just enough in for his fans, but makes sure that the film is about the material, not about how great a director he is. And that's why he's always comes across as a great director. It's the same approach Jackson took on Lord of the Rings.

Raimi's one of the only guys playing on the same level.
    Really, there aren't a lot of guys who wouldn't be intimidated by the vast scope of following in someone else's footsteps like Jackson. Raimi's walked down the road of that level of success. They share spots in the top ten together. Raimi won't be caught up in the meta-thinking of the whole thing. He'll do a job. And I'm convinced he'd do a good one.

C. Robert Cargill

Comment

way to dash my hopes and dreams . oh well i'm over it now. still it would be awesome if it gets off the ground
      Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
        way to dash my hopes and dreams . oh well i'm over it now. still it would be awesome if it gets off the ground
        Take a look at IGN who have a whole series of updates:
        http://movies.ign.com/objects/492/492768.html

I do not think the question will be if the movie is made, but merely when and who will direct. MGM and New Line simply will not allow this movie NOT to be made considering the profit potential.

Comment

ehm..............

SQUEAAAAAAAAAAA! can't wait!
          Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
          ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
          Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

YAY!! To tell you the truth I would be happy with either director.

That being said, hobbits generally respond better to directorial suggestions if they come from a fellow hobbit.

Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
            Quint Studer

Comment

I am really looking forward to this movie.

But, I will be deeply dissapointed if they
              1) Do not get the same actors to play Gandalf and Elrond (I could care less about Bilbo, since in the Hobbit he is decidedly younger--frodo's age--and I understand having a different, younger actor in)
              2) Don't keep it in the same style and flow that the LOTR movies had, it would be an insult to those wonderful movies if they didn't make it to match IMO (while I'm sure they will... you never know, I've learned not to trust hollywood)

I would very much like to see Peter Jackson direct it so as to not have a repeat of the X-men saga (*cringes*).

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                YAY!! To tell you the truth I would be happy with either director.

That being said, hobbits generally respond better to directorial suggestions if they come from a fellow hobbit.

i don't know a decent wizard can convince them to do anything
                Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                  i don't know a decent wizard can convince them to do anything
                  LOL!

True.
                  Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                  Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by idlewild202 View Post
                    I am really looking forward to this movie.

But, I will be deeply dissapointed if they
                    1) Do not get the same actors to play Gandalf and Elrond (I could care less about Bilbo, since in the Hobbit he is decidedly younger--frodo's age--and I understand having a different, younger actor in)
                    2) Don't keep it in the same style and flow that the LOTR movies had, it would be an insult to those wonderful movies if they didn't make it to match IMO (while I'm sure they will... you never know, I've learned not to trust hollywood)

I would very much like to see Peter Jackson direct it so as to not have a repeat of the X-men saga (*cringes*).
                    I feel the same. I think Jackson would be a perfect director for this, after all he's experienced in Tolkien's world now.

Other thing that I heard, that they want to do something with the Silmarillion, obviously they can't put the whole in film, it's just too big for that, just some main parts of it.
                    'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
                    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them'

SGA fanfiction I'm translating to english. It's a novel!

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen Undomiel View Post
                      I feel the same. I think Jackson would be a perfect director for this, after all he's experienced in Tolkien's world now.

Other thing that I heard, that they want to do something with the Silmarillion, obviously they can't put the whole in film, it's just too big for that, just some main parts of it.
                      Wow, they want to do the Silmarillion? Shoot... I was never able to make it through that book. I'd be impressed if they made a movie about that.

Proudly Supporting Team USA

Comment

Wow, they want to do the Silmarillion? Shoot... I was never able to make it through that book.
                        It's shorter than LotR... And imagine me, I only bought it in english, and never read it in hungarian. So Silmarillion was harder to understand for me. I think the so many name which are very confusing make it a little harder than LotR.

Comment

I'd be impressed if they made a movie about that.
                          me too. I read the book a few years ago and there are just so many stories in there I'd really like to know how they'll film that. and there's also the whole who's who problem. like Arwen Undomiel already said, especially the names are extremely confusing. it's a pretty challenging project but wth so was LotR right
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I've already said that they only intend do use some parts of, cos obviously the whole would be large. At least that's what I heard, it's only an idea of Peter Jackson I think.

Comment

Therewas rumours earlier this year that they would be making it 2 movies, for money of course.

Comment

I loved LOTR, and always hoped there'd be a Hobbit movie. I'm glad Sir Ian McKellen would come back, and if Peter Jackson directs it'll be dream come true.
                                P.S. Rotten Tomatoes has sporadic news updates on The Hobbit.
                                || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Working...
                                X